signs of life

Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Re: signs of life 

Post#21 » by Bulltalk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 am

Hultzen definitely a shot. Would be a little surprised if he doesn't make the roster coming out of spring training. We could probably include Wilhemson in a trade if it meant getting a strong hitter, but our bullpen is surely a huge plus for us as it now stands. Paxton and Walker will get a look, I'm pretty sure, but would be a little surprised if either makes the roster on opening day. I do think we could afford to trade one or two of our pitching prospects not named Hultzen or Walker for a hitter. Couldn't Paxton, Wilhemson, Franklin or Seager, Smoak, some other pitching prospect be some potential ingredients in a trade for a guy like Adrian? I'd love him on the roster.

I see Zunino as a call-up next season, but you never know.

We've got to think hitter(s) this off-season in a big, big way. No effing around anymore. We're dead last in the AL in runs scored, OBP, SLG, OPS, RBI's, 2nd worst in the league in batting average and doubles, 3rd worst in the league in HR's and hits. We've got to get stronger at the plate, can't merely rely on our current players getting better. Our pitching, mostly thanks to Felix, Vargas and the bullpen, is already playoff caliber, 2nd or 3rd best in the league right now, and we've got real talent on the way.

Is there any other hitter down on the farm besides Franklin who really warrants our attention now? The only reason I mention Franklin as trade bait is because we've got 2nd base covered already in Seager and Ackley, and Ryan's defense is so good it's hard to think of pushing him aside no matter his bat.

Anyway...just a few added thoughts to yours.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior
And1: 31

Post#22 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 pm

We definitely need to add hitting to our lineup, and it must be at the 1B position. We just have nothing there, and I actually like Montero at catcher. He's way better than I thought he would be. Already better defensively than Olivo, but thats not saying much.

Starting pitching is really solid with Felix/Vargas/Ishikawa and then our minor league arms. Bullpen is terrific. And the defense is ofcourse awesome.

Thames has been a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much. And Montero has picked up his game a lot. Saunders slumped but he has still been very good this season. All around numbers are good. Seager is clutch and Trayvon is a monster in left.

Things are good right now.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#23 » by Sweezo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:57 pm

Bulltalk wrote:Couldn't Paxton, Wilhemson, Franklin or Seager, Smoak, some other pitching prospect be some potential ingredients in a trade for a guy like Adrian? I'd love him on the roster.

It would be tough to lose Wilhemson. That curve is just such a good pitch. If baseball is about entertainment, few things entertain me more than seeing hitters buckle or bail when he throws that curve...only to see the damn thing drop right into the heart of the plate.

Bulltalk wrote:We've got to think hitter(s) this off-season in a big, big way. No effing around anymore. We're dead last in the AL in runs scored, OBP, SLG, OPS, RBI's, 2nd worst in the league in batting average and doubles, 3rd worst in the league in HR's and hits. We've got to get stronger at the plate, can't merely rely on our current players getting better. Our pitching, mostly thanks to Felix, Vargas and the bullpen, is already playoff caliber, 2nd or 3rd best in the league right now, and we've got real talent on the way.

The question is...where do we get stronger at the plate? And at what cost to the defense?

With Jaso/Montero/Zunino I think we're probably good at C/DH. I wish Saunders would hit for a higher average but he's flirting with a 20/20 season while displaying Gold Glove caliber defense. Thames will never be a great defender but with the way he's hitting now I wouldn't be in a rush to replace him if he finishes the season strong.

Ackley's turning it around. Seager's fairly solid. Ryan will never hit but his defense is outstanding.

So that leaves LF and 1B to me as the glaring holes. And if Guti's healthy [which one should never assume] that means Saunders could shift to LF. Which means 1B is the one place where our production is a glaring hole. Carp was hitting but not for much power; Smoak has shown marginal improvement since being called up but I have given up on him.

Bulltalk wrote:Is there any other hitter down on the farm besides Franklin who really warrants our attention now? The only reason I mention Franklin as trade bait is because we've got 2nd base covered already in Seager and Ackley, and Ryan's defense is so good it's hard to think of pushing him aside no matter his bat.

Take a look at what Leon Landry has been doing since we acquired him from the Dodgers in the Brandon League, and people seem to be pleased about Stefen Romero.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Bulltalk » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:16 am

If hope reigns, Zunino is the starting/everyday catcher from the beginning of 2014 season on. The way he's hitting now in the minors, he's at least a future 5th or 6th hitter everyday in the lineup. Because of Zunino's probable emergence as our everyday catcher, and Smoak's disappointment in what was supposed to almost necessarily be his breakout season, I think we have to consider adding 1B to Montero's prospective playing positions. He's going to eventually be a once-a-week catcher. And there's NO WAY we can afford to trade his bat. I see Montero's future as a 1B/DH combo, with some occasional catching perhaps. We have to consider the possibility that adding an older vet hitter as a DH may be our only way of getting stronger at the plate, some one like Papi.

Let's also remember that neither Seager nor Ackley are locked into their positions at 3B and 2B. Ackley could well become an outfielder if you move either Seager or Franklin to 2B. In such a case, you could see 3B as another possible spot to bolster up with a stronger hitter. We may not want to forgo our present excellent defense at the SS position in Ryan.

Our outfield is still completely influx. It's looking more and more like Guti will eventually be gone, perhaps when his contract is up, or through trade. I'm not huge on Saunders, as I'm always waiting for his bat to disappear for stretches of time again. But his glove has been good, and he's certainly still starter material at present.

I'm thinking that adding a strong hitter or two opens up the positions of 3B, OF, 1B, and DH. If we can get a real strong hitter or two, we can adjust/realign our present players to new positions to accommodate this. I sincerely think we have to think in such terms. I *think* my reasoning will play out in the not too distant future about this in some such way.

Anyway...

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Bulltalk » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:08 am

M's win again! Another solid pitching performance, this time by Iwakuma and the bullpen by committee. Only 3 games under .500 now. This is the march to a winning record. Get this. The M's have won 15 out of their last 16 games AT HOME! You know, the place we could neither hit in or win at just a few months ago. Good thing. Also it's now an 8 game winning streak, and, as Geoff Baker pointed out, the first 8 game winning streak since the Hargrove era.

Damn. Who would have thunk all this not long ago? Not me.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Bulltalk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:42 am

Damn White Sox have our number this year.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Bulltalk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:59 am

Felix with another 1-0 shutout. It brings his record to 13-5 and lowers his ERA to a league leading 2.43 for starters. Felix is now in the driver's seat for the Cy Young, which would be his 2nd by the age of 26 if he can hold on. He's the most dominant pitcher in baseball at this time.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
The Emcee
General Manager
And1: 156

Post#28 » by The Emcee » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:34 am

Bulltalk wrote:Felix with another 1-0 shutout. It brings his record to 13-5 and lowers his ERA to a league leading 2.43 for starters. Felix is now in the driver's seat for the Cy Young, which would be his 2nd by the age of 26 if he can hold on. He's the most dominant pitcher in baseball at this time.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just can't imagine what kind of win totals he'd be putting up with run support.
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior

Post#29 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:20 am

Felix is a legend. One of the all-time greats. And I'm so glad that he enjoys Seattle. Wooo!!

Oh, and welcome back, Guti!!! :P
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Bulltalk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:27 am

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:Felix is a legend. One of the all-time greats. And I'm so glad that he enjoys Seattle. Wooo!!

Oh, and welcome back, Guti!!! :P

Did you hear about him on "Mitch in the Morning" when he was interviewed? He basically said that the M's could lock him up for as long as they like. He wants to play his career here. And this wasn't just some marketing soundbite. He was genuinely sincere about it.

Lock him up for 7 years with a 5 year extension this offseason. This is a no-brainer. How about a 5 year 125 million dollar extension? That should do it. Let M's fans know that you're serious about winning, serious about taking care of your own, at least those who deserve it, as he well does.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#31 » by TTown » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:33 am

felix is a witch. he's just too damn good.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#32 » by Sweezo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:09 am

Bulltalk wrote:Lock him up for 7 years with a 5 year extension this offseason. This is a no-brainer. How about a 5 year 125 million dollar extension? That should do it. Let M's fans know that you're serious about winning, serious about taking care of your own, at least those who deserve it, as he well does.

Agreed. This should be priority #1 this offseason. Felix is not only dominant but also the likable, competitive face of the franchise. If players are apprehensive about coming to Seattle, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a young, vibrant presence who's more than happy to talk about how much he loves it up here.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Bulltalk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:26 am

He's got a little bit of that Edgar-thing about him. As good as it gets, but still likeable, humble, and he actually wants to be here.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior

Post#34 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 pm

I've give King Felix WHATEVER CONTRACT he wanted. Price is just a number with him. The guy is the best pitcher in baseball and he is a very engaging character. The Mariners NEED him.

Oh, and Iwakuma has been awesome!!
The Emcee
General Manager
And1: 156

Post#35 » by The Emcee » Fri Sep 7, 2012 6:40 pm

We have now equaled our win total from last year, and have a better record than Boston and Philly.

Yes, I'll take 'Things not usually said this late in the year' for $100, please.

Return to Seattle Mariners