ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Suns (Feb 22., 730PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 95

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Suns (Feb 22., 730PMEST) 

Post#61 » by MassimoPayne » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:43 am

The difference between the mistakes from Green and Hardaway is, that Green tries to do well in defense. Green is young and can develop and get rid of bad decision making. Hardaway does not develop **** anymore. He probabaly develops more bad habits the older he gets
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#62 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:45 am

I love this team. We are damn good.

PJ played awesome against KD, he is the perfect glue guy. Underrated trade... But has to improve this bad 3points %.

Luka-Irving is the best backcourt in the league. Fact.
I'm sorry for the haters.

What an impressive W.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Post#63 » by tleikheen » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:56 am

What I Like about the Mavs/Suns game ......

Luka and Kyrie 70 pts between them against a top team like Phoenix .
PJ Washington ...... 31 minutes played. Though modest in offense he helped hold Phoenix 4 1/2 pts below their team avg
7 game win streak before going on east coast trip

What I didnt like about Mavs/Suns game. .....

Gafford with ONLY 17 minutes yet an impactful plus 11 pts. He had the best block of the game on Booker.
Lively with ONLY 16 minutes ,this is the 2nd half of the season and his play doesnt warrant a reduction of playing time.
Maxi ... 26 mins ,it feels like we're seeing DPowell replay #2. This is not 2022 ,he hasnt earned the benefit of doubt this yr
JKidds rotations, Go big , get a lead ,play small lose the lead. The Center belongs to Gaff & Lively not Maxi .Mavs can be dangerous.
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#64 » by MassimoPayne » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:01 am

I don't think right now is the time for gambling the minutes. C is clearly Gaff/Lively. One of them has to be on the floor. Even if Maxi is making every shot. Maxi can get minutes when PJ is on the bench. DJJ is backup for Small Forward, not Power Forward. Play the minutes old school and don't try too much small ball. We are already playing with two PGs.
AJace
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#65 » by AJace » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:57 am

Agreed with the above 2 posters. I mean, it's probably a moot point because of the win but it felt like it was Dallas who was forced to adjust to Phoenix playing without a center instead of the other way around. The center position is a strength now that we can basically field a rim-running, shot-blocking big for the entire game. Luka now has a luxury of always having a lob option at all times. Despite the added size, Kidd still seems to fall back into his small ball habit. Otherwise, that's my only gripe. That was a good win against a contender. Kyrie and Luka can go toe to toe with every duo in the league. The rest of the guys will just have to do their job in defending and rebounding and we now have that too.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,935

Post#66 » by arkuo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:03 am

Impressive win. Suns were actually lucky that Beal was out. Having Grayson Allen play defense is way better than Beal's defense. If they had Beal on Doncic, Doncic would have scored 50. Anyway, having Beal back for the Suns is just two steps back. Beal, Booker and KD makes then the Brooklyn Nets of the west. I believe Phoenix has a tougher schedule to end the season compared to the Mavs schedule, and the Mavs just "leapfrogged" them today. They'll see what Bradley Beal can do on defense for their remaining games.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,152

Post#67 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:24 am

Great game. Luka is an animal and it becomes more evident when he has a decent D around.
Now this team can have one more bad defender around with Luka but not two. So when Kyrie is on the court with Luka, we shouldnt add THj or Hardy to the mix.

I like Green/DJJ on SF position. They are not small for that position but they are small for PF. So keep them at SF while having Gafford or Lively inside.

Congrats to Kidd as well. A week off and I think team is doing better. We must remember there are tons of new faces in this team. Cant expect coach to perfect everything so quickly.

One more note on Gafford and PJ, they fill the glaring holes of the roster but sometimes their habits showing off that they kinda get used to play for losing teams. There are small details on defense and some hustle plays that they may not experienced frequently in their previous teams. When the game is clutch or an intense playoff game, some stuff including the calls of the refs are changing. DFS was not so great defender but he kinda learned to keep up with the flow of the temse games, where he can pressure more without getting foul called. I think PJ especially will get better in time for that regard.

PHX fans must be very jealous as Mavs got Gafford for so cheap. Why didnt they go for him? Its bonkers. In playoffs, Nurkic cant play those 4th quarters. And small ball lineup sucks for defense and rebounding.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#68 » by daoneandonly » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:29 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:Big lineups with Gaff and PJ broke the game, Kidd then reverted to small ball... Luckily they held on the lead at least.

Yeah, with Gafford and Maxi/PJ at the 4 Mavs are big, Suns couldn't handle them.

Its so clear to anyone except Kidd, why the heck is this dude so stubborn? The guy was a genius on the court as a PG, and clueless now, it doesnt make any sense.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,225

Post#69 » by Archx » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:34 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:Big lineups with Gaff and PJ broke the game, Kidd then reverted to small ball... Luckily they held on the lead at least.

Yeah, with Gafford and Maxi/PJ at the 4 Mavs are big, Suns couldn't handle them.

Its so clear to anyone except Kidd, why the heck is this dude so stubborn? The guy was a genius on the court as a PG, and clueless now, it doesnt make any sense.

Yep agreed. Was funny though, as soon as he went small with THJ and Maxi, Suns got right back in the game in the 3rd Q :lol: He sure is a genius in his own special way.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#70 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:02 pm

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Yeah, with Gafford and Maxi/PJ at the 4 Mavs are big, Suns couldn't handle them.

Yep agreed. Was funny though, as soon as he went small with THJ and Maxi, Suns got right back in the game in the 3rd Q :lol: He sure is a genius in his own special way.

Mavs won another game despite Jason Kidd... We are really damn good :lol:
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#71 » by daoneandonly » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:16 pm

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Yeah, with Gafford and Maxi/PJ at the 4 Mavs are big, Suns couldn't handle them.

Happy with the W, but yeah Kidd needs to step it up for this team to be successful. Hopefully he can, the rotations should be fairly obvious

Luka/Exum
Kyrie/THJ/Hardy
DJJ or Green
PJ/Maxi/Omax
Lively/Gafford/Powell

The missing piece, where we should fill in is another ball handler. Obviously the available guys to sign arent special, but still need that body and skillset.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#72 » by daoneandonly » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:34 pm

Maverick41 wrote:Shoutout to PJ's defense which clearly affected opposing teams again. KD going 9-22 isn't normal. Even the makes were still heavily contested too. The contest he did on a wide open G. Allen layup in particular was great to see. Almost every other Mav would have just given up and let that go but he hustled and forced Allen into a wild attempt. Love to see.

Yea he's been solid. If the team can get him integrated into the offence more and feed him, could be an incredible piece.
MFT5
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#73 » by MFT5 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:08 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

kidd said en his postgame interview that he’s just trying rotations & adjusting minutes since the new guys change the dynamic of the team … i haven’t been a fan of kidd but he does seem to tinker en the regular season and actually coach en the POs
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#74 » by Marko_MFFL » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:48 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:The difference between the mistakes from Green and Hardaway is, that Green tries to do well in defense. Green is young and can develop and get rid of bad decision making. Hardaway does not develop **** anymore. He probabaly develops more bad habits the older he gets

Also, THJ is only thinking about shooting the ball, while Green do more things in offense.
Josh Green, especially lately, deserves much more praise than criticism.
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#75 » by Marko_MFFL » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:39 pm

Maxi also played great defense during the 2nd half. His contribution in this 7 wins series is big.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,152

Post#76 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:28 pm

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

There are things like team dynamics, chemistry and also involving players coming out from the injury.
If Maxi can get back to his 2022 playoffs performance he would be a huge asset for us.
I mean if there is TWolves matchup, I want Maxi to play against Gobert :lol:
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,184

Post#77 » by GermanFan120 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:41 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I love this team. We are damn good.

PJ played awesome against KD, he is the perfect glue guy. Underrated trade... But has to improve this bad 3points %.

What an impressive W.

Maybe you should stop calling other posters haters.

Perhaps there is no hater to begin with.

Just to give you an example: I loved seeing Kyrie dived to the crowd to save the ball, the question was never about his ability but rather his willingness. But I am sure I will hate Kyrie as soon as he acts dramatic and not willing to play hard again. And I think that's very fair and that doesn't make anyone a hater.

Now we are winning, and every fan is happy. Keep it positive even for a brief moment, can you?
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,184

Post#78 » by GermanFan120 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:44 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Mavs won another game despite Jason Kidd... We are really damn good :lol:

Stop hating on Kidd. He was not able to turn stone to diamond, sure. But neither was Steve Kerr or Pop.

We are on the longest winning streak I could remember for the past many many years, everyone should get some credits at least, such as Kidd, such as Nico, such as Cuban, such as Kyrie, such as Timmy, such as Green, such as Powell, such as Maxi etc etc.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 944

Post#79 » by Captain_Obvious » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:34 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:

What an impressive W.

Maybe you should stop calling other posters haters.

Perhaps there is no hater to begin with.

Just to give you an example: I loved seeing Kyrie dived to the crowd to save the ball, the question was never about his ability but rather his willingness. But I am sure I will hate Kyrie as soon as he acts dramatic and not willing to play hard again. And I think that's very fair and that doesn't make anyone a hater.

Now we are winning, and every fan is happy. Keep it positive even for a brief moment, can you?

hater mentality then, loser mentality?

I remember well the posts about Ky being very hard to trade and so on. It's more than just a bad take. Spewing out negativity non stop and now you can't call people out? Nah - they should know we won't forget
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,921

Post#80 » by Dirk » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:02 pm

What an impressive W.

Let go of 'the haters'.

Just enjoy good times for what they are.

60/21/10

Return to Dallas Mavericks