edgar, hall of fame

TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

edgar, hall of fame 

Post#1 » by TTown » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:14 pm

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 046795&v=3

brian kenny of the mlb network says edgar to the hall is a slam dunk.
ImageImageImageImage
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Re: edgar, hall of fame 

Post#2 » by Bulltalk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:28 am

I say he should make it for one big reason. Too many of the most respected hitters, managers, writers and analysts have referred to him as being the best pure hitter in the AL over the span of about 5 years or more. I agree. That deserves the nod, methinks.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#3 » by Sweezo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:04 am

I think he will get there but it will take some time. The concerns about him not being a two-way player will hopefully diminish over time. A DH now isn't what it was 20 years ago, and a lot of that is because of Edgar. He changed the position from being a place where aging veterans made their last stand to one where a player could make an entire career and name for himself.

There's a reason the DH award is named after him after all. As time goes one, the accomplishments of players like Edgar. And what does the HOF do when David Ortiz, another career DH, is eligible?

Do you put Ortiz [aka a 6 time Edgar Martinez Award winner ]in but not Edgar?

Would it make sense to have a Cy Young award winner in the HOF but no Cy Young?

I think not.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#4 » by BlackMamba » Fri Feb 3, 2012 7:01 pm

He should! And I hope he can make it in his first opportunity.
Hamyltowne
Banned User
And1: 53

Post#5 » by Hamyltowne » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:34 am

It'll take him a while but he'll make it into the Hall of Fame.

One of my favourite players of all time.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Bulltalk » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:56 am

Hamyltowne wrote:It'll take him a while but he'll make it into the Hall of Fame.

OMG! We agree. :lol:

Very interesting note. Edgar's switch from the Kingdome to Safeco field as a hitter was a pretty smooth transition. Safeco, apparently, is hell to hit in, whereas the Kingdome was a hitter's delight. Edgar managed it just fine.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Hamyltowne
Banned User

Post#7 » by Hamyltowne » Fri Jul 6, 2012 2:07 am

Bulltalk wrote:
Hamyltowne wrote:It'll take him a while but he'll make it into the Hall of Fame.

OMG! We agree. :lol:

Then I change my mind. :wink:

Edgar Martinez was in a class all by himself. He would've had greater totals if he hadn't been stuck in the minors while Presley blocked him from The Show. Beginning a big-league career at the age of 27 should be factored when weighting the raw totals in Hall Of Fame considerations.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Bulltalk » Fri Jul 6, 2012 2:56 am

Edgar was one of the best line drive, gap hitters I've ever seen. His home runs were doubles that went yard.

Griffey, Edgar and Buhner were one of the better 3-4-5 combos in the game for a series of years. They also had very distinct personalities that complemented each other well. It's a shame they never won a series together.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Hamyltowne
Banned User

Post#9 » by Hamyltowne » Fri Jul 6, 2012 3:11 am

Bulltalk wrote:Griffey, Edgar and Buhner were one of the better 3-4-5 combos in the game... It's a shame they never won a series together.

At least they beat the Yankees in the first year of ALDS. And in dramatic fashion, too. Edgar hit the double (!) that scored Griffey from first. And with that game, that victory, came Safeco Field.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Bulltalk » Fri Jul 6, 2012 3:23 am

Hamyltowne wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:Griffey, Edgar and Buhner were one of the better 3-4-5 combos in the game... It's a shame they never won a series together.

At least they beat the Yankees in the first year of ALDS. And in dramatic fashion, too. Edgar hit the double (!) that scored Griffey from first. And with that game, that victory, came Safeco Field.

One of the greatest moments in Seattle sports history (we don't have many). It was one of those perfect sports moments. Never forget that one. Beautiful. Everything about it.

Too bad we went down to Cleveland next. Who went down to the Marlins. Couldn't god forbid that outrage?
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Bulltalk » Fri Jul 6, 2012 3:47 am

I just got nostalgic thinking about being a Cubs' fan growing up. Was remembering one of the best weekends in baseball as a fan for me. June 23rd and 24th 1984. June 23rd was the "Sandberg game". Cubs beat Cardinals in one of the greatest baseball games I've ever seen among two great rivals. I watched it on the roof of my friends place on 3637 Sheffield Avenue. Sandberg goes yard twice against the best in late and extra innings. Cubs win in 11 12-11. Even Bob Costas said it may have been his favorite game.

The next day, I go into the park for the game. Right field bleachers. Rick Sutcliffe takes the mound (who we acquired a few weeks before, and goes 16-1 the rest of the way for us and a Cy). He K's 14 batters and the Cubs win 5-0.

What a perfect weekend for baseball and a Cubs' fan back then.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Hamyltowne
Banned User

Post#12 » by Hamyltowne » Fri Jul 6, 2012 9:45 am

Bulltalk wrote:One of the greatest moments in Seattle sports history (we don't have many). It was one of those perfect sports moments. Never forget that one. Beautiful. Everything about it.

Too bad we went down to Cleveland next. Who went down to the Marlins. Couldn't god forbid that outrage?

Indians went down against the Braves, actually. The only World Series win for 'the team of the 90s.'

Back to the 95 ALDS. I agree with you in that it was just perfect. It was a shot hit down the line on turf, and yet Griffey's long strides rounded the bases so perfectly that the throw had no chance. And the look on Leyritz' face. The look on all Yankee faces. The fireworks in the Kingdome. The pile-on at home plate. The huge smile on Junior's face. The play-by-play call. I mean, it was all perfect.
Hamyltowne
Banned User

Post#13 » by Hamyltowne » Fri Jul 6, 2012 10:08 am

Bulltalk wrote:I just got nostalgic thinking about being a Cubs' fan growing up. Was remembering one of the best weekends in baseball as a fan for me. June 23rd and 24th 1984. June 23rd was the "Sandberg game". Cubs beat Cardinals in one of the greatest baseball games I've ever seen among two great rivals. I watched it on the roof of my friends place on 3637 Sheffield Avenue. Sandberg goes yard twice against the best in late and extra innings. Cubs win in 11 12-11. Even Bob Costas said it may have been his favorite game.

The next day, I go into the park for the game. Right field bleachers. Rick Sutcliffe takes the mound (who we acquired a few weeks before, and goes 16-1 the rest of the way for us and a Cy). He K's 14 batters and the Cubs win 5-0.

What a perfect weekend for baseball and a Cubs' fan back then.

Billy Goat slept through that weekend.

You need only look at my Avatar to know how I feel about the Cubs. If the extra-inning game you describe was during the day, that's probably one of the best ever, then.

I always thought St. Louis was a good baseball town until I saw how many fans sold their home-game World Series tickets to Texans making the trip to Missouri last year during The Fall Classic. I heard or read somewhere that it's a sign of how bad the economy is. Nonsense. Some things are invaluable. Baseball is one of them.

Return to Seattle Mariners