... and then the ChiSox came to town, and we stopped hitting

TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

... and then the ChiSox came to town, and we stopped hitting 

Post#1 » by TTown » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:43 pm

We're single handily moving pieces around the Central, sinking the Tribe's chances and making believers out of the Sox.

Vargas just gave up a grand slam. Boy, is he terrible.

The bats have cooled off this homestand, and Carp looks really tired. Glad he's getting today off. Ackley's looked tired a few times, got some rest, and came back strong. Carp was just so damn awesome for so long we couldn't take him out of the line-up.

Seager is still blowing my mind. Ichiro is actually hitting quite well over the last two weeks. It's a long shot, but he needs about 50 hits in the next 30 games if he wants to hit 200 again, not counting whatever else he can do today from the 6th inning on. I didn't realize he's still top 10 in the AL in hits. That .270 average with no power, low walk ratio and useless in big spots just seems hollow to me.
ImageImageImageImage
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Re: ... and then the ChiSox came to town, and we stopped hit 

Post#2 » by jumanji » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:18 am

I think your last line says all you need to know about Ichiro. I dont doubt he'll get or come close to 200 hits but so what. He's the softest 15 million dollar player i've ever seen.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Dustin Ackley and Mike Carp were not amused by this thread. :lol:

What a bomb by Carp.
sharkz
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#4 » by sharkz » Thu Sep 1, 2011 2:02 am

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/ar ... a&c_id=sea

Jack Z extended. Guess the top guys still have faith in him.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by TTown » Thu Sep 1, 2011 4:24 am

Bottom 8, M's trail 1-0. Masterful games by Felix and Haren. Two outs, Guti gets on. Ackley singles, Guti gets to third. Then Carp hits the go-ahead double. We're up 2-1, Felix is going for the complete game.

Words fail to express just how great this Ackley/Carp combo is.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by TTown » Thu Sep 1, 2011 4:27 am

M's win 2-1. Felix was great.

Going for the series win tomorrow.

And hey, Jack Wilson is now a Brave.
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman

Post#7 » by sharkz » Thu Sep 1, 2011 12:29 pm

Carp's heating up again it looks like. Robinson has cooled and Seager also, although much less so.

Oh and Wells is REALLY cold. 0 for 24.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#8 » by Sweezo » Fri Sep 2, 2011 2:10 am

Good for Jack Wilson. When healthy, he's on of the best defensive SS in the game. After playing on the Pirates and M's, I'm glad he gets a chance to go to a playoff team and have that experience. He seems like a good guy, and he never said squat about losing his starting job this season [twice].

sharkz wrote:Oh and Wells is REALLY cold. 0 for 24.

But still contributing on defense! He had two outfield assists the other night. Very impressive.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by TTown » Fri Sep 2, 2011 3:10 am

Well we went down 4-0 early thanks in part to a 3-run Torii Hunter bomb in the 1st, but we're fighting back. Furbush has calmed down and the offense has put up 3 runs in the 3rd. Ichiro had an RBI double, and Ackley had a 2-run single.
ImageImageImageImage
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#10 » by Bulltalk » Sun Sep 4, 2011 3:55 am

I want our young players to do well, but I want us to finish in the top 3 draft picks. That will ensure us of getting a great draft pick.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
ORL_4LIFE
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by ORL_4LIFE » Wed Sep 7, 2011 2:23 am

anyone else notice Fister is 4-1 with a 2.64 era in his 7 games with Detroit, 36ks with only 3 walks. :-?
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by TTown » Wed Sep 7, 2011 4:02 pm

So, Felix is looking a lot like Felix the past few starts. Great stuff.
ImageImageImageImage
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#13 » by jumanji » Thu Sep 8, 2011 4:36 am

Thought the skipper blew this one tonight leaving Furbush out there too long. The kid was pitching a great game with a 1-0 leat but clearly was out of gas.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by TTown » Fri Sep 9, 2011 11:37 pm

Justin Smoak hit a HR. Remember April and May, when he used to hit a lot of them? Welcome back!
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman

Post#15 » by sharkz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:47 am

Smoak REBORN

Guess the thumb WAS bothering him.

Ichiro suddenly blew up too. 2 straight games with homers. What's the odds he goes on a mad run and gets 200 hits again.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Sweezo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Great to see Smoak come back and show some power. We may have been out of the playoff race for awhile but these games have still been fun to watch [unlike the end of last season].

sharkz wrote:Ichiro suddenly blew up too. 2 straight games with homers. What's the odds he goes on a mad run and gets 200 hits again.

Not good. He needs just over 30 in the games he has left. I hope he gets it, but even if he doesn't the way he's playing right now reminds me of the old Ichiro, both on offense and defense.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by TTown » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Hey, we've won two baseball games in a row. Vargas shut down the Yankees, Beavan smoked the Rangers yesterday, throwing 8 innings of 4-hit, shutout baseball. Go figure. We're 63-87... no 100 loss season! Hey, progress.

I've pretty much checked out since football started. All our bats, which were so damn good July/August, have kind of cooled, but I'm still liking our Ackley/Carp/Trayvon/Seager/Smoak nucleus. They're all young. Barring something big in the offseason, all should start to begin 2012... we've seen what they can do, now give 'em a shot to do it full time.

If the season were to end today we'd have the 5th pick, but we're only a game ahead of the O's in the loss column for the #3. We'll see how that goes over the next week and a half.
ImageImageImageImage
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#18 » by Bulltalk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:37 am

^^^ Yup. Pretty checked-out on the M's now. Now I have the Seahawks. Seamless transition too, from awful to horrible.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by TTown » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:17 pm

haha so true. I'm trying not to post much on the Seahawk board because I think I'd drive everyone nuts with my Suck for Luck ranting. But dangit, it takes the sting off of being so terrible so I consider it therapy.

Carp smashed his first grand slam yesterday and the M's put up 9 runs in the 3rd to smoke the Tribe. Beginning of the season, they drilled us. Now it seems like we can't play them without putting 10 runs up on the board.

As an aside, Fister is doing work in Detroit. That trade looked really one-sided for us after the first month, but Wells has cooled way down and Furbush looks like he'd be a better reliever than starter. Fister's going to be Detroit's #2 in the postseason.

... speaking of starting pitching. Our line-up seems to have worked itself out (for the most part) with some very workable pieces, but I'm not entirely sure how our rotation is going look next year. Felix, Pineda at the top. Naturally. Beavan's outpitched Vargas this year... is it a sure thing that Vargas is coming back? God, he's irritating. Furbush? Vasquez? We seem to have a lot of very good prospects who won't be ready to begin 2012 in the majors. We going patchwork at the back end of this thing?
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Sweezo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:16 pm

TTown wrote:haha so true. I'm trying not to post much on the Seahawk board because I think I'd drive everyone nuts with my Suck for Luck ranting. But dangit, it takes the sting off of being so terrible so I consider it therapy.

I was against 'Suck for Luck' before the season started, but after the two pitiful games we've seen I'm fully on board with it now.

Return to Seattle Mariners