ImageImageImageImageImage

Erik Bedard on the block

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Erik Bedard on the block 

Post#1 » by meatball sub » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:50 pm

Just heard Jason Stark on ESPNEWS mention the Mariners will be shopping Bedard. I think he would be a great pick up personally. What do ya'll think?
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Re: Erik Bedard on the block 

Post#2 » by Wade2k6 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:50 pm

will probably be overpriced. Would be a real nice pickup but probably not worth it (depending on who they demand in a trade).
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#3 » by PR07 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:58 pm

Out of the list that Buster Olney had of trade candidates to replace Wang, he's hands down the best one. Problem is, Seattle will be looking to recoup a lot of what it lost in the Orioles trade, and they gave up a lot. I'd take him, but I don't think Seattle's asking price will be all that lower than what the Indians will want for Sabathia, so I'd rather just push for C.C.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#4 » by VinnyTheMick » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 pm

The price will certainly end up being lower than what Angelos wanted but I don't know. Bedard strikes me as a guy who relies on talent alone & not in actually studying teams, batters' tendencies etc.. that may not seem like a problem immediately but later on when he loses a step I think his decline will be steep.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#5 » by VinnyTheMick » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:45 pm

So what can the Mariners get for Bedard, who has damaged his reputation significantly by showing no interest in being a true No. 1 starter?

"I'm really not sure anymore," said one AL assistant GM. "They're not going to get what they gave up (five players). So realistically, what can they get -- 5 cents on the dollar? Maybe 10? They can still get a good package, but they won't get five players back. … If I were them, I'd shop him hard to the National League. He's a guy who'd be dominant in that league."

"He proved he's not a No. 1," said another prominent baseball man. "But if you're in the race, it means you probably already have a starter who's better than Bedard, which means you're not counting on him to be your No. 1 guy. And on a team like that, he's still a valuable piece."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... =rumblings

Looks like he can be had for less than what Seattle paid but again, is he really the kind of guy you pay top dollar for?
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#6 » by Pharmcat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:06 am

the Yanks will be in on this, if anything, to drive up the price

i would go for him, assuming the price is right....and lets be honest, our pitching in our farm is loaded, we have the assets to get it done, at the right price, you must pull the trigger and not sit back
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#7 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 am

If I'm Seattle, any trade conversation begins with Austin Jackson (basically replaces Adam Jones). I'd try to talk them off Jackson and onto Melky, and add in a good pitching prospect or two such as Horne and somebody like Kontos.

Gardner could easily step in and provide more than Melky is, and we hold onto all of our high ceiling prospects although losing Horne would stink. But you have to give something up to get something...and who knows if what I said would even be enough.
Jerryd Bayless
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Jerryd Bayless » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:04 am

no i don't want him. he has the worst attitude in baseball, the worst. like seriously, he doesn't say a word to the media in baltimore, imagine NY? you remember randy johnson? yeah, he's 20x worse

and he's overrated
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#9 » by Pharmcat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:21 am

a winning franchise can change ones attitude real fast, plus we got the right vets in Jeter and Rivera, they lead by example.....bedards attitude would be the least of my concern....the way i see it, we need to attempt a deal, we have loads of pitching talent, and not all of them will work out, so instead of trying to hold on to em all, we should dangle em in a trade for bedard
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#10 » by VinnyTheMick » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:07 am

How would Bedard's attitude be the least of your concerns regarding him? The fact that he doesn't want to be an ace speaks volumes in my opinion. Again, I think he's a guy with all the talent in the world but without a drive that would propel him to reach his huge potential.

I'd welcome him to the team but my heart wouldn't be totally in it.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#11 » by Pharmcat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:25 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:How would Bedard's attitude be the least of your concerns regarding him? The fact that he doesn't want to be an ace speaks volumes in my opinion. Again, I think he's a guy with all the talent in the world but without a drive that would propel him to reach his huge potential.

I'd welcome him to the team but my heart wouldn't be totally in it.

again, i dont know what the full context on him are, but i do know losing can mess up a persons attitude....im sure cashman's guys will do their homework...all im saying is that with our starting ace out, and with the quality of our farm, we have the need and the means to go after this dude
Jerryd Bayless
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Jerryd Bayless » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:34 am

Pharmcat wrote:a winning franchise can change ones attitude real fast, plus we got the right vets in Jeter and Rivera, they lead by example.....bedards attitude would be the least of my concern....the way i see it, we need to attempt a deal, we have loads of pitching talent, and not all of them will work out, so instead of trying to hold on to em all, we should dangle em in a trade for bedard

lol

Whether that will play in another city is difficult to know. Bedard will be a free agent after the 2009 season, and the Orioles have failed to sign their rising star to a long-term contract. Asked whether he would consider playing in New York, with one of the toughest and biggest media corps, Bedard takes a long pause before answering.

"I don't know," he says.

Why?

"I don't know how long I would last [in New York]," he says, with a sheepish smile. "I would probably be the same, and I don't know if the media would embrace me or reject me. … Maybe I'll need a clause in my contract saying I won't have to talk to them.

he doesn't like NY
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by PR07 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:33 am

I'd rather go after Sabathia. I mean if we're going in, we might as well go in 80 cents on the dollar and get an ace, then go in 70 cents and get a #2 starter.
Jakespeare
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#14 » by Jakespeare » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:24 am

I'd rather go after Lowe. Cheaper and he is proven to be a good and effective AL East pitcher who can pitch in Yankee stadium.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by HCYanks » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:10 am

My vote is to see how low the Reds will sell on Harang. They seem to be overreacting to his ERA/W-L even though his peripherals are pretty good (he's given up a lot of HR's, but he's always done that and been good overall). He's at least as good as Wang.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#16 » by TKF » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:48 am

I used to like this guy, but I heard some things that had me worried. He is a primadonna, and refuses to pitch past 100 pitches....

Return to New York Yankees