ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G3 - Mavs vs Thunder (Sat., 3:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 868

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G3 - Mavs vs Thunder (Sat., 3:30PMEST) 

Post#101 » by Teffer10 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:47 am

MassimoPayne wrote:
Darren wrote:
arkuo wrote:Omax Prosper needs to be ready before Maxi hangs it up. He's the maxi replacement.

I think about both Gafford and Lively learning to shoot from long range. Both need to shoot free throw better anyway. I want OMax to prove to be effective defender first.

I hope they don't learn to shot from distance. I don't want any of these two to wait at the three point line instead of being in the painted area fighting for rebounds. At some point we had 15-1 offense rebounds. Our Mavs. That would not happen if the could shoot the three. If you want to stretch the floor get a new guy but please don't turn our two guys into something they aren't

Disagree....Lively becoming a 3 point shooter would take our offense into another dimension.
Remember who our 2 PGs are and how much they would salivate at having a wide-open lane with shot-blockers 20 ft. from the basket.
Having 5 guys on the court who can shoot the 3 with one of them being a long athletic 7' 1" shot blocking defender would be a good thing and an opposing team coaches' nightmare.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 836

Post#102 » by Darren » Sun May 12, 2024 12:28 pm

Exactly. If both Lively and Gafford can shoot, you need not sacrifice the rim trying to climb up from behind. With Lively's frame and long arm, 3 balls could be like random layups. Dirk needs to fadeaway on one leg to create space. Lively simply gets all the space without moving around. Teams couldn't afford to send the shot blocker outside allowing Luka and Kyrie to attack the basket with no resistance. With the court vision, smart and passing, Lively could be invaluable piece to a championship team. Being able to convert free throws at good rate helps a lot as well.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 836

Post#103 » by Darren » Sun May 12, 2024 12:56 pm

Another player worths developing is actually Josh Green. The fundamentals are not very sound. Bare in mind that both Wes Matthews and Jimmy Butler do not steal and block like crazy to be impactful defender. But are they weaker defenders compared to Kirilenko or Jan Vaseley? Something has been wrong. The Mavs has not figured out. Josh is not as motivated. But Green does follow instructions. This is the lack of guidance to let this happen. I have Green as final few pieces of a champion squad. Around Luka and Kyrie, smart, athletic players with great court vision and shooting are ideal. Green could be exactly just that. Green also needs to get disciplined for shooting motion. Get ready to catch a pass and has the feets set before shooting. Now that Luka, Kyrie, Lively/ Gafford and Washington get so many attention, players like Josh Green could be overlooked. If Green can become more disciplined defender and shooter, the Mavs could create mismatches everywhere without sacrificing the defense. The same could be true to DJJ as well. Josh Green also has 6-11 wingspan and outstanding athleticism to be a passing lanes threat. great defender do not get blown by a lot. Making the right reads and not biting on fakes are also important for an elite defender.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,995

Post#104 » by Dirk » Sun May 12, 2024 2:03 pm

A couple of push offs were missed earlier in the game.

But yeah... 3 straight games where generally refs leaned the other way.

60/21/10
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,121

Post#105 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 2:34 pm

Dirk there were two offensive fouls by the Mavs in Quarter 1 and both looked like OKC flops to me. Not to mention SGA uses his elbow or pushes off constantly and gets rewarded for it, while Dort plays defensive end and Luka can't get calls. The officiating was terrible and it was in Dallas. We can't even get a fair whistle on our home court.

I prefer to watch a league where it's a fair whistle for both sides regardless of court, but if they can't handle that at least don't screw the home team. It's hard to shake the perception then that the league wants OKC to advance.

In fairness they did call SGA for an offensive foul finally in one of the most important possessions of the game at the end, but it's like what took so long.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,112

Post#106 » by daoneandonly » Sun May 12, 2024 2:44 pm

juanc wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:PJ and Kyrie!!!

Credit to Lively. First playoffs and Mother's day weekend, can't be easy at all.

Won't comment on Green because it seems to anger people for whatever reason. But Dante Exum, find another career. Professional basketball is not for you

Green and Lively were huge in the 3q 16:0 run. Green had 3 nice reads, a corner 3 and great defense and showed great hustle in boards, I don't really know what you want from him? To transform into Maxey/Bane? Well he can't to that, but he was a huge factor in swinging the momentum.

And Dlive was just out of this world, he won the game with his defense in the 2nd half, the "COY" tried to take him out of the game becouse of that, but Dlive delivered on the line. Just phenomenal stuff from him.

Lively is awesome, I'm saying it's a tough time for him, not sure why you feel the need to comment on things I didn't even say.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,995

Post#107 » by Dirk » Sun May 12, 2024 2:48 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Dirk there were two offensive fouls by the Mavs in Quarter 1 and both looked like OKC flops to me. Not to mention SGA uses his elbow or pushes off constantly and gets rewarded for it. The officiating was terrible and it was in Dallas. We can't even get a fair whistle on our home court.

Ah, it's impossible to note everything. I also was only checking more closely after the 3rd quarter. I think the refs have had a few moments where inexplicably they have called some things on the Mavs, which broke their rythmn.

Overall though... refs haven't "decided" any games. Yesterday they also allowed Mavs to get away with being physical.

What I find odd is that absolutely in all 3 games, the calls tilted the other way. And you can see the Mavs guys puzzled by some of the calls.

I feel it's a bit of a surprise that the Mavs are up 2-1 when Kyrie/Luka offensively haven't even been as good as vs Clippers. I suppose we're still getting used to winning because our guys are bigger and more physical than their guys and defense has been consistent.
60/21/10
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,941

Post#108 » by arkuo » Sun May 12, 2024 3:10 pm

Kyrie is kinda playing like a 6'2 version of Kobe. Kinda.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 3:22 pm

Dirk wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Dirk there were two offensive fouls by the Mavs in Quarter 1 and both looked like OKC flops to me. Not to mention SGA uses his elbow or pushes off constantly and gets rewarded for it. The officiating was terrible and it was in Dallas. We can't even get a fair whistle on our home court.

Ah, it's impossible to note everything. I also was only checking more closely after the 3rd quarter. I think the refs have had a few moments where inexplicably they have called some things on the Mavs, which broke their rythmn.

Overall though... refs haven't "decided" any games. Yesterday they also allowed Mavs to get away with being physical.

What I find odd is that absolutely in all 3 games, the calls tilted the other way. And you can see the Mavs guys puzzled by some of the calls.

I feel it's a bit of a surprise that the Mavs are up 2-1 when Kyrie/Luka offensively haven't even been as good as vs Clippers. I suppose we're still getting used to winning because our guys are bigger and more physical than their guys and defense has been consistent.

-Dort is making basketball hell on earth for Luka, and the refs aren't stopping it (which might be ok if their star wasn't getting calls either but he is)
-Kyrie is doing what he did in the regular season deferring in the first half then scoring more in the second half. It works better when Luka drops 35 than 22.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,167

Post#110 » by ozwizard8 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:10 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:Classic SGA. He can kick an opponent or just barrels into you and get a foul. Just a reminder this is playoffs and Kyrie-Luka is hacked all the time with mostly no calls at the same games.

Jones is not in the landing spot of SGA. He just kicks his foot in front too much.
https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=406&GameID=0042300221&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Jones%20Jr.%20S.FOUL%20(P3.T1)%20(B.Taylor)

Literally pushes off Gafford with elbow, Gafford tries to avoid any foul call and its an easy layup but still awarded with FT.
https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=281&GameID=0042300221&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Gafford%20S.FOUL%20(P2.T4)%20(T.Brothers)

Gafford is pushed in first play no call, SGA leans into DJJ to bump him and somehow get 2 FTs.
https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=287&GameID=0042300221&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Jones%20Jr.%20S.FOUL%20(P2.PN)%20(T.Brothers)

Another SOFT ass call for SGA. Luka almost never gets foul call for these and even harder ones in post up. I never saw anyone calling this a foul in the gym. SGA creates contact, spins with the contact and its a good position to be to make that shot. If someone miss this shot in the gym, they wouldn't even think about a foul here. It's like an open turnaround shot with the only contact initiated by the offensive player, which would help with the spin and rhythm for me if I am shooting that shot.
https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=332&GameID=0042300221&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Green%20S.FOUL%20(P2.PN)%20(B.Taylor)

**** SGA and his soft ass foul calls!

**** FLOPPER DORT! He always go after Luka's knees. NBA must stop this ****!

Props to Luka, his defense, and putting his body in it. PJ is an amazing acquisition. Green making shots, Lively making FTs. DJJ is crazy good, he can easily get $15-20m/year type of deal. Kyrie is more poised than ever.

Props to coaching staff and J.Kidd for all the adjustments. X and O's maybe coming from coaching staff to take Giddey out, making SGA less effective etc. But Kidd deserves credit for Luka taking less heat-check shots, Kyrie returning to basketball 100% with all the dressing suit and ****. A lot of confidence in Green, THJ and new playoff player in PJ Washington and DJJ. Props to T.Chandler for Lively.

Also suck it Sam Presti! He helped Dallas Mavs to get Lively, and then he helped us to be able to get PJ-Gafford at once.
Our FO finally had a good year. Half of it thanks to Presti :lol:
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#111 » by ozwizard8 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:15 pm

Dirk wrote:A couple of push offs were missed earlier in the game.

If you have time please do this for horrible Dort fouls on Luka, going for knees.
I would not mind push-offs if SGA wasn't getting soft foul calls. It just doesn't make sense when he is allowed to elbow everyone then getting FTs for touch-fouls.

+ his Flops on every screen. Dort has all-time high FLOP PER GAME(FPG) stat. His FPG in this series is 10.3! Every non-Thunder people watching the series now disgusted by Thunder brand of basketball. All REFS.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 11:21 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:

If you have time please do this for horrible Dort fouls on Luka, going for knees.
I would not mind push-offs if SGA wasn't getting soft foul calls. It just doesn't make sense when he is allowed to elbow everyone then getting FTs for touch-fouls.

+ his Flops on every screen. Dort has all-time high FLOP PER GAME(FPG) stat. His FPG in this series is 10.3! Every non-Thunder people watching the series now disgusted by Thunder brand of basketball. All REFS.

And the league put out a 2 minute review stating that Dallas got two favorable calls.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#113 » by ozwizard8 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:26 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

[streamable]

And the league put out a 2 minute review stating that Dallas got two favorable calls.

They need more support from REFS for OKC to stay in this.

With all the ref help, the OKC team still lacks talent, and they do not have that mental strength. I watched them live during regular season. When they get beaten, they usually look so desperate and have no fight in them. They should've finished the season like 6th or sth.

First round series, Refs helped them a lot. Dort football tackling Ingram was so effective for them...
They did the same **** Wolves against Suns too. Suns was 3-0 against Wolves in the season and REFS were on mission against them too. **** the TV deal and match-fixing! Stop pushing SGA as some superstar. He definitely is not there.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 11:36 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:If you have time please do this for horrible Dort fouls on Luka, going for knees.

They need more support from REFS for OKC to stay in this.

With all the ref help, the OKC team still lacks talent, and they do not have that mental strength. I watched them live during regular season. When they get beaten, they usually look so desperate and have no fight in them. They should've finished the season like 6th or sth.

First round series, Refs helped them a lot. Dort football tackling Ingram was so effective for them...
They did the same **** Wolves against Suns too. Suns was 3-0 against Wolves in the season and REFS were on mission against them too. **** the TV deal and match-fixing! Stop pushing SGA as some superstar. He definitely is not there.

This guy doesn't seem like some marketable superstar like Michael Jordan to me after watching him dance.

Read on Twitter

Return to Dallas Mavericks