ImageImageImageImageImage

K-Rod traded

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Re: K-Rod traded 

Post#41 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:14 pm

I would expect the Mets to be talking with Reyes and his agent pretty hot and heavy while at the same time going over possible deals with other teams in quiet. I think option 1 would be to keep him at something right around what Crawford is being paid by the Sox. If that fails (i.e. Reyes wants significantly more) then I would think they will look to move him though, yeah, waiting for compensation draft picks might be good too.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,807

Post#42 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Reyes has proven this year that he can carry a team. Reyes for the most part has been in the lineup with the exception of Beltran a bunch of no names...Turner, Murphy (my favorite player), Bay (absolute scrub) ect.... and he has made the Mets relavent. Also our Ace pitcher has been out and another good pitcher in Young has missed the entire season.

I understand the Mets probably wont be winning division in the near future (next 2 to 3 years) but they sure can compete for a wild card position because the Braves our good but they aren't unbeatable.

Reyes is for sure a piece you build around because he effects the bottom line (W's). Wright I feel is expendable. He is a dime a dozen. Murphy actually has proven that given the oppurtunity can produce to some of Wrights level at a discounted price. Reyes is the type of talent that is a centerpiece of a franchise. If he goes your talking about insignificant baseball in Citi Field for the next 5 years or so.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#43 » by br7knicks » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:35 pm

yup, and as a mets fan, it looks like it's back to rebuilding for them.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,651

Post#44 » by j4remi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
j4remi wrote:The Mets MUST keep Reyes imo...to keep the fans.

The team itself is best suited to blow it up if they're only going to resign Reyes and not make a run. Beltran needs to be used to pick up some real pieces to the puzzle now.

I don't think Reyes really brings in the fans, as a NY franchise we will always be in the middle. If we keep up this Blue Collar Vibe that we got going I think the fans would keep coming up. I mean if we do keep Reyes we are waiting two-three years before we really can make some noise, are we really going to beat Philly in the next few years? Doubt it.

If Santana can return healthy, the Mets with Reyes can be good enough to compete with the Braves and Philly imho (I'm a Yankees fan btw). They may be the underdog, but they'll be in discussion, especially if they can put more bullpen help in there. They've had a lot of injuries to deal with and kept a decent pace thus far.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#45 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:16 pm

j4remi wrote:If Santana can return healthy, the Mets with Reyes can be good enough to compete with the Braves and Philly imho (I'm a Yankees fan btw). They may be the underdog, but they'll be in discussion, especially if they can put more bullpen help in there. They've had a lot of injuries to deal with and kept a decent pace thus far.

I don't think we will even see Santana this year, why even bother? Late August/Early September is the first that we will probably see him, he isn't going to make a difference. I do believe that the Mets aren't capable of going on streaks like the Phils or Braves, we simply don't have that pitching. We have pitching that is respectable, but won't shut teams down. I think we will see the Mets start to fall back a bit in the second half because we just don't have the talent on this team. I think with the point that the Mets are at now most fans gotta be happy especially considering the injuries. I mean adding Wright, Ike and Santana gonna make us compete this year? I doubt it, nothing wrong with that.

With 18 days left until the deadline Id be taking any offers for Beltran, Bay, Pelfrey, Reyes and Dickey. We should be sellers as we have some great pieces.

It's time for play Fernando and see what we got. [Assuming he stays healthy]
Call up Holt for a game or two even though he hasn't been great.
Call up Harvey, he seems ready and should be called up if we deal a pitcher.

Bottom line is that we simply don't have the resources which is a shame since we are a NY franchise.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
King of Troy
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#46 » by King of Troy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Agree 100% with MP.

Reyes is crazy overrated right now too. Great season, but its just that. Does he continue to hit like this? Or does he fall back to what he was at before? Are his past seasons worth the money? No. Plus he has been constantly injured, especially in recent seasons.

Trade the big $$ guys, do a real rebuild.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Honestly I don't think it's a contract year nor him playing over his head, this is Reyes when healthy. He has always been a great hitter and learned last year how to be more patient at the plate. We all know that he is a catalyst and a threat to score by himself, all this is known. He is a beast on the base paths and plays great defense. You put him on a team like Boston and he will be the talked about like the greatest thing since sliced bread. This is the Reyes that actually gave the Reyes/Jeter debates a few years ago legitimacy.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
NYMNYKFN10
Analyst
And1: 1,605

Post#48 » by NYMNYKFN10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:41 pm

People wanting to trade Reyes are acting like he's an aging player on the decline.

He's 28 years old, just entering the prime of his career.

You build around him, you dont trade a player like this.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 pm

How does one build around him though?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
NYMNYKFN10
Analyst

Post#50 » by NYMNYKFN10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:58 pm

When healthy this team, even as currently constructed should be able to compete for the playoffs.

They already have one of the best infields, assuming Wright and Ike come back healthy.

They just need to add some more starting pitching and they'll be in the race every year.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Should be able to yeah, however over the past decade we have seemed to fall short most years. Injuries have always killed us and it's been the same story ever year it seems. Wright-Reyes was every Met fans ideal future, it just never panned out like we hoped. At some point in time a change is needed and the writing was on the wall once Sandy got here. I mean Alderson is following the same exact pattern as Walsh did probably, clean house and revamp.

To add quality pitching you got to give up good prospects? Why even bother at this point in time. It's time to restock the farm with pitching. I mean were 8 games back now and we have been clicking. Without the sources we just can't compete with the other teams right now. It's time to **** or get off the pot for us.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
DeenNY31
Senior
And1: 48

Post#52 » by DeenNY31 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Mets are not as far off as some of you think. Trading Reyes would be beyond stupid and would cripple the franchise
The Mets are top ten in MLB in runs scored with two of their best Hitters missing two months!!
They are above .500 with no Wright, Ike, and missing their best pitcher Santana

If they keep Reyes they can definite compete in the NL and make the playoffs. No they won't be better than the phillies but by continuing to develop young pitching the Mets can be pretty good
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Has there been any indication on wether Einhorn will be the Mets version of Mark Cuban?
NYMNYKFN10
Analyst

Post#54 » by NYMNYKFN10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Should be able to yeah, however over the past decade we have seemed to fall short most years. Injuries have always killed us and it's been the same story ever year it seems. Wright-Reyes was every Met fans ideal future, it just never panned out like we hoped. At some point in time a change is needed and the writing was on the wall once Sandy got here. I mean Alderson is following the same exact pattern as Walsh did probably, clean house and revamp.

To add quality pitching you got to give up good prospects? Why even bother at this point in time. It's time to restock the farm with pitching. I mean were 8 games back now and we have been clicking. Without the sources we just can't compete with the other teams right now. It's time to **** or get off the pot for us.

We're "clicking" even though 3/4 of our starting infield is on the DL. We're above .500 despite having a bunch of AAA players in our lineup.

Just think about what this team could do if/when healthy.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 pm

DeenNY31 wrote:Mets are not as far off as some of you think. Trading Reyes would be beyond stupid and would cripple the franchise
The Mets are top ten in MLB in runs scored with two of their best Hitters missing two months!!

If they keep Reyes they can definite compete in the NL and make the playoffs. No they won't be better than the phillies but by continuing to develop young pitching the Mets can be pretty good

Santana 24 Million
Jason Bay 18 Million
Wright 15 Million, do we resign him next year?
Reyes 20 Million?

That's 77 Million tied up in four players. With the moves that were making I think it's quite obvious that we're cutting bait right now and salaries.

Santana - Dickey - Niese - Gee
Pelfrey will be facing arbitration. That's our rotation?

Is Reyes replaceable? Hell no.
Do I want to see Reyes go? Hell no.

However until we know what the deal with the finical status of this team we can't assume that we will be spenders. Hell we didn't even spend a dime this offseason really, we took some low risk high reward chances.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
DeenNY31 wrote:Mets are not as far off as some of you think. Trading Reyes would be beyond stupid and would cripple the franchise

Santana 24 Million
Jason Bay 18 Million
Reyes 20 Million?

That's 77 Million tied up in four players. With the moves that were making I think it's quite obvious that we're cutting bait right now and salaries.

However until we know what the deal with the finical status of this team we can't assume that we will be spenders. Hell we didn't even spend a dime this offseason really, we took some low risk high reward chances.

If the Nets somehow manage to shed themselves of Bay and Santana (I would personally look to deal Wright before I deal Reyes) even if they sign Reyes to a $20 million per deal they can bring other big dollar guys on board. Not sure how different having Einhorn as the majority owner will do but just being in NY in a new stadium I think guarantees that the Mets aren't ever going to be the Pirates in terms of spend thriftiness.

What the Mets have done is made some really bad decisions with their money (under Minaya). Have to assume that Sandy Alderson would make better decisions. It looks like that step 1 is clear (get rid of big bad contracts that don't fit your future plans). Step 2 may actually be to then go out and sign some guys that can better fit the team. Can they compete with the Phillies? Probably not likely but that doesn't mean you don't try.

I think the only way you move Reyes is if you get the sense that he doesn't want to be a met or he throws out some outrageous new contract number that you simply aren't going to go near.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#57 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:35 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

Santana 24 Million
Jason Bay 18 Million
Reyes 20 Million?

If the Nets
somehow manage to shed themselves of Bay and Santana (I would personally look to deal Wright before I deal Reyes) even if they sign Reyes to a $20 million per deal they can bring other big dollar guys on board. Not sure how different having Einhorn as the majority owner will do but just being in NY in a new stadium I think guarantees that the Mets aren't ever going to be the Pirates in terms of spend thriftiness.

What the Mets have done is made some really bad decisions with their money (under Minaya). Have to assume that Sandy Alderson would make better decisions. It looks like that step 1 is clear (get rid of big bad contracts that don't fit your future plans). Step 2 may actually be to then go out and sign some guys that can better fit the team. Can they compete with the Phillies? Probably not likely but that doesn't mean you don't try.

I think the only way you move Reyes is if you get the sense that he doesn't want to be a met or he throws out some outrageous new contract number that you simply aren't going to go near.

:dontknow:

i think if mets are sellers, they need to sell every1...cant do it half heartedly, i mean if they win enough games but barely miss the POs, doesnt that hurt their draft position (which long term is important?)
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:52 pm

moocow007 wrote:
If the Nets somehow manage to shed themselves of Bay and Santana (I would personally look to deal Wright before I deal Reyes) even if they sign Reyes to a $20 million per deal they can bring other big dollar guys on board. Not sure how different having Einhorn as the majority owner will do but just being in NY in a new stadium I think guarantees that the Mets aren't ever going to be the Pirates in terms of spend thriftiness.

Along with what Pharm said, if your selling off players, don't do it half ass. I can't see a team dealing for Bay, considering he has had one good week over the past two years. I mean if you move Santana, why no blow it all up? All that does is make us lose our Ace and top pitcher.

Who really knows what the deal is with Einhorn and his ability to purchase the team in a few years. By us moving Rodriguez why would we go out and contend after that? Hell who is going to be our closer? Is it safe to assume that Parnell will step in nicely? Can Izzy recapture the old glory? Why not just keep Frankie? It's obvious we don't want his salary, that's only 18 Million.

Reyes is looking for a Crawford esque contract, lets face it he will get more. That's 22-24 million because A- He is a legit game changer. B- He is a great short stop. C- He plays much more of a value position.

You don't dump Frankie to resign Reyes, I think trying to use that logic just means your in denial.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Here's a blurb about the K-Rod situation:

The Mets called around and offered similar deals to other teams, including the Yankees, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney. He says the Brewers were willing to take on more money than any other team. Alderson told the Brewers they had other deals for Rodriguez, so they'd have to pull the trigger now to get him, tweets Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. The Yankees declined because they were wary of having two emotional relievers - K-Rod and Rafael Soriano - working before their preferred ninth inning, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,651

Post#60 » by j4remi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
j4remi wrote:If Santana can return healthy, the Mets with Reyes can be good enough to compete with the Braves and Philly imho (I'm a Yankees fan btw). They may be the underdog, but they'll be in discussion, especially if they can put more bullpen help in there. They've had a lot of injuries to deal with and kept a decent pace thus far.

I don't think we will even see Santana this year, why even bother? Late August/Early September is the first that we will probably see him, he isn't going to make a difference. I do believe that the Mets aren't capable of going on streaks like the Phils or Braves, we simply don't have that pitching. We have pitching that is respectable, but won't shut teams down. I think we will see the Mets start to fall back a bit in the second half because we just don't have the talent on this team. I think with the point that the Mets are at now most fans gotta be happy especially considering the injuries. I mean adding Wright, Ike and Santana gonna make us compete this year? I doubt it, nothing wrong with that.

With 18 days left until the deadline Id be taking any offers for Beltran, Bay, Pelfrey, Reyes and Dickey. We should be sellers as we have some great pieces.

It's time for play Fernando and see what we got. [Assuming he stays healthy]
Call up Holt for a game or two even though he hasn't been great.
Call up Harvey, he seems ready and should be called up if we deal a pitcher.

Bottom line is that we simply don't have the resources which is a shame since we are a NY franchise.

I'm talking about next year. A full season of Santana, Ike and Wright could really make a difference with this team. They're competing with a handful of quality players. I just wouldn't sell the farm. Dump K-Rod, use Beltran for some prospects and call up one of your OF's prospects to get big league at-bats. Re-sign Reyes and make moves for a better bullpen (not necessarily closer, just more steady arms that you can TRUST)...and you have a legitimate shot.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Mets