Thinking Basketball latest piece on Dirk

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,997

Thinking Basketball latest piece on Dirk 

Post#1 » by Mavrelous » Fri Oct 6, 2023 6:58 am

Thinking Basketball is doing a piece on offensive legends, he did a great piece on Steve Nash, naturally focusing on his SSOL Suns days, and now he covered Dirk.

Here's the video
;t=1259s&pp=ygUTdGhpbmtpbmcgYmFza2V0YmFsbA%3D%3D

Ben shortly covers pre-2005 Dirk, who was a very similar player to Lauri Markennen, less powerful, but insane body control and touch, then covers his best version, 2005-2012 Dirk, mid range master, with elite scoring ability on all 3 levels.
I loved the fact he actually covers one of the best and most underrated aspects of Dirk's game, off ball gravity, had Steph Curry not happened, Dirk would've been easily my top player in this aspect, Ben's video breakdown shows how Dirk's gravity changes the floor, and opens things up for the guard to operate.
I think you'll enjoy this one.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 905

Re: Thinking Basketball latest piece on Dirk 

Post#2 » by kacey ring » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:40 am

Pretty awesome video. I’m not familiar with the channel but the guy clearly spends a lot of time watching film.

Thanks for sharing
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#3 » by Mavrelous » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:00 am

kacey ring wrote:Pretty awesome video. I’m not familiar with the channel but the guy clearly spends a lot of time watching film.

Thanks for sharing

He was a poster on real GM before our time, he really spends a lot of time watching film, and his podcast (called Thinking Basketball) is really high level, nothing comes close in main stream sports media.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Baz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,709

Post#4 » by Baz » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:41 am

Really enjoyed that. I'll need to check out more of his channel.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#5 » by Mavrelous » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:28 pm

Dirk was on a podcast with Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,152

Post#6 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:16 pm

Dirk would won multiple rings if he was not playing in Cuban’s team.

Cuban killing the championship team was not enough and he did the same with killing WCF team. Cuban **** up with Nash not resigning and repeating same **** with Brunson…

Its a miracle that Dirk won despite Cuban
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#7 » by Mavrelous » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:22 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:Dirk would won multiple rings if he was not playing in Cuban’s team.

Cuban killing the championship team was not enough and he did the same with killing WCF team. Cuban **** up with Nash not resigning and repeating same **** with Brunson…

There's a huge difference between what happened with Nash and what happened with Brunson.
With Nash, he went and invested the money in Erika Dampier, bad basketball decision in hindsight, but it was a different era, Dirk was a different player back then, Nash wasn't PHX Nash, and it made some sense.
With Brunson, it was a **** up, followed by incompetent moves that led to a horrible roster.
With Dirk, Cuban turned heaven and earth to get him help, spent like a drunken sailor, we can criticize his decisions in hindsight, but not his willingness, with Luka, I don't see the same passion or willingness.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#8 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 2:41 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:Dirk would won multiple rings if he was not playing in Cuban’s team.

Totally agree.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 11:57 pm

Mavrelous wrote:

There's a huge difference between what happened with Nash and what happened with Brunson.
With Nash, he went and invested the money in Erika Dampier, bad basketball decision in hindsight, but it was a different era, Dirk was a different player back then, Nash wasn't PHX Nash, and it made some sense.
With Brunson, it was a **** up, followed by incompetent moves that led to a horrible roster.
With Dirk, Cuban turned heaven and earth to get him help, spent like a drunken sailor, we can criticize his decisions in hindsight, but not his willingness, with Luka, I don't see the same passion or willingness.

I think Nash was great. I mean he was all-star great maybe not MVP great. But that's something you retain if you ask me. And Cuban said that's one of his biggest regrets. Him doing similar stuff with Brunson is...

In terms of big mistakes, I think letting Brunson at that age, and on-court performance, poise, and off-court vibes with Luka was insane.

Letting Nash go was maybe related with money. Brunson was not even asking for too much. I think it was more of a talent misjudgment. And not committing to successful team as thinking that team is an overachiever. I think its similar to let Chandler go in that way. Dirk-Chandler was a great pairing. Chandler had 2-3 years of good/elite defense left in him.

Cuban bulldozed a successful team again. I mean if Dolan did that he'd be ridiculed in NBA media for a decade. For some reason, Cuban gets a pass each time.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 8:39 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

I think Nash was great. I mean he was all-star great maybe not MVP great. But that's something you retain if you ask me. And Cuban said that's one of his biggest regrets. Him doing similar stuff with Brunson is...

In terms of big mistakes, I think letting Brunson at that age, and on-court performance, poise, and off-court vibes with Luka was insane.

Letting Nash go was maybe related with money. Brunson was not even asking for too much. I think it was more of a talent misjudgment. And not committing to successful team as thinking that team is an overachiever. I think its similar to let Chandler go in that way. Dirk-Chandler was a great pairing. Chandler had 2-3 years of good/elite defense left in him.

Cuban bulldozed a successful team again. I mean if Dolan did that he'd be ridiculed in NBA media for a decade. For some reason, Cuban gets a pass each time.

Chandler fiasco is the worse probably and it's all about the money.

Dirk and the team waited 12years for a good defensive C, luckily we found TC ( in a very strange way ) and we won an incredible ring.

What was Cuban's reaction? let him go to the knicks because he didn't want to pay him... and I have to read users who defend him, that's incredible.

Cuban's career is full of bad choices due to his constant desire to feel like the smartest in the world, his luck was that Nelson pulled Dirk and Luka out of his hat.

After that title we had to put up with his pride and arrogance with phrases like "We love our guys in blue", "We have Frank", "Holmes will surprise a lot of people" etc etc
However, unlike others, he enjoys good press and this bull is quickly forgotten.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 2:14 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

Chandler fiasco is the worse probably and it's all about the money.

Dirk and the team waited 12years for a good defensive C, luckily we found TC ( in a very strange way ) and we won an incredible ring.

What was Cuban's reaction? let him go to the knicks because he didn't want to pay him... and I have to read users who defend him, that's incredible.

Cuban's career is full of bad choices due to his constant desire to feel like the smartest in the world, his luck was that Nelson pulled Dirk and Luka out of his hat.

After that title we had to put up with his pride and arrogance with phrases like "We love our guys in blue", "We have Frank", "Holmes will surprise a lot of people" etc etc
However, unlike others, he enjoys good press and this bull is quickly forgotten.

Cuban probably pays a considerable amount of money to reporters and organizations for good press too. Free tickets, letting players interview etc. Ringer, Bill Simmons media, ESPN etc they do not ridicule Cuban much. I dont know maybe its because Mavs are doing okayish. Dirk-Nash, then Luka-Brunson... Of course you'd make playoffs even if you suck as owner.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,151

Post#12 » by Mr B » Fri Dec 8, 2023 4:19 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

With Nash you have to also remember that he was very injury prone his last two years in Dallas. He was having back issues all the time. Then with the way he played (balls to the wall) they (Cuban and Donnie) they weren’t sure investing max money in Nash was smart long term. Plus they wanted to go with a more traditional center next to Dirk. Obviously they should have just resigned Nash but that is why they let him go.

With Brunson they just totally screwed that one up.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:53 am

Mr B wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

With Nash you have to also remember that he was very injury prone his last two years in Dallas. He was having back issues all the time. Then with the way he played (balls to the wall) they (Cuban and Donnie) they weren’t sure investing max money in Nash was smart long term. Plus they wanted to go with a more traditional center next to Dirk. Obviously they should have just resigned Nash but that is why they let him go.

With Brunson they just totally screwed that one up.

I am really surprised there were no bidders for Brunson including Mavs. I don't think Mavs offered $90m or such and Knicks beat our offer.
I'd even conspire that Cuban let the Knicks get a good player to stabilize them and get some off-court favors from Dolan.
Too too many deals between the Mavs-Knicks.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:29 pm

Cuban was very happy when Knicks made that offer, he saved a lot of money without looks like cheap.
Best scenario ever for him.

Return to Dallas Mavericks