ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Minor League News Thread - 2007

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#741 » by 34Celtic » Fri Sep 7, 2007 3:11 am

just for the record i'm only higher on Harvey than I am on Brackman...damn i'm making these kids sound like drugs
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
rappa
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#742 » by rappa » Sun Sep 9, 2007 6:50 am

btw 34celtic, dont try and tell me my scouting report is from mlb.com, my report is a from a head scout himself, who btw saw harvey at the end of may, not in april
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#743 » by 34Celtic » Sun Sep 9, 2007 3:59 pm

As is mine, who has seen Harvey since he was a freshman in high school, in state tournament games, in summer ball, for team USA, etc.
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
rappa
Bench Warmer

Post#744 » by rappa » Sun Sep 9, 2007 9:03 pm

I doubt that, if your head scout liked him that much, his input alone would of been enough to get his team to draft him, sorry.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#745 » by 34Celtic » Sun Sep 9, 2007 11:11 pm

Your scout must work for Pittsburg huh?
rappa
Bench Warmer

Post#746 » by rappa » Sun Sep 9, 2007 11:19 pm

no but yours obviously must be since the report he gave you has this kid pegged as a definite ace, if he was that good, like rick porcello was, he would of gotten the money he wanted no matter what
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#747 » by cmaff051 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:37 am

Hopefully Jose Tabata and Austin Jackson are ready for the majors by September 2008. :D

I could see these kids getting fast tracked now that Arod is gone. They would spend April, May and June in AA and if they are hitting well they get sent to AAA for the stretch run there. When the minor league season is over, both of them would get promoted to the majors.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#748 » by Pharmcat » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:37 am

im excited for this upcoming draft

the yanks need to score , and with cash, i know they will
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#749 » by 34Celtic » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:11 pm

The Kandi Man Rocks wrote:im excited for this upcoming draft

the yanks need to score , and with cash, i know they will

I'd like to shy away from guys who need TJ surgery this year. In trades and the draft.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#750 » by Pharmcat » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:13 pm

34Celtic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'd like to shy away from guys who need TJ surgery this year. In trades and the draft.

but if u think bout, its a great baseball strategy for the yanks

say we draft late in the 1st round: we have the perfect oppurtunity to pick up top 10 talent who fall due to injury concerns...we can pick them up and get em fixed up (while still paying them well, signability less of a concern) and reap the rewards later on (its a risk/reward)....but i think its well worth it..its the backdoor to getting top talent when u dont have a high pick

however, we need to focus more on positional players anyway right now i think
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#751 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:26 pm

The Kandi Man Rocks wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

but if u think bout, its a great baseball strategy for the yanks

say we draft late in the 1st round: we have the perfect oppurtunity to pick up top 10 talent who fall due to injury concerns...we can pick them up and get em fixed up (while still paying them well, signability less of a concern) and reap the rewards later on (its a risk/reward)....but i think its well worth it..its the backdoor to getting top talent when u dont have a high pick

however, we need to focus more on positional players anyway right now i think

The positional players are catching up. Tabata was our only real main position prospect before the 2007 season, but then Jackson blew up and some may even view him as the better prospect of the two. Also, Montero made tremendous progress and he too will start gaining high regard by this time next year (even though we pay attention to these guys at 16-18 years old, people around the country don't care until players dominate A ball or even AA). In this past draft, I believe that our 2 best draft picks were position players (Romine and Angelini), and Suttle may not be far behind those two. Cervelli is also one to watch, he has the potential to be maybe the best defensive catcher in the majors at some point, as long as his bat continues to develop so he can be a starter.

And lets not forget about all of our high ceiling Latin players who haven't even scratched the surface of baseball in America. Give it time, they're coming quickly.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#752 » by Pharmcat » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:39 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The positional players are catching up. Tabata was our only real main position prospect before the 2007 season, but then Jackson blew up and some may even view him as the better prospect of the two. Also, Montero made tremendous progress and he too will start gaining high regard by this time next year (even though we pay attention to these guys at 16-18 years old, people around the country don't care until players dominate A ball or even AA). In this past draft, I believe that our 2 best draft picks were position players (Romine and Angelini), and Suttle may not be far behind those two. Cervelli is also one to watch, he has the potential to be maybe the best defensive catcher in the majors at some point, as long as his bat continues to develop so he can be a starter.

And lets not forget about all of our high ceiling Latin players who haven't even scratched the surface of baseball in America. Give it time, they're coming quickly.

thats great to hear, btw, what do u think of brackman, think he will be made into a reliver once he recovers from surgery?

also, check ur pm :wizard:
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#753 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:32 am

The Yankees signed Brackman to be a starting pitcher. The only thing that can change that is if he proves his arm can't handle being a starter. Otherwise, expect him to pick up where he left off as a starting pitcher.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#754 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:34 am

Also, when do you guys think I should make the minors thread for next season? Should it be now so all offseason discussion is put towards next year (which probably makes more sense), or let the offseason stuff stay in the 2007 thread?
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#755 » by Jitpal » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:37 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:Also, when do you guys think I should make the minors thread for next season? Should it be now so all offseason discussion is put towards next year (which probably makes more sense), or let the offseason stuff stay in the 2007 thread?

I say let's do it now. On another note, I've been thinking of signing up for Pinstripes Plus, is it worth it? -Jitpal
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#756 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:18 am

Jitpal wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I say let's do it now. On another note, I've been thinking of signing up for Pinstripes Plus, is it worth it? -Jitpal

100% worth it, it's an absolute no brainer. Just to get the info they provide is totally worth it, but then they throw in SI and it's icing on the cake.

I'll start an in depth minor league thread tomorrow for 2008.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#757 » by Pharmcat » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:26 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:The Yankees signed Brackman to be a starting pitcher. The only thing that can change that is if he proves his arm can't handle being a starter. Otherwise, expect him to pick up where he left off as a starting pitcher.

so he takes all of 2008 to recover, and then project him to start in 2009?
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#758 » by Pharmcat » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:41 pm

^^only reason i ask is cuz i know hes got a good 4 and 2 seamer fastball, and hits around 97 on the gun...but i also know his curve needs more work and his chageup is avg....does have the arsenal to be a legit SP?
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#759 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:24 pm

He definitely has the arsenal. His 4-seamer practically sits 97, and touched 98-99 from time to time (that's Joba-like, and Brackman brings that from a 6'11'' frame!) and his sinking 2-seamer is in the 94-95 range. He just has ridiculous raw stuff. He has actually two curves, and they're not that bad. I can see the Yankees telling him to focus on just 1 curve so that he can devote more time to develop his change. Because if he does develop that changeup, he'd be a better prospect than Joba, injury concerns aside. The point is that if he is 100% healthy and his changeup improves, he doesn't even have a ceiling in terms of his potential. Even if we have to wait 2-3 years to see the returns on this draft pick, it is well worth the risk.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#760 » by Pharmcat » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:48 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:He definitely has the arsenal. His 4-seamer practically sits 97, and touched 98-99 from time to time (that's Joba-like, and Brackman brings that from a 6'11'' frame!) and his sinking 2-seamer is in the 94-95 range. He just has ridiculous raw stuff. He has actually two curves, and they're not that bad. I can see the Yankees telling him to focus on just 1 curve so that he can devote more time to develop his change. Because if he does develop that changeup, he'd be a better prospect than Joba, injury concerns aside. The point is that if he is 100% healthy and his changeup improves, he doesn't even have a ceiling in terms of his potential. Even if we have to wait 2-3 years to see the returns on this draft pick, it is well worth the risk.

:love: :love: :love:

Return to New York Yankees