ImageImageImageImageImage

yanks and angels

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,012

Re: yanks and angels 

Post#61 » by Pharmcat » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:22 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:Definitely not a surprise, we would probably be 111-0 without his bum ***.

He is only #1 in the AL in batting, and when you combine that with 45 homers, gold glove defense, and a 1.000 OPS, you have the most replaceable player in baseball. Bring back Aaron Boone please, that guy was the DEFINITION of clutch.

The secondary definition of clutch is Derek Jeter, who is likely on pace to set the record for double plays in a season and would've hit into another one today if Damon wasn't running on the pitch with the infield in.

those #s mean nothing when u cant get it done in the crunch time (As he showed today but figgins bailed em out)
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#62 » by TKF » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:25 am

cmaff051 wrote:
SARGO127 wrote:Jeters wearing thin on me....

Not Jeter's greatest year, but Jeter (along with Mo and Posada) will never "wear thin" on me. They've simply provided too many memories that I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

It's going to very hard to watch those 3 retire. They've been the definition of consistent their entire career, and I'm not going to get pissed at any of them for one bad year.

exactly, you win 4 rings, including 3 in a row and make 6 WS appearances, you never wear thin on me, that is a lifetime of winning, so they get a lifetime pass with me...
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#63 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:31 am

Pharmcat wrote:
nykgeneralmanager wrote:Definitely not a surprise, we would probably be 111-0 without his bum ***.

He is only #1 in the AL in batting, and when you combine that with 45 homers, gold glove defense, and a 1.000 OPS, you have the most replaceable player in baseball. Bring back Aaron Boone please, that guy was the DEFINITION of clutch.

The secondary definition of clutch is Derek Jeter, who is likely on pace to set the record for double plays in a season and would've hit into another one today if Damon wasn't running on the pitch with the infield in.

those #s mean nothing when u cant get it done in the crunch time (As he showed today but figgins bailed em out)

Go ahead RBI, 7th inning or later, over a 3 month period. How much more specific can a statistic get?

How soon people forget that ARod hit 4 game winning homers last year and hit about .400 in the 9th inning last season and led the majors in homers and RBI in the 9th inning. He also hit .333 with RISP and .318 with RISP/2 outs. So was he a clutch God last season, and now a guy who doesn't have "it" in 2008?

I mean seriously, he has played about 3 months of baseball this season and you are pointing to a stat that has to with 3 innings of a game and in a situation where the game is tied. How much smaller of a sample size can you possibly use?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,872

Post#64 » by Rich Rane » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:05 pm

I can't believe we split. I wish we had Game 2, but I'm still satisfied we took a split.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#65 » by cmaff051 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:28 pm

Pharmcat wrote:

Good grief Kandi, hopefully you're joking. :nonono:

He has a 1.000 OPS! What more do you want from him? :banghead: :banghead:
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#66 » by HCYanks » Mon Aug 4, 2008 5:22 pm

"Clutch" situational stats are so flawed they aren't even worth discussing. They undermine the value of offensive performance during the rest of the game, they're almost always based on small sample size, and individual players' numbers can jump so much from year to year that you can't use any of this crap to make a real conclusion.
LaCosaNostra
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#67 » by LaCosaNostra » Mon Aug 4, 2008 9:15 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:The secondary definition of clutch is Derek Jeter, who is likely on pace to set the record for double plays in a season and would've hit into another one today if Damon wasn't running on the pitch with the infield in.

He's actually 2nd in the AL behind Vladimir Guerrero.

Return to New York Yankees