ImageImageImage

Mavs coaching discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,121

Re: Mavs coaching discussion 

Post#101 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 5:44 pm

I'm going to give in and give it up to Kidd and not complain about him being the Mavs coach unless he does something really terrible, I'm giving him a clean slate. The team seems to like him and they're winning and playing hard nose defense. He's not perfect, but he's probably the right coach for the roster we have right now.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,879

Post#102 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:00 am

Mr B wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Mr B wrote:If they win a ring and under Kidd does it matter what people think of coaching prowess?

Mr. B, i like a lot your optimism... Just like when you compared our roster in 2021 or 2022 to our championship roster. Funny.
Unfortunately you rarely have right.

We need the better coaching staff in the world to win a ring under Jason Kidd.
For example Kokoskov, Stotts and Casey.

Jason Kidd is not my coach.

Clearly he’s not your coach because you don’t play for the team. He IS Luka and Kyrie’s coach though and that’s really because they both want him there. What kind of sense does it make to piss if your two best players. Their best bet would be to upgrade the coaches around Kidd. Prior to Frank Vogel signing on to be the Suns HC the Mavs were trying to add him to the being staff. I would not be surprised if they actually do it this time.

Great argument, so they can hire Luka best friend and Kyrie spiritual pastor and it's the same situation.

How he reacted to OKC second half last night was absolutely inexplicable or maybe yes. He was still here, watching the game with his hands in his pockets.

Great work.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,646

Post#103 » by dygaction » Wed May 22, 2024 6:51 pm

Rick Carlisle had a tough loss yesterday. Questionable decisions at the end of game, especially not using a timeout to impound the ball or calm the young team down to reduce the turnovers.

Do you still consider him a better coach than Kidd? Yes, Pacers were not expected to reach ECF but they played Giannis/Lillard less Bucks and then Rundle/OG/Robinson less NYK.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,121

Post#104 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 22, 2024 7:03 pm

dygaction wrote:Rick Carlisle had a tough loss yesterday. Questionable decisions at the end of game, especially not using a timeout to impound the ball or calm the young team down to reduce the turnovers.

Do you still consider him a better coach than Kidd? Yes, Pacers were not expected to reach ECF but they played Giannis/Lillard less Bucks and then Rundle/OG/Robinson less NYK.

It's tough to say. By the time he left I was sort of relieved he was gone, but to be fair he didn't have a lot of great teams since the championship. I was really hard on Kidd but I'm starting to change my mind we're in the WCF for the 2nd time he's the first Mavs coach to ever do that. Also I don't think Luka and Carlisle got along (although I do not believe that is why Carlisle left, he left because his friend since childhood Donnie Nelson had gotten fired) Kidd seems to be getting along with the entire roster and they're playing great defense so I can't really complain about Kidd being here anymore. He does however make boneheaded mistakes sometimes but as you mentioned so does Carlisle.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu May 23, 2024 5:31 am

Carlisle is clearly a better coach than Kidd but he clashed with Luka so his time here was over.

However he always made those mistakes.
I'm not surprise at all... Unfortunately for him Haliburton is just a very good player but he is not Luka and in those situations he needs help from the coach.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,497

Post#106 » by fuller4379 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:03 pm

Carlisle had lost the team. It is easier to fire the coach than trade the team.

1. Even though Carlisle fell on the sword, it was not a bad decision to save the timeout since the Pacers only had one timeout left. If they burned their last timeout and had problems inbounding the ball, everyone would be saying Carlisle made a bad decision for not saving the timeout. It is a situation where the player made a bad play, and the coach gets the blame.

2. There was no opportunity to foul before 3 point shot at the end of regulation.
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#107 » by MassimoPayne » Sat May 25, 2024 12:23 pm

Time for not **** around anymore and just play hardy instead of thj and exum?
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#108 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 25, 2024 4:33 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:Time for not **** around anymore and just play hardy instead of thj and exum?

I’d still like to give Exum a few minutes in the 2nd to try to earn his role back because if he gets back to form he could be a huge help.

But yeah completely done with THJ. Send him home and tell him he’s not coming back next year.

His dad being a POS moron side show really doesn’t help. And THJ is like the 4th best guard off the bench so **** him.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat May 25, 2024 6:51 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
MassimoPayne wrote:Time for not **** around anymore and just play hardy instead of thj and exum?

I’d still like to give Exum a few minutes in the 2nd to try to earn his role back because if he gets back to form he could be a huge help.

But yeah completely done with THJ. Send him home and tell him he’s not coming back next year.

His dad being a POS moron side show really doesn’t help. And THJ is like the 4th best guard off the bench so **** him.

Exum is still Exum, his shooting confidence is always low after a couple of misses.
Good RS guy but barely unplayable in PO. Unfortunately for us.

TH sr is a cancer for the team, i told ya months ago.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#110 » by dygaction » Sat May 25, 2024 8:12 pm

Kidd with again two successful challenges, especially the last minute one with Kyrie fouling but mastering the nba rules helped.
Again, before Luka was to take the 2nd free throw, he subbed out Kyrie to give him 30sec more rest going into the time out. Coaching a team with Luka and Kyrie, the first job is team chemistry and ego management to get regular seasons wins; the second is defense to get playoff wins. He has done good on both fronts.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,207

Post#111 » by GermanFan120 » Sun May 26, 2024 5:09 am

All the Kidd haters in this thread are eating crow now. :lol:
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#112 » by dygaction » Sun May 26, 2024 6:39 am

Kidd executed well and won two really close games in the wcf;
Carlisle lost two (game 1 and 3) winnable close games with some questionable decisions, but his last play was very creative, at least I have never seen things like this before. Looks like football, all in the backcourt running forward, changing directions while sprinting, and actually created a decent shot with 1.7 sec left on the clock. Starting 6:05.

;ab_channel=HooperHighlights
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,167

Post#113 » by ozwizard8 » Sun May 26, 2024 7:24 am

dygaction wrote:Kidd executed well and won two really close games in the wcf;
Carlisle lost two (game 1 and 3) winnable close games with some questionable decisions, but his last play was very creative, at least I have never seen things like this before. Looks like football, all in the backcourt running forward, changing directions while sprinting, and actually created a decent shot with 1.7 sec left on the clock. Starting 6:05.

Carlisle coaching Pacers like a college team. All high tempo offense, running around, fastbreaks, chaos and having a larger rotation.

I just dont think Pacers should be on ECF. Even with Haliburton they're sigficanlty worse in half-court offense. Lots of players with shaky shooting and handles. Siakam is a loser for sure. Lots of young guys like Nimhard, Naismith, Toppin are not ready for this stage. Myles Turner fades away against a good defense. I know he scored this game but where was he in the second half?

In general, I support set plays for last play. But for Pacers roster I cannot claim it was a bad decision. If Nimhard drew a foul or simply not lose the ball and make a pass to corner, it could've been a win(Siakam and McConnell was making the runs).

They kinda overachieved this year. In-season tournament and then ECF. With a bad coach this could've been ATL Hawks like a year.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun May 26, 2024 8:00 am

Boston is a better team but Carlisle choked 3 games in a row.
A sweep would be humiliating for Indiana.
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 61

Post#115 » by Marko_MFFL » Sun May 26, 2024 10:46 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:

Carlisle coaching Pacers like a college team. All high tempo offense, running around, fastbreaks, chaos and having a larger rotation.

I just dont think Pacers should be on ECF. Even with Haliburton they're sigficanlty worse in half-court offense. Lots of players with shaky shooting and handles. Siakam is a loser for sure. Lots of young guys like Nimhard, Naismith, Toppin are not ready for this stage. Myles Turner fades away against a good defense. I know he scored this game but where was he in the second half?

In general, I support set plays for last play. But for Pacers roster I cannot claim it was a bad decision. If Nimhard drew a foul or simply not lose the ball and make a pass to corner, it could've been a win(Siakam and McConnell was making the runs).

They kinda overachieved this year. In-season tournament and then ECF. With a bad coach this could've been ATL Hawks like a year.

Nembhard is soooo goooood! I bet you haven't watched many Indiana games this postseason. :)
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,167

Post#116 » by ozwizard8 » Yesterday 8:55 pm

Marko_MFFL wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

Nembhard is soooo goooood! I bet you haven't watched many Indiana games this postseason. :)

I cant even spell his name right so you're right I didn't watch much. I watched few Knicks-Pacers and 2nd half of Pacers-Celtics games. He had a good playoffs for his caliber of player. That still is not even an all-star player. High-tempo offense just helps some players like him.

Just go back to Nembhard's step back 3 to win in Indiana. That play looked like a disaster. No timeout or anything, Nembhard made a tough tough step back. At home, they got the rebound and coach trusted him to make a play. Didnt work.

Return to Dallas Mavericks