ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G4 - Mavs vs Clippers (Sund., 3:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 3,186

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G4 - Mavs vs Clippers (Sund., 3:30PMEST) 

Post#221 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:56 am

Ok click the second video I can't figure out how to only show the one I want to show. Watch Maxi back away when Harden is attacking the rim. Was this thing rigged or something? How can you run from the guy who's about to score? Why would Kidd want this guy in when he has Dereck Lively?

Read on Twitter
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,854

Post#222 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:27 am

Dirk wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wish they included the question, to better understand the context. It feels weird that Kidd would be talking about giving up "contested 2s", when those floaters weren't contested.

Seriuosly guys, i quit.

I'm out until that idiot is the coach of the Dallas Mavericks.
No respect for the game.
No respect for the fans.

Good PO to everybody. See ya.
AJace
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#223 » by AJace » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:27 am

Dirk wrote:
Read on Twitter

So giving up wide open points in the paint is better than lower percentage 3s. Please tell me this is all just a dream.
ChipotleWest
Analyst

Post#224 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:12 am

The only coach the Mavs have fired since Cuban bought the team was Avery and that only happened due to the connection between Donnie Nelson and Rick Carlisle. They're too loyal to coaches and too loyal to players like Maxi and Powell who don't move the needle.
ChipotleWest
Analyst

Post#225 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:27 am

I think just him trying to shake things up in Game 4 4th quarter for an entire quarter trying to do something he hasn't all series is just so frustrating. It might cost us the series and the season. But I've ranted enough, I'm done talking about it. On the Mavs board and on the general board.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,154

Post#226 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:38 am

My fear is we lose G4. We will lose G5. :banghead:
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
ChipotleWest
Analyst

Post#227 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:00 am

GermanFan120 wrote:My fear is we lose G4. We will lose G5. :banghead:

I no longer care. Put me out of my misery sooner. It's not like we're winning a championship with this coach.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,025

Post#228 » by tleikheen » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:07 am

Did some of these twitter commenters watch the same game as we did .Saying it was the beginning of the game and falling behind that did in the Mavs .Saying they ran of gas .... they didnt run of gas. They caught up because they played harder and better like they should have played at the start of the game. These same PPL can't remember the Mavs took the lead . They didnt run of gas then .....NO they played without a Center down the stretch and Clippers attacked that relentlessly and ATE them up going over Maxi repeatedly . Thats the game I saw.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,664

Post#229 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:19 am

I slept early in the 3rd Q, missed the end of the game, I expectd to make it respectable, I didn't expect to take the lead with 2 minutes to go.
3.5 days rest are much needed, Mavs have 0 production from the bench guard players, Luka on a bum knee after intense 40+ minutes was going to collapse.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,422

Post#230 » by dygaction » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:42 am

Dirk wrote:
dygaction wrote:Lessons:
1. if you get two fouls in the first quarter, sit. Luka not being able to defend hurt the team;
2. Don't dig a 31 pt hole in the first half;
3. Either Gafford or Lively II needs to be on the court;
4. Luka was not himself and played bad, but he played 45 min with a +10. Go back to watch the game, what on earth happened during that 3 min with a -15? Like Exum very much but he needs to be out of the rotation.

1. Probably a fair point... especially if Luka is injured or not himself... or whatever.

This is probably "depression talking"... but I miss THJr... or I guess some delusional version I imagine of him hitting 3 pointers at a good rate.

Cannot imagine THJ would be worse than Exum, so timidly bad.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#231 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:48 am

dygaction wrote:
Dirk wrote:
dygaction wrote:Lessons:
1. if you get two fouls in the first quarter, sit. Luka not being able to defend hurt the team;
2. Don't dig a 31 pt hole in the first half;
3. Either Gafford or Lively II needs to be on the court;
4. Luka was not himself and played bad, but he played 45 min with a +10. Go back to watch the game, what on earth happened during that 3 min with a -15? Like Exum very much but he needs to be out of the rotation.

1. Probably a fair point... especially if Luka is injured or not himself... or whatever.

This is probably "depression talking"... but I miss THJr... or I guess some delusional version I imagine of him hitting 3 pointers at a good rate.

Check Luka +/- even when playing bad by his standards...
Mavs have no backup PG, Kyrie is the best Maverick this series hands down, but he's not a PG, not against this Clippers defense.
Luka can't sit, Mavs just can't operate offensively without him, Exum has been a huge let down.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,422

Post#232 » by dygaction » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:49 am

Read on Twitter

The first play, if Maxi were Clippers' center, him backing back and boxing others to give Harden the open lane would be understandable and actually well executed.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,154

Post#233 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:57 am

Frank Vogel? Anyone? Any thoughts?
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#234 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:04 am

F'in frusturating. I hate the way REFS switched this series to sth else. The games are officiated even tougher than so-called old-school NBA days, especially for Luka. Mann can hold him, pull him push him as much as he likes to.
When you allow holding on to opponent player with two hands, when refs not calling foul even Harden and Westbrook are not becoming huge defensive liabilities like they normally are for playoffs.

On the other end though maybe PG13-Kawhi weren't getting easy calls but Harden is somehow still getting them. I hate our coaching get forced to 'no touch defense' for Harden like if it was 2019 playoffs or sth. I'd rather lose by some BS FTs then allowing Harden whatever he likes to do. Due to officiating, we acted Harden like Trae Young. Like allow him whatever he likes and he'd miss enough. But Harden is not that trash so it backfired.

I'd rather die by FTs by Harden, or simply Mann-WB etc trying some open 3s. Passing out, Harden may have turned the ball over, or Mann would miss a 3. Even Harden's step back 3 is not that big of a threat. I know he made a lot of them today but **** it force him to do that again. Roll the dice.

Refs put Kyrie in foul problem G3, and now they did this on Luka very early on to tie the series. Considering Luka has lingering injuries due to WB-Mann going for his knee, I wish they rested him more instead of leaving him in and doing matador defense. That really killed our momentum and help Clips to build one early game. They build confidence and made all the shots later which was partly luck. I dont know if Kidd has taken Luka out 10 mins left in Q1, I guess a lot of people would ask for his head so I dont know. Kyrie didn't score in Q1 but then with adjustments they just went for him and he played his best Mavs game ever. Its terrible that we lost the game, I wish he didn't forced too much after that PG13 three. Couple turnovers, refs didn't call fouls... Anyway, hope he and Luka stays healthy somehow. If we advance we'll need them.

Overall though, if Mavs lose this series, Kidd is most likely gone, FO will be in very tough position. Traded every pick and **** but the team is still not there. Kawhi is out but now we cannot defend Harden. PJ is good but we probably needed one more like DFS. Brunson is balling on the other side. It's just a big, big misuse of the assets so far. Like that Denver team added Gordon without sending Murray-MPJ-Jokic away. We could've add an elite SF/PF to Luka-Brunson with all those picks. Keeping Brunson and then trading him for wing player, while getting Kyrie in another trade or sign&trade free agency could've been a better option.

The team will regroup and I am putting my money for Mavs to advance in 6. However, it feels like most new faces need more playoff reps. It will be hard against OKC after this taxing series. I wish we had OKC in 1st round then go for injury-riddled Clippers in 2nd round. And if we matchup against Denver in WCF, I dont think we have any chance if they're fully healthy.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#235 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:11 am

GermanFan120 wrote:Frank Vogel? Anyone? Any thoughts?

Just got swept against Wolves. Made all of Wolves players even better than what they're in regular season. Its like Utah Jazz winning over OKC Thunder with MVP Russ, prime PG13, Melo-J.Grant-Adams. Better version of that Gobert-Mitchell Jazz team got abused by Mavs later.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#236 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:14 am

dygaction wrote:
Read on Twitter

The first play, if Maxi were Clippers' center, him backing back and boxing others to give Harden the open lane would be understandable and actually well executed.

That play was not that great at all. Even if PG caught that ball, there was a great chance that he'd get blocked by DJJ-Maxi duo as he got blocked in few other plays in 4th.
That 3pt shot is pure luck. PG making a clutch 3, step back in the corner, over the board. That'd be a crazy odd to make that shot.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#237 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:19 am

Mavrelous wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Mavs have no backup PG, Kyrie is the best Maverick this series hands down, but he's not a PG, not against this Clippers defense.
Luka can't sit, Mavs just can't operate offensively without him, Exum has been a huge let down.

To be honest, I am pleasantly surprised with the way DJJ played this game. He was even making 3s. Exum, DJJ and many others. We are hoping too much from vet. min. players. F'in Dinwiddie should've signed with us instead of bum lakers.

In general, this team was constructed this year, and most of the main rotation guys came two months ago. Not enough playoff experience.

A lot of heart, both PJ and Gafford are amazing in terms of effort but then again, Gafford got abused frequently in this series. PJ wasn't that lock-down defender against Harden, even giving him an and-1. PJ is a better athlete than DFS but has much fewer reps in playoffs.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#238 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:21 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
dygaction wrote:

To be honest, I am pleasantly surprised with the way DJJ played this game. He was even making 3s. Exum, DJJ and many others. We are hoping too much from vet. min. players. F'in Dinwiddie should've signed with us instead of bum lakers.

In general, this team was constructed this year, and most of the main rotation guys came two months ago. Not enough playoff experience.

A lot of heart, both PJ and Gafford are amazing in terms of effort but then again, Gafford got abused frequently in this series. PJ wasn't that lock-down defender against Harden, even giving him an and-1. PJ is a better athlete than DFS but has much fewer reps in playoffs.

DJJ has been absolutely awesome defensively, same with PJ, but I'm talking about running the offense, and ability to score.
There are only 2 players that can score, and only one of them is a PG, I hoped Exum could give 15 minutes if backup PG when Luka sits and another 10 of backup wing, but it's not happening.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#239 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:25 am

Dirk wrote:If anyone has the stomach to watch/read post game interviews... can someone quote me if they ask the coach or players what they were doing on that Harden defense?

Forgetting that... Paul George nearly went out of bounds and then hit a crazy shot. Despite all the faults... it almost really came down to that random play.

Listening to Bill Simmons podcast, they also made a point to that shot.
Luka 3, Kyrie impossible double clutch layup over 3 Clippers. Mavs had all the momentum and got the lead.
That PG 3 was out of desperation of a very good DJJ defense. And he f'in made it.

Also in 1st and 2nd quarter they made absurd shots as well. 8/11 in 3s that were mostly challenged. Harden was like prime-Harden with step backs while Luka couldn't buy a bucket, PJ was not shooting well, Green missed some.

Looking at the box score; PG 7/10 sounds hard to believe. At least half of those shots were heavily contested... Harden 4/5. Its kinda reminds Miami Heat winning over Celtics with 3s. To be fair, Heat didn't make that many contested 3pt shots. It was mostly semi-open pull up 3s after a pass.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,025

Post#240 » by tleikheen » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 am

Vogel ...ISO,ISO offense and lack of passing . Bol Bol repeatedly outplayed Eubanks, O'Neale Okogee off the bench and Vogel is suppose to be a big man coach .Now he's going to get fired . Phoenix needed someone who could rebound and he bet his coaching career on small guys .

Return to Dallas Mavericks