ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Sixers (Sund., 1PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 719

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Sixers (Sund., 1PMEST) 

Post#161 » by BliscoSantos » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:59 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:You're delusional. He of course gave effort. He may not give 45 pts effort but gave 38/11/10 on 14/27 FG, 4/10 3-pt, 6/6 FT, 40 min played, +9.

Luka is great at taking responsibility after losses. He did that last year as well. But he is a human-being. He wont be able to post 50-pt each night to bail out kyrie and subpar pieces around him. When Luka is having a 70% night, it used to be Brunson or Dinwiddie helping him out. Now, Kyrie only works against bad teams and second units. Nowhere to be seen against Celtics. Luka is taking the heavy load in expense of kyrie's defensive liability.

You do realize that saying the right things and doing the right things are different,right?? Talk is cheap,action speak louder than words... there's plenty of film ,this and last season ,where Luka just coasts, on Both ends of the floor...it usualy happens against teams they're heavy favorites against...if you can't see the difference in his effort against a contender and a team they should beat confortably :roll:
Again, you're talking about O...yes , he's a magician on O,but you do realize basketball is played on Both ends of the floor...we know he can be ok on D when he tries, aka gives effort, but most of the time he's James Harden bad on that end... you're claiming Kyrie's the problem on D...Kyrie is small but he moves his feet well..he might not be a great defender but unlike Luka at least he gives effort...Mavs Lost to Pacers and Sixers cause they tried to play their game,fast pace,instead of trying to Play slower...they fell into their trap cause everybody in the league knows Luka takes a lot of time to get back on D(argues with the refs) and than you're one Man down on D

Nobody is questioning his ofense,but he's talking a lot how his D has improved,which it has, it Just happens that he chooses when it's time to try on D

Seriously stop sucking kyrie this much. This is not Kyrie Mavs. Kyrie can be decent defender for his height. That doesn't mean he is decent defender for NBA. He only bring LOSES to his teams in last 6-7 years.

Offensively Luka does much much more than Kyrie. Due to his size and height, he also do better on defense than Kyrie and also significantly helps the rebounding. But you are still crying about Luka not being good on defense. This is BS.
You cannot expect Luka to average 35/10/10 and also play good D. Its not who he is. It is also not possible to put that much effort for many games.

Harden-Rockets had similar heavy offensive load on Harden but had pieces around him to not defend. Luka team also should have a good defensive surrounding. Kyrie doesn't worth the max and defensive liability for his offensive production especially against playoff teams. Where was he against Celtics? Did you see how Celtics fans clown him?

Kyrie is worst defensive liability which makes Luka to defend 2nd worst offensive player of the opponent. Ideally, Luka should defend the easiest matchup and all others should bring help to Luka. Now team tries to 'hide' Kyrie to avoid mismatches. We cannot bring help from him to Luka so Luka gets exposed more frequently.

I'm definetely not as big of a Kyrie fan as you seem to be Lukas...I'm not a Luka hater,I 'm a fan, it Just pisses me off when he takes breaks on D,or doesn't Play it at all...basketball is played on Both ends...and Harden Rockets had some succes,but it's not like they were close to winning

You seem to faill to comprehend what the point of the post was ..yes Luka can Play D,when he wants to(which is rare,lets be honest) ..his O is amazing , but what he gives on the O side he gives up on the D side... Mavs D collapses mostly because of Luka,THJ and Kyrie...it's obvious that when you need D this three should not be playing together,yet somehow the coaching team fails to see that
Luka is a big dude, he's not very quick and athletic,but he has great BB IQ...he shouldn't be guarding PG and SG,even not the Best SF...it would be Best if they put jim on the PF...like I said,he's tako,Strong and knows how to position himself,he'd have less problems...I mean,I know it was one game,but he did prety good against Towns
It also doesn't Play to his strenth and the team D to Play fast tempo....sure, you should speed up after you make a Play on the D,but otherwise Play Smart,patient, don't rush...if you Play uptempto and you don't score you have to be good in transition D,which this team isn't
The Best lineup for when you need D should be
Kyrie(guarding PG), Green or DJJ ( depends who's having abetter game) guarding SG, PJ guarding SF ,Luka guarding PF and Lively(because he offers rim protection) guarding C
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,152

Post#162 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 9:31 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
You do realize that saying the right things and doing the right things are different,right?? Talk is cheap,action speak louder than words... there's plenty of film ,this and last season ,where Luka just coasts, on Both ends of the floor...it usualy happens against teams they're heavy favorites against...if you can't see the difference in his effort against a contender and a team they should beat confortably :roll:
Again, you're talking about O...yes , he's a magician on O,but you do realize basketball is played on Both ends of the floor...we know he can be ok on D when he tries, aka gives effort, but most of the time he's James Harden bad on that end... you're claiming Kyrie's the problem on D...Kyrie is small but he moves his feet well..he might not be a great defender but unlike Luka at least he gives effort...Mavs Lost to Pacers and Sixers cause they tried to play their game,fast pace,instead of trying to Play slower...they fell into their trap cause everybody in the league knows Luka takes a lot of time to get back on D(argues with the refs) and than you're one Man down on D

Nobody is questioning his ofense,but he's talking a lot how his D has improved,which it has, it Just happens that he chooses when it's time to try on D

Seriously stop sucking kyrie this much. This is not Kyrie Mavs. Kyrie can be decent defender for his height. That doesn't mean he is decent defender for NBA. He only bring LOSES to his teams in last 6-7 years.

Offensively Luka does much much more than Kyrie. Due to his size and height, he also do better on defense than Kyrie and also significantly helps the rebounding. But you are still crying about Luka not being good on defense. This is BS.
You cannot expect Luka to average 35/10/10 and also play good D. Its not who he is. It is also not possible to put that much effort for many games.

Harden-Rockets had similar heavy offensive load on Harden but had pieces around him to not defend. Luka team also should have a good defensive surrounding. Kyrie doesn't worth the max and defensive liability for his offensive production especially against playoff teams. Where was he against Celtics? Did you see how Celtics fans clown him?

Kyrie is worst defensive liability which makes Luka to defend 2nd worst offensive player of the opponent. Ideally, Luka should defend the easiest matchup and all others should bring help to Luka. Now team tries to 'hide' Kyrie to avoid mismatches. We cannot bring help from him to Luka so Luka gets exposed more frequently.

I'm definetely not as big of a Kyrie fan as you seem to be Lukas...I'm not a Luka hater,I 'm a fan, it Just pisses me off when he takes breaks on D,or doesn't Play it at all...basketball is played on Both ends...and Harden Rockets had some succes,but it's not like they were close to winning

You seem to faill to comprehend what the point of the post was ..yes Luka can Play D,when he wants to(which is rare,lets be honest) ..his O is amazing , but what he gives on the O side he gives up on the D side... Mavs D collapses mostly because of Luka,THJ and Kyrie...it's obvious that when you need D this three should not be playing together,yet somehow the coaching team fails to see that
Luka is a big dude, he's not very quick and athletic,but he has great BB IQ...he shouldn't be guarding PG and SG,even not the Best SF...it would be Best if they put jim on the PF...like I said,he's tako,Strong and knows how to position himself,he'd have less problems...I mean,I know it was one game,but he did prety good against Towns
It also doesn't Play to his strenth and the team D to Play fast tempo....sure, you should speed up after you make a Play on the D,but otherwise Play Smart,patient, don't rush...if you Play uptempto and you don't score you have to be good in transition D,which this team isn't
Kyrie(guarding PG), Green or DJJ ( depends who's having abetter game) guarding SG, PJ guarding SF ,Luka guarding PF and Lively(because he offers rim protection) guarding C

Being Luka fan as a Dallas Mavs fan is more than okay. Bashing Luka for Kyrie is crazy though. Kyrie is ending his career, no longer allstar, and clowned by most other teams' fanbases daily. Its perfectly fine to support the franchise player who done many things for Mavs franchise than 1-year of failure Kyrie. Kyrie fans should simply stop the non-sense. They said those things for Tatum-Brown, KD-Harden and now Luka.

Your hypocrisy shows here as you still bash Luka's defense and saying he gives up on defense what he produce on offense.
Luka is simply too great on offense so he doesn't give up that many points, momentum due to defensive side. However, Kyrie doesn't produce as much as Luka but gives up even more. You try to avoid the fact that Kyrie is too small and create huge defensive and rebounding problems whereas you still bash Luka for defense. Being small/short is a disadvantage. You either create more scoring to have a value or you play less.

Anyway, Luka>>>Kyrie and there is no contest here. Assuming Kyrie is worse for defense and rebounding (partly due to being short/small), and produces less on offense than Luka. It clearly shows that before bashing Luka you should focus on Kyrie-THJ minutes. Luka needs decent-good defenders around. He cannot carry defense while doing 38/11/10 offense.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#163 » by BliscoSantos » Tue Mar 5, 2024 10:42 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Seriously stop sucking kyrie this much. This is not Kyrie Mavs. Kyrie can be decent defender for his height. That doesn't mean he is decent defender for NBA. He only bring LOSES to his teams in last 6-7 years.

Being Luka fan as a Dallas Mavs fan is more than okay. Bashing Luka for Kyrie is crazy though. Kyrie is ending his career, no longer allstar, and clowned by most other teams' fanbases daily. Its perfectly fine to support the franchise player who done many things for Mavs franchise than 1-year of failure Kyrie. Kyrie fans should simply stop the non-sense. They said those things for Tatum-Brown, KD-Harden and now Luka.

Your hypocrisy shows here as you still bash Luka's defense and saying he gives up on defense what he produce on offense.
Luka is simply too great on offense so he doesn't give up that many points, momentum due to defensive side. However, Kyrie doesn't produce as much as Luka but gives up even more. You try to avoid the fact that Kyrie is too small and create huge defensive and rebounding problems whereas you still bash Luka for defense. Being small/short is a disadvantage. You either create more scoring to have a value or you play less.

Anyway, Luka>>>Kyrie and there is no contest here. Assuming Kyrie is worse for defense and rebounding (partly due to being short/small), and produces less on offense than Luka. It clearly shows that before bashing Luka you should focus on Kyrie-THJ minutes. Luka needs decent-good defenders around. He cannot carry defense while doing 38/11/10 offense.

Why is criticizing somebody for his lack of effort called bashing? I never said Luka was a bad Player ,I Just Said I hate the fact that he takes time off on D,expecting everyone Else to cover his some times lazyness on that end...I know it's hard to Play two ways for an entire game...all I'd like to see from him some more effort,we know he's capable of that,Just to not get blown by easily,to hold on his Player for a second or two so that the help can cone
Btw ,the biggest problem this team has is coaching...their schemes are terrible...they switch everything..I get that you switch when the opponents set blocks,but the Mavs switch even on the simplest of passes and that's when the defense collapses...usualy it happens when Luka and Timmy switch(Look at the Pacers game), when there's not enough communication between them(Timmy simply forgets to switch)
After the all-star break this team simply looks terrible...a lot of it is on coaching... Kidd's just to stuborn and is trying out lineups that simply don't work...the defense has been horrendous after the break and the ofense has also been pretty bad... that's all on coaching...no gameplan, waiting for some guys (THJ ,Maxi) to find their game just totaly messed up their rhytm
Watch what Luka said after the last loss...he needs to have the energy from the start, lead by example...because when he's playing lackluster others follow
This team is not as bad as they Look after the break....with a better coach they wouldn't be in the playin spot ...SAC for example doesn't have a better team than Mavs,yet they have a solid coach and know their assignments...meanwhile Mavs have Kidd who leta the Players wing it,even though only Luka and Kyrie have a BB IQ to know how to take advantage of the opponents weakness....other Players need structure, set plays, a gameplan,something which the coaching team doesn't have
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,152

Post#164 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 11:01 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

Why is criticizing somebody for his lack of effort called bashing? I never said Luka was a bad Player ,I Just Said I hate the fact that he takes time off on D,expecting everyone Else to cover his some times lazyness on that end...I know it's hard to Play two ways for an entire game...all I'd like to see from him some more effort,we know he's capable of that,Just to not get blown by easily,to hold on his Player for a second or two so that the help can cone
Btw ,the biggest problem this team has is coaching...their schemes are terrible...they switch everything..I get that you switch when the opponents set blocks,but the Mavs switch even on the simplest of passes and that's when the defense collapses...usualy it happens when Luka and Timmy switch(Look at the Pacers game), when there's not enough communication between them(Timmy simply forgets to switch)
After the all-star break this team simply looks terrible...a lot of it is on coaching... Kidd's just to stuborn and is trying out lineups that simply don't work...the defense has been horrendous after the break and the ofense has also been pretty bad... that's all on coaching...no gameplan, waiting for some guys (THJ ,Maxi) to find their game just totaly messed up their rhytm
Watch what Luka said after the last loss...he needs to have the energy from the start, lead by example...because when he's playing lackluster others follow
This team is not as bad as they Look after the break....with a better coach they wouldn't be in the playin spot ...SAC for example doesn't have a better team than Mavs,yet they have a solid coach and know their assignments...meanwhile Mavs have Kidd who leta the Players wing it,even though only Luka and Kyrie have a BB IQ to know how to take advantage of the opponents weakness....other Players need structure, set plays, a gameplan,something which the coaching team doesn't have

I dont know how old you are but you really cannot argue on anything. I am taking time to write you explain things. How it does not make sense to bash Luka but defend Kyrie. I explained you the importance of each player to Mavs franchise. Your answer is this:

I never said Luka was a bad Player.

Bravo for not saying Luka=bad player. Take it easy on your kyrie love and not bash Luka for him not putting a stat line of 45/15/15 with 5 steals 3 blocks. We need decent-good defenders around Luka. Its not feasible for Luka to have this offensive load and somehow play good D. He'll say he should do better because he is a good leader, that does not mean its actually on him.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,613

Post#165 » by Maverick41 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 11:04 pm

Read on Twitter

If THJ plays D like this again, he needs to be glued to the bench. How you mess up this many times in 1 defensive possession is beyond unacceptable.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#166 » by BliscoSantos » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:32 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

I dont know how old you are but you really cannot argue on anything. I am taking time to write you explain things. How it does not make sense to bash Luka but defend Kyrie. I explained you the importance of each player to Mavs franchise. Your answer is this:

I never said Luka was a bad Player.

Bravo for not saying Luka=bad player. Take it easy on your kyrie love and not bash Luka for him not putting a stat line of 45/15/15 with 5 steals 3 blocks. We need decent-good defenders around Luka. Its not feasible for Luka to have this offensive load and somehow play good D. He'll say he should do better because he is a good leader, that does not mean its actually on him.

Yeah,I see it's pointless...i'm not defending Kyrie and I'm not bashing Luka...the whole team has been bad after the break ...Just because I was critical of his D doesn't mean I'm bashing him...I'm not expecting him or Kyrie(Lost the hope for THJ) to be some great defenders but we've seen him play ok on that end... it's not about blocks or steals ,it's more about being aware where your man is and not to get blown by on the first step....that's all and it goes for everybody on the team

And yes, I hate the fact that he has to put on monster O stats for them to win, but that's on the coaching or isn't it? The team isn't as bad as they've playing,but they have no gameplan...it's Just ISO and pick'n rolls...something is rotten in this team and I think it's the coach... there's no reason this team shouldn't be in the 6th place now...the coaching has been absolutely terrible
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,227

Post#167 » by Archx » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:07 am

BliscoSantos wrote:... Mavs D collapses mostly because of Luka,THJ and Kyrie...

You're one of the most reasonable posters around here but that's the 2nd time you're now missleading. I don't know if you do it intentionally to prove your point or simply believe what you say is true.

Not long time ago there were metrics posted here about Doncic's post and iso defense and he ranked both in top10 in the entire NBA.

Mavs are collapsing defenses not because of Doncic but because they do it anytime anyone tries to get in to the paint or gets the ball on the block. They often double when they shouldn't and they don't when they should. Their entire defensive scheme is totally messed up. Their PnR defense is good with Lively but that's about it. Often rotating guys don't know where to be on the floor or where to go. It has nothing to do with Doncic or Kyrie why defenses are collapsing. If perimeter guys get beat off the dribble, you don't need to bring in 4 guys to defend the paint or if you do, then you have to make sure to properly rotate and switch. Mavs entire team often gets totally messed up. Hence why their DRTg has fallen off the cliff for entire team.

BliscoSantos wrote:but what he gives on the O side he gives up on the D side

That's also incredibly wrong. Luka had probably the worst defensive performance of the year vs Celtics and still statistically generated 20 more points than he allowed. This notion has to stop because if that was true then THJ and Kyrie would be responsable for more than 50% of opposing team points each game given how bad their defense actually is.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#168 » by BliscoSantos » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:43 am

Archx wrote:

You're one of the most reasonable posters around here but that's the 2nd time you're now missleading. I don't know if you do it intentionally to prove your point or simply believe what you say is true.

Not long time ago there were metrics posted here about Doncic's post and iso defense and he ranked both in top10 in the entire NBA.

Mavs are collapsing defenses not because of Doncic but because they do it anytime anyone tries to get in to the paint or gets the ball on the block. They often double when they shouldn't and they don't when they should. Their entire defensive scheme is totally messed up. Their PnR defense is good with Lively but that's about it. Often rotating guys don't know where to be on the floor or where to go. It has nothing to do with Doncic or Kyrie why defenses are collapsing. If perimeter guys get beat off the dribble, you don't need to bring in 4 guys to defend the paint or if you do, then you have to make sure to properly rotate and switch. Mavs entire team often gets totally messed up. Hence why their DRTg has fallen off the cliff for entire team.

That's also incredibly wrong. Luka had probably the worst defensive performance of the year vs Celtics and still statistically generated 20 more points than he allowed. This notion has to stop because if that was true then THJ and Kyrie would be responsable for more than 50% of opposing team points each game given how bad their defense actually is.

You're right,Luka's post defense is good and I even mentioned it in one post...I even said he should be guarding the PF(SF) ,never PG or SG cause he doesn't have the quickness...I didn't mean to be misleading and should have been more accurate in saying his perimeter D is bad,again he doesn't have quick feet.....like you said a lineup of Luka-Kyrie-THJ is horrible for defense, that's the one that usually collapses,mostly because of the bad coaching ....too many times the Players aren't in sync if they stay by their man or switch

And as for the part that was related to he gives up on D what he gives on O it was overblown(exagerrated) ...yes I was thinking only about his points not the ones he creates for others,which is still a Little much probably,fair Play...I might have gotten a Little carried away by the frustration,but I think we can all agree that there's a clear difference in his effort on that side when they were winning and in this losing streak....against Boston for example Brown was toying...but that's the coaches fault...Luka shouldn't be guarding Brown and they should have had a D scheme that would prevent him being switched into him that often

It's not Luka's fault this losing streak happened and it's not Kyrie's...it's the fault of the entire team and mostly of the coaching staff...it Just seems like Mavs are the only team that's not capable of making adjustments and here lies the coaches fault
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,227

Post#169 » by Archx » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:00 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
Archx wrote:

You're right,Luka's post defense is good and I even mentioned it in one post...I even said he should be guarding the PF(SF) ,never PG or SG cause he doesn't have the quickness...I didn't mean to be misleading and should have been more accurate in saying his perimeter D is bad,again he doesn't have quick feet.....like you said a lineup of Luka-Kyrie-THJ is horrible for defense, that's the one that usually collapses,mostly because of the bad coaching ....too many times the Players aren't in sync if they stay by their man or switch

And as for the part that was related to he gives up on D what he gives on O it was overblown(exagerrated) ...yes I was thinking only about his points not the ones he creates for others,which is still a Little much probably,fair Play...I might have gotten a Little carried away by the frustration,but I think we can all agree that there's a clear difference in his effort on that side when they were winning and in this losing streak....against Boston for example Brown was toying...but that's the coaches fault...Luka shouldn't be guarding Brown and they should have had a D scheme that would prevent him being switched into him that often

It's not Luka's fault this losing streak happened and it's not Kyrie's...it's the fault of the entire team and mostly of the coaching staff...it Just seems like Mavs are the only team that's not capable of making adjustments and here lies the coaches fault

Just to add to that. Someone on reddit did the calculation. In the last 16 games, Mavs with Luka ON the floor, won those minutes in 13 games and lost only 3. All in all, Luka on the floor has not been Mavs problem at all, it's elsewhere.

Return to Dallas Mavericks