ImageImageImageImageImage

The Replacement

opzoneworld
Junior
And1: 0

The Replacement 

Post#1 » by opzoneworld » Sat May 5, 2007 2:38 am

Seems like we can't say never with current Giants management but this should be the end for Bonds after this season. As much as I love the guy and who he has been for the Giants, I am also excited about a new era in Giants baseball. So, who do the Giants have that could replace Bonds?

* Todd Linden: 44AB, .205AVE, 0HR, 2RBI, 18SO.
    The Giants seemed to be pretty high on Linden before the start of the season but the only thing this season has proven for Linden is he cannot hit the off-spead stuff. Not only can he not hit it, he has look really, really bad trying to. Couple that with the fact that he will be 27 this year and it does not look good for Linden. Sad because I was honestly pulling for him.

* Eddy Martinez-Esteve: 84AB, .250AVE, 1HR, 9RBI, 20SO.
    Eddy is the wildcard here. The Giants have been very high on him since they drafted him. So has Baseball America by consistantly ranking him amoung the Giants top 10 prospects and best bat since being drafted. He was really on a direct track to the majors with what was looking more and more like a great power bat. Then a major injury came and cost him all but a few games last year. Now he is in AA trying to get it back. After one month he looks fairly well for someone who missed nearly a full year. He will go 4 for 4 one night and then 0 for 5 the next. He has always been a guy who strikes out a little too often but if he can get his power back in the second half of the season, he could very well earn the job next year. We can only hope that will not be a big if. He will be 24 this year.

* Nate Schierholtz: 105AB, .314AVE, 4HR, 18BRI, 14SO.
    Should be considered the leading candidate after the first month of the season. Baseball America ranks him as the Giants 8th best prospest in 2007. He is currently in AAA and will only be 23 years old this year. He has some good pop in his bat and he will only get stronger as he continues to fill out his body. Looks to be very good with runners in scoring possition as well. The Giants will be watching his development very closely this year. Nate could easily come out of nowhere and take the starting spot next year. Right now I am torn between Nate and Eddy.

* Ben Copeland: 77AB, .286AVE, 2HR, 17RBI, 12SO.
    Another kid the Giants seem high on and for good measure. He is a long shot to take Bond's spot next year as he is in High A San Jose to start the year. There is a good chance he will be fast-tracked to AA at some point this season as he did fairly well in spring training with the big club and he has been San Jose's best hitter to start the season. He looks to have a good deal of power just waiting to be fully tapped. He will turn 24 this year so still fairly young and growing into his body. He is currently serving a short DL stint but he really looks to be the real deal.
rosevillekings916
Pro Prospect

Post#2 » by rosevillekings916 » Tue May 8, 2007 5:02 pm

They will sign a big time Hitter to replace Bonds next year for sure!!
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#3 » by opzoneworld » Wed May 9, 2007 12:27 am

I sort of agree. They will sign a powerhitter yes; however, I think they have learned the error of their ways and will attempt to start building from within. I'm betting they go hard after A-Rod. He will be the one bat they bring in. He won't play LF however and for that I think they will try to promote from within.

Return to San Francisco Giants