Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Re: Dallas Mavericks 2023/24 Trade thread 

Post#1921 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:24 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:In games where Dallas has won or tied the rebounding battle this season they are 18-6. Which is a 62 win pace.

Those 6 losses are to elite teams as well, Celtics, Buck twice, Pelicans, Kings, and T-Wolves.

Dallas is 14-17 in games where they have lost the rebounding battle which is a 37 win pace.

And all of the worst loses of the season are in those 17 games.

Why did Dallas lose to a Pelicans team who sat Zion and BI? Pelicans out rebounded us by 10. Why did we turn around and beat them the next game when they had their stars back? We won the rebounding battle by 5. Why did Dallas lose to a Cavs team without Mitchell, Garland, or Mobley this season? Sure Kyrie was out, sure we shot like **** from 3, but we also got out rebounded by 20.

In basketball you can control certain things, effort on defense, shot selection(looking at you Tim), boxing out and grabbing rebounds. You cannot always control your shooting percentage on any given night though. Great teams are great because they do the little things.

All that to say thing adding Gafford, the best rebounder on the team, and replacing Grant Williams with PJ who is twice as good of a rebounder is huge. It gives Dallas more size to fight on the boards and as Gafford says, take out the garbage.

That's the point.

After the TDL trades we can stay in the game despite our 3s don't fall and win the game in 4th with Luka and Kyrie.
Gafford energy is contagious and PJ is an underrated defender for what i've seen in those games.
They played in lose teams all career, we will see if they fit in a winning squad with maybe limited minutes and possessions.
For sure Luka is very happy to having them :lol:

G-Will is not bad as he played last games here, he is the classic MLE guy so just a hustler role player with some good shooting games sometimes (he played great with the Hornets lately) but Kidd played him backup C.
His departure was good for both parts.

Nekias Duncan from the Dunker’s Spot said he heard PJ Washington was so excited to get traded to a winning team that he left the restaurant he was at when he found out.

Defense takes energy, it cost your body, and requires consistent effort and focus. If a team you play on is gonna win 20 games whether you play good defense or not why would you?

You are right but it's not so easy that transaction... He could be our Gordon (Aaron has more talent, he was a 18-8 guy in Orlando).
It's all in PJ hands (and head) now.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,152

Post#1922 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:00 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:I just thinking... Can we trade another pair of role player for another superstar? Can Nico make another Kyrie miracle?

Maybe Powell+THJ+ 1 FRP for PG13? Probably not... Miracles happen one time in a lifetime.

I am not sure if this works for salaries. PG is earning $45m/year. Probably need to send Maxi and PJ Washington as well. Then again, there is no motive for Clippers to send him to us. Theoretically, Mavs could've resigned Brunson and then also send the picks for Kyrie trade, and this year's trades for a bigger package to acquire someone like PG for 4 first-round picks and swaps. Luka's best fit as 2nd star should be a 2-way frontcourt player imo.

Kyrie was expiring, he is known as toxic, there were so few teams willing to give him new max deal. In addition to that, Nets FO didn't want to trade Kyrie to a desired destination (LA), so the deal wasn't a big surprise. Nets definitely **** our 1 year with that trade.
Blessing in disguise. Mavs' Kyrie experiment failed so badly, so we tanked and got Lively. DFS+Dinwiddie+picks=Lively+Kyrie sounds like a good deal except we throw 1 season away.

From DFS+Dinwiddie+ 1FRP to Irving+Lively= Nico GM of the year hands down. Deal with it my friend.

First trade failing epically for tanking and getting lucky for Lively to drop 12th is hard to call for GM of the year for the last season.
Lucky GM of the year award can go to him or Spurs GM just because they won the lottery for Wenbenyama.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#1923 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:04 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:In games where Dallas has won or tied the rebounding battle this season they are 18-6. Which is a 62 win pace.

Those 6 losses are to elite teams as well, Celtics, Buck twice, Pelicans, Kings, and T-Wolves.

Dallas is 14-17 in games where they have lost the rebounding battle which is a 37 win pace.

And all of the worst loses of the season are in those 17 games.

Why did Dallas lose to a Pelicans team who sat Zion and BI? Pelicans out rebounded us by 10. Why did we turn around and beat them the next game when they had their stars back? We won the rebounding battle by 5. Why did Dallas lose to a Cavs team without Mitchell, Garland, or Mobley this season? Sure Kyrie was out, sure we shot like **** from 3, but we also got out rebounded by 20.

In basketball you can control certain things, effort on defense, shot selection(looking at you Tim), boxing out and grabbing rebounds. You cannot always control your shooting percentage on any given night though. Great teams are great because they do the little things.

All that to say thing adding Gafford, the best rebounder on the team, and replacing Grant Williams with PJ who is twice as good of a rebounder is huge. It gives Dallas more size to fight on the boards and as Gafford says, take out the garbage.

That's the point.

After the TDL trades we can stay in the game despite our 3s don't fall and win the game in 4th with Luka and Kyrie.
Gafford energy is contagious and PJ is an underrated defender for what i've seen in those games.
They played in lose teams all career, we will see if they fit in a winning squad with maybe limited minutes and possessions.
For sure Luka is very happy to having them :lol:

G-Will is not bad as he played last games here, he is the classic MLE guy so just a hustler role player with some good shooting games sometimes (he played great with the Hornets lately) but Kidd played him backup C.
His departure was good for both parts.

Nekias Duncan from the Dunker’s Spot said he heard PJ Washington was so excited to get traded to a winning team that he left the restaurant he was at when he found out.

Defense takes energy, it cost your body, and requires consistent effort and focus. If a team you play on is gonna win 20 games whether you play good defense or not why would you?

Good point about the energy. I would also add that having a rim protecting C helps those wing players to defend.
PJ Washington blocked a shot of Wemby coming from behind just because Wemby was slowed down due to Gafford.

Grant was not doing great here but he also didn't have played with a solid C most of the time. Being undersized at SF-PF and then playing Powell-Holmes was not good. I did not blame Kidd for that because its what he had. Now he has both Gafford-Lively and this helps other wing players too. Even Green is doing better when there is a 'goalkeeper' waiting behind of him.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,243

Post#1924 » by BeiBeau » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:12 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:I am not sure if this works for salaries. PG is earning $45m/year. Probably need to send Maxi and PJ Washington as well. Then again, there is no motive for Clippers to send him to us. Theoretically, Mavs could've resigned Brunson and then also send the picks for Kyrie trade, and this year's trades for a bigger package to acquire someone like PG for 4 first-round picks and swaps. Luka's best fit as 2nd star should be a 2-way frontcourt player imo.

Kyrie was expiring, he is known as toxic, there were so few teams willing to give him new max deal. In addition to that, Nets FO didn't want to trade Kyrie to a desired destination (LA), so the deal wasn't a big surprise. Nets definitely **** our 1 year with that trade.
Blessing in disguise. Mavs' Kyrie experiment failed so badly, so we tanked and got Lively. DFS+Dinwiddie+picks=Lively+Kyrie sounds like a good deal except we throw 1 season away.

From DFS+Dinwiddie+ 1FRP to Irving+Lively= Nico GM of the year hands down. Deal with it my friend.

First trade failing epically for tanking and getting lucky for Lively to drop 12th is hard to call for GM of the year for the last season.
Lucky GM of the year award can go to him or Spurs GM just because they won the lottery for Wenbenyama.

Dallas wasn’t lucky Lively fell to them. They identified a great young player that other teams someone overlooked and went out and got their guy while getting got the Bertans money, getting a 1st and Holmes for the Bertans TPE, and then turning Holmes and a swap into Gafford.

No GM is perfect and Nico isn’t a elite GM, but that series of moves is extremely good.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#1925 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:19 am

BeiBeau wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Dallas wasn’t lucky Lively fell to them. They identified a great young player that other teams someone overlooked and went out and got their guy while getting got the Bertans money, getting a 1st and Holmes for the Bertans TPE, and then turning Holmes and a swap into Gafford.

No GM is perfect and Nico isn’t a elite GM, but that series of moves is extremely good.

Mavs doing a good job at drafting at least in 5-6 years. We just happened to not have good picks.
#12 is not that great pick either. Props to Mavs for selecting Lively. But then again there is also some fortune playing a part in this as other teams passing an obvious choice. Similar to Luka draft. He should've been clear #1 pick. He dropped and also Hawks traded #3 to us. Stupidity helped Mavs for sure. For instance if Spurs had #1-3, I think they'd draft Luka.

The point is #12 draft pick is usually not that great even if you historically draft well. Like this year, the draft class is not good so even a top 5 pick may not net a player like Lively.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#1926 » by dygaction » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:23 am

Would you do a combined or separate deal with Nets for:
Lively II + THJ + 1frp + 2 2rp for Bridges + Nic Claxton? Nets get Lively rookie long term and THJ expiring. Mavs in win now and get the lock down defender and more than capable 3rd best player.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 860

Post#1927 » by Teffer10 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:35 am

dygaction wrote:Would you do a combined or separate deal with Nets for:
Lively II + THJ + 1frp + 2 2rp for Bridges + Nic Claxton? Nets get Lively rookie long term and THJ expiring. Mavs in win now and get the lock down defender and more than capable 3rd best player.

Yes...
But Nets could get more so it wouldnt have a chance.
I doubt Nets would do that for only Bridges, let alone adding Claxton.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#1928 » by dygaction » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:56 am

Teffer10 wrote:
dygaction wrote:Would you do a combined or separate deal with Nets for:

Yes...
But Nets could get more so it wouldnt have a chance.
I doubt Nets would do that for only Bridges, let alone adding Claxton.

This is to see from Mavs side. Lively has to be considered at least worthy of 3 frps, with his size, atheletism, passing, fit, youth.. right?
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,613

Post#1929 » by Maverick41 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:44 am

dygaction wrote:This is to see from Mavs side. Lively has to be considered at least worthy of 3 frps, with his size, atheletism, passing, fit, youth.. right?

Lively is awesome for us but I highly doubt his value is at least worthy of 3 FRPs. That kind of value is reserved for star guys. I would do the deal proposed because the value is too good for us but would honestly be pretty sad to let go of Lively.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#1930 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:34 am

Maverick41 wrote:
dygaction wrote:This is to see from Mavs side. Lively has to be considered at least worthy of 3 frps, with his size, atheletism, passing, fit, youth.. right?

Lively is awesome for us but I highly doubt his value is at least worthy of 3 FRPs. That kind of value is reserved for star guys. I would do the deal proposed because the value is too good for us but would honestly be pretty sad to let go of Lively.

Tough decision... I hate to lose Lively but Mikal is the perfect 2way wing and Gafford-Claxton-Maxi is a good C rotation.

Honestly i don't know...
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#1931 » by Teffer10 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:03 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

Tough decision... I hate to lose Lively but Mikal is the perfect 2way wing and Gafford-Claxton-Maxi is a good C rotation.

Honestly i don't know...

I clamored for drafting Lively more than anyone on this board, but there is no way in hell Mavs turn down that deal if offered.
Clax/Gaff would still be a lethal duo at center and we'd add the perfect final piece at wing.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,995

Post#1932 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:23 pm

Lively has +9.2 on/off...
I love Gafford, but offensively he's just not Lively, he's really limited away from the basket, Lively's greatest surprise is his passing, defensively, Lively covers massive area with his length and quickness.
I agree, Nets don't do this deal, but I'm not celebrating it either...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#1933 » by Teffer10 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:07 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Lively has +9.2 on/off...
I love Gafford, but offensively he's just not Lively, he's really limited away from the basket, Lively's greatest surprise is his passing, defensively, Lively covers massive area with his length and quickness.

Adding Bridges and Claxton while only giving up Lively and Hardaway would make us very serious contenders next season.

I agree Lively's upside is far greater than Claxton and Gafford's, but if we want to contend now that deal would put us in the top tier.

I was actually thinking we might need to part with Gafford in the offseason to vastly upgrade our wing situation. Parting with Lively in a package deal could land us a real star.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 719

Post#1934 » by BliscoSantos » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:16 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

Adding Bridges and Claxton while only giving up Lively and Hardaway would make us very serious contenders this season.

I agree Lively's upside is far greater than Claxton and Gafford's, but if we want to contend now that deal would put us in the top tier.

I was actually thinking we might need to part with Gafford in the offseason to vastly upgrade our wing situation. Parting with Lively in a package deal could land us a real star.

The new CBA will limit what teams in luxury tax can do,how they can built a team...there aren't many owners willing to pay the tax,only Balmer and Ishbia come to mind...we don't know how much the new owners are willing to spend...Lively is on a rookie contract, he's got amazing potential and he and Luka can lead this team for the next 10+ years

Mavs need to find a starting SF, someone who can be the third scorer(and is a good defender), to be a true contender...while Bridges would be amazing ,Mavs just don't have the assets to get him.... they're gonna have to find a different targets..Nico did great the last two deadlines, let's see if he's got something up his sleeve in the summer

Besides Gafford and Lively is an amazing C's duo to have ...Gafford is on a good contract,Claxton will command 25-30 mio...is he really that much better than Gafford? He's quicker,but not as strong...they need to keep this team together now
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#1935 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:40 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

Adding Bridges and Claxton while only giving up Lively and Hardaway would make us very serious contenders next season.

I'm much lower on Bridges than most, he's good as 1st option but the team isn't winning, as a lower option I saw too many red flags, especially on Mavs/Suns series, this was also the reason Suns moved on from him.
Claxton is amazing defender on the perimeter, better than Lively, but also good rim protector, but he doesn't have Lively passing instincts on offense, he's very similar to Gafford there, without the offensive rebounding prowess.

A similar deal was was proposed on the trade board before the deadline.

Bridges/Claxton/DFS/29 1st for
Lively/Holmes/THJ/Prosper/26 1st/28/1st/30 1st/27 swap/29 swap

I thought this one was close, Mavs close the PF/C/wing positions, BK gets elite prospect and all of DAL future picks.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#1936 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:43 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Adding Bridges and Claxton while only giving up Lively and Hardaway would make us very serious contenders this season.

The new CBA will limit what teams in luxury tax can do,how they can built a team...there aren't many owners willing to pay the tax,only Balmer and Ishbia come to mind...we don't know how much the new owners are willing to spend...Lively is on a rookie contract, he's got amazing potential and he and Luka can lead this team for the next 10+ years

Mavs need to find a starting SF, someone who can be the third scorer(and is a good defender), to be a true contender...while Bridges would be amazing ,Mavs just don't have the assets to get him.... they're gonna have to find a different targets..Nico did great the last two deadlines, let's see if he's got something up his sleeve in the summer

Besides Gafford and Lively is an amazing C's duo to have ...Gafford is on a good contract,Claxton will command 25-30 mio...is he really that much better than Gafford? He's quicker,but not as strong...they need to keep this team together now

I'm not sure Mavs need to find a SF, the next 30 games will tell us what we need to know.
Green/PJW at the 2 + 4 can be good enough, Green needs to learn to better handle screens and fakes, PJW needs to become below average 3pt shooter, right now he's just bad.
If these 2 things materialize, the team is good enough, no team is perfect.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,225

Post#1937 » by Archx » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:47 pm

You guys are completely mad if you're even thinking of trading Lively. I wouldn't trade him unless i can get back a Jokic or Giannis or a top5 player.

I don't know how else to explain it so i'll try to exaggerate a little bit to make a point.

When he's in the game, he literally changes everything. You can go back and re-watch how Wemby dissapeared when Lively was guarding him, other Spurs players had no clue what to do around the rim. The older and more experienced he'll get, the more impactfull he'll be. And he already is.

If Kidd had any braincells as a coach, he would figure out how to maximize PJ, Green, DJJ and make them look like they're elite role players. And don't tell me it's not possible if Rick was able to do that before him.
Luckily Green has started playing amazing after he returned from his injury and is becoming a great 3&D guy so trading Lively for Bridges it would mean Mavs would need to completely re-shuffle half of the roster in order to get the right pieces in place and hope for Gaff to have the same impact on both ends like Lively in order to justify doing that trade.
If PJ starts making 3's at around 36%-38% clip then with how Kidd plays his offense with Luka and Kyrie, Mavs have absolutely no reason to gimp the roster for Bridges.

The only player Mavs have right now that is basically holding them back is THJ, his inconsistency on offense doesn't justify him playing big minutes specially if you look how absolutely horrible his defense is.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Post#1938 » by tleikheen » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:23 pm

I watched the Rising Stars and saw Lively standing with Chet Holmgren and Walter Kesseler and saw 3 foundational pieces to their teams long term success ,without a doubt and I bet Utah and OKC would not trade for Claxton with their guys either.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,970

Post#1939 » by Oscar9992 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:36 pm

Which free agent you would rather sign this summer?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Post#1940 » by tleikheen » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:44 pm

Right now Lively is in a great spot .I think Gafford will start because comments here suggest there getting the Washington Wizards version (11pts/8r rpg) of Gafford BUT we're going to see the Luka Doncic version of Gafford. In his 1st 3 games playing w/Luka , Gafford is avg 15 ppg and 12 rpg in 20.3 mpg . Thats more than Lively's 9 ppg /8rpg in 26 mpg .

Return to Dallas Mavericks