ImageImageImageImageImage

BREAKING NEWS: CC SABATHIA PICKS YANKEES

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

BREAKING NEWS: CC SABATHIA PICKS YANKEES 

Post#1 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 am

LAS VEGAS – CC Sabathia is not going to play on the West Coast. He is not going to play in the National League. CC Sabathia is going to be a Yankee, The Post has learned exclusively.

After three straight days of face-to-face meetings between GM Brian Cashman and Sabathia, the big lefty decided he wants to spend the next six years of his career as a Yankee. The decision came late last night after Cashman flew to see Sabathia at his home in San Francisco. By the time the meeting was concluded, Sabathia had informed the Yankees that he had made his decision to call New York his baseball home, the Post has learned.

There are still minor hurdles to finalize, notably that Sabathia must pass a physical. But after so much belief that Sabathia was stalling because he wanted to avoid New York, he agreed to the largest pitching contract in major league history, at least $140 million.

It means that the Yankees have lassoed the player they were building their offseason around: An ace in his prime. Sabathia is just 28, and last year between the Indians and Brewers he went 17-10 with a 2.70 ERA. The previous season he won the AL Cy Young. Now he is the first major new piece to be put into the new Yankee Stadium

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12102008/sp ... 143481.htm
Dwade03
Head Coach
And1: 200

Re: BREAKING NEWS: CC SABATHIA PICKS YANKEES 

Post#2 » by Dwade03 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:07 pm

Congrats guys, sad to seem em go :(
Fire Hammond

TKF wrote:Lue is a jackass
Oct 16th 1968
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Oct 16th 1968 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Enjoy...

:(

Lconte17
Senior

Post#4 » by Lconte17 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:54 pm

I like the deal... Mainly because u have to look at it in 2 parts.

the first deal is 3 years and 69 mil, CC has an opt out clause then... and if the yankees think for even the slightest come 2011 that hell opt out they will trade him. if not and he wants to stay, the final 4years are 92 mil
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#5 » by GuyverADL » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:27 pm

Baseball players are signing deals like that? Wow
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 709

Post#6 » by pwayknicks » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:38 pm

As a met fan ... thank god...

1. No CC to the Dodgers, Giants or whoever else in the NL
2. Mets dont get him....7 years is wayyyyy to much for him IMO
3. Yankees will look like idiots in 3 years......

He'll do well this year and probably next, but this is a guy who has pitched 225+ innings for a couple years now, I smell breakdown......
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
NYC2BGI
Starter
And1: 1

Post#7 » by NYC2BGI » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:57 pm

I thought that he wanted to sign with a California team but since none offered as much as the Yankees, we got him. He also wanted to stay in the National League so that he could hit but again money talks and bull---- walks.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#8 » by Red Vines » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:26 pm

I love the Yankees, I love CC, but I hate the way we can just buy almost any player on the market...seriously...
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,012

Post#9 » by Pharmcat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:16 pm

i dont like this 7 yr deal

the opt out should be a mutual thing

but watever
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,012

Post#10 » by Pharmcat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:19 pm

wats the point of adding that extra year?

we just bid against ourselve, again
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#11 » by cmaff051 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:34 pm

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I don't care about the 7th year. It is useless to get all bent out of shape about it. The Yankees placed a high premium on landing Sabathia. If adding a 7th year was neccesary to make absolutely sure he didn't go elsewhere, then it was a necessary evil.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#12 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:51 pm

How long has it been since the Yankees have had a guy to match up with the Halladays and Becketts of the world? How many times is that ALL people complain about? Now we finally have that guy, and now people are going to complain about an extra year on his contract. Come on guys, this is a legitimate ace who already has a cy young award in the AL from just one year ago, he is no slouch.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:53 pm

pwayknicks wrote:As a met fan ... thank god...

1. No CC to the Dodgers, Giants or whoever else in the NL
2. Mets dont get him....7 years is wayyyyy to much for him IMO
3. Yankees will look like idiots in 3 years......

He'll do well this year and probably next, but this is a guy who has pitched 225+ innings for a couple years now, I smell breakdown......

The same was said for Johan a year ago, and even I said it (and I still think it will be true). A guy like Johan isn't very big and has taken on an extremely large workload in the past 5 years, and in each year has had all of his peripherals fall. The same may happen for Sabathia, that's the risk in giving big time pitchers big time contracts. Nobody in the history of these large contracts for pitchers has gotten a good return on their investment.
Lconte17
Senior

Post#14 » by Lconte17 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:01 pm

yah i could careless about that extra year... if CC stays to the end of this contract he is still going to be what, 35... So all 7 years are during the prime of his career. and with this opt out... as i stated before, I'm sure after the AROD bs last year, Cashman will want to know his thought on the opt out prior to the trade deadline. Which if he plans on opting out. we can trade him away get something for him. The Contract seems to be written out well from what ive heard.

We are getting a pitcher who is a bonafide Ace, who has dominated teh AL won a cy young. Now match him up with Wang who is a clearly an Ace as well. Match him up with 2 of Pettitte/Sheets/Lowe/BUMnet with Joba/Hughes/Kennedy as the 5. Id prefer to get Sheets cause he is an Ace when he is healthy. So potentially we can have three #1 guys followed by a solid #2 pitching the fourth spot. We are talking one serious Rotation.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#15 » by cmaff051 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:06 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:How long has it been since the Yankees have had a guy to match up with the Halladays and Becketts of the world? How many times is that ALL people complain about? Now we finally have that guy, and now people are going to complain about an extra year on his contract. Come on guys, this is a legitimate ace who already has a cy young award in the AL from just one year ago, he is no slouch.

Amen. It would be foolhardy for the Yankees to tighten their purse strings and play hardball with Sabathia. Sabathia knows the Yankees need him. The Yankees know they need Sabathia. A few extra dollars to spice up his contract offer to make sure he wouldn't go elsewhere was a good idea. Don't let Sabathia have second thoughts. Our offseason would be ruined if we came away empty in the C.C. sweepstakes.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Lconte17 wrote:yah i could careless about that extra year... if CC stays to the end of this contract he is still going to be what, 35... So all 7 years are during the prime of his career. and with this opt out... as i stated before, I'm sure after the AROD bs last year, Cashman will want to know his thought on the opt out prior to the trade deadline. Which if he plans on opting out. we can trade him away get something for him. The Contract seems to be written out well from what ive heard.

We are getting a pitcher who is a bonafide Ace, who has dominated teh AL won a cy young. Now match him up with Wang who is a clearly an Ace as well. Match him up with 2 of Pettitte/Sheets/Lowe/BUMnet with Joba/Hughes/Kennedy as the 5. Id prefer to get Sheets cause he is an Ace when he is healthy. So potentially we can have three #1 guys followed by a solid #2 pitching the fourth spot. We are talking one serious Rotation.

Exactly, having an ace like Sabathia makes the rotation so good not just because of his talent but because it forces everybody to slide down a spot. We all know Wang is excellent, but we also realize he isn't necessarily the guy you match up with Halladay and such. We all know Joba has the potential to be a cy young winner but isn't there yet, he has all the talent but needs to last through a season or two as a starter pitcher to really grow. The same can be said for Hughes.

Having Sabathia as the #1 does wonders, but what really can make this rotation special is having Wang as a #2 and Joba as a #3, when all 3 may be considered ace type pitchers by the end of the season if all goes as planned health-wise for Joba. Then like you said if we throw in somebody like Sheets, there is another #1-#2 guy when healthy. Finish the rotation off with Pettitte who isn't a top flight starter, but would be maybe the most reliable back of the rotation starter in baseball.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by HCYanks » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:02 pm

You can make the argument that the Yankees' lack of ready position players on the farm would have made building the offseason around Teix more worthwhile. But ultimately, guys like him show up on the free agent market a lot more often than certifiable aces.

There's almost always risk involved with any pitcher signing, but with C.C. it doesn't seem like an immediate concern. He's thrown a lot of innings, but his numbers have shown no decline yet. According to BP's pitching abuse points stat, he also wasn't racking up particularly high pitch counts before 2008. And the couple of bad postseason starts aren't enough of a sample size to make any conclusions about. In fact, his splits from the past few seasons say his best work comes in August and September. So yeah, I don't see any immediate cause for concern like there was with someone like Barry Zito.
cold5
Veteran
And1: 115

Post#18 » by cold5 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:21 pm

NYK Gm, why do you still have Tabata on your sig? Are u a closet Pirates fan? But anyways, good signing. He should be able to help in getting you into the playoffs. But he sux in the postseason. Although, the contract was too much if he bombs. What's the status with Wang? Cuz if he gets back healthy and still has his stuff, and the yanks get one of sheets, burnett, or lowe. That's one great 1-2-3 punch.
Rotation
1. Sabathia
2. Burnett/Lowe/Sheets
3. Wang
4. Hughes
5. ?
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#19 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:51 pm

cold5 wrote:NYK Gm, why do you still have Tabata on your sig? Are u a closet Pirates fan? But anyways, good signing. He should be able to help in getting you into the playoffs. But he sux in the postseason. Although, the contract was too much if he bombs. What's the status with Wang? Cuz if he gets back healthy and still has his stuff, and the yanks get one of sheets, burnett, or lowe. That's one great 1-2-3 punch.
Rotation
1. Sabathia
2. Burnett/Lowe/Sheets
3. Wang
4. Chamberlain
5. Pettite or Hughes

Fixed
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Post#20 » by MetroDrugUnit » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:58 am

Lconte17 wrote:I like the deal... Mainly because u have to look at it in 2 parts.

the first deal is 3 years and 69 mil, CC has an opt out clause then... and if the yankees think for even the slightest come 2011 that hell opt out they will trade him. if not and he wants to stay, the final 4years are 92 mil

So what makes anyone think he'll walk away from 92 Million and 4 years. New York isn't that bad. Not ever gonna happen, Yanks are on the hook for the whole deal.

Return to New York Yankees