justin upton rejects trade to mariners

TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

justin upton rejects trade to mariners 

Post#1 » by TTown » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 am

apparently we offered furbush, pryor, nick franklin, and one of hultzen/paxton/walker.

which leads me and my uneducated opinion to say... thank you, justin upton. i think we get SLAUGHTERED in that deal.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: justin upton rejects trade to mariners 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:08 am

I don't know...I don't think bullpen arms are worth a ton compared to other assets. Walker was supposedly the guy, and while he has a lot of talent he's had his ups and downs. Not to mention SP prospects more often than not flame out before living up to their potential.

If Upton had only one year left I'd hate this idea, but he's team controlled for three more years. Add Upton to the lineup along with the prior addition of Morales and we have a very interesting team.
Slats
Junior
And1: 28

Post#3 » by Slats » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:40 am

Sweezo wrote:I don't know...I don't think bullpen arms are worth a ton compared to other assets. Walker was supposedly the guy, and while he has a lot of talent he's had his ups and downs. Not to mention SP prospects more often than not flame out before living up to their potential.

If Upton had only one year left I'd hate this idea, but he's team controlled for three more years. Add Upton to the lineup along with the prior addition of Morales and we have a very interesting team.

I agree, bullpen arms aren't worth that much.

I'd prefer Paxton was included rather than Walker.

I wouldn't call this trade dead and burried - Upton could be just rejecting this deal to gain leverage.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#4 » by TTown » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 pm

i don't think anyone really cares about the relievers, they really didn't factor into my opinion so much as giving up franklin and walker. i think upton is a park-friendly hitter who hit .250 w/ 6 bombs away from chase field. his breakthrough 2011 season, he hit .243 w/ 11 bombs away from chase (.333/20 at home)

i don't think franklin and walker are untouchable, i just never thought upton was the right piece. also, i'm deathly afraid of nl west hitters coming to safeco. unless you're brett boone, of course.
ImageImageImageImage
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#5 » by bennith13 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:18 pm

I think Upton is overrated too. Although, I would not have been that mad about what we were giving up. Personally I would rather trade Paxton over Walker. Whatever, doesn't look like it will happen anyways.

Return to Seattle Mariners