Seattle Mariners @ Chicago Cubs

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Seattle Mariners @ Chicago Cubs 

Post#1 » by Sweezo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:44 am

I'm going to go ahead and give a series thread a shot since there's so much that's happening with this team right now. Brad Miller gets called up and is now the starting SS. Ackley's getting a look as the starting CF tonight. Erasmo's getting the call soon. Hultzen's healthy and pitched well last night. Taiwan Walker's looking good in AAA too. Our first round pick [D.J. Peterson] hit grand slams in Everett in consecutive games.

Tonight was a hell of a good baseball game. Franklin had three hits [2 doubles] and looks locked in. Miller hit the ball hard...no basehits, but he did draw a walk, stole a base, and made some nice defensive plays. And then Zunino walks them off in extras. This is my first chance to really see Zunino and I like him. He's not there yet, but he's put together some at bats where he's seeing pitches and working the count.

This season's a lost cause but I don't feel things are hopeless for the future. I'm very interested to see what this team looks like after the trade deadline. I'm sure Ryan will be moved. The Orioles supposedly have interest in Joe Saunders but think the price is too high. Hopefully that changes as Saunders hasn't been good and shouldn't block a guy like Erasmo Ramirez.

I'd really like to see them team find a young OF to go along with the talent we have in the infield if possible. The team has money in FA [thanks to the new TV deal], and I'd like to see them spend it. Some of the people in final year of their M's contract this year are Guti [$7.3 million], Figgins [$8.5 million], Morse [$7 million], J. Saunders [$5.6 million], Ryan [$3.5 million], and Morales [$5.5 million]. That's a lot of payroll being shed, and few players seem like candidates to return. Guti has a $500k buyout [I think] and I would imagine the team is sick of counting on him for anything at this point.

I have no problem with going after Jacoby Ellsbury as a leadoff hitter and Shin Soo Choo. Add Stefan Romero to the OF mix, re-sign Kendrys Morales, and you could have a fun little team to watch.
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior
And1: 31

Re: Seattle Mariners @ Chicago Cubs 

Post#2 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Wed Jul 3, 2013 3:26 pm

Well, one thing I can say for sure is that I am amazed by Raul Ibanez! Sure, he's no part of our future, but the dude is 40+ and has jacked 20 homeruns already before the break. Jesus H. He's easily been our most dominant offensive power hitter. Crazy. He must be juicing on something.

Starting rotation doesn't do anything to get me excited except for Felix and Kuma. Can't wait until Walker is up. He's dominated Triple A since getting that call.

Offensively, we have Franklin, Seager, and Zunino. I mean, those are our three key YOUNG players on offense in the big leagues. Morales is a monster, definitely need to resign him. And, I know Morse can be an extremely productive player, but damn; Can he stay healthy?

We need to address SS badly, as well as find another proven young bat. Do we have the money for it? Because Morales is a really good 1B, so he's definitely not restricted to DH.

Guti is expendable, as is most of our roster.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Seattle Mariners @ Chicago Cubs 

Post#3 » by Sweezo » Thu Jul 4, 2013 3:50 am

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:Well, one thing I can say for sure is that I am amazed by Raul Ibanez! Sure, he's no part of our future, but the dude is 40+ and has jacked 20 homeruns already before the break. Jesus H. He's easily been our most dominant offensive power hitter. Crazy. He must be juicing on something.

I'm surprised I'm saying this but I wouldn't mind if the M's keep him around instead of trading him at the deadline and bring him back next year. He's miscast as a starting OF but his power is respectable. If given the choice between bringing Ibanez back on a 1 year/$2.5 million deal or resigning Morse to a multi-year deal to be a similar player...just go with Ibanez.

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:Offensively, we have Franklin, Seager, and Zunino. I mean, those are our three key YOUNG players on offense in the big leagues.

I think you have to throw Miller in that mix as well. The free agency SS is horrible and I'm fine with pencilling Miller in as the '14 starting SS.

Tonight, Zunino put in the type of performance that really excites me as a fan. He had an at bat against Holland that was dehumanizing. Holland threw four straight sliders low and in, daring Zunino to make him pay. Zunino swung over the top over the pitches he chose swing at, and took a seat. Then later on in the game, Holland kept using that same pitch BUT mixed in a couple fastballs inside to tie him up. Down 0-2 Zunino laid off a series of those sliders that ate him alive previously, worked a 3-2 count, and came up with a base hit RBI to tie the game at 2-2.

You could see him learning. You could see what Holland was doing to him and you could see Zunino figure out an approach. Flip through the box score and it's a blip on the radar, but watching it live made me stand up and scream at the TV. He might have a lot to learn still but he's showing me he's capable of figuring it out. And that's exciting. Compare that to Ackley who still doesn't seem to have a clue about what to do with anything on the outside edge of the strike.

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:Morales is a monster, definitely need to resign him. And, I know Morse can be an extremely productive player, but damn; Can he stay healthy?

I hope they keep Kendrys through the deadline, give him a qualifying 1 year/$13 million offer, and try to lock him up for 4-5 years.

Morse? Red flags. He's on the wrong side of 30, and he can't stay healthy. The only skill he offers is power, and he can't use that skill when he misses enough games that he loses any sense of timing at the plate when is able to play.

If given the choice between Morse or Smoak as a DH, I take Smoak. His .255/.362/.388 line on the year is surprisingly respectable. He's not likely to develop into a great power bat but that OBP is elite [#8 amongst 1B over 100 PA] and his SLG% is creeping up.

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:We need to address SS badly, as well as find another proven young bat. Do we have the money for it? Because Morales is a really good 1B, so he's definitely not restricted to DH.

After the M's takeover of ROOT Sports, they're primed to make a ton of money. They can re-allocate resources that were previously subject to league wide revenue sharing. The budget surprise of the offseason would be if the budget wasn't raised by a substantial amount.

That's why I put that idea of grabbing Ellsbury/Morales/Choo out there. That's probably about $50 million per year of salary right there.

But Ellsbury's an elite leadoff hitter. I know he's had two season marred by injury, but I'm willing to bet that he can be healthy over the course of a long term deal. He turns 30 towards the end of the year, but his skill set doesn't worry me. He can, and has, put up two seasons where he's stolen 50+ bases, and he's on pace to do so again this season.

Choo's an one base machine and presents a chance to right a wrong. Combine Ellsbury's speed with Choo' and Smoak's OBP skills at the top of the order, then let Kendrys and Seager get the RBI chances.

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:Guti is expendable, as is most of our roster.

Jack Z and Wedge have both made pointed comments this year that make it clear they're tired of not being able to count on Guti as a full time player. He's a value at his current salary if he plays a full season, but if he plays only a 1/3 of the season? Pass.

Return to Seattle Mariners