ImageImageImageImageImage

Our first baseman of the future....

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#21 » by 34Celtic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:54 pm

Jitpal wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Switch hitting, gold glove, silver slugging and 40/100 players get way more than 12 per year. Plus, he will be what 28 or so. Boras as his agent. I'd be shocked with anything less than 18 million per year especially the way the current market is. -Jitpal

Dude is an absolute stud. Jitpal i'm with you......I nominate you for Teixera in '09 campaign manager.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#22 » by moocow007 » Tue May 1, 2007 11:12 pm

throwbackewing33 wrote:You really think Mark would get 15-20 mill? I would say 12 tops. I like him tho.

$15-20 million would be absolutely silly.

The Yanks would be better off throwing it at Ichiro who so happens to play an actual position they need (assuming Abreu's gone), have the arm and the defense that their other OF's don't have and greater financial returns.

Jitpal
General Manager

Post#23 » by Jitpal » Wed May 2, 2007 2:37 am

moocow007 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

$15-20 million would be absolutely silly.

The Yanks would be better off throwing it at Ichiro who so happens to play an actual position they need (assuming Abreu's gone), have the arm and the defense that their other OF's don't have and greater financial returns.

(picture)

Well Moo. 1B is a position we would need when Giambi gets off the books. Phelps is not the answer. Douggy is not either. Why not Teixiera? Especially because we wouldn't have a big hitter other than Arod(maybe) at the time. Ichiro, Damon, Jeter, Cano, and whoever we have in left, 3rd, and catcher will probably also not be big hitters. He fits the bill, is great at 1B and he would be 27 or so. Plus, you can just shift the money from Giambi's deal to Teixiera's deal. -Jitpal
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#24 » by studcrackers » Wed May 2, 2007 2:39 am

yes why not teixeira after all what would you do if you didnt have an all star at every position?
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#25 » by PR07 » Wed May 2, 2007 2:43 am

I'd love to get Texiera...he's great defensively and has a really good bat. I think there's a reason we only gave Doug a 1 year deal, he's not the longterm answer....and he's probably just a short-term solution until next offseason.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#26 » by Jitpal » Wed May 2, 2007 2:45 am

PacersRule07 wrote:I'd love to get Texiera...he's great defensively and has a really good bat. I think there's a reason we only gave Doug a 1 year deal, he's not the longterm answer....and he's probably just a short-term solution until next offseason.

Exactly. We would probably need a stopgap for another year because Mark isn't a free agent until the end of the '08 season. -Jitpal
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by moocow007 » Wed May 2, 2007 3:18 am

Well Moo. 1B is a position we would need when Giambi gets off the books. Phelps is not the answer. Douggy is not either. Why not Teixiera? Especially because we wouldn't have a big hitter other than Arod(maybe) at the time. Ichiro, Damon, Jeter, Cano, and whoever we have in left, 3rd, and catcher will probably also not be big hitters. He fits the bill, is great at 1B and he would be 27 or so. Plus, you can just shift the money from Giambi's deal to Teixiera's deal. -Jitpal

Not a big Texiera fan. I think his offense benefits a lot from where he plays and his defense is not as great as many say it is. Is he an excellent player? Sure. But he's not worth $15+ million a year. Not even close. Not for a 1B.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#28 » by Jitpal » Wed May 2, 2007 3:22 am

Not a big Texiera fan. I think his offense benefits a lot from where he plays and his defense is not as great as many say it is. Is he an excellent player? Sure. But he's not worth $15+ million a year. Not even close. Not for a 1B.

Who would you suggest is a better option at 1B for sometime in the next 3 years? 15+ is just a guest based on the fact that he is very good and is a Boras client. Also based on how much teams were spending for mediocre players this past offseason. I mean, we could see a crazy reaction to all this spending that teams cut down by the '08 offseason especially because he won't be the top free agent and the '07 class isn't too bad either. Perhaps he gets less. I don't know but I do know that at this time I don't see a better otpion or even anything close. -Jitpal
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by moocow007 » Wed May 2, 2007 3:31 am

Who would you suggest is a better option at 1B for sometime in the next 3 years? 15+ is just a guest based on the fact that he is very good and is a Boras client. Also based on how much teams were spending for mediocre players this past offseason. I mean, we could see a crazy reaction to all this spending that teams cut down by the '08 offseason especially because he won't be the top free agent and the '07 class isn't too bad either. Perhaps he gets less. I don't know but I do know that at this time I don't see a better otpion or even anything close. -Jitpal

I don't know. Eric Duncan? How's his defense?

I just don't see having an ultra-expensive 1B as really a great need. Who else? Don't now, depends on who will be available in the next couple seasons. If he's willing to take $11-12 million then maybe.

I'd much rather spend on someone like Ichiro or another dynamic OF with the money currently alloted to Abreu. Someone like Ichiro IMHO is worth $15 per...Texiera is not.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#30 » by Jitpal » Wed May 2, 2007 3:41 am

I don't know. Eric Duncan? How's his defense?

I just don't see having an ultra-expensive 1B as really a great need. Who else? Don't now, depends on who will be available in the next couple seasons. If he's willing to take $11-12 million then maybe.

I'd much rather spend on someone like Ichiro or another dynamic OF with the money currently alloted to Abreu. Someone like Ichiro IMHO is worth $15 per...Texiera is not.

I like Ichiro as well but in my mind they both are needed. They both fit different needs. Ichiro is not a power hitter, he sprays the ball all over the field. He is fast and steals bases. Great arm. However, he is like 33 now, so 34 when we sign him. He is going to get a big deal and in the later half of that deal he won't be as quick as he is and his arm won't be as great as it is now. I like him, but I don't know if we sign him. Another factor would be a big market team, not Boston or the Yanks, might be interested in him because of the additional money from Japan he would bring, meaning they would entertain the idea of paying him more because they would make it back. So would the Yanks be prepared to spend 16-18 million a year for Ichiro who would be 34 and is playing in the same position as Tabata.

My suggestion is to play it like this. A's seem to want to have a firesale. Deal for Kotsay and either Harden or Haren. Let Abreu go. Plug Kotsay in right and when his contract is up at the end of 2008, Tabata should be ready to come up. Kotsay is more than capable of playing RF for 2 seasons. Look at getting Teixeria here, who will give us a solid glove at 1B, replace the offense Giambi gave us last year and he will hit for a better average. I feel that would make us a better team over adding Ichiro at an overpriced rate, not having a lot of pop in the lineup and blocking Tabata. -Jitpal
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by moocow007 » Wed May 2, 2007 3:50 am

I like Ichiro as well but in my mind they both are needed. They both fit different needs. Ichiro is not a power hitter, he sprays the ball all over the field. He is fast and steals bases. Great arm. However, he is like 33 now, so 34 when we sign him. He is going to get a big deal and in the later half of that deal he won't be as quick as he is and his arm won't be as great as it is now. I like him, but I don't know if we sign him. Another factor would be a big market team, not Boston or the Yanks, might be interested in him because of the additional money from Japan he would bring, meaning they would entertain the idea of paying him more because they would make it back. So would the Yanks be prepared to spend 16-18 million a year for Ichiro who would be 34 and is playing in the same position as Tabata.

My suggestion is to play it like this. A's seem to want to have a firesale. Deal for Kotsay and either Harden or Haren. Let Abreu go. Plug Kotsay in right and when his contract is up at the end of 2008, Tabata should be ready to come up. Kotsay is more than capable of playing RF for 2 seasons. Look at getting Teixeria here, who will give us a solid glove at 1B, replace the offense Giambi gave us last year and he will hit for a better average. I feel that would make us a better team over adding Ichiro at an overpriced rate, not having a lot of pop in the lineup and blocking Tabata. -Jitpal

Possibly.

I wouldn't pay Ichiro anymore than about $15 million for 3-4 years (which is probably what he'd be looking for) so if he does get offers in the $16-18 million range then oh well.

As far as age goes, he is 33 but also is probably one of the most well conditioned players in the game and IMO will not play like a 37-38 year old when he's 37-38 so I don't know that he will lose that much towards the tail end of his contract.

Regarding pop in the lineup, I really don't think the Yankees really need a lot of pop and could use the type of table setter like Ichiro at the top of the lineup.

Return to New York Yankees