ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G4 - Mavs vs Thunder (Mond., 9:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,656

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G4 - Mavs vs Thunder (Mond., 9:30PMEST) 

Post#181 » by dygaction » Tue May 14, 2024 8:31 pm

Bob8 wrote:
dygaction wrote:Of course there are haters and invested fans of other teams feasting on "fat" luka narrative on other boards, but I hope this can at least wait until Mavs playoff run ends on Mavs board... Him playing injured should at least earn him some benefit of doubt that the weight issue might be related with missed training or steriod/medicine needed for bad knees.
The 7-game seires is tied at 2:2. Let's get the most critical game 5!

Problem is that fat Luka thread on GB started here.

I am glad a thread is there early on GB from here. That "This was Luka at the beginning of the season" is the friendlist and nicest thread title you can call for at that moment last night. Even the two pictures I could not tell the fit or body fat difference. Also it helped lock the next actual "Fat Doncic" thread later on :noway: :crazy:
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,213

Post#182 » by GermanFan120 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:27 pm

I don't know why it's hard for some of you to understand knee issue/injury is usually related to weight and/or strength.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,941

Post#183 » by arkuo » Tue May 14, 2024 10:56 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Had Luka the best RS of his career? Had he the best stats of his career? Did he score the most points? Did he averaged the most assists of his career? Had he the best efficiency of his career? Had he the best 3pts % of his career?

Answer on everything is yes. It's impossible to have RS like that, if you're fat and have bad conditioning. That's why I'm bringing those numbers. Numbers show that he had unbelievable season. Your claim that he's fat and unprepared is more anecdotal than anything else. The only fact is that he can't hit anything after 10 days rest. Which doesn't bode well with bad conditioning claim.

I'm pretty sure, if Mavs win the ring, those fat claims will look very stupid.

It's ok, you don't get it. Lets move on and lets just stay out of this conversation.

Yes, I don't get that fat athlete with bad conditioning can have generational RS. I'm 100% sure that's not possible.

RS doesn't mean anything at this point. Rudy Gobert also won DPOY for RS 4 times. Doesn't mean anything now. Luka is even below Gobert by that standard as generational or not, he hasn't won any award. Much less 4x. Best Luka could target is a trajectory similar to Russell Westbrook who won the MVP in 2016 if memory serves me right. Westbrook and Luka are very similar. Triple double stats look impressive in RS but barely makes an impact when it matters. Westbrook has hardware to show for it. Luka has not won anything. So lets reserve the generational tag for now. His playoff showing thus far just reinforces the media's vote against him. He has to win something to prove them wrong. This coming from a kid who says "scoring in the NBA is easier". Well, show us then. Easy.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,718

Post#184 » by Bob8 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:03 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
It's ok, you don't get it. Lets move on and lets just stay out of this conversation.

Yes, I don't get that fat athlete with bad conditioning can have generational RS. I'm 100% sure that's not possible.

RS doesn't mean anything at this point. Rudy Gobert also won DPOY for RS 4 times. Doesn't mean anything now. Luka is even below Gobert by that standard as generational or not, he hasn't won any award. Much less 4x. Best Luka could target is a trajectory similar to Russell Westbrook who won the MVP in 2016 if memory serves me right. Westbrook and Luka are very similar. Triple double stats look impressive in RS but barely makes an impact when it matters. Westbrook has hardware to show for it. Luka has not won anything. So lets reserve the generational tag for now. His playoff showing thus far just reinforces the media's vote against him. He has to win something to prove them wrong. This coming from a kid who says "scoring in the NBA is easier". Well, show us then. Easy.

It looks to me that it's pretty difficult to score in Nba for Luka at the moment. ;) I just don't believe that him being fat is the problem.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,619

Post#185 » by Maverick41 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:24 pm

I think the weight argument is pretty darn obvious and it doesn't take a genius to ascertain that Luka can be better and likely be healthier throughout a whole grueling season if he got in better shape and actually stayed consistent with it.

Right now in this series though, he's not gonna magically lose 10-15 lbs and all of a sudden be in tremendous shape. What he can do currently is 1) make his free throws, 2) stop wincing or holding your knees or whatever throughout the game and especially in key moments. it's a sign of weakness. I'm sure he's hurting quite a bit but you're the leader that everyone is looking at to believe. Fake it if you have to. and 3) Stop complaining so much. You're not gonna get your RS calls anymore, period. SGA actually didn't get all the calls he normally he does in G4 and yet I don't see him tearing a refs head off every possession.

I still believe in the guy because of his immense talent but I don't disagree with some of the posters here that he's getting (or is) annoying. He really needs to grow up.
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 131

Post#186 » by joesha1698 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:14 am

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

It looks to me that it's pretty difficult to score in Nba for Luka at the moment. ;) I just don't believe that him being fat is the problem.

Exactly. Remember, Luka was pretty much bragging about how easy the NBA is compared to Euro basketball. I think the higher ups are listening and the 2nd half of the season they went back to allowing physical basketball. You have to be in great shape to endure more of the physicality and you have to embrace it. You can't complain now when earlier you were bragging about how easy it was to score in the NBA.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 839

Post#187 » by Darren » Wed May 15, 2024 12:25 am

To be fair, Luka is way more athletic than last season. I don't think there's a lack of discipline on athletical training. Indeed, Luka makes the case being great defender in some playoff games.

It's more emotional stuff. OKC pressures Luka enough at some point and Luka wants to give in and bet on luck. Give OKC credit. Forget those stuff and prepare for the next game.

OKC may laugh if fans distract Luka for eliminating game. Losing is hard. But don't lose the composure. Take it a game at a time. Make sure that the urgency is there. It's like 0-3 in a series now. Forget the past. Stay in the moment. Anyone can make mistakes. Step up and bounce back strong.

SGA is doing the same - no matter what kind of defense is on you, just will your way to success. It's not about your opponents. It's about what you truly want. If you want to go home and enjoy your vacation, you can. If you want to win, ignore all the defense. Just make the shots no matter what.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#188 » by arkuo » Wed May 15, 2024 12:32 am

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Nah. Weight issues aside, Luka just plays a singular way like James Harden. So when his shots arent falling, then the team's chances of winning go down. The investment ROI with Luka comes with regular season wins and youtube highlights for your brand. You need some other star to cover for him in the playoffs. Similar to Gobert whose won the award 4 times now. Luka hasn't won a single one despite all the halfcourt shots he makes pre game. The issues surrounding him will continue to hound him until he wins something. And this is due to him talking "smack". If he's as quiet as Dirk then no one will mind. But once you run your mouth like that, you're expected to back it up. And every time he falls short of that.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#189 » by arkuo » Wed May 15, 2024 12:38 am

Darren wrote:To be fair, Luka is way more athletic than last season. I don't think there's a lack of discipline on athletical training. Indeed, Luka makes the case being great defender in some playoff games.

It's more emotional stuff. OKC pressures Luka enough at some point and Luka wants to give in and bet on luck. Give OKC credit. Forget those stuff and prepare for the next game.

OKC may laugh if fans distract Luka for eliminating game. Losing is hard. But don't lose the composure. Take it a game at a time. Make sure that the urgency is there. It's like 0-3 in a series now. Forget the past. Stay in the moment. Anyone can make mistakes. Step up and bounce back strong.

SGA is doing the same - no matter what kind of defense is on you, just will your way to success. It's not about your opponents. It's about what you truly want. If you want to go home and enjoy your vacation, you can. If you want to win, ignore all the defense. Just make the shots no matter what.

For Luka, the backlash he's enduring is he talks more smack than Devin Booker but has the same number of rings as Booker. Anytime you run your mouth like that, you're expected to back it up. It's a different track for say, Nikola Jokic who looks disinterested to play basketball but won the MVP 3 times now. Luka has the same amount of hardware as Trae Young but talks a big game. There lies the difference. We have yet to see a Luka game in the playoffs and it's already the 2nd round now. He has a lot of catching up to do for all the "MVP talk".
Darren
RealGM
And1: 839

Post#190 » by Darren » Wed May 15, 2024 1:00 am

Against this level of competition, less athletic players have tough time. Dirk has been called out and labeled as soft at one point. Stay strong mentally no matter how many free throws missed, Kyrie not being effective and is in foul trouble. In an elimination game like that if you have to score a 100 and shut down MJ to win, do it. No opponent will be kind to you in the playoff. If you mentally gave it, the ball might not roll into the basket. Actually, all players are experiencing the same. Whether or not you give in is a matter of choice. Step back and bet on miracles will not work. Learn a lesson, let the failure be a part of you and take them as energy and regroup. If the leader gives in, what are the rest of the team fighting for?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#191 » by Bob8 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:25 am

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Nah. Weight issues aside, Luka just plays a singular way like James Harden. So when his shots arent falling, then the team's chances of winning go down. The investment ROI with Luka comes with regular season wins and youtube highlights for your brand. You need some other star to cover for him in the playoffs. Similar to Gobert whose won the award 4 times now. Luka hasn't won a single one despite all the halfcourt shots he makes pre game. The issues surrounding him will continue to hound him until he wins something. And this is due to him talking "smack". If he's as quiet as Dirk then no one will mind. But once you run your mouth like that, you're expected to back it up. And every time he falls short of that.

What exactly do you want from me?

Can you name a 25 years old leader of the team, who has won something being 25 years old?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#192 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:53 am

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,115

Post#193 » by daoneandonly » Wed May 15, 2024 11:40 am

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Can you name a 25 years old leader of the team, who has won something being 25 years old?

Wasnt there so much talk about Luka becoming a pro at 13? So he's not like most 25 year olds, he has 12 years experience and should be much more poised, disciplined, and mature. He's not, I mean he's a father now and he is still pretty much a child himself in many aspects
Bob8
General Manager

Post#194 » by Bob8 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:51 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Wasnt there so much talk about Luka becoming a pro at 13? So he's not like most 25 year olds, he has 12 years experience and should be much more poised, disciplined, and mature. He's not, I mean he's a father now and he is still pretty much a child himself in many aspects

If I tell you that I was a pro with 10 years, what would you think? That I'm better talent than Doncic? :D

Look, in Europe kids are not playing in school teams and school competitions but in clubs, from early years on. Every club has multiple youth teams. The only difference with Luka was that he went from club in Ljubljana to club in Madrid with 13 years. He was still going in school like other kids and wasn't paid as pro. He started to play for senior Real Madrid team with 16 years and he signed his first true pro contract with 18 years.

I'm pretty sure that you can't be one of the best in the world in anything, if you're not poised and disciplined.
hagredionis
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#195 » by hagredionis » Wed May 15, 2024 12:24 pm

A lot of bad takes in this thread. Luka is averaging 26.7 ppg / 8.8 apg / 9.6 rpg / 1.5 spg in this playoffs. He's also 5th in total points scored, 3rd in total assists, 4th in total rebounds and 3rd in total steals. Which means he has to do a lot while still carrying an injury.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,115

Post#196 » by daoneandonly » Wed May 15, 2024 12:33 pm

No one is denying how great of a player Luka is, we all know that. We wouldnt be even watching the Mavs in the playoffs if not for him, we'd be moving down in the lottery as always.

But he doesnt come without some major fault. He doesnt take care of his body the way a superstar athlete should, hence how he always ahs these nagging injuries and somehow got hurt with 10 days off before the playoffs started. He continuously complain to the refs rather than go back and play D, and he chucks up shots and does unnecessary over the head non look passes (or something else wild) rather than just make a good pass to get his teammate in position.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#197 » by arkuo » Wed May 15, 2024 12:54 pm

hagredionis wrote:A lot of bad takes in this thread. Luka is averaging 26.7 ppg / 8.8 apg / 9.6 rpg / 1.5 spg in this playoffs. He's also 5th in total points scored, 3rd in total assists, 4th in total rebounds and 3rd in total steals. Which means he has to do a lot while still carrying an injury.

Westbrook averaged a triple double for 2 or 3 seasons straight. He's the first example you pull up to say that stats don't matter if you can't win. It would just make for some nice youtube highlights.

Luka wont be able to change people's opinions of him overnight the same way he cant stop getting 15 technical fouls every year after saying he needs to do better the year prior. It will stay that way until he wins something. And as of right last night, he has the same number of rings as Booker and Trae Young. He just talks more.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#198 » by Bob8 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:56 pm

hagredionis wrote:A lot of bad takes in this thread. Luka is averaging 26.7 ppg / 8.8 apg / 9.6 rpg / 1.5 spg in this playoffs. He's also 5th in total points scored, 3rd in total assists, 4th in total rebounds and 3rd in total steals. Which means he has to do a lot while still carrying an injury.

Exactly, that's why Mavs have won his minutes in 9/10 games.
hagredionis
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#199 » by hagredionis » Wed May 15, 2024 1:22 pm

arkuo wrote:

Westbrook averaged a triple double for 2 or 3 seasons straight. He's the first example you pull up to say that stats don't matter if you can't win. It would just make for some nice youtube highlights.

Luka wont be able to change people's opinions of him overnight the same way he cant stop getting 15 technical fouls every year after saying he needs to do better the year prior. It will stay that way until he wins something. And as of right last night, he has the same number of rings as Booker and Trae Young. He just talks more.

Luka is like Booker or Trae? Really? I'm always puzzled when people write stuff like that. Luka is 5x times 1st team NBA at the age of 25. He has also won the scoring title this season. Yeah he has not won a ring yet but how many rings has the GOAT MJ won at his age?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#200 » by arkuo » Wed May 15, 2024 2:22 pm

hagredionis wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Luka is like Booker or Trae? Really? I'm always puzzled when people write stuff like that. Luka is 5x times 1st team NBA at the age of 25. He has also won the scoring title this season. Yeah he has not won a ring yet but how many rings has the GOAT MJ won at his age?

So if we go by that metric, then Russell Westbrook is far better than Luka with 1 MVP award and 2 seasons averaging a triple double.

And please, let's pump the brakes on Luka - MJ comparisons for now. Luka has yet to show up in this playoffs. Kyrie was the reason they won the first round. Luka vs MJ? Please. Let's talk about that when we actually have a good Luka game in this playoffs. In this playoffs alone, Jalen Brunson > Luka Doncic. Let's not get into that MJ conversation yet. That will be laughable.

Return to Dallas Mavericks