Burriss Coming to the Show 

Post#1 » by Hopper15 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:40 am

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Davis being designated for assignment
footballfanatic
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#2 » by footballfanatic » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:55 am

I don't think he's ready...I hope this doesn't impede his development.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#3 » by opzoneworld » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:57 am

Hopper you just made my day! Yes, yes; I have a total man-crush on this kid. And yes, I actually do think he should stay in AAA until September callcups but hell, as they say, practice makes perfect. The only way he is going to learn is to play with the big boys.

This is where you make a name for yourself meat! :P
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#4 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:16 am

He goes from not hitting single A ball to the majors in a span of less than a year? Also, this starts Burriss' clock way before it should. Its a bad move that should have been made in September at the earliest.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 310

Post#5 » by GswStorm3 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:24 am

Too bad, Davis was excellent on the base pads and solid defensively in the outfield. He just couldn't hit a lick. I'm looking forward to watching Burris though.

Sounds like the Ginats also have some interest in Dan Johnson which hopefully means less Rich Aurilia.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#6 » by Hopper15 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:30 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Also, this starts Burriss' clock way before it should. Its a bad move that should have been made in September at the earliest.

Yeah, this is my concern as well. You basically have he and Bocock up a year or two earlier than they should be, taking up spots on the 40-man. Both of those guys need to play every day.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#7 » by opzoneworld » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:13 am

Burriss is only up until Omar gets back. Then I believe Omar and Bocock will share duties and Burriss will go back to AAA to play everyday. He should be starting in SF next year; though at 2B or SS I can't say yet.

I really don't know how I feel about Bocock yet. I've watched him play a lot in San Jose last year and now in SF this year and he just cannot hit. When he swings and misses, he is not even close to the ball. I almost get the feeling whenever he gets a hit its more luck than anything. D wise he looks a lot like a young Omar but he has got to be able to bat at least .250.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Giants do with Burriss, Bobock, Velez and then Frandsen in future.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Hopper15 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:54 pm

The announcers severely overrate Bocock's defense as well. He's got a hose, but that's about it. I don't see the ability to make tough plays look easy.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#9 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Omar Vizquel isn't coming back anytime soon, I don't think at least. To expect a 41 year old SS coming off knee surgery to be back by the first homestand was way too optimistic. The Giants were way off when they said 4-6 weeks, more like 10-12. I'll go with mid-May at the earliest and June as the latest.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#10 » by opzoneworld » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:51 am

I guess we wont have to worry about Omar's option for next season then.....

Burriss should start tonight. I was shocked he didn't start yesterday afternoon. You don't call-up a rookie to have him sit on the bench. You let him play right away to get out the butterflys and get a taste. His parents flew in all the way from DC to see one inning too.

Well he got the start as expected. Showed some good D. That DP he turned with Velez was something special. 0-2 with a HBP. I like the bunt attempt to use his speed but needs to place the ball better. Solid contact on his groundout. I was quite upset he didnt attempt a steal after he got hit. Granted, it would not have mattered but that is where you make a name for yourself.

Overall, C+/B-
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#11 » by opzoneworld » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:10 am

Great first hit for Burriss today. That is what he is going to do a lot of for the Giants, those types of hits. I saw him play about 10 times in San Jose last year and he is constantly bunting for hits and chopping the ball into the ground beating out hits. Then with his speed he will score a lot of runs even from first.

He just looks so confident out there. He feels like he belongs and I think that is going to get him more playing time. It's amazing to see how Lewis, Bower and now Burriss's youthful enthusiasm has rubbed off on the entire team.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#12 » by opzoneworld » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:31 pm

Burriss with the double and score. Kid just makes plays.

Replace Burriss with Bocock for a series. Let Bocock get some extra BP and some rest. Let Burriss have a series to start and showcase himself.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Hopper15 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:03 pm

It's nice to see the kids do well and win ballgames. I love the speed on the basepaths that we can bring now. I think it'd be fun to build this team on speed, defense, and pitching.

Schierholtz is killing it in AAA. If they can trade Winn, he should be up playing every day, too.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#14 » by opzoneworld » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:33 pm

Speaking of trades...

should the number one guy on our trading block be Molina?

So far, he is having a hell of a start to the season. I have to imagine there will be a contender willing to give up a fringe blue-chip 3B for Monlina's services. I believe with Bowker's development at 1B and Schierholtz ready to play the OF, the one spot we have nobody at is 3B.
footballfanatic
Freshman

Post#15 » by footballfanatic » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:34 pm

I really hope we trade Winn.

Honestly, we should trade/release every veteran except Molina and Rowand.

Aurilia is utter trash...he shouldn't see the field again for the rest of the year. Winn has been alright but I'd much rather see Schierholtz do the same/better up in the big leagues. Durham is terrible, Velez should play everyday.

Ideal lineup:

LF - Fred Lewis
CF - Aaron Rowand
RF - Nate Schierholtz
1B - John Bowker
2B - Eugenio Velez
SS - Emmanuel Burris/Brian Bocock(split time until someone earns everyday starts)
3B - Jose Castillo
C - Bengie Molina

When do you think Schierholtz will get called up? Will we have to trade/release somebody to make it happen?
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#16 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:05 am

If thats what I'm given to work with, here goes:

Burriss
Velez
Lewis
Rowand
Schierholtz
Bowker
Molina
Castillo
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#17 » by opzoneworld » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:04 pm

Best thing about Burriss so far, NO strikeouts.
footballfanatic
Freshman

Post#18 » by footballfanatic » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:20 pm

What's your analysis on Burriss so far opzone?

I know you're a big fan.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#19 » by opzoneworld » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:49 am

Burriss is a guy who will just get better the more he plays. He has great, near excellent, bat control. He will bunt for hits and slap for hits; more or less place the ball where he wants it to go as if he were playing darts. He has no power to speak of. If he gets a homerun it will be of the inside-the-park variety. My favorite aspect of his game is that he puts the ball in play. He does not strike out a lot. He makes the D get him out and with his speed he forces the D to make the "perfect play" in order to do so. He will force a lot errors over his career because his speed will make the D hurry more than its used to.

His D is good but not great. A slightly above average arm but nothing we haven't seen before. I would also like to see him put on a little weight to get just even gap power.

If he continues to get playing time (I dont mind Burris and Bocock starting every other game like they do now), he could easily bat .300 the second half of the season as he continues to master his bat control. He is as fast as, maybe faster than, Velez and he is very, very aggressive which I love.

Bottom line, Burriss simply makes things happen. Corner infielders have to play up when he bats and that open holes. With runners on, he can slap the ball into the holes with little effort. He takes the pitchers concentration away when he is on because he can steal so easily. He is the ideal leadoff hitter for SF in the many years to come.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#20 » by opzoneworld » Sat May 3, 2008 12:19 am

He has got to learn that he cannot just slap the ball when runner are on base. He needs to bulk up just a little and be able to put the into gaps. He won't get a lot of infield hits with runners on. He has to put better wood on the ball when runners are in scoring situations. :-?

At the same time...I wish they would keep him out of the 8 spot. All throughout the minors they have had him leadoff and now he is protecting the pitcher suddenly.

Return to San Francisco Giants