ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Wizards (Tonight. 7:00 PM ET)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Wizards (Tonight. 7:00 PM ET) 

Post#41 » by Michaellam1987 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:32 am

A win over WAS has nothing to celebrate with. Luka continue to struggle against arguably the worst defense in the league.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#42 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:40 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:Green has been so disappointing. 0 points, 1 assist as the secondary ball handler in the starting lineup so far. Clanking open shots and Jones has been blowing by him quite a bit. C'mon man.

Yeah, he's really strugling this year...instead of making the next step,become more consistent ,he looks lost out there

Exactly, dude is a bum. Massive mistake drafting him, and even bigger mistake extending him. He's showing his true lack of character by stop trying to get better after getting his guarantee.

But there will be poster's calling him an elite role player, worth every penny, and an awesome +/-
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#43 » by kacey ring » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:44 am

Took care of business tonight. Hard to react too much as the Wizards are awful.

Wish the Mavs were back in Dallas to end the week. I miss them EVERY time I’m in town.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#44 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:53 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:A win over WAS has nothing to celebrate with. Luka continue to struggle against arguably the worst defense in the league.

I don't know. After yesterday's disaster, away back2back, without Kyrie and Washington winning last 3. Pretty solid win.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,184

Post#45 » by GermanFan120 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:20 am

Now I can sleep better tonight since we didn't lose to the worst team of all time. :D
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,613

Post#46 » by Maverick41 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:24 am

Green with 0 pts and 1 assist in 37 minutes as the secondary ballhandler in the starting lineup is just mind bogglingly bad. The guy right across the court, Avdija has almost the exact same contract extension as him (just +1 yr) and there's zero doubt for me how much better he looks.

He needs to get it together and at least be at last year's level. Especially if THJ misses any time with an injury.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#47 » by Maverick41 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:51 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:A win over WAS has nothing to celebrate with. Luka continue to struggle against arguably the worst defense in the league.

A win is always something to celebrate. Minimal celebration but a celebration nevertheless. Let's not try our best to be the most miserable fanbase on this site all the time.

To your other point, Luka played a solid game to me. Sure boxscore isn't up to his superstar standards but he was on fire to start, slowed down later but did a really good job of passing the ball. He generated a ton of opening looks and dunks/layups. Also his defense activity was good and he played hard. At one point he hustled to fly out of bounds to save the ball and possession. You don't see that from him often, let alone most superstars. I don't mind Luka having a stinker shooting wise every now and then but I do mind when he doesn't play hard. This one he played hard and I'm happy with that.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,037

Post#48 » by Apz » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:47 am

Nice to get some more court time for the bench those 2 games for different reasons.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#49 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:03 am

Maverick41 wrote:Green with 0 pts and 1 assist in 37 minutes as the secondary ballhandler in the starting lineup is just mind bogglingly bad. The guy right across the court, Avdija has almost the exact same contract extension as him (just +1 yr) and there's zero doubt for me how much better he looks.

He needs to get it together and at least be at last year's level. Especially if THJ misses any time with an injury.

It looks to me that Josh is overwhelmed with direct competition in his team. He sees DJJ and Exum being much better than him and just can't answer the challenge. Exum came back better, because he had great coach in Belgrade, who taught him how to play the game. And now you can see how composed and comfortable Exum is and how erratic Josh is. Exum has fundamentals and Josh hasn't.

If Exum develops better 3 pointer, he would be Mavs top 5 player on extremely cheap contract.
Josh becomes extremely tradeable in that case, because Mavs should get bigger player instead of Josh.

Someone will have to teach some post moves to Grant. He just can't score in the paint although having big body. At the moment he shouldn't do anything else than shooting open 3s.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#50 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:16 am

Bob8 wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:Green with 0 pts and 1 assist in 37 minutes as the secondary ballhandler in the starting lineup is just mind bogglingly bad. The guy right across the court, Avdija has almost the exact same contract extension as him (just +1 yr) and there's zero doubt for me how much better he looks.

It looks to me that Josh is overwhelmed with direct competition in his team. He sees DJJ and Exum being much better than him and just can't answer the challenge. Exum came back better, because he had great coach in Belgrade, who taught him how to play the game. And now you can see how composed and comfortable Exum is and how erratic Josh is. Exum has fundamentals and Josh hasn't. If Exum develops better 3 pointer, he would be Mavs top 5 player on extremely cheap contract.

Someone will have to teach some post moves to Grant. He just can't score in the paint although having big body. At the moment he shouldn't do anything else than shooting open 3s.

The main difference between those 2 is that Exum is looking for his shot whereas Josh is almost avoiding it and pretty much only taking corner 3s. Quite different to last years version. He seems to be more focused on just swinging the ball on to the next guy unless he's spotted up for a corner 3.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#51 » by Maverick41 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:21 am

Bob8 wrote:It looks to me that Josh is overwhelmed with direct competition in his team. He sees DJJ and Exum being much better than him and just can't answer the challenge. Exum came back better, because he had great coach in Belgrade, who taught him how to play the game. And now you can see how composed and comfortable Exum is and how erratic Josh is. Exum has fundamentals and Josh hasn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if Exum supplants Green on the rotation at some point if Green continues to have games like these. Exum has been a brightspot on this team and has constantly been a positive. I really what he's done for us so far.
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#52 » by Michaellam1987 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:01 am

Maverick41 wrote:

A win is always something to celebrate. Minimal celebration but a celebration nevertheless. Let's not try our best to be the most miserable fanbase on this site all the time.

To your other point, Luka played a solid game to me. Sure boxscore isn't up to his superstar standards but he was on fire to start, slowed down later but did a really good job of passing the ball. He generated a ton of opening looks and dunks/layups. Also his defense activity was good and he played hard. At one point he hustled to fly out of bounds to save the ball and possession. You don't see that from him often, let alone most superstars. I don't mind Luka having a stinker shooting wise every now and then but I do mind when he doesn't play hard. This one he played hard and I'm happy with that.

My point is just hoping the team is not satified and stay hunger. If we are facing playoff team with better team defense today, it could be an automatic loss because it is very possible that THJ will get 13 points instead of 31 points.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#53 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:02 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

It looks to me that Josh is overwhelmed with direct competition in his team. He sees DJJ and Exum being much better than him and just can't answer the challenge. Exum came back better, because he had great coach in Belgrade, who taught him how to play the game. And now you can see how composed and comfortable Exum is and how erratic Josh is. Exum has fundamentals and Josh hasn't. If Exum develops better 3 pointer, he would be Mavs top 5 player on extremely cheap contract.

The main difference between those 2 is that Exum is looking for his shot whereas Josh is almost avoiding it and pretty much only taking corner 3s. Quite different to last years version. He seems to be more focused on just swinging the ball on to the next guy unless he's spotted up for a corner 3.

The main differences are in fundamentals. Exum plays like Pg, always in control and composed, can be used as ball handler in half court situations and is capable of pretty solid drives too. Josh is capable only in some open court situations and corner 3 shooting. The difference in skills between those 2 is enormous.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#54 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:05 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

My point is just hoping the team is not satified and stay hunger. If we are facing playoff team with better team defense today, it could be an automatic loss because it is very possible that THJ will get 13 points instead of 31 points.

Sure, but he wouldn't need to score 31, if Kyrie was playing.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#55 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:18 am

Thanks God Lively is much more ready than everybody expected. This is a blessing.

Exum and THJ are still better than overhyped Green and Hardy. By far.

DJJ is solid and if his 3s will go home like those games he is an NBA starter (thanks to Luka obviously).

I would like too see more Holmes than that useless hit in the face scrub but i think Kidd is scared because if RH plays good then DP will be bury on the bench forever and it's bad. For him, not for the Mavs.

Wizards are really bad, Kuzma and Poole are the worst pair of stars (ouch they are not stars obviously) that a team can have. Garbage team.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 862

Post#56 » by Teffer10 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:48 am

I still think Josh is a really good BB player but just needs a new change of scene.
He has shined the most on this team without Luka and for some odd reason he just isnt a fit even though he fits perfectly on paper.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Mavs are considering a Josh for DFS swap when Josh is available to be traded because I have a feeling they want to reunite DFS with this team.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#57 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:27 pm

Teffer10 wrote:I still think Josh is a really good BB player but just needs a new change of scene.
He has shined the most on this team without Luka and for some odd reason he just isnt a fit even though he fits perfectly on paper.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Mavs are considering a Josh for DFS swap when Josh is available to be traded because I have a feeling they want to reunite DFS with this team.

I actually proposed a variation of that on the Trade board and the general consensus was DFS has much more value than Green, where some even feel Green on his new contract is no longer positive value. Something I think most would agree with except those wearing Mavs goggles still thinking we made the right pick and Josh is an elite role player.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,927

Post#58 » by Dirk » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:35 pm

60/21/10
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#59 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:06 pm

Not really related to this game but got nowhere better to post. A few statistical observations on the Mavs for the season so far:
#2 offense (points scored) behind Indiana
#2 in 3P FGA per game behind Boston
#1 in 3P FGM per game
#1 in 3P FG %
#5 in TO PG
#6 in FG %

Now the bad stuff
#22 in total defense (ppg allowed)
#24 in FT % at a measly 73%
#22 in RPG
#23 in BPG
#26 in SPG

It really reinforces what the eyeball test already tells us. We desperately need another defensive and rebounding big for the non-Lively minutes and that should look far better. Offense is on fire, especially from deep.
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#60 » by Michaellam1987 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:07 pm

Bob8 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

The main differences are in fundamentals. Exum plays like Pg, always in control and composed, can be used as ball handler in half court situations and is capable of pretty solid drives too. Josh is capable only in some open court situations and corner 3 shooting. The difference in skills between those 2 is enormous.

It sounds odd, I think we need to set some screens for Green so that he can have some straight line drive, just like what we do to create some space for THJ to shoot 3 ball, so as to boost Green's confidence a little bit. DJJ's game actually is quite similar to Green, except he is longer than Green, and DJJ obviously is having high confidence right now.

Return to Dallas Mavericks