ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Raptors (730PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Raptors (730PMEST) 

Post#61 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:45 am

I'm feel more confortable with a C on the court for 48minutes. Block party tonight in Toronto.

Another solid game by PJ, he maked some 3s too.
Kyrie "Mr fourth quarter" Irving. Again.
Luka another day at work.

Luka-Kyrie-X-PJ-Lively is our best lineup.
Nico next summer has to fill that X.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,902

Post#62 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:51 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
tleikheen wrote:Maxi leads the mavs to another win by letting DLive and Gaff man the C spot tonight .

He's great delegator.
I still don't understand how Gafford got 7 minutes last night against the Cavs and Maxi got 27. Give Gafford 5 more of those minutes and I bet we win the game. But it should be Gafford 27 Maxi 7. Maxi is 32 years old and good for one three per night.
Well it's Kidd we're talking about so, there's no logic to it. No logic to him being the coach at all either.
Until they fix the coach this team wont' contend.

Why are you fixated on Maxi this much? He has been a solid rotation player for us. FO already paid him so Kidd might as well get him ready during the season.

Closing minutes of the Cavs game, Maxi blocked a shot and he was doing good on defensive assignments.
5-out offense helped us offensively that game. Its a strategy to get J.Allen out of the paint.

Lively-Gafford combined for a total of 29 minutes, -12.
Kleber played 27 minutes, -3.

If Mavs match up against Twolves, I bet we'll have stretches where we put Maxi against Gobert to mess up their defense.

This is taking +/- to a new level. It's already flawed to begin with because it just says if you were in the game or not and if your teammates do good you get credit if they do bad you get the blame, but you've taken it to a new level of combining Gafford's 7 minutes he got with Lively and doing a +/- off that? How is that fair to Gafford?

Yes Maxi is not completely useless (which is how I feel about THJ) but I hope they don't continue to play him over Gafford who is younger and has better stats. If Gafford is going to have the Javale McGee role then that's a waste. Remember that Maxi was on the injury list tonight against the Raptors so we'll just have to see. Tonight Gafford had 13 points and 7 rebounds, his average is 11 and 8. Maxi is 5 and 3. Those are career stats and Maxi has averaged 22 minutes per game while Gafford only 19.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#63 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:07 am

Maxi has never been a center, he is a PF who can play a few minutes at the C in particolar situation (clutch or small ball lineups), when we have injuries or in a game ( every 15/20 games ) where he is hot from 3.

27minutes is way too much.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,000

Post#64 » by Mavrelous » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:16 am

If Kyrie hits 18 straight FTs, and 8 straight shots then maintain 50% FG after it, he'd have 50/40/90 season, with great volume, the 50 is doable, the FTs will be tough.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 861

Post#65 » by Teffer10 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:52 am

41Dirk41 wrote:I'm feel more confortable with a C on the court for 48minutes. Block party tonight in Toronto.

I'd like to see some lineups of Maxi at PF with Lively, PJ, Green and Luka.
Kidd would never go for it because it would be considered a Jumbo lineup and that is a against his principles.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 861

Post#66 » by Teffer10 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:55 am

Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
You sure Green can knock down 3? lol

Don't take my word for it. He has decent percentages. But if you can a very strong defensive 2 way SF with size....you put him on the bench.

Are you joking? Green is shooting almost 42% from 3 this year, 2nd year in a row over 40%. He should close out games instead of THJ because he hustles, rebounds and at least attempts to play defense.

The Green hate around here is beyond laughable at times.
Dude has improved something in his game nearly every year and hustles more than anyone. But people call him lazy.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,152

Post#67 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:21 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:He's great delegator.
I still don't understand how Gafford got 7 minutes last night against the Cavs and Maxi got 27. Give Gafford 5 more of those minutes and I bet we win the game. But it should be Gafford 27 Maxi 7. Maxi is 32 years old and good for one three per night.
Well it's Kidd we're talking about so, there's no logic to it. No logic to him being the coach at all either.
Until they fix the coach this team wont' contend.

Why are you fixated on Maxi this much? He has been a solid rotation player for us. FO already paid him so Kidd might as well get him ready during the season.

Closing minutes of the Cavs game, Maxi blocked a shot and he was doing good on defensive assignments.
5-out offense helped us offensively that game. Its a strategy to get J.Allen out of the paint.

Lively-Gafford combined for a total of 29 minutes, -12.
Kleber played 27 minutes, -3.

If Mavs match up against Twolves, I bet we'll have stretches where we put Maxi against Gobert to mess up their defense.

This is taking +/- to a new level. It's already flawed to begin with because it just says if you were in the game or not and if your teammates do good you get credit if they do bad you get the blame, but you've taken it to a new level of combining Gafford's 7 minutes he got with Lively and doing a +/- off that? How is that fair to Gafford?

Yes Maxi is not completely useless (which is how I feel about THJ) but I hope they don't continue to play him over Gafford who is younger and has better stats. If Gafford is going to have the Javale McGee role then that's a waste. Remember that Maxi was on the injury list tonight against the Raptors so we'll just have to see. Tonight Gafford had 13 points and 7 rebounds, his average is 11 and 8. Maxi is 5 and 3. Those are career stats and Maxi has averaged 22 minutes per game while Gafford only 19.

Did you watch the game last night?
Did you understand the concept of playing 5-out lineup to have better offense?
Do you comprehend that playing Maxi helps you to take opponent rim-protector outside of the paint?

Mavs team lost the yesterdays game due to insanely lucky halfcourt shot. Before that Mitchell made some lucky 3 pt, and Cavs made lots of threes to come back while refs f'in Mavs on few possessions. Playing Maxi was not the issue.

I do not use +/- all the time, but since this was mostly focused on C minutes and there is a good difference suggesting Maxi was a better choice for yesterdays game, I put this here. The stat and eye-test showed that playing Maxi was not worse than playing Gafford for this particular game.

This does not mean Gafford will have a Mcgee role. Gafford is a better player than Mcgee anyway. Personally, I dont think Gafford proved himself to be starter C over Lively. One of those guys will be starting from the bench and this does not mean they're Mcgee. Its just Mavs having more options. I hated playing Powell-Maxi for C position exclusively due to not having a good C. Now Powell is out of rotation and Maxi will be used strategically in either PF or C.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#68 » by Mavrelous » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:23 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Don't take my word for it. He has decent percentages. But if you can a very strong defensive 2 way SF with size....you put him on the bench.

Are you joking? Green is shooting almost 42% from 3 this year, 2nd year in a row over 40%. He should close out games instead of THJ because he hustles, rebounds and at least attempts to play defense.

Dude has improved something in his game nearly every year and hustles more than anyone. But people call him lazy.

There's a frustration with him mainly with navigating screens, he repeatedly dies on screens and it kills the defensive possession, and he showed some spectacular games, but chooses to fade when Luka and Kyrie are playing, but I agree, ever since he came back from the elbow injury, he's been great, and legit starter.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:28 am

Teffer10 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:I'm feel more confortable with a C on the court for 48minutes. Block party tonight in Toronto.

I'd like to see some lineups of Maxi at PF with Lively, PJ, Green and Luka.
Kidd would never go for it because it would be considered a Jumbo lineup and that is a against his principles.

lol does Kidd have principles? :lol: :lol:
If you say this about Carlisle, Popovich, Thibs etc then its fine. I really dont think Kidd is an established coach that can claim to have such principles. Kidd will do whatever he can to win games. He hasn't been show offensive genius so when the game becomes stagnant he either goes for 3-guard lineups or playing 5-out with Maxi at C. I particularly hate when he use both 3 guards and also Maxi at C because we become so small, cant rebound or defend.

Toronto having Poetl, PHX having Nurkic are matchups that we need C for sure. Those Cs help their team with inside scoring and rebounding. Against Gobert-J.Allen, it might make sense to use Maxi at C for 15-20 minutes. Because those players are the most important piece for those teams defense. If you can dynamite a good defensive team via this strategy, then you should go for it. This strategy won the Mavs the Jazz playoff series.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:37 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Maxi has never been a center, he is a PF who can play a few minutes at the C in particolar situation (clutch or small ball lineups), when we have injuries or in a game ( every 15/20 games ) where he is hot from 3.

Maxi played 9 minutes in PF for the Cavs game. (Didnt work)
*Lively-Maxi together 5 minutes. OFFRTG- 70.0 DEFRTG- 166.7
*Gafford-Maxi together 4 minutes. OFFRTG- 50.0 DEFRTG- 112.5

Maxi played C 18 minutes at C for the Cavs game. (Worked well for this game)
*Maxi-PJ played together 17 minutes. OFFRTG- 154.1 DEFRTG- 122.9

Its a small sample size, but for this game, Maxi lineups offered better offense for sure. Maxi can play 15-20 minutes at C against specific matchups. I mean if it works why wouldn't Mavs use it? Devestate Cavs defense while not allowing points inside, blocking clutch shot. F'in Strus making seven 3s and halfcourt shot was the issue :roll:

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced?slug=advanced&TeamID=1610612742&GroupQuantity=2&SeasonSegment=Post+All-Star&OpponentTeamID=1610612739
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,227

Post#71 » by Archx » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:30 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:

There's a frustration with him mainly with navigating screens, he repeatedly dies on screens and it kills the defensive possession, and he showed some spectacular games, but chooses to fade when Luka and Kyrie are playing, but I agree, ever since he came back from the elbow injury, he's been great, and legit starter.

I actually like Green fighting over screens because he's probably the only one doing it, well Doncic goes over a lot of times aswell, but everyone else usually goes under and leaving their shooters open or simply give them too much space.

I don't know what Mavs coordinate (if anything) for that specific defensive possessions but if THJ fought like that vs Strus, i guarantee you that Strus wouldn't bomb those 3's so freely. In those screens or PnR sceenarios it's important that the other guy also knows how to either switch or navigate to help his primary guy who is fighting over a screen. Another great example is again Cavs game when Luka was fighting PnR action with THJ but THJ repeatedly messed it up because he had no clue how to get over a screen or properly recover to help Doncic out.

So all in all, i know it's easier to point out the f*ck ups but i don't see anyone from Mavs at least attempt to always fight defensive possessions like Green does. Maybe you could argue DJJ does to some extent and now PJ.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#72 » by Mavrelous » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:32 am

Archx wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:The Green hate around here is beyond laughable at times.

I actually like Green fighting over screens because he's probably the only one doing it, well Doncic goes over a lot of times aswell, but everyone else usually goes under and leaving their shooters open or simply give them too much space.

I don't know what Mavs coordinate (if anything) for that specific defensive possessions but if THJ fought like that vs Strus, i guarantee you that Strus wouldn't bomb those 3's so freely. In those screens or PnR sceenarios it's important that the other guy also knows how to either switch or navigate to help his primary guy who is fighting over a screen. Another great example is again Cavs game when Luka was fighting PnR action with THJ but THJ repeatedly messed it up because he had no clue how to get over a screen or properly recover to help Doncic out.

So all in all, i know it's easier to point out the f*ck ups but i don't see anyone from Mavs at least attempt to always fight defensive possessions like Green does. Maybe you could argue DJJ does to some extent and now PJ.

Green doesn't fight over screens, he dies on them, DJJ and Exum fight over them.
THJ and Luka should've just switched the screens, they constantly got stuck with one guy and the other shot the ball.
Archx
RealGM

Post#73 » by Archx » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:35 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

Green doesn't fight over screens, he dies on them, DJJ and Exum fight over them.
THJ and Luka should've just switched the screens, they constantly got stuck with one guy and the other shot the ball.

He's usually guarding best players if he has to navigate more screens it happens but he's not alone in that action. So in general i don't really agree.

About THJ and Luka guarding Strus, you literally have a video with the guy perfectly explaining the scenario, THJ messed up every single PnR action.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#74 » by Mavrelous » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:40 am

Archx wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:

He's usually guarding best players if he has to navigate more screens it happens but he's not alone in that action. So in general i don't really agree.

About THJ and Luka guarding Strus, you literally have a video with the guy perfectly explaining the scenario, THJ messed up every single PnR action.

This guy is a clown, he's all over criticizing every single coach in the league, including Spolestra and Pop.
If we don't know the scheme, we don't know who's at fault, what I see is 2 guys, one thinks switch and the other thinks stay with your guy, they weren't on the same page defensively.
Archx
RealGM

Post#75 » by Archx » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:47 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Green doesn't fight over screens, he dies on them, DJJ and Exum fight over them.

This guy is a clown, he's all over criticizing every single coach in the league, including Spolestra and Pop.
If we don't know the scheme, we don't know who's at fault, what I see is 2 guys, one thinks switch and the other thinks stay with your guy, they weren't on the same page defensively.

Yeah that's true but he made some really good points which a ton of people agreed with and i do aswell. THJ failed at basic stuff, things we learn in junior leagues.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:47 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Maxi has never been a center, he is a PF who can play a few minutes at the C in particolar situation (clutch or small ball lineups), when we have injuries or in a game ( every 15/20 games ) where he is hot from 3.

Maxi played 9 minutes in PF for the Cavs game. (Didnt work)
*Lively-Maxi together 5 minutes. OFFRTG- 70.0 DEFRTG- 166.7
*Gafford-Maxi together 4 minutes. OFFRTG- 50.0 DEFRTG- 112.5

Maxi played C 18 minutes at C for the Cavs game. (Worked well for this game)
*Maxi-PJ played together 17 minutes. OFFRTG- 154.1 DEFRTG- 122.9

Its a small sample size, but for this game, Maxi lineups offered better offense for sure. Maxi can play 15-20 minutes at C against specific matchups. I mean if it works why wouldn't Mavs use it? Devestate Cavs defense while not allowing points inside, blocking clutch shot. F'in Strus making seven 3s and halfcourt shot was the issue :roll:

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced?slug=advanced&TeamID=1610612742&GroupQuantity=2&SeasonSegment=Post+All-Star&OpponentTeamID=1610612739

Too much simple size indeed Luka and Kyrie (coff coff) went crazy in the 4/4 and Mavs OFFRTG is because them and probably not because a 4 point guy was on the court... But i've seen here someone call Powell a good offensive player so everything is possible.

Maxi is a good role player but we have size now, no need to much minutes with a small lineups.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:51 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

True :lol: :lol: :lol:

He is looks like a cat sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol:
Archx
RealGM

Post#78 » by Archx » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:55 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:

Still better than THJ :P

Read on Twitter
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:01 pm

Archx wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Green doesn't fight over screens, he dies on them, DJJ and Exum fight over them.

Still better than THJ :P

Read on Twitter

Sure, THJ is a ghost...
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,927

Post#80 » by Dirk » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:22 pm

OH MY GOD PJ WASHINGTON MAVS CAREER HIGHLIGHT REEL

I don't know what go to him, but Hornets fans scouting report did often highlight that he comes and goes as far as his "focus". I'd say he's generally always been engaged on D, but he definitely has a very low key/passive looking demeanour. Fingers crossed he has turned some kind of page and gets to hit the 3s with consistency.

Spoiler:

60/21/10

Return to Dallas Mavericks