ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Clippers (Nov 10 - Tournament Game)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,226

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Clippers (Nov 10 - Tournament Game) 

Post#61 » by Archx » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:05 pm

Mavrelous wrote:We crap on Kidd a lot, myself included, but he saw DJJ was better fit than Green, stuck with him despite disasterous 1st quarter against SAS, and he's playing better than MLE guys, and he seems to love playing with Luka/Kyrie and they lije him also.

As someone who wanted DJJ on this team before they signed him, i am actually surprised of his performance. I thought he would be a valuable 10-15 minutes guy but Kidd did "discover" a gem. I wish he would give him constant minutes not like he's usually doing with players like him. One game 30 mins next game 15.

Luckily Green has a good contract, if it doesn't work out there is still a trade that Mavs can exploit.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,000

Post#62 » by Mavrelous » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:08 pm

Archx wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:We crap on Kidd a lot, myself included, but he saw DJJ was better fit than Green, stuck with him despite disasterous 1st quarter against SAS, and he's playing better than MLE guys, and he seems to love playing with Luka/Kyrie and they lije him also.

As someone who wanted DJJ on this team before they signed him, i am actually surprised of his performance. I thought he would be a valuable 10-15 minutes guy but Kidd did "discovered" a gem. I wish he would give him constant minutes not like he's usually doing with players like him. One game 30 mins next game 15.

Luckily Green has a good contract, if it doesn't work out there is still a trade that Mavs can exploit.

All I knew about him is thst he's athletic freak, but both Blazers and Bulls fans mentioned he's not that good defensively, which seems wild, dude is a glove and generates many steals and blocks, if only he could shoot...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#63 » by daoneandonly » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:19 pm

Awesome game, wonderful to see how they were amped up.

Also, finally nice to see people seeing what I was saying about Green all along. Wish we didn't extend him as we're stuck with him for a while now. Bum git his guarantee and now back to rookie Josh
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,245

Post#64 » by BeiBeau » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:19 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Luka e Kyrie god mode for the W, we needed Luka in the 4th because Clips bench half cutted the distance. Bad. Very bad.
DJJ solid again, another Luka miracle.

Btw destroy the Clips is always a good thing.

But we desperately need another C(or a solid 4/5), Lively is good but raw and Powell... I mean, he is Powell :lol:
The former worst starting C of the history and now he is trying hard to become the worst backup C too.

Luckily for his lawyers garbage time exists so he can put numbers on the boxscore because when there was a game he was disastrous.

O-Max is unplayble.
Green horrible again.
Hardy is a THJ 2.0 right now.

OMax is clearly very nervous on the court in the first quarter because he doesn’t not expect playing time. But when in the 4th quarter, he looks more comfortable. And that offensive rebound is what we need, he jumps so high and so strong. Just need more on court experience.

OMax had some really good on ball defensive possessions that won’t show up in the box score. Including when he was called for a foul while harden was shooting a 3 in the 1st, that was not a foul.

The refs were calling EVERYTHING a foul last night. Including a **** ton of stuff that wasn’t a foul. Green, Grant, and Lively were all being punished for that.
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#65 » by kacey ring » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:21 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:I hope Omax works on his game and develops...Mavs could use a guy his size to become a valuable rotation player

Btw,Luka growing mustache is funny :lol: ...he should complement them with the Rick Barry or Larry Bird hairstyle :lol:

:lol:

He needs to commit to that mustache a little more. Lose the rest of the beard and let that thing shine!
Archx
RealGM

Post#66 » by Archx » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:26 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Awesome game, wonderful to see how they were amped up.

Also, finally nice to see people seeing what I was saying about Green all along. Wish we didn't extend him as we're stuck with him for a while now. Bum git his guarantee and now back to rookie Josh

You still don't get it. Green can be a trade asset. You don't resign him and you basically lose the only thing other teams want besides Hardy. Why you think Suns were forced to extend Ayton? They could have just let him walk to Pacers even though they knew he didn't want to be in PHX anymore. At least they got something back...

Same thing with Green, they don't give him a conctract and he walks for nothing. Teams have shown their interest in him and now if it doesn't work out Mavs can at least get something back.
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#67 » by kacey ring » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:26 pm

Mavrelous wrote:I'm dying...
Read on Twitter
?s=20

:lol: :lol:

That’s hilarious.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#68 » by BeiBeau » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:26 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:

As someone who wanted DJJ on this team before they signed him, i am actually surprised of his performance. I thought he would be a valuable 10-15 minutes guy but Kidd did "discovered" a gem. I wish he would give him constant minutes not like he's usually doing with players like him. One game 30 mins next game 15.

All I knew about him is thst he's athletic freak, but both Blazers and Bulls fans mentioned he's not that good defensively, which seems wild, dude is a glove and generates many steals and blocks, if only he could shoot...

I mean he’s shooting 37% from 3 which is 7% higher than his career average and up 4% from last season. We were right to question him as a starter to begin with but if the dude hits his open shots he hits open shots. His calling card has always been his defense and athleticism.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#69 » by BeiBeau » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:30 pm

Archx wrote:

You still don't get it. Green can be a trade asset. You don't resign him and you basically lose the only thing other teams want besides Hardy. Why you think Suns were forced to extend Ayton? They could have just let him walk to Pacers even though they knew he didn't want to be in PHX anymore. At least they got something back...

Same thing with Green, they don't give him a conctract and he walks for nothing. Teams have shown their interest in him and now if it doesn't work out Mavs can at least get something back.

We can also chill a bit. Grant was way worse than Josh in the last 2 games, and besides it’s 9 games into the season nothing is set in stone. He looks worse than he is right now because Green is the one guy that Dallas asks to do a little bit of everything and he’s overthinking.

If Dallas wants him to look good then they need to define his role just like they have done for everyone else. But we all know Kidd. Kidd might be thinking idc we’re winning.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#70 » by daoneandonly » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:46 pm

Archx wrote:

Unless the rules changed, its you that doesn't get it. If we didn't extend him, we could trade him today, tomorrow, he'll before yesterday's tip off. Now we can't.

Yea, I'm sure once he is trade eligible teams will be lining up to pay Below Average Josh 14 mil a year
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#71 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:47 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
Archx wrote:

We can also chill a bit. Grant was way worse than Josh in the last 2 games, and besides it’s 9 games into the season nothing is set in stone. He looks worse than he is right now because Green is the one guy that Dallas asks to do a little bit of everything and he’s overthinking.

If Dallas wants him to look good then they need to define his role just like they have done for everyone else. But we all know Kidd. Kidd might be thinking idc we’re winning.

https://stathead.com/tiny/Z3idj

The difference is huge. Grant with incredible 72 TS%. Josh is having disastrous season not only in comparison to Grant but in comparison to his last year too. Everyone expected another jump but he's worse in everything. And it doesn't look like small sample size, more or less everyone with playing time has much bigger "balls" than him, difficult to improve with attitude like that.

And if you look only at last 2 games. Josh was -36 and Grant -1.
Archx
RealGM

Post#72 » by Archx » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:08 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:

Unless the rules changed, its you that doesn't get it. If we didn't extend him, we could trade him today, tomorrow, he'll before yesterday's tip off. Now we can't.

Yea, I'm sure once he is trade eligible teams will be lining up to pay Below Average Josh 14 mil a year

If you can't trade a 22yo athletic 3&D guy on a 13M contract, then you don't deserve to be NBA GM. Also, sometimes it's even easier to move 10-15M range contracts instead of cheaper ones.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#73 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:11 pm

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:

If you can't trade a 22yo athletic 3&D guy on a 13M contract, then you don't deserve to be NBA GM. Also, sometimes it's even easier to move 10-15M range contracts instead of cheaper ones.

They will trade him, but it's very unlikely we would get player like Ayton or Capela in return. If I remember right both Suns and Hawks wanted to include Josh in the trade package. Mavs with Ayton would be only one big wing defender away from being a contender. With DJJ and Exum Mavs have no need for Josh.
Archx
RealGM

Post#74 » by Archx » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:21 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

They will trade him, but it's very unlikely we would get player like Ayton or Capela in return. If I remember right both Suns and Hawks wanted to include Josh in the trade package. Mavs with Ayton would be only one big wing defender away from being a contender. With DJJ and Exum Mavs have no need for Josh.

I'm not even sure if Mavs would want Capela at this point. But if they do trade someone, it will likely be Maxi and Green in some kind of a package for another wing. Holmes could also be included in any deal.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#75 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:28 pm

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

I'm not even sure if Mavs would want Capela at this point. But if they do trade someone, it will likely be Maxi and Green in some kind of a package for another wing. Holmes could also be included in any deal.

I admit that Lively is far better than I expected from him, but Mavs need another C desperately. Lively playing 20 minutes as backup or having another useful C as his backup would make wonders for Mavs record. Lively/Powell pairing is still 1 of the worst in Nba.

Mavs are 27th in DREB % and 28th in opponents points in the paint. They're saved by offense.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#76 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:32 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:

Yup, and a 22 yo athletic 3&D guy signed to a team friendly long term contract has more value than the same 22 yo athletic 3&D wing on a rookie contract who can walk for free within 18 months.
Archx
RealGM

Post#77 » by Archx » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:36 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I admit that Lively is far better than I expected from him, but Mavs need another C desperately. Lively playing 20 minutes as backup or having another useful C as his backup would make wonders for Mavs record. Lively/Powell pairing is still 1 of the worst in Nba.

Yeah i guess you're right. Lively still has moments when i say to myself "ehh he's still just a rookie". Will be interesting to see what Mavs do at the trade deadline. Hopefully something smart for a change.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#78 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:39 pm

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Yeah i guess you're right. Lively still has moments when i say to myself "ehh he's still just a rookie". Will be interesting to see what Mavs do at the trade deadline. Hopefully something smart for a change.

Mavs being 1 of the worst defensive teams and still having 7/2 record tells us everything. They're 2nd in OFFRTG. The best in 3pts made and 3pts%.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#79 » by daoneandonly » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:14 pm

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:

So what are the extension trade rules? Can he be traded now? That's my point, I thought the extension now makes him ineligible.

And stop rounding down, the average is closer to 14 than 13.
Archx
RealGM

Post#80 » by Archx » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:50 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

So what are the extension trade rules? Can he be traded now? That's my point, I thought the extension now makes him ineligible.

And stop rounding down, the average is closer to 14 than 13.

14M and 13M is still within the trade salary cap limits, so it doesn't matter. Green's extension kicks in only next season, so if they want to trade him now, they would need to find someone with similar contract which is around 5M. So techincally, Green is still on a rookie contract this season.

Return to Dallas Mavericks