Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Kings (9PMEST) 

Post#21 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:03 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:At this point Maxi might be worse than Powell, those injuries have really taken the physicality and athleticism out of him. He's like on skates defensively, slow skates.

The Kleber mith lived because his 3point shooting that was never been really good... He shoots well 1 game every 5 but he play all 5 games :lol:

Kleber-Powell were/are the worst pair of bigs in the world and we played them 5 straight years.
Resign them everytime obviously.

A few years ago Maxi was really good defensively (He had like a 6 block game against Zion and made him look silly all game long, etc) and had a much better arch on his 3s and could drive somewhat too.
Now defensively he looks overwhelmed and too slow and his shot is flat af.

Yes but he still was a 15/20 good spark off the bench who maked 1 triple for game ... Overrated as hell... Indeed a lot of people here and in the FO preferred him to Markaneen.

Probably we can't trade for a backup C because we have him, Powell and Holmes who are untradables.
This is the situation. Maybe now someone is worried about those past horrible renewals.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,225

Post#22 » by Archx » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:14 am

Playing this many minutes on a bad ankle in two days, damn... They'll burn him out even before all star game again. Basically every year is the same, it's incredible. I mean what's the point if they even barely make the playoffs OR he gets totally tired when playoffs arrive.

These small injuries Mavs have had over the season all add up at some point but also i have no clue anymore who is sitting just to rest. Maxi is totally out of form, Kyrie sitting so many games, DJJ injured, Kidd being a **** coach and not giving high energy guys minutes over washed up veterans. This season feels like it's cursed again.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,996

Post#23 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:31 am

Archx wrote:Playing this many minutes on a bad ankle in two days, damn... They'll burn him out even before all star game again. Basically every year is the same, it's incredible. I mean what's the point if they even barely make the playoffs OR he gets totally tired when playoffs arrive.

These small injuries Mavs have had over the season all add up at some point but also i have no clue anymore who is sitting just to rest. Maxi is totally out of form, Kyrie sitting so many games, DJJ injured, Kidd being a **** coach and not giving high energy guys minutes over washed up veterans. This season feels like it's cursed again.

Casey Smith was demoted/dismissed, not clear why, maybe he got the blame for Doncic thigh injury? In any case, the team seems to have massive setback in this department, it wasn't the Casey Smith fault the team had only 2 ball handlers last year and they were run to the ground.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 125

Post#24 » by joesha1698 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:38 am

Archx wrote:Playing this many minutes on a bad ankle in two days, damn... They'll burn him out even before all star game again. Basically every year is the same, it's incredible. I mean what's the point if they even barely make the playoffs OR he gets totally tired when playoffs arrive.

This is what happens when you build an offensive around one guy. Luka has the ball every play. Not wise. Give the ball up and learn to play while using less energy. Off the ball, in the post, catch and shoot, there are a lot of plays to score w/o the every possession grind and pound it out style. I would love to see this team run the triangle like the old Lakers or Bulls. It promotes ball movement, player movement, and less 1 on 1 style.

Btw, Kyrie is smart. When you play hurt, you get injured. Kyrie learned his lesson earlier in his career. He has had some major season ending injuries. Those small aches and pains that Luka is playing through will eventually become chronic if he is not careful and then when he least expects it - the big season ending injury.

You know the problem with most NBA players since Michael Jordan retired? They want to score too many points. Some might look at Kyrie scoring 25ppg at 6'2 and think that's really great. Some might look at Luka averaging 32ppg 8 rebs and 10 assist as great. However, I just see a lot of unnecessary usage....wear and tear where 1 or 2 guys are carrying a big load...while sacrificing their defense and bodies in the long-term for this idea of what it means to be the "man".

The Spurs had the correct blueprint. Tim Duncan only did enough. He didn't chase this " Michael Jordan" idea of greatness. He just played the game right..The spurs goal was to execute and play as a team. Not allow one or two men to do all the world. That's why half of these guys are injured by 30 in today's league. That's why LeBron ( who has always tried to play the right way) had to leave Cleveland the 1st time. They would have wore him out and he would not of had the longevity he has had.

I wish guys could put their numbers aside and just play the right way. Luka averaging 25ppg, 8-9rpg, and 8 assist per game - and putting more energy on defense to become an above avg defender while putting the emphasis on other teammates stepping up would be better for him overall.

The same thing with Kyrie. At his size and style of play - to decrease injuries he needs to aim to score about 15ppg, 5rpg, and he could easily average 12-13 apg. While spending more time on the defensive end. He shouldn't really worry about scoring that much until it's absolutely needed. This will also allow him to give more effort on the defensive end when your not looking to score 25ppg.

I would then look to fill out my roster with guys good bball iq and that are completing on both ends. Execution, defense, and team work over numbers. This will prolong careers and actually lead to better team ball.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,225

Post#25 » by Archx » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:20 pm

Mavrelous wrote:

Casey Smith was demoted/dismissed, not clear why, maybe he got the blame for Doncic thigh injury? In any case, the team seems to have massive setback in this department, it wasn't the Casey Smith fault the team had only 2 ball handlers last year and they were run to the ground.

Yeah no clue. It's weird that it was only discovered when Slovenian NT doctor did a proper scan.

But the two biggest mysteries to me are Kyrie's constant little injuries and Maxi's toe. Might be better to just amputate that thing at this point so he could at least play :lol:

joesha1698 wrote:I wish guys could put their numbers aside and just play the right way. Luka averaging 25ppg, 8-9rpg, and 8 assist per game - and putting more energy on defense to become an above avg defender while putting the emphasis on other teammates stepping up would be better for him overall.

The same thing with Kyrie. At his size and style of play - to decrease injuries he needs to aim to score about 15ppg, 5rpg, and he could easily average 12-13 apg. While spending more time on the defensive end. He shouldn't really worry about scoring that much until it's absolutely needed. This will also allow him to give more effort on the defensive end when your not looking to score 25ppg.

I would then look to fill out my roster with guys good bball iq and that are completing on both ends. Execution, defense, and team work over numbers. This will prolong careers and actually lead to better team ball.

Unfortunately that's not how it works in reality. NBA teams usually have one or two stars, if they're lucky one more joins in free agency and they share the load.
Since Dirk retired, Mavs had 1 guy who they overly relied on. He's just been too good from the start. A lot of what you said is just a fiction. It's like saying MJ don't score over 30pts each game, let Steve Kerr, Jud Buechler and Rodman score more and you will get less tired. That's simply not how it is.

If you want to do what you suggested, you'd need a super team like those prime GSW teams or Suns in the past, etc... Then you need a coach who can tie everything together, someone who can come up with different schemes and proper player rotations.

Kidd literally said yesterday, Luka is their entire offensive structure, they have nothing else lol... He played 45 and 46 minutes back to back on a bad ankle.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#26 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:33 pm

joesha1698 wrote:Btw, Kyrie is smart. When you play hurt, you get injured. Kyrie learned his lesson earlier in his career. He has had some major season ending injuries. Those small aches and pains that Luka is playing through will eventually become chronic if he is not careful and then when he least expects it - the big season ending injury.

Kyrie missed PO games:
2015 -- 7
2016 -- 0
2017 -- 0
2018 -- missed all of the PO games
2019 -- 0
2020 -- missed all of the PO games
2021 -- 5 game (got injured in the 3rd game of 7 game series)
2022 -- 0 (his team played 4 games and got swept)

Regular season is also very bad.
Along all of his career, Kyrie wasn't available for his teams, we can justify it, we can find excuses for it, but we can not, in any way, claim it is smart, he clearly failed to be available for his team, a lot.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:02 pm

About the game , we can't stop Fox.
Green defense is overrated, probably Exum can be better...
joesha1698
Senior

Post#28 » by joesha1698 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:18 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Btw, Kyrie is smart. When you play hurt, you get injured. Kyrie learned his lesson earlier in his career. He has had some major season ending injuries. Those small aches and pains that Luka is playing through will eventually become chronic if he is not careful and then when he least expects it - the big season ending injury.

Kyrie missed PO games:
2015 -- 7
2016 -- 0
2017 -- 0
2018 -- missed all of the PO games
2019 -- 0
2020 -- missed all of the PO games
2021 -- 5 game (got injured in the 3rd game of 7 game series)
2022 -- 0 (his team played 4 games and got swept)

Regular season is also very bad.
Along all of his career, Kyrie wasn't available for his teams, we can justify it, we can find excuses for it, but we can not, in any way, claim it is smart, he clearly failed to be available for his team, a lot.

Well, it proves my point. When your 6'2 and and his size and you play an aggressive style ( averaging 25 ppg) those hurts will turn into injuries. The smart comment was him learning from constantly playing hurt - leads to more serious injuries. So, now when he has something that could turn into an injury - he's smart enough to get healthy and not let it linger on.

This is one of the reasons Kwahi Leonard refused to play when he was hurt with the Spurs. These same organizations and fans ( like yourself) could careless when said player plays through all the pain only for injuries to ruin their career. See Isaiah Thomas. He got injured and didn't get paid and never saw the league again.

I'll repeat, tim Duncan, tony Park, manu - were kind of the blueprint of how to save your body and play the right way....they were the first to do the load management as well. They played unselfish and no one had to worry about putting big numbers up. If we can get back to that in the NBA we will have better teams, actual defense, and less injuries for the better players.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#29 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:45 pm

joesha1698 wrote:Well, it proves my point. When your 6'2 and and his size and you play an aggressive style ( averaging 25 ppg) those hurts will turn into injuries. The smart comment was him learning from constantly playing hurt - leads to more serious injuries. So, now when he has something that could turn into an injury - he's smart enough to get healthy and not let it linger on.

This is one of the reasons Kwahi Leonard refused to play when he was hurt with the Spurs. These same organizations and fans ( like yourself) could careless when said player plays through all the pain only for injuries to ruin their career. See Isaiah Thomas. He got injured and didn't get paid and never saw the league again.

I'll repeat, tim Duncan, tony Park, manu - were kind of the blueprint of how to save your body and play the right way....they were the first to do the load management as well. They played unselfish and no one had to worry about putting big numbers up. If we can get back to that in the NBA we will have better teams, actual defense, and less injuries for the better players.

I still fail to see the smart part when his availability is well below that of other small guards of his age, guys like Curry, Holiday and Lillard (before tanking) or even Mike Conely, there is no reference to a guy similar to Kyrie in age and size, that played through injury and missed more games, Kyrie is one of the least available players among stars, I wouldn't consider any tactic he's employing in that regard as smart.
To give an example, Kyrie fights for offensive boards on his drives, he's made some spectacular plays because of it, he actually saved an important ball this way against the Knicks or the Pels, don't remember which, that saved the game, but, this is an extremely risky play for someone his size, that's how he got hurt against the Bucks in 21.

Kawhi refused to play, and resumed to go down during the PO twice, despite heavy load management from his team, load management that was criticized and they are clearly doing much less of this year.

Duncan, Manu and Parker played for a very well run organization, they constantly had a center next Duncan when he was younger to protect his body, and assigned a 3&D player to dedicate screen navigation and hustle to, and having the 3 of them to trust with ball also helped, they also played in a much less spaced era that required much less closeouts, this is totally different era.

Luka has Kyrie (missed 19 games) and Exum (missed 12 games, and is clearly not 100% still and not close to his pre-injury form), the rest of the players can't be trusted to initiate offense, Brunson had much higher usage rate than Luka before Kyrie went down against POR.
Luka's load pre-injuries was totally fine, once the team is healthy again, I expect it to go down signficantly, I hope it won't be too late and the team is still in PO spot contention.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#30 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:05 pm

Jaden Hardy took a very good rookie year, in which he kept improving on and on, and decided to regress to worse than where he started last year, what a disaster year by him, playing his way out of the league...
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 719

Post#31 » by BliscoSantos » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:30 pm

joesha1698 wrote:

This is what happens when you build an offensive around one guy. Luka has the ball every play. Not wise. Give the ball up and learn to play while using less energy. Off the ball, in the post, catch and shoot, there are a lot of plays to score w/o the every possession grind and pound it out style. I would love to see this team run the triangle like the old Lakers or Bulls. It promotes ball movement, player movement, and less 1 on 1 style.

Btw, Kyrie is smart. When you play hurt, you get injured. Kyrie learned his lesson earlier in his career. He has had some major season ending injuries. Those small aches and pains that Luka is playing through will eventually become chronic if he is not careful and then when he least expects it - the big season ending injury.

You know the problem with most NBA players since Michael Jordan retired? They want to score too many points. Some might look at Kyrie scoring 25ppg at 6'2 and think that's really great. Some might look at Luka averaging 32ppg 8 rebs and 10 assist as great. However, I just see a lot of unnecessary usage....wear and tear where 1 or 2 guys are carrying a big load...while sacrificing their defense and bodies in the long-term for this idea of what it means to be the "man".

The Spurs had the correct blueprint. Tim Duncan only did enough. He didn't chase this " Michael Jordan" idea of greatness. He just played the game right..The spurs goal was to execute and play as a team. Not allow one or two men to do all the world. That's why half of these guys are injured by 30 in today's league. That's why LeBron ( who has always tried to play the right way) had to leave Cleveland the 1st time. They would have wore him out and he would not of had the longevity he has had.

I wish guys could put their numbers aside and just play the right way. Luka averaging 25ppg, 8-9rpg, and 8 assist per game - and putting more energy on defense to become an above avg defender while putting the emphasis on other teammates stepping up would be better for him overall.

It sound good in theory ,but Timmy came to the league and played with Robinson,Bradley,etc..then he played with Tony,Manu,Bowen,etc.. which of this Mavs players would get minutes on that Spurs team,beside Kyrie...Green maybe 5-10 minutes,Grant 5 minutes...the Mavs have a deeply flawed roster...a bunch od one Player specialists who aren't even that great at that one thing they're supposedly good at

Mavs need to have more of a teamball sistem,but you need Players who can do more than one thing for that
joesha1698
Senior

Post#32 » by joesha1698 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:02 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

It sound good in theory ,but Timmy came to the league and played with Robinson,Bradley,etc..then he played with Tony,Manu,Bowen,etc.. which of this Mavs players would get minutes on that Spurs team,beside Kyrie...Green maybe 5-10 minutes,Grant 5 minutes...the Mavs have a deeply flawed roster...a bunch od one Player specialists who aren't even that great at that one thing they're supposedly good at

Mavs need to have more of a teamball sistem,but you need Players who can do more than one thing for that

I agree that the roster has flaws but its also flawed because since Day 1 - Mark Cuban has been accommodating what Luka needs to put up great numbers. See James Harden. Luka Ball doesn't correlate to a long healthy career because his usage is crazy when you combine it with his style of play and his body isnt exactly in tip shop shape. He also spends so much time on offense - this style of play doesn't correlate to playing defense. It doesn't correlate to having guys on the team that can also step up offensively because they aren't use to having the ball - this is why we live and die by the 3. James Harden and the rockets once missed 20+ threes in a row in a playoff game with this style. I prefer an offense where the balls moves and everything isnt initiated by one guy. I would love to see back door cuts, more versatile players, not just 3 and D guys because everything is built around Luka's style of play.
joesha1698
Senior

Post#33 » by joesha1698 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:12 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Well, it proves my point. When your 6'2 and and his size and you play an aggressive style ( averaging 25 ppg) those hurts will turn into injuries. The smart comment was him learning from constantly playing hurt - leads to more serious injuries. So, now when he has something that could turn into an injury - he's smart enough to get healthy and not let it linger on.

I still fail to see the smart part when his availability is well below that of other small guards of his age, guys like Curry, Holiday and Lillard (before tanking) or even Mike Conely, there is no reference to a guy similar to Kyrie in age and size, that played through injury and missed more games, Kyrie is one of the least available players among stars, I wouldn't consider any tactic he's employing in that regard as smart.
To give an example, Kyrie fights for offensive boards on his drives, he's made some spectacular plays because of it, he actually saved an important ball this way against the Knicks or the Pels, don't remember which, that saved the game, but, this is an extremely risky play for someone his size, that's how he got hurt against the Bucks in 21.

Kawhi refused to play, and resumed to go down during the PO twice, despite heavy load management from his team, load management that was criticized and they are clearly doing much less of this year.

Duncan, Manu and Parker played for a very well run organization, they constantly had a center next Duncan when he was younger to protect his body, and assigned a 3&D player to dedicate screen navigation and hustle to, and having the 3 of them to trust with ball also helped, they also played in a much less spaced era that required much less closeouts, this is totally different era.

Luka has Kyrie (missed 19 games) and Exum (missed 12 games, and is clearly not 100% still and not close to his pre-injury form), the rest of the players can't be trusted to initiate offense, Brunson had much higher usage rate than Luka before Kyrie went down against POR.
Luka's load pre-injuries was totally fine, once the team is healthy again, I expect it to go down signficantly, I hope it won't be too late and the team is still in PO spot contention.

You cant really compare one guys body to the next. Your also comparing guys who are different ages. Kyrie plays vastly different from Curry, Holiday, and Lillard and Brunson is younger. Curry is really the gold standard of health for a small guard (because of his style as a shooter) despite his ankle injuries early in his career. However, everyone body is different. Grant Hill was injured all of his career. Style of play and the body you have will decide a lot. Stevie Francis, Baron Davis, Derick Rose...there's a reason why these guys careers didnt last as long as some others.

Curry primarily moves without the ball and shoots. Holiday takes it easy on offense - jump shot and post here and there - and he puts a lot of energy on defense. Lillard really focuses on shooting and really increased his range (like Curry) and this reduces his impact on his body. If you watch Lillard play he's really coasting through most of the game and isnt known to really try too hard on defense. He's basically saving his body.

In Kyrie's case, he would be better off if we used him like Rip Hamilton/ Allen Iverson most of the game. Which means, come off screens/quick and pop shots - and just avoid the paint unless its absolutely necessary or he has easy layups. I just think his style of play (an aggressive attacking style) puts a lot of wear and tear of his body. Kyrie is going up against the giants on a night to night basis- (one of the best small finishers at the basket ever) see the performance vs the Knicks and some of those shots he made at the basket. Very impressive but the wear and tear will add up. (side note: when Kyrie got injuried versus the Bucks, the Nets were up 2-0 without Harden. Kyrie got hurt in the paint when Giannas stuck his foot underneath him)
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Cuban hits the lottery with Doncic ... He maked the Mavs a cheap perennial PO team so the AAC full every game.

But i agree that those Spurs was the exception and not the rule, they were too much depth teams.
joesha1698
Senior

Post#35 » by joesha1698 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:25 pm

I also just thought of this, was the decision to draft Green over Bane seen through the eyes of who would fit better with Luka? Is it possible that the Mavs took a player with a lower talent threshold because they were looking for fit over talent? I'm just saying. I saw this same thing with James Harden for years. It was, we have to find guys that fit James Harden style of play - without ever questioning if his style of play will ever lead to winning? I do not think other good players want to play in an offense where 1 player dominates the ball that much. To Harden's credit he has backed off this style a lot since his time with the Nets, Philly, and now clippers. I still believe that Harden Ball and Luka Ball is good in the half court and late in quarters when we need to manufacture offense. We just shouldn't play this way the whole game. If your a talented player, you need to be involved. You cannot turn K.Lenoard and P. George into spectators no more than you can turn Kyrie Irving into one.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:33 pm

joesha1698 wrote:I also just thought of this, was the decision to draft Green over Bane seen through the eyes of who would fit better with Luka? Is it possible that the Mavs took a player with a lower talent threshold because they were looking for fit over talent? I'm just saying. I saw this same thing with James Harden for years. It was, we have to find guys that fit James Harden style of play - without ever questioning if his style of play will ever lead to winning? I do not think other good players want to play in an offense where 1 player dominates the ball that much. To Harden's credit he has backed off this style a lot since his time with the Nets, Philly, and now clippers. I still believe that Harden Ball and Luka Ball is good in the half court and late in quarters when we need to manufacture offense. We just shouldn't play this way the whole game. If your a talented player, you need to be involved. You cannot turn K.Lenoard and P. George into spectators no more than you can turn Kyrie Irving into one.

Probably yes but it was a mistake anyway because we could had drafted Green with the #31 pick for sure.

With that pick we have chosen a PG with already Luka and Brunson on the roster :banghead:

Return to Dallas Mavericks