ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G5 - Mavs @ Thunder (Wed., 9:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,734

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G5 - Mavs @ Thunder (Wed., 9:30PMEST) 

Post#161 » by Bob8 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:34 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
You can talk about Luka being fat, cry-baby, bad conditioned, what should he do in the summer...after playoffs. I won't be here anyway.

He can and should criticize what he sees, of Luka's shape/demeanor/performance is detrimental to the team, then he should be called out, this isn't an exclusively team praising board, it's a discussion board, and everyone is free to pitch in.

I agree totally, I just wrote it badly in this last post. You were very quickly to intervene though. ;) He telling me about trolling and teaching me how Dirk has warned me is ok, I guess.

Btw. you're on fat Luka bandwagon too, what are thoughts about last game and Mavs being 3:2 up?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#162 » by Bob8 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 am

Archx wrote:Mavrelous posted it first don't blame me :lol:

Read on Twitter

Be in the company with the best basketball player on the planet is always good. I kinda doubt Denver fans are losing energy about fat Jokic though.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,213

Post#163 » by Mavrelous » Thu May 16, 2024 10:48 am

Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
You can talk about Luka being fat, cry-baby, bad conditioned, what should he do in the summer...after playoffs. I won't be here anyway.

He can and should criticize what he sees, of Luka's shape/demeanor/performance is detrimental to the team, then he should be called out, this isn't an exclusively team praising board, it's a discussion board, and everyone is free to pitch in.

I agree totally, I just wrote it badly in this last post. You were very quickly to intervene though. ;) He telling me about trolling and teaching me how Dirk has warned me is ok, I guess.

I have very similar build to Luka, "quick" is an accusation I very rarely get :wink:
We're pretty much hands off on moderating this board, just don't insult others and don't try to tell them what to do, I don't think ArchX went over the line.

It's a board designated specifically to discuss the Dallas Mavericks, Luka Doncic is the franchise player and the team had a meltdown in large part because of his play in the last minutes, expecting people to not discuss what lead to it isn't reasonable, IMO at least.

FWIW, I don't think Luka's weight is a problem, I do think the perception the team has of him as a PG is a problem, and they should think of him as a PF version of Jokic who can be leaned on more to initiate offense, but this is a story for the off season like you said.

I do think Luka should tone down complaining by a lot, should read the room much better WRT calls and refereeing, and should work on his body language when he's being looked up to as the leader of team talent wise, and these things aren't equivalent to losing 10KGs or transforming his role in a PO series, these things that can and should be done by a professional athlete who strives to be the best in his field, he somehow was able to complain less and focus on BB more this game without waiting for the off season to improve, and it resulted in a great game, and go to the GB and see how everyone was raving about him.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#164 » by MassimoPayne » Thu May 16, 2024 10:52 am

I just hope Luka realizes what he can achieve despite the injuries when he stops complaining
Bob8
General Manager

Post#165 » by Bob8 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:08 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

I have very similar build to Luka, "quick" is an accusation I very rarely get :wink:
We're pretty much hands off on moderating this board, just don't insult others and don't try to tell them what to do, I don't think ArchX went over the line.

It's a board designated specifically to discuss the Dallas Mavericks, Luka Doncic is the franchise player and the team had a meltdown in large part because of his play in the last minutes, expecting people to not discuss what lead to it isn't reasonable, IMO at least.

FWIW, I don't think Luka's weight is a problem, I do think the perception the team has of him as a PG is a problem, and they should think of him as a PF version of Jokic who can be leaned on more to initiate offense, but this is a story for the off season like you said.

I do think Luka should tone down complaining by a lot, should read the room much better WRT calls and refereeing, and should work on his body language when he's being looked up to as the leader of team talent wise, and these things aren't equivalent to losing 10KGs or transforming his role in a PO series, these things that can and should be done by a professional athlete who strives to be the best in his field, he somehow was able to complain less and focus on BB more this game without waiting for the off season to improve, and it resulted in a great game, and go to the GB and see how everyone was raving about him.

It was quick. ;)

Imho this board extremely overreacts every loss, on the other hand reaction after wins is very subdued.

If you want to change his role, you should first find some first pass Pg, which with Mavs cap space is not happening. You can't give Pg role to Kyrie, who's struggling mightily in this series, because of the length of Okc. And we could see in this playoffs that Mavs haven't anyone else capable of playmaking. But you can lower Luka's minutes and his usage, if team can play better without him in RS.

I don't believe that temperament can be changed easily, Luka is what he's in good and bad. There can be minor improvements about complaining but he won't suddenly become someone else.

I don't agree that not complaining was a game changer last night, hitting shots was. Luka starts complaining, when things are not going his way. Being unable to hit anything in multiple games is not exactly favourable for good psychological condition. That's why those step backs are so important for him. They gave him calm and believe.

I understand GB switching attitude towards a player daily, but can't understand how that happens on home board. We have fantastic playoffs, but we mostly hear only what should be better and witnessing total meltdowns after every loss. I'm 100% sure that before the series began everyone would sign for 3:2 lead after game 5.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,213

Post#166 » by Mavrelous » Thu May 16, 2024 11:28 am

Bob8 wrote:I don't agree that not complaining was a game changer last nighy, hitting shots was. Luka starts complaining, when things are not going his way. Being unable to hit anything in multiple games is not exactly favourable for good psychological condition. That's why those step backs are so important for him. They gave him calm and believe.

I understand GB switching attitude towards a player daily, but can't understand how that happens on home board. We have fantastic playoffs, but we mostly hear only what should be better and witnessing total meltdowns after every loss.

Demeanor matters, a lot, people can have strong emotions but they should control them and try to channel them.
GB and the viewers in general don't watch him every game, they watch primetime games and PO games, if Luka behaves like this in most games he would have much more popularity with the fans and much much more importantly, with the refs.
Luka wasn't this much of a complainer, he really exploded in this regard the last 2 years.
Whether the board criticizes him too much or too little, I think almost everyone here wants him to succeed both on team level and individual level, I doubt anyone who hates him spends time on this board.
I agree on the PG BTW, Mavs should get a PG, a legit starting PG who can start next to Luka when Kyrie is injured and back him up enough that he can get 15 minutes of rest, and not 5, I though Exum was that, but he flopped in the PO.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager

Post#167 » by Bob8 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:38 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:I don't agree that not complaining was a game changer last nighy, hitting shots was. Luka starts complaining, when things are not going his way. Being unable to hit anything in multiple games is not exactly favourable for good psychological condition. That's why those step backs are so important for him. They gave him calm and believe.

I understand GB switching attitude towards a player daily, but can't understand how that happens on home board. We have fantastic playoffs, but we mostly hear only what should be better and witnessing total meltdowns after every loss.

Demeanor matters, a lot, people can have strong emotions but they should control them and try to channel them.
GB and the viewers in general don't watch him every game, they watch primetime games and PO games, if Luka behaves like this in most games he would have much more popularity with the fans and much much more importantly, with the refs.
Luka wasn't this much of a complainer, he really exploded in this regard the last 2 years.
Whether the board criticizes him too much or too little, I think almost everyone here wants him to succeed both on team level and individual level, I doubt anyone who hates him spends time on this board.
I agree on the PG BTW, Mavs should get a PG, a legit starting PG who can start next to Luka when Kyrie is injured and back him up enough that he can get 15 minutes of rest, and not 5, I though Exum was that, but he flopped in the PO.

It's about personality. Kawhi is total opposite to Luka and then you have many players in between. Luka would simply need more strong coach and a roster, who could survive without him playing. In Europe even the biggest stars are benched, if they are off, nervous...But teams have a system, meaning they can still run plays without a star. Mavs system is Luka, which is great when Luka is good, but nobody can be always 100% and then problems start for Luka and Mavs. He should be benched but he just can't be, because a team can't play without him for more than few minutes. So frustrations just build and build.

Yes good Pg would be huge, but no way we can get one.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 842

Post#168 » by Darren » Thu May 16, 2024 11:41 am

This game is pretty rough for both teams. Some of the players on court look sleepwalking. It is more like a regular season or preseason game than a playoff game. Maybe it is normal for rookie playoff games. Lazy passes. Clear less handles. Biting on fakes. Maybe young players get sleepless before big games.

I think the major difference is the pace which is too comfortable to Luka. Luka can see and decide what to do. Those long passes and backdoor cuts are masterful. I think OKC coach makes a fatal mistake to ask players to avoid committing fouls. Luka can see and react rather easily.

One thing I think the Mavs has been doing better - contesting jump shots. Using the elbow and fingers actually significantly lower shooting percentage.

Besides unforced turnovers and offensive rebounds given, the Mavs has to look at the replay to fix the shooting mechanic issues. How comes you are shooting takeaway or jumping laterally for wide-open threes. You won't even do it in practice, right? The way to handle the pass, get the ball up, raise the hands and so on are problematic.

I like the way DJJ and Lively play defensively. Both have make some adjustments to their defense. Hardy plays better defense and makes good playmaking decisions early but not as good being subbed in next time. At this pace, Hardy has a chance to take minutes away from Green and Hardaway. Keep on.

A win is a win. But fix those simple mistakes until it is too late.
walaysapi
Freshman
And1: 78

Post#169 » by walaysapi » Thu May 16, 2024 11:53 am

"Shai’s stats when guarded by Luka Doncic this series (per NBA.com)

42 possessions
29.3% from the field
27.5% from three
3 turnovers"

Take it with a grain of salt
Shut it down! Let's go home!!!
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#170 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 16, 2024 12:23 pm

Great win, this is more of the Luka we need. The constant bickering with the refs does take a toll on the team.

Hopefully we can pull out the W for Game 6 as it would give the team some much needed rest. Hoping Kyrie can be Kyrie that game as he hasnt quite been himself. One of Green, THJ, and Exum need to step up as well; theyre not really bringing anything to the table.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#171 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 16, 2024 1:15 pm

Mavrelous wrote:

Agree with Khalil, attitude and demeanor are huge for leaders especially. Its something Luka does need to work on to be the best he can be.

And also agree on needing a PG since Exum pulled a disappearing act like we've seen in his previous NBA stint. I still say go with a version of Khalil's proposal, but since its me, I'll slightly tweak it

Trade Josh Green to Utah for the 31st pick - will Utah really draft 3 guys in this draft?
Use that cap savings to split money between DJJ and Naji Marshall, have them battle it out in the preseason for the starting sf spot
Draft Tyler Kolek at 31, older PG who can be a game manager type player.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,335

Post#172 » by Archx » Thu May 16, 2024 1:39 pm

Finally had the time to watch the game. Man... SGA whistle is f*cking incredible. On offense he's just pushing defenders away with his arm and elbow and on defense you better watch out if you come too close to him. And then you have Dort who's just bullying and holding guys like it's nothing. No wonder SGA drives so much and scores 30 pts if he's allowed all of that. Freaking manufactured "star".

I also noticed Kidd prefers to play Lively with Luka now. It works well, Lively is incredible on both sides, just needs more experience and stronger body. (We are allowed to talk about Lively's fitness levels, or is someone gonna get mad? :D )
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#173 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 16, 2024 1:55 pm

Archx wrote:Finally had the time to watch the game. Man... SGA whistle is f*cking incredible. On offense he's just pushing defenders away with his arm and elbow and on defense you better watch out if you come too close to him. And then you have Dort who's just bullying and holding guys like it's nothing. No wonder SGA drives so much and scores 30 pts if he's allowed all of that. Freaking manufactured "star".

I also noticed Kidd prefers to play Lively with Luka now. It works well, Lively is incredible on both sides, just needs more experience and stronger body. (We are allowed to talk about Lively's fitness levels, or is someone gonna get mad? :D )

Ha yea, its a good problem to have, but i think Lively should be the starter to open next season
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#174 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 2:31 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:Finally had the time to watch the game. Man... SGA whistle is f*cking incredible. On offense he's just pushing defenders away with his arm and elbow and on defense you better watch out if you come too close to him. And then you have Dort who's just bullying and holding guys like it's nothing. No wonder SGA drives so much and scores 30 pts if he's allowed all of that. Freaking manufactured "star".

Ha yea, its a good problem to have, but i think Lively should be the starter to open next season

I don't think it really matters that much who starts. Mainly what matters is who closes which may change depending on the opponent.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,033

Post#175 » by Dirk » Thu May 16, 2024 2:39 pm

Peak SGA

Peak THJr

Lazy Luka
Spoiler:

Luka asks for foul here

This is a type of play that has happened a few times this series. Feels like Luka "beats" Dort or at least has him behind him... but then he waits and feels like more often than not ends up with the defender "he beat"... defending him again/tough shot.

I wonder if he can't simply be more aggressive and attack. We know this is a type of move he does a lot... but just has been off in the playoffs this year so far.

Luka D

Derrick Jones Jr is just nuts

Ethical baskets.

Foul stuff :noway:

The usual. Multiple "push offs". Flops.

Then the hilarity of when Mavs grabbed 18 point lead... crazy things happened... a phantom 3 seconds, illegal screens, etc. In 3 out 4 games, the mavs had the refs break their rythmn with BS stuff.

Spoiler:

The Thunder have been a massive disappointment in some ways. They were supposedly a great 3 point shooting team... but outside that sustained run in the end of G1, they really have been iffy. They ended up lucking out in G4 with those two guys making critical 3s, but overall... guess the Mavs have just "lucked" that they're not shooting as maybe it'd be expected.

Series should be over by now if not for "some stuff".
60/21/10
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#176 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 2:41 pm

I've lost some respect for SGA this series. I mean he's great at everything, he doesn't need to use elbows and flops and get cheap fouls. But it's almost like, if the refs are going to be dumb enough to reward him for it, why wouldn't he.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#177 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 4:29 pm

This is crazy plus the block Luka had on him in the last minute.

Read on Twitter
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#178 » by Dirk » Thu May 16, 2024 6:05 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:This is crazy plus the block Luka had on him in the last minute.

Read on Twitter

42? Sounds like a lot. That is like 8 a game.

It may be true... but my instinct is that they haven't matched up that many times. I'd be curious to see the data source.
60/21/10
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 6:06 pm

Dirk wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:This is crazy plus the block Luka had on him in the last minute.

Read on Twitter

It may be true... but my instinct is that they haven't matched up that many times. I'd be curious to see the data source.

I was told it was wrong in the general board thread and someone posted great stats for SGA, although they didn't provide a source either. Mine is probably wrong though. I didn't deceive I was just mislead.

If I knew the sites to get the actual stats like this that'd be cool. But they seem to be a secret.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#180 » by Dirk » Thu May 16, 2024 6:16 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Read on Twitter

I was told it was wrong in the general board thread and someone posted great stats for SGA, although they didn't provide a source either. Mine is probably wrong though. I didn't deceive I was just mislead.

If I knew the sites to get the actual stats like this that'd be cool. But they seem to be a secret.

I found the nba.com data and I am afraid the Thunder guy may be right this time. At least based off that.

Maybe that tweet guy is using some other website that does things differently.

In better news, DJJR has played 142.5 possessions and SGA shot 33.3%.
60/21/10

Return to Dallas Mavericks