ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Minor League News Thread - 2007

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Official Minor League News Thread - 2007 

Post#1 » by Jstarks3 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:05 am

Hughes, Tabata, the big O, Sanchez....any news on these dudes or any other minor league talents we have can go here. i dont know about you guys, but i'm AMPED. oh god, only 14 more hours!!!
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
Squirrel Boy
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#2 » by Squirrel Boy » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:09 am

Our farm system is finally rockin!!! Really digging our outlook at the future now!
SugeKnight718
Lead Assistant
And1: 0
Location: On The Trade Eddy Curry For Tyson Chandler Campaign!!!

Post#3 » by SugeKnight718 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:13 am

I'm going to try and leave early from my math class for the opener, if anything, I should be at Yankee stadium for atleast one of the games against Tampa.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#4 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:13 am

I guess I'll sticky this for now unless we get too many stickies at one point.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#5 » by Pharmcat » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:22 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:I guess I'll sticky this for now unless we get too many stickies at one point.

first sticky that you have done? :D
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:24 am

The Kandi Man Rocks wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

first sticky that you have done? :D

:nod:
Squirrel Boy
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Squirrel Boy » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:42 am

Im gonna make the Community Thread here.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#8 » by NYKnSTILL! » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:05 am

Help wanted ... sort of: Rookies getting advice from veterans can be an awkward task
Sunday, April 01, 2007
BY ED PRICE
Star-Ledger Staff
TAMPA, Fla. -- There was Brett Gardner, shagging flies with Johnny Damon during batting practice, asking how Damon positioned himself for different hitters.

There was Ross Ohlendorf, sidling up to Jason Giambi in the dugout, quizzing Giambi on what pitches he would be looking for if facing Ohlendorf in a game.

There was T.J. Beam, pulling up a chair next to Mariano Rivera in the Legends Field clubhouse, with Rivera showing Beam how to use his height to his advantage in his delivery.

With five players age 34 or older, the Yankees clubhouse is a virtual library of baseball knowledge and instruction. The hardest part for some of the young players is opening the books. A rookie who has never played above Double A can be lockering next to a future Hall of Famer, but unless the youngster asks the veteran for advice, the experience and wisdom will go untapped.

Reliever Scott Proctor, now an established player in the clubhouse, regrets not seeking more input from veterans when he was first around them.

"I think you can approach them," he said. "It's just hard to do. I wish I would have done that, but you are intimidated.

"When I was coming up, shoot, half these guys I used to watch play on TV and used to be fans of theirs. Now to be sitting in the same locker room with them is kind of a weird feeling. But once you get over that and you just realize that they're normal people just like everybody else you played with coming up, then you're joking around with them."

Andy Pettitte, 34, recalled that on days he wasn't pitching for Triple-A Columbus, he would spend most of the game in the clubhouse watching Yankees lefty Jimmy Key on TV instead. Pettitte figured Key, a fellow left-hander, was someone after whom he could pattern himself.

But when Pettitte got to the big leagues, he was reluctant to go to Key for advice. Here was a pitcher who should be able to provide plenty of guidance and instruction, and Pettitte didn't seek it.

"All of a sudden you're pitching with him," Pettitte said. "It's definitely intimidating a little bit. You feel stupid asking questions -- you feel like, 'Does he think I'm stupid?' But once you break the ice and you get a friendship with them, then it's a little different."

In past eras, veterans would often be loathe to help rookies for fear of helping someone take away their job. Giambi, 36, said when he broke in with Oakland, he got the silent treatment for two months.

But the Yankees stars are secure in their status and willing to help the future of the franchise.

"Nowadays it's different," Rivera, 37, said. "(When the Yankees trained) in Fort Lauderdale, I was in a corner with Andy (Pettitte), in a little corner. So we didn't even see the (older) players."

Gardner, who this year was in his first big-league camp (with a locker next to Alex Rodriguez), said he kept his distance the first few days.

"Let them have their space and just kind of respected their privacy," he said.

"But as time has gone on I learned that all these guys are pretty much just like us. They love talking about baseball and love helping us out. They all remember, they were in the same shoes that I'm in right now a few years ago. They've been really, really good about that."

But what the older players will not do is impose their views.

"If you want to know something, you have to go them," Proctor said. "They're not going to just offer stuff. Once they really get to know you, then they might approach you."

The veterans figure that the rookies will come to them when they need it.

"You don't want to mess with a young kid who's successful," Giambi said.

Rivera agreed.

"You don't want to force it," he said. "If they don't want to learn, they don't learn. But all we try to do is make sure is if they have questions they can come to you. It's like everything in life. If you don't ask for help, rarely help is going to come to you."

But that can lead to a standoff of sorts: a young player who needs help but is afraid to ask while a veteran who could offer useful information waits to be approached.

So it can take some creativity to bridge the gap.

Earlier this spring, Mike Mussina, 38, noticed Ohlendorf was starting his stretch delivery with his front leg slightly angled toward first base. That caused him to be in a different position when he broke his hands apart in the stretch than in the windup, leading to erratic pitches.

Mussina didn't want to walk up to Ohlendorf and tell him what he saw. He wanted to make sure Ohlendorf wanted advice.

One day, they both had side sessions at the same time. As they walked to a back field to do their running, Mussina asked Ohlendorf how he felt, and Ohlendorf admitted being frustrated. Eventually the conversation came around to mechanics, and by the time they were back in the clubhouse, Mussina was demonstrating what he had detected.

"You talk about nothing," Mussina said, "and work your way in."

Rivera has taken on a mentoring role to the young Spanish-speaking players, who often gather around his locker in a semicircle. But he will talk pitching with anyone, such as the day he called Beam over.

"I try to let them know we're here to serve, not to be served," Rivera said. "I don't like it. I love it."

For the veterans, it is a baseball version of the circle of life. Someone helped them when they came up, so now they pass on their knowledge.

"You're like, these guys are bigger than life," Pettitte said, recalling his rookie days. "It's just hard for me to think that people think that of me."

Battle went 3-3 with a home run.
2HR's 1BB and 3 SB's. :D
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:57 pm

Here are the minor league rosters to start the season. Italicized are the guys that we may see move up sometime this year, and I'll do my best to update the rosters whenever changes are made:

Scranton (AAA)
Rotation:
RHP Philip Hughes
RHP Tyler Clippard
RHP Ross Ohlendorf
RHP Steven Jackson
RHP Matt DeSalvo

Pen:
RHP T.J Beam
RHP Chris Britton
RHP Colter Bean
LHP Ben Kozlowski
LHP Charlie Manning
LHP Justin Pope
LHP Erick Burke (minor league FA)

Lineup:
CF Kevin Thompson
SS Alberto Gonzalez
RF Bronson Sardinha
1B Eric Duncan
DH Andy Phillips
LF Kevin Reese
3B Chris Basak
2B Angel Chavez
C Omir Santos

Bench:
C Raul Chavez
IF Andrew Beattie (minor league FA)
OF/1B Shelly Duncan

Disabled List:
RHP Humberto Sanchez
RHP Jose Veras
RHP JB Cox
RHP Jeff Karstens
RHP Steven White
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trenton (AA)
Rotation:
RHP Jeff Marquez
RHP Alan Horne
LHP Chase Wright
RHP Brett Smith
RHP Jason Jones

Pen:
RHP Kevin Whelan
RHP Jeff Kennard
RHP Paul Thorp
RHP Michael Gardner
RHP Scott Patterson
RHP Gerardo Casadiego

Lineup:
CF Brett Gardner
LF Justin Christian
1B Cody Ehlers
C P.J. Pilittere
RF Matt Carson
DH Aarom Baldaris
3B Carlos Mendoza
2B Gabe Lopez
SS Ramiro Pena

Bench:
C Jason Brown
OF Shawn Garrett
IF Juan Francia

Disabled List:
Andy Cannizaro

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Tampa (A+)
Rotation:
Joba Chamberlain
Ian Kennedy
Erick Abreu
Zach Kroenke
George Kontos

Pen:
Wilkins Arias
Anthony Claggett
Phil Coke
Mike Martinez
Elvys Quezada
Josh Schmidt
Julio Valdez
Bryan Villalona
Eric Wordekemper

Hitters:
Francisco Cervelli
Jared Greenwood
Joe Muich
Reggie Corona
Mario Holmann
Juan Miranda
Tim O'Brien
Kevin Russo
Marcos Vechionacci
Tim Battle
James Cooper
Colin Curtis
Edwar Gonzalez
Jose Tabata
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charleston(A)
Pitchers:
Eric Hacker
Garrett Patterson
Edgar Soto
Gabe Medina
Paul Patterson
Mike Dunn
Nick Peterson
Tim Norton
Jonathan Hovis
Luke Trubee
Grant Duff
Angel Reyes
David Robertson
Brady Martinez
Ivan Nova

Hitters:
Austin Jackson
Josue Calzado
Seth Fortenberry
Brian Aragon
Andres Perez
Chris Malec
Eduardo Nunez
Wilmer Pino
Mitch Hilligoss
Chris Kunda
Jose Gil
Kyle Anson
Bryan Baisley
Sashobe
Starter
And1: 79

Post#10 » by Sashobe » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:04 pm

I miss the Colombus Clippers a bit.
theknicks414
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by theknicks414 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:43 pm

apparently Betances, McAllister, and Nova are being held in extended spring training... not cool
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#12 » by sully00 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:15 pm

Anyone know how the rotation shapes up for Scranton. I plan on seeing them Sat in Pawtucket.
Squirrel Boy
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Squirrel Boy » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:34 pm

Where's Sanchez nykgm?
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#14 » by NYKnSTILL! » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:39 pm

UltimateSora91 wrote:Where's Sanchez nykgm?

I got this one ...

Sanchez is currently at the Tampa Bay complex they're changing his delivery to prevent future injury to the elbow, they belive once they get him throwing the right way he may be another gem # 2 or ace type pitcher w/ his stuff alone.
Squirrel Boy
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Squirrel Boy » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:52 pm

Is Nardi Contreras working with him?

Nardi fixed so many of our pitchers.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:55 pm

UltimateSora91 wrote:Where's Sanchez nykgm?
Placed on the 15-day DL but he'll be on AAA
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#17 » by Pharmcat » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:51 am

is Clip gonna be in the majors this year?
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:45 am

The Kandi Man Rocks wrote:is Clip gonna be in the majors this year?

Depends on the situation. If it is early May and we need a starter, they may feel that Hughes needs more time. Also, Sanchez's health at the time will play a role. It really depends on whos healthy and whether or not Hughes is ready.

Either way, Clippard will be here either later this year or definitely next year. The biggest issue may be whether or not there is a spot in the rotation for him, he will definitely be ready by the end of the season.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#19 » by Jitpal » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:21 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Depends on the situation. If it is early May and we need a starter, they may feel that Hughes needs more time. Also, Sanchez's health at the time will play a role. It really depends on whos healthy and whether or not Hughes is ready.

Either way, Clippard will be here either later this year or definitely next year. The biggest issue may be whether or not there is a spot in the rotation for him, he will definitely be ready by the end of the season.

I think if Clippard and the rest of those guys are good enough we can make a spot or two available. Last year deal for Mike Mussina coming off of a typical 14-15 win season looks mighty tempting to a vetern team trying to win and in the NL he will be so much better. Moving Mussina would not be a problem. The rockies supposedly want Pavano. There has been talk of shifting Igawa to the pen. Andy has a one year deal with an option. If we win it all he might decide to hang it up after this year and not take next year's option. That could open up 4 spots in the rotation. I don't want to get ahead of myself but if these guys are good enough the spots can happen. -Jitpal
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:28 pm

Jitpal wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think if Clippard and the rest of those guys are good enough we can make a spot or two available. Last year deal for Mike Mussina coming off of a typical 14-15 win season looks mighty tempting to a vetern team trying to win and in the NL he will be so much better. Moving Mussina would not be a problem. The rockies supposedly want Pavano. There has been talk of shifting Igawa to the pen. Andy has a one year deal with an option. If we win it all he might decide to hang it up after this year and not take next year's option. That could open up 4 spots in the rotation. I don't want to get ahead of myself but if these guys are good enough the spots can happen. -Jitpal

I think the Yankees would delay Clippard's debut a year before trading Moose to make room for an unproven rookie.

On the other hand, moving Pavano is a real possibility and Igawa to the pen is as well. That would create two spots, but I think it would go to Karstens and Hughes before guys like Clippard and Ohlendorf.

Return to New York Yankees