Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 868

Re: Dallas Mavericks 2024 Trade thread 

Post#321 » by Teffer10 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:32 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:
I'm probably a bit biased because i already wanted DJJ before he was on anyone's radar. I thought he would be a perfect fit next to Luka and this team. I was pleasantly surprised when he was actually picked up. So, i think i would give him around 8-10M. Though in reality he'll want something in that 10-14M range (Green money). PJ i think is worth a bit more due to more reliable offense 15-20M.

But it's a free market so, who knows really. And keep in mind that cap is going up. 10M last season is not the same as 10M next season. That's why even Green's contract will look slightly cheaper.

Trading THJ will be important just to clear some cap. Hardy is a direct replacement for THJ so not upgrading over THJ is not going to be a massive problem. Mavs dropped the ball by forcing him to play so much this season instead of Hardy, who has been a nice boost in the lineup lately.

Yeah, agree about keeping Hardy.
If we can re-sign DJJ, we wont need to make any major moves.
Maybe shop THJ, Green, Exum, and Maxi to improve the bench, but I don't see any reason for this team to make any major moves.

Why would you shop Exum, he's on minimum and even, if you play him only in RS, he's more than worth it? Just somehow trade THJ and Josh and that's it.

Exactly....a contract that would be attractive.
Gotta give to receive.
People call Green and THJ scrubs but think we'll receive something special in return in a trade.
THJ has a moveable a contract, but Josh's nullifies any positives from THJ in a package deal.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,747

Post#322 » by Bob8 » Mon May 20, 2024 5:13 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Yeah, agree about keeping Hardy.
If we can re-sign DJJ, we wont need to make any major moves.
Maybe shop THJ, Green, Exum, and Maxi to improve the bench, but I don't see any reason for this team to make any major moves.

Why would you shop Exum, he's on minimum and even, if you play him only in RS, he's more than worth it? Just somehow trade THJ and Josh and that's it.

Exactly....a contract that would be attractive.
Gotta give to receive.
People call Green and THJ scrubs but think we'll receive something special in return in a trade.
THJ has a moveable a contract, but Josh's nullifies any positives from THJ in a package deal.

You're not getting anything good for those 3 either way. Exum is at least playable and cheap and plays on position we have only Luka.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,750

Post#323 » by dygaction » Mon May 20, 2024 7:44 pm

A comprehensive analysis on DJJ's future contract can be found here:
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2024/5/20/24160194/can-the-dallas-mavericks-retain-derrick-jones-jr

The best case scenario for the Mavs imo would be signing DJJ to the remaining tax MLE on 1+1, $5.18M for 2025 and player option at $5.44M for 26. Then DJJ opt out second year and re-sign early bird right to a four year $61M deal as long as he proves his value over another year. This allows THJ+asset+picks for anther upgrade, but it may take away DJJ's playtime or even starting position depending on who would be available and how the 25 season plays out.

If there is not enough trust or ambitious to help the team, his agent may not allow 1+1 to happen. Mavs may have to skip 1+1 and make full MLE available, which essentially requires trade THJ+a 2nd for nothing for cap space and roster management. That will be $55.3M/4yr. This way, I don't see Mavs going to be a strong title contender next year as you know OKC has tons of asset to upgrade and Edwards/McDaniels are developing...
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#324 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 20, 2024 8:16 pm

dygaction wrote:A comprehensive analysis on DJJ's future contract can be found here:
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2024/5/20/24160194/can-the-dallas-mavericks-retain-derrick-jones-jr

The best case scenario for the Mavs imo would be signing DJJ to the remaining tax MLE on 1+1, $5.18M for 2025 and player option at $5.44M for 26. Then DJJ opt out second year and re-sign early bird right to a four year $61M deal as long as he proves his value over another year. This allows THJ+asset+picks for anther upgrade, but it may take away DJJ's playtime or even starting position depending on who would be available and how the 25 season plays out.

If there is not enough trust or ambitious to help the team, his agent may not allow 1+1 to happen. Mavs may have to skip 1+1 and make full MLE available, which essentially requires trade THJ+a 2nd for nothing for cap space and roster management. That will be $55.3M/4yr. This way, I don't see Mavs going to be a strong title contender next year as you know OKC has tons of asset to upgrade and Edwards/McDaniels are developing...

I disagree Mavs won't be a strong title contender next year. This year we had PJ/Gaff for 30 something games, next year we will have them for 82. That alone is an upgrade, I believe we will be a top 3 seed maybe even #1. If you took our W/L record since the trade deadline and did the math over 82 games we would have won 60 games and been the #1 seed.

THJ being off the team would be addition by subtraction, O-Max might develop into something, we will get year 2 Lively instead of rookie. Yes it would be ideal if we could add another scorer, but here we are in the WCF without that right now.

This team is in the WCF without a healthy Luka, imagine a healthy Luka next year. We will be very difficult to handle for any team.

Kidd admitted Mavs should have been using PJ more on offense in the season. Just figuring that out is an upgrade. He can be our #3 scorer which teams need.

Upgrading can have different meaning not just trading for someone. I just gave several examples of how we can/will upgrade without trading for anyone. We know we're one of the best defensive teams with two great scorers, that will always have us in the mix for contenders.
Jg41
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#325 » by Jg41 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:11 am

This would be difficult to swing practically, but ideal in theory: Gafford / ‘25 1st (Unprotected) / ‘31 1st (Top 5 protected) ===> NOP ===> H. Jones

Then follow it up with: Green / THJ / (4) 2nd Rd Picks / ‘26 1st Rd Swap / ~7.3M Cash ===> ORL ===> W. Carter Jr.

Use the space to sign DJJ to the full 4 year MLE and bring back Kief on the vet min.

PG: L. Doncic (35) / D. Exum (10)
SG: K. Irving (35) / J. Hardy (20) / A. Lawson
SF: H. Jones (30) / D. Jones Jr. (20) / O. Prosper
PF: P. Washington Jr. (30) / M. Kleber (15) / M. Morris
C: D. Lively (25) / W. Carter Jr. (20) / D. Powell
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#326 » by Teffer10 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:41 am

Jg41 wrote:This would be difficult to swing practically, but ideal in theory: Gafford / ‘25 1st (Unprotected) / ‘31 1st (Top 5 protected) ===> NOP ===> H. Jones

Then follow it up with: Green / THJ / (4) 2nd Rd Picks / ‘26 1st Rd Swap / ~7.3M Cash ===> ORL ===> W. Carter Jr.

Use the space to sign DJJ to the full 4 year MLE and bring back Kief on the vet min.

I dont see any reason to replace Jones in the starting lineup.
The starters are solid and now all we need is a solid scorer and a solid wing to come off the bench.
We basically just need to upgrade from Green and THJ.
I think one of Hardy or Prosper can step into one of those roles and succeed.
Move Green and THJ (and Exum if needed) for whatever they can to upgrade one of those two needs.

My biggest concern is that we'll waste half the season with Kidd trying to fit the square pegs of THJ and Green into a round hole while Hardy and Prosper get no development time.

I think the time will come when we will try to move Gafford but I dont think this offseason is the time to do it.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,130

Post#327 » by daoneandonly » Tue May 21, 2024 11:05 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Jg41 wrote:This would be difficult to swing practically, but ideal in theory: Gafford / ‘25 1st (Unprotected) / ‘31 1st (Top 5 protected) ===> NOP ===> H. Jones

I dont see any reason to replace Jones in the starting lineup.
The starters are solid and now all we need is a solid scorer and a solid wing to come off the bench.
We basically just need to upgrade from Green and THJ.
I think one of Hardy or Prosper can step into one of those roles and succeed.
Move Green and THJ (and Exum if needed) for whatever they can to upgrade one of those two needs.

My biggest concern is that we'll waste half the season with Kidd trying to fit the square pegs of THJ and Green into a round hole while Hardy and Prosper get no development time.

I think the time will come when we will try to move Gafford but I dont think this offseason is the time to do it.

Yes chemistry matters as well. We have to have a team that knows each other well to be successful. I think retaining DJJ is paramount. The only tweak to the SL I'd make is give Lively the keys, and Gaff will get plenty of time backing him up.

Agree as well that green and THJ should be the ones to go. One should be traded for a player who makes less so we can open up more money for DJJ. The other for maybe a more reliable PG since Exum is inconsistent and constantly out
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#328 » by dygaction » Tue May 21, 2024 9:00 pm

if you do not drop THJ for basically free, Mavs only have tax MLE to offer, no full MLE.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#329 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 22, 2024 7:30 pm

For some reason I'm not convinced they're going to get rid of THJ. His ppg and shooting percentage were identical this year and last year, yet they didn't trade him last summer. The only thing that fell off was he's down 3% on 3 point percentage.

I would be really pissed though if they didn't trade THJ and lost Jones because of it. But I'm not sure if there's a team out there that wants THJ into their cap space for a 2nd rounder anyway, maybe maybe not. That's the only way we're going to have more salary to pay DJJ.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,221

Post#330 » by Mavrelous » Wed May 22, 2024 7:43 pm

They didn't trade him because they couldn't trade him, the plan was to trade him, off season moves pointed clearly to that direction.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#331 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 22, 2024 7:47 pm

Mavrelous wrote:They didn't trade him because they couldn't trade him, the plan was to trade him, off season moves pointed clearly to that direction.

Which just makes it dumber that they gave him an extension in 2021. Why do Mavs love throw ins from trades so much? Him and Powell were both throw ins, Powell from Rondo trade a decade ago. Those guys usually don't get extensions with the team they get thrown in with.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,221

Post#332 » by Mavrelous » Wed May 22, 2024 7:49 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:They didn't trade him because they couldn't trade him, the plan was to trade him, off season moves pointed clearly to that direction.

Which just makes it dumber that they gave him an extension in 2021. Why do Mavs love throw ins from trades so much? Him and Powell were both throw ins, Powell from Rondo trade a decade ago. Those guys usually don't get extensions with the team they get thrown in with.

That was low key the biggest mistake Nico made, it was totally unforced...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#333 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 22, 2024 7:56 pm

Well I hope they don't give him another cheaper extension, otherwise we know he'll at least be gone after 1 more season.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#334 » by dygaction » Wed May 22, 2024 8:08 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:For some reason I'm not convinced they're going to get rid of THJ. His ppg and shooting percentage were identical this year and last year, yet they didn't trade him last summer. The only thing that fell off was he's down 3% on 3 point percentage.

I would be really pissed though if they didn't trade THJ and lost Jones because of it. But I'm not sure if there's a team out there that wants THJ into their cap space for a 2nd rounder anyway, maybe maybe not. That's the only way we're going to have more salary to pay DJJ.

THJ last year was a big negative, two year bad contract on a losing team. Now he is at least neutral or slightly positive, as an expiring allows teams to shed salaries on players with long-term contracts that don't fit their timeline or culture. That's when you want a trade. For no player in return situation, he is a playable player that can allow well under cap teams to cruise until next summer waiting for the next big fish, such as Jazz/Pistons/Hornets/Wizards. The last two are Mavs frequent trading partners. Also Carlisle has his original user manual and may want give him another chance.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,130

Post#335 » by daoneandonly » Wed May 22, 2024 10:16 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

For some reason, this team has a history of giving SG's bad contracts. I know he's Dallas royalty in some ways, but Michael Finley's deal was bad, so much so that they used the amnesty on him. Then Wes Matthews, THJ, and most recently, Josh Green. I dont understand why?
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#336 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 22, 2024 10:21 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

For some reason, this team has a history of giving SG's bad contracts. I know he's Dallas royalty in some ways, but Michael Finley's deal was bad, so much so that they used the amnesty on him. Then Wes Matthews, THJ, and most recently, Josh Green. I dont understand why?

We really haven't a good one since prime Finley other than Jet (who also was pg sometimes).

Old Vince Carter, Monte Ellis, OJ Mayo were some of the best ones which is kind of sad.

Although Kyrie might be considered a shooting guard now despite being always considered a point guard. He would be the best we've had since Jet and the GOAT Rolando Blackman.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,949

Post#337 » by arkuo » Thu May 23, 2024 4:50 am

Would Pascal Siakam make sense for this team? I understand he's a free agent so a S&T would have to be worked out.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#338 » by dygaction » Sun May 26, 2024 10:28 pm

arkuo wrote:Would Pascal Siakam make sense for this team? I understand he's a free agent so a S&T would have to be worked out.

He would be the clear 3rd best player if not tied 2nd, but he will demand max and Mavs should not give up too much depth for him. Then they will have to entertain the ideal of paying a lot of luxury tax soon
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#339 » by dygaction » Sun May 26, 2024 10:33 pm

Did not realize Jalen McDaniels at TOR is Jaden's elder brother. Also 6'9 and athletic. Offensively appears to have some upside in handling and creating own shot compared to DJJ. If he can be had as close to league min as a sf/sg backup, likely Luka and Kyrie can get him a new career like what happened to DJJ.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#340 » by Teffer10 » Mon May 27, 2024 10:20 am

ChipotleWest wrote:For some reason I'm not convinced they're going to get rid of THJ. His ppg and shooting percentage were identical this year and last year, yet they didn't trade him last summer. The only thing that fell off was he's down 3% on 3 point percentage.

The problem is that THJ will be worth more in a trade at the TDL so they might hold off until then.
Our number 1 priority in the offseason should be to do whatever it takes to re-sign Jones.
Our starting core is as good as anyone in the league.
If we lose DJJ for any reason, they should give OMax every reasonable opportunity to fill that role with Maxi as the backup plan.

I wouldn't mind us grabbing Jalen Bridges in the draft to develop similar as OMax this past season.
Not near the defender of OMax but the guy can flat out shoot and could become a nice 3D off the bench.
He's the same age as Green so it might not take him long to develop.

And Fudge is one of the most athletic players in the NBA so it would be cool for him to develop some BB skills next season.

Return to Dallas Mavericks