Mariners @ Oakland

Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Re: Mariners @ Oakland 

Post#21 » by Bulltalk » Tue May 6, 2014 4:14 am

Great job by the bullpen there in the 7th. Nice touch by McClendon, too.

Let's get another run or two to ease my worried mind here.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#22 » by Sweezo » Tue May 6, 2014 4:16 am

Bulltalk wrote:
Sweezo wrote:
I'm not the only one to think this, but I agree with the prevailing wisdom that Maurer looks like a good long reliever in the making, He's still not great against batters from both sides of the plate, but without having to worry about going 6+ innings (which he doesn't seem to have the stamina to do regularly at this level) I think he could be quite effective.

I also have no desire to trade Elias/Walker/Paxton. If they're healthy and they've made it, be lucky for what you have. I know you have to trade something to get something but having three young cost controlled members of your rotation means you can save money to use on other areas of weakness.

I can buy all of that.

You know what's awesome? I checked Iwakuma's contract status as I figured he would be a free agent after the season. I was incorrect...team has a $7 million club option for next season. For as much flack as Jack Z gets, the acquisition--and retention--of Iwakuma for a bargain basement price doesn't receive nearly as much praise as it should.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Bulltalk » Tue May 6, 2014 4:28 am

Sweezo wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:
Sweezo wrote:
I'm not the only one to think this, but I agree with the prevailing wisdom that Maurer looks like a good long reliever in the making, He's still not great against batters from both sides of the plate, but without having to worry about going 6+ innings (which he doesn't seem to have the stamina to do regularly at this level) I think he could be quite effective.

I also have no desire to trade Elias/Walker/Paxton. If they're healthy and they've made it, be lucky for what you have. I know you have to trade something to get something but having three young cost controlled members of your rotation means you can save money to use on other areas of weakness.

I can buy all of that.

You know what's awesome? I checked Iwakuma's contract status as I figured he would be a free agent after the season. I was incorrect...team has a $7 million club option for next season. For as much flack as Jack Z gets, the acquisition--and retention--of Iwakuma for a bargain basement price doesn't receive nearly as much praise as it should.

Jack Z has done some good things. What he hasn't done as of yet is given us a sure-fire consistently good hitter from the draft and down on the farm. Walker was a great pick, and Iwakuma a great pick-up as you mentioned.

PS>I love the Zunino pick.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Bulltalk » Tue May 6, 2014 4:41 am

What an effing play by Miller. That was HUGE!

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Sweezo » Tue May 6, 2014 4:41 am

Holy ****, a Ryan-esque play by Miller!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Sweezo » Tue May 6, 2014 4:42 am

Bulltalk wrote:What an effing play by Miller. That was HUGE!

No one else on this roster makes that play.

Ohhhh...Rodney just yo-yoed Brandon Moss. No chance.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Bulltalk » Tue May 6, 2014 4:45 am

We're.500 again. :rock: And at this moment tied for the 5th and final wild card spot.

We might be interesting and relevant again this summer. How great would that be?

Go M's.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Sweezo » Tue May 6, 2014 4:47 am

Bulltalk wrote:We're.500 again. :rock: And at this moment tied for the 5th and final wild card spot.

We might be interesting and relevant again this summer. How great would that be?

Go M's.

M's win.
A's lose.
Rangers lose.
Astros lose.
Angels tied...go Yankees.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Bulltalk » Tue May 6, 2014 4:48 am

Did you see that "silent treatment" the team gave Romero after his 1st ML HR? That was hilarious.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Sweezo » Tue May 6, 2014 4:49 am

Bulltalk wrote:Did you see that "silent treatment" the team gave Romero after his 1st ML HR? That was hilarious.

Always hilarious, and much better than a shaving cream pie to the face.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Bulltalk » Tue May 6, 2014 4:55 am

And props to the bullpen and McClendon's deft use of it. Nicely done.

Great win. Let's get 'em tomorrow.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Sweezo » Tue May 6, 2014 7:23 am

Bulltalk wrote:It seems our starting pitching rotation will be something like this when health comes around:

--Felix
--Iwakuma
--Elias
--Young
--Paxton/Walker

Going back to this point, and again making the exceptionally dangerous assumption that we can have all of these players healthy at the same, there's a possibility that no matter which of the five you face in a series that there's really no breaks.

Most rotations have those one of two guys shoehorned into the backend of the rotation that you aren't exactly afraid to face. For example, I've seen a fair enough of M's fans expressing relief that we aren't facing Sonny Gray, which means we're lucky enough to face Dan Strailly.

Strailly's not a bad pitcher by any means, but if anything he's an average pitcher than can be beaten.

Where's the respite amongst the M's big five if I may take some liberties?

Felix: A former Cy Young winner with great control of a mid-90's fastball, sinker, an unhittable change up, and a curve.
Iwakuma: Finished second in the Cy Young race last year, an efficient strikeout/groundball machine who has a dominant splitter/sinker combo.
Elias: Rookie who's still showing off new stuff: A mid 90's fastball, a devasting curve, and suddenly the strikeouts are arriving.
Paxton: High 90's fastball, a sinker, another devasting curve, and a developing change up.
Walker: Basically...he might be baby Felix.

As good as Chris Young was tonight, his upside is limited. If I'm the opposing team, I like my chances against Chris Young. I don't know that I can say the same about the other five.
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior
And1: 31

Post#33 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Tue May 6, 2014 8:59 pm

Saunders has been a monster in May. Hopefully he keeps it up because I have always been a big supporter of his. It would be great for him to stay healthy and hold down that leadoff spot.

I never thought we would be .500 again haha.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Bulltalk » Wed May 7, 2014 12:54 am

Sweezo wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:It seems our starting pitching rotation will be something like this when health comes around:

--Felix
--Iwakuma
--Elias
--Young
--Paxton/Walker

Going back to this point, and again making the exceptionally dangerous assumption that we can have all of these players healthy at the same, there's a possibility that no matter which of the five you face in a series that there's really no breaks.

Most rotations have those one of two guys shoehorned into the backend of the rotation that you aren't exactly afraid to face. For example, I've seen a fair enough of M's fans expressing relief that we aren't facing Sonny Gray, which means we're lucky enough to face Dan Strailly.

Strailly's not a bad pitcher by any means, but if anything he's an average pitcher than can be beaten.

Where's the respite amongst the M's big five if I may take some liberties?

Felix: A former Cy Young winner with great control of a mid-90's fastball, sinker, an unhittable change up, and a curve.
Iwakuma: Finished second in the Cy Young race last year, an efficient strikeout/groundball machine who has a dominant splitter/sinker combo.
Elias: Rookie who's still showing off new stuff: A mid 90's fastball, a devasting curve, and suddenly the strikeouts are arriving.
Paxton: High 90's fastball, a sinker, another devasting curve, and a developing change up.
Walker: Basically...he might be baby Felix.

As good as Chris Young was tonight, his upside is limited. If I'm the opposing team, I like my chances against Chris Young. I don't know that I can say the same about the other five.

All interesting and pertinent thoughts. I happen to be a little skeptical that BOTH Walker and Paxton will return to health and hit their strides this year. I would be pleased if one of them did, and the other made great strides in that direction. That's why I'm thinking Young may well have a place in the rotation THIS year. Also, he's a vet who's been through a lot, who personally and professionally has something to prove and will relish this opportunity to do so.

That's why I put the 5th starter as Paxton/Walker. Let's go with these four (Felix, Iwakuma, Young, Elias) and pitch the others carefully back into the swing of things. That's all.

The only reason why I'm still high on the M's now is because of our starting rotation's potential. Tinker with the bullpen till roles make sense. And hope that at least two of our young-ins take root as hitters. We don't need our lineup to be murderers row to compete for a wildcard spot. We just need to start approaching the middle-of-the-pack as a team of hitters.

Hey, I'm excited and optimistic about this team for the first time in years. I'm digging the thought that we're playing the A's tonight.

Good things. Good post.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Sweezo » Wed May 7, 2014 2:16 am

Off to another fantastic start. Jones scores on a wild pitch, then Smoak drive in Cano with a 2 out double.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Bulltalk » Wed May 7, 2014 3:04 am

Alright. Doing okay. Giving them a game.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior
And1: 31

Post#37 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Wed May 7, 2014 3:30 am

I love Elias.

Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Bulltalk » Wed May 7, 2014 3:33 am

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:I love Elias.

Me too. He's a man-child. Seemingly not intimidated by anything.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Sweezo » Wed May 7, 2014 3:36 am

Bulltalk wrote:Alright. Doing okay. Giving them a game.

The only thing keeping the game close is some bad luck. Elias may have given up some good contact earlier, but Chavez has had a couple balls absolutely tagged that just happened be right at someone.

I wonder if James Jones runs away with the CF job. We know he has speed, and he appears to have a strong throwing arm. He doesn't need to set the world on fire at the plate to be a good asset.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Sweezo » Wed May 7, 2014 3:38 am

Bulltalk wrote:
BayAreaMadSkill wrote:I love Elias.

Me too. He's a man-child. Seemingly not intimidated by anything.

Hasn't had his best control tonight but he worked through it and has looked pretty good the last couple innings. Of all the players to make a difference, he feels like he came out of nowhere. With most prospects I can rely on what I've read to have some idea who they are. I don't think I heard one word about Elias until Spring Training.

Return to Seattle Mariners