the fences are moving in

TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

the fences are moving in 

Post#1 » by TTown » Wed Oct 3, 2012 2:55 am

"The fence will be moved in from four to 17 feet at different points in left field and four feet from straight center field to the right-center gap."
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: the fences are moving in 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Fri Oct 5, 2012 2:21 am

At first glance it doesn't look like much but the change in left-center, combined with the hand-operated scoreboard no longer being part of the left-field fence, means this is quite dramatic.

This looks like as good a place as any to kind of do a review.

The team was certainly better this year. We needed to see some of the younger players step up, and some did [even if they weren't expected to]. Kyle Seager [24 yo] posted a .259/.316/.423 line with 20 home runs and 13 SB. Michael Saunders [25] posted a .247/.306/.432 line with 19 HR and 21 SB. John Jaso [29] may look like an old homeless guy, but he was passable behind the plate and hit an outstanding .276/.394/.456.

Who didn't step up? Smoak, Ackley, and Montero. With Montero I saw enough to think he can be a plus bat in the future. Ackley's struggles completely befuddle me. I don't know what to make of it as he was fairly consistently awful all season long. Will I by into the "oh, he had a bone spur" line, or convince myself that firing Chris Chambliss will fix him, or that moving the fences in did it? No. If the team puts him in at 2B next year due to a lack of options, I get it, but I wouldn't mind bringing a veteran [Scutaro?] as an insurance plan in case it goes to **** again.

As for Smoak, I cannot think of a more frustrating player in recent history. For months we watched him flail around, and then of course he ends the season with a different swing and...BANG...he produces. He should be assured of very little next season, but he's going to get a chance to contribute. But the team cannot go into the season with Smoak and Montero penciled in at 1B/DH at this point. They have to bring someone else in as a contigency plan. Who? I don't know. The list of FA 1B is not good, and I do not know how badly I want to pay a whole bunch of money to Mike Napoli or Nick Swisher at the moment. I think a trade might be a viable option, meaning the team might be able to focus its FA on an area where there might be better options [OF? SP?]

When Franklin Gutierrez was healthy, I thought he looked pretty good at the plate. He hasn't lost a step on defense, and his power appeared to return this year. But his health seems like it will always be an issue. Which is a shame because a healthy Guti is extremely valuable to this team. I still think he's an important part of this team, but the team will certainly need to carry a guy like Casper Wells who, if nothing else, looks like a good bench bat with a cannon for an arm. If Guti can't play, Saunders can shift to CF fairly easily.

I hope Zunino gets a shot to win a job in spring training. Yes, I know it's early in his career, but he's been excellent this year. If Zunino bucks the odds and gets the call, finding a backup veteran catcher, moving Jaso to fulltime DH, and putting Montero at 1B seems passable to me unless the team can think of something better. Even better if you can

As for RF, I am not sure what we have there. Thames was an interesting gamble. His power is undeniable, but hitting for decent average seems like a pipe dream. Trayvon Robinson plays LF with a reckless abandon that i imagine has won him many fans in the club house. But he can't hit worth a darn. His contact rates may have gotten a bit better, but he's still got a lot of work to do if he's going to be considering for a role with an MLB team.

As for the pitching? Change nothing in the bullpen, and nothing needs changing. Felix is the ace. Erasmo Ramirez looked vert solid. Keep Iwakuma. Give Hultzen/Paxton/Walker each a chance to fill a slot. Beaven is decent depth, but not good enough to be a full time starter IMO. Try to move Vargas if you can't, but if you can't I don't think he hurts the team as a #4/5 starter even with the fences moved in.

If the A's taught us anything, it's that a team can buck expectations in the AL West with the right set of moves. The M's need to break .500 and compete for a playoff spot, or we're probably looking at a new GM. And then a new drafting process, a new coaching staff, and all that fun stuff.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#3 » by TTown » Sun Oct 7, 2012 10:27 pm

alright, sports fans, anyone worth throwing a heap of money at in free agency?
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Mon Oct 8, 2012 10:05 pm

TTown wrote:alright, sports fans, anyone worth throwing a heap of money at in free agency?

It's exceptionally tough to know given the variability of the team's payroll. I wish we had some idea what their number was.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#5 » by wiff » Mon Feb 4, 2013 11:34 pm

I don't think moving the fences in are going to do anything to help the M's. All I think it is going to do is allow for more bombs from the other team.

My buddy and I last year made a bet. He asked me how many games I thought the M's would win I said 75. His jaw dropped because that's what he was thinking too. So we bet lunch. I took the under he took the over and low and behold we pushed.

Honestly I just don't see a whole lot of improvement coming. It would be nice if Gutti can stay away from parasites.

I'm finished with Smoak. This is the one time in history where the expression of "where there's Smoak there's fire" is false. He sucks. Their offense has been historically bad the last few years.

Personally I think as fans we need to shame the ownership group into selling the team. I'm of the assumption that wealthy Japanese business men don't like to be shamed in public.

I think the fans need to shame him into selling the team to Mark Cuban.

Return to Seattle Mariners