ImageImageImage

2024 Dallas Mavericks Draft Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,333

2024 Dallas Mavericks Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by BeiBeau » Thu May 16, 2024 4:08 am

I started looking at prospects that I like for Dallas this week so I figured I’d start the draft thread.

NBA Draft 1st Round is June 26th, 2024
NBA Draft 2nd Round is June 27th, 2024

Dallas has the last pick(No. 58) of the draft.

This draft is weak on star talent but there are role players that can be found.
BeiBeau
Starter

Re: 2024 Dallas Mavericks Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by BeiBeau » Thu May 16, 2024 4:44 am

Prospects I picked out this week are,

Ryan Dunn: SF, 6’8”, 215lbs, Virginia
Draft range: Late 1st to mid 2nd
Pros: The best defender in the entire class, plays like a taller Matisse Thybulle defensively(like to defend from the side), great help defender at the rim, fantastic rebounder, averages 4.7 stocks per game, good finisher around the rim, good cutter. Is not hypothetically a good defender because of size and athleticism which is often a archetype in the draft, Dunn is already an elite defender.

Cons: Absolutely atrocious shooter, Michael Kidd Gilchrist level shooter, mechanics look fine, but he just does not hit his 3s. FT shooting is also terrible which doesn’t indicate that he just needs more reps he’s going to need coaching. May not be able to see the floor if he can’t contribute. If he gets his 3pt shooting and ft shooting to slightly below league average he could be Herb Jones or Jaden McDaniels. But right now he looks like Jared Vanderbilt with worse offense. Will almost be 22 before he plays in the NBA.

Dallas would need to trade up to get him.

Antonio Reeves: SG, 6’6”, 190, Kentucky
Draft Range: Mid - Late 2nd
Pros: A Kentucky guard? Can it get any safer? Fantastic shooter, good mechanics, fast and smooth release. Amazing at catch and shoot. 45% from the college line and 40% when you track the NBA 3pt line. 86% free through shooter. Good finisher around the basket with a solid handle. Averaged 20 points in 31 minutes last season. Not an erratic player.

Cons: Average to poor defender, average passer. Smooth but not explosive. Small frame and pretty light. Will be almost 24 before he plays a NBA game. Some overlap with Jaden Hardy but Hardy is not good enough to warrant Dallas not bring in competition.

If Dallas is going to use THJ expiring for a upgrade this offseason the Reeves is a good idea.

I’m going to finish looking into Pelle Larson and Jalen Bridges next week.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,199

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Fri May 17, 2024 3:47 am

This draft is far from weak.
It's said year after year is and if you know the prospects you will realize how good this draft is.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Fri May 17, 2024 3:53 am

It's going to be difficult for us to get in the first round but I like to see which teams have multiple picks in both rounds. The Knicks have two first round picks, so if they're not interested in paying both guaranteed contracts, then maybe we agree on a trade. Otherwise, I hope we move up in the second for value, but I prefer us to respect our future draft picks more going forward.

dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,352

Post#5 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 pm

HMFFL wrote:This draft is far from weak.
It's said year after year is and if you know the prospects you will realize how good this draft is.

I am no expert at all, but Zach Edey did not bother to enter last year's draft because he would be drafted so low. Now many mocks got him in the first round. What people are saying is that the draft is so weak and that is why he is in the first round.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#6 » by BeiBeau » Fri May 17, 2024 3:14 pm

I think it’s weak on star talent. I think the lottery is full of 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th options. But I have several players in the second round that I think could be playoff rotation pieces in the right situations and if they hit on the right skills.

Lots of 21-24 year olds in the back of the 2nd who can absolutely help a team that wants to win.

I’d like to see Dallas package #58 and cash to jump up into the 40s so they can have some options.

So far the players I like are, Pelle Larson, Marcus Sears, Ryan Dunn, Antonio Reeves, Cam Spencer, Jalen Bridges, and Hunter Sallis

Dallas has incredible defense around Luka and Kyrie. You could add on to that with Bridges, Sallis, or Dunn, give them a tertiary offensive creator with Sears or Larson, or add a less erratic THJ replacement who is going to shot 42% from 3 with Spencer or Reeves.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,213

Post#7 » by Mavrelous » Fri May 17, 2024 3:18 pm

I'd just draft overseas player and stash him, there are no roster spots, and if you like someone at #58, wait till he's undrafted and give him a 2-way...
Any interesting international prospects?
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#8 » by BeiBeau » Fri May 17, 2024 5:16 pm

Mavrelous wrote:I'd just draft overseas player and stash him, there are no roster spots, and if you like someone at #58, wait till he's undrafted and give him a 2-way...
Any interesting international prospects?

Juan Nunez and Mantas Rubstavicius are the best of the internationals in the late 2nd but I would rank both of them WELL below the players I just listed.

THJ is likely to get salary dumped and Markieff is a fine bench personality but Dallas should be trying to get better on the court.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 868

Post#9 » by Teffer10 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:19 pm

Obviously you take BPA at 58, but I could see them taking an older player who might be able to contribute soon.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#10 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 17, 2024 6:00 pm

We taken Bronny, but saying no to Lebron.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,334

Post#11 » by Archx » Fri May 17, 2024 6:54 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:We taken Bronny, but saying no to Lebron.

Or... Draft Bronny, sign Lebron and then trade Bronny :D Ultimate troll job.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#12 » by BeiBeau » Fri May 17, 2024 8:50 pm

Teffer10 wrote:Obviously you take BPA at 58, but I could see them taking an older player who might be able to contribute soon.

Yeah that’s kind of my point. I think there are quite a few players who can play next year.

Look at what Isaiah Joe and Aaron Wiggins are doing for OKC. We should look for that.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by HMFFL » Fri May 17, 2024 9:32 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

I am no expert at all, but Zach Edey did not bother to enter last year's draft because he would be drafted so low. Now many mocks got him in the first round. What people are saying is that the draft is so weak and that is why he is in the first round.
Zach shouldn't be your gusge if it's a good draft or not anyways. He's 22 years old and won't be the first or second big man selected. He wanted another go at the championship and he improved his value greatly.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Fri May 17, 2024 9:35 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Obviously you take BPA at 58, but I could see them taking an older player who might be able to contribute soon.

Yeah that’s kind of my point. I think there are quite a few players who can play next year.

Look at what Isaiah Joe and Aaron Wiggins are doing for OKC. We should look for that.
This is how I feel too.
We can find talent

BeiBeau
Starter

Post#15 » by BeiBeau » Fri May 17, 2024 10:20 pm

HMFFL wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

This is how I feel too.
We can find talent

Our best shooters not named Kyrie or Luka statistically are Josh Green and Dante Exum. THJ can obviously get hot but still.

Dallas doesn’t live by the 3 die by the 3 anymore cause we play defense now. But the pendulum has swung the other way and it would be nice to get Luka and Kyrie a 42% 3pt shooter who is more consistent then Green or Exum for 10-15 minutes a night it would open up more offense.

Right now OKC is doubling, tripling, and even quadrupling Kyrie because they just don’t respect Josh Green, PJ Washington, and DJJ enough. Cam Spencer or Anontio Reeves would get more respect in the corner.
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,352

Post#16 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Fri May 17, 2024 10:23 pm

HMFFL wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

Zach shouldn't be your gusge if it's a good draft or not anyways. He's 22 years old and won't be the first or second big man selected. He wanted another go at the championship and he improved his value greatly.

He would not have stayed in college if he knew he was a potential first-round pick. We are talking about potentially earning 5 million dollars. Everybody is saying this draft is weak and Zach being a potential first-rounder proves that. What are your arguments for this being a strong draft, ignoring what I said about Zach?
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#17 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 18, 2024 5:00 am

Cam Spencer is pretty enticing.

SG, 6’4”, 205 lbs, 6’5” wingspan, UCONN

Pros: People are going to talk about Spencer’s shooting, and they should he was one of the best in the country. But he is also very good at finding and punishing the soft spot in the defense. Awesome off ball shooter, good at shooting off of pin downs, off screens, and spotting up, similar to Kevin Huerter and Duncan Robinson. Better defender then his stature, wingspan, and athletic profile would suggest. Not great but not bad by any means. Makes the right pass consistently, good assist to turnover ratio. Engaged on both ends at consistently.

Cons: Very low ceiling. Most likely to never be more than a situational at best starter in the NBA, will be a career backup. Not a top tier athlete, undersized for the 2 guard but doesn’t have lead guard skills. Is better as a secondary creator. 24 years old already.

Ceiling: Grayson Allen/Norman Powell
Floor: He gets out classed by NBA level athleticism and gets bounced. But he played at **** UCONN so it’s not like he wasn’t playing the highest level of amateur basketball.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 868

Post#18 » by Teffer10 » Sat May 18, 2024 8:00 am

Comparing this team with our only championship team:
Luka - Dirk
Kyrie - Terry
PJ - Marion
Gafford - TC
DJJ - Stevenson
Exum - Kidd
THJ - Peja
Green - Brewer
Lively - Haywood
Powell - Mihinmi
Morris - Cardinal
Hardy - Roddy B
Lawson - Dante Jones
Maxi - Butler (out for POs)

Obviously better in some areas and weaker in others, but overall it looks like we are vastly missing an important piece of the puzzle that Barea filled back then.

Maybe we should be looking for that guy and Jamal Shead might just be him.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896

Post#19 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat May 18, 2024 9:12 am

Teffer10 wrote:Comparing this team with our only championship team:
Luka - Dirk
Kyrie - Terry
PJ - Marion
Gafford - TC
DJJ - Stevenson
Exum - Kidd
THJ - Peja
Green - Brewer
Lively - Haywood
Powell - Mihinmi
Morris - Cardinal
Hardy - Roddy B
Lawson - Dante Jones

Obviously better in some areas and weaker in others, but overall it looks like we are vastly missing an important piece of the puzzle that Barea filled back then.

Please no. NO!!!

Last time someone wrote this kind of post the things went bad. Really bad. Stop. Please.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#20 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 18, 2024 3:08 pm

Teffer10 wrote:Comparing this team with our only championship team:
Luka - Dirk
Kyrie - Terry
PJ - Marion
Gafford - TC
DJJ - Stevenson
Exum - Kidd
THJ - Peja
Green - Brewer
Lively - Haywood
Powell - Mihinmi
Morris - Cardinal
Hardy - Roddy B
Lawson - Dante Jones

This is a really terrible method for team construction. But Jamal Snead is Patrick Beverly not JJ Barea.

Return to Dallas Mavericks