Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 6

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,995

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 4 

Post#81 » by Mavrelous » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:49 pm

Dirk wrote:What's holding Luka back from looking different?

Missed free throws, complaining to the refs non stop... and some also point out looking fat.

It's crazy how year on year it feels like nothing changes.

Context: Slovenia got knocked out against a farmers team.

He needs to mature, and nothing brings maturity more than failure.
Luka never failed, he won everything at Real, won the EB in '17, in the Olympics he barely lost to a much better team in the semis and in Dallas he always performed above expectation, I guess the game for 4th place could be considered a failure.
He's a 23 y/o who have been cuddled by the media and regarded as the anointed since he was 16, it's astonishing how he kept his head until now given his age, but this is new situation for him, I hope people in his surrounding help him overcome it.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,613

Post#82 » by Maverick41 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:24 pm

KhalilS wrote:He needs to mature, and nothing brings maturity more than failure.
Luka never failed, he won everything at Real, won the EB in '17, in the Olympics he barely lost to a much better team in the semis and in Dallas he always performed above expectation, I guess the game for 4th place could be considered a failure.
He's a 23 y/o who have been cuddled by the media and regarded as the anointed since he was 16, it's astonishing how he kept his head until now given his age, but this is new situation for him, I hope people in his surrounding help him overcome it.

I agree. Luka's biggest problem is maturity and it's understandable considering his age and how much is on his shoulders. That's why I always advocate for someone that has proven leadership skills and can pull him to the side whenever he goes on his tantrums. Most of the great players had at least 1 vet guy that they credit for their maturation. We don't have that guy on our current team imo.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,775

Post#83 » by leolozon » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:21 am

Maverick41 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:He needs to mature, and nothing brings maturity more than failure.

I agree. Luka's biggest problem is maturity and it's understandable considering his age and how much is on his shoulders. That's why I always advocate for someone that has proven leadership skills and can pull him to the side whenever he goes on his tantrums. Most of the great players had at least 1 vet guy that they credit for their maturation. We don't have that guy on our current team imo.

He's 23 and has been a pro since he's a teen. It's not understandable at all considering his age that he can't keep his emotions in check and can't understand that he need to work on his conditioning. 23yo isn't a kid.

Some part of me think the team was lucky he got hurt at the end of last year so he could be fresh for the Suns series.

Consider me part of those that can't stand the whining any more. I've made enough excuses. Just play the game. It's a waste of energy
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,613

Post#84 » by Maverick41 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:40 am

leolozon wrote:He's 23 and has been a pro since he's a teen. It's not understandable at all considering his age that he can't keep his emotions in check and can't understand that he need to work on his conditioning. 23yo isn't a kid.

Some part of me think the team was lucky he got hurt at the end of last year so he could be fresh for the Suns series.

Consider me part of those that can't stand the whining any more. I've made enough excuses. Just play the game. It's a waste of energy

I still consider 23 young. Heck there's some rookies older then that. But I agree irregardless that he needs to get it together emotionally. The whining hurts his team and it hurts his brand as well.

But again, while Luka bears a majority of the blame for his own immaturity, the FO also needs to do a better job of surrounding him with guys that hold him accountable rather then a bunch of yes-men. His first 2 years he at least had guys like Dirk, Barea, W. Matthews, C. Lee, etc. Guys that were true professionals on and off the court and would let Luka know it if he wasn't. It's no wonder Luka was in his best shape and on his best behavior in those years.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#85 » by Mavrelous » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:57 am

leolozon wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

He's 23 and has been a pro since he's a teen. It's not understandable at all considering his age that he can't keep his emotions in check and can't understand that he need to work on his conditioning. 23yo isn't a kid.

23 y/o men are still immature, reckless and easily swayed by temptations, Luka has defied the rules of age, but he still fails from time to time, in this game he let his emotions take the best of him, it's understandable, he was injured, his team isn't good, but played even worse than their level, and nothing was going his way, while this is fine in NBA RS games (I vividly remember the ORL and OKC losses where he had similar demeanor), but in elimination game in quarter finals, this is lethal.
His constant whining also did him in this time, the tech he received was totally uncalled for, and the refs were clearly out to get him.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,913

Post#86 » by Dirk » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:45 am

KhalilS wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:I agree. Luka's biggest problem is maturity and it's understandable considering his age and how much is on his shoulders. That's why I always advocate for someone that has proven leadership skills and can pull him to the side whenever he goes on his tantrums. Most of the great players had at least 1 vet guy that they credit for their maturation. We don't have that guy on our current team imo.

23 y/o men are still immature, reckless and easily swayed by temptations, Luka has defied the rules of age, but he still fails from time to time, in this game he let his emotions take the best of him, it's understandable, he was injured, his team isn't good, but played even worse than their level, and nothing was going his way, while this is fine in NBA RS games (I vividly remember the ORL and OKC losses where he had similar demeanor), but in elimination game in quarter finals, this is lethal.
His constant whining also did him in this time, the tech he received was totally uncalled for, and the refs were clearly out to get him.

The whining is also giving him a really bad rep. A lot of the comments following that loss are about all his complaining and behaviour at the end of the game. But even other things (free throws and body shape) are a mystery. I saw people were pointing out to him looking fat and out of shape.

It went downhill from here

He is young of course, but very mature basketball wise... and smart... which makes it all the more confusing that it doesn't feel like you see much change in any area.

Anyway, we'll see him soon enough with the Mavs and start the season rollercoaster again.
60/21/10
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#87 » by Mavrelous » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:05 pm

Dirk wrote:Anyway, we'll see him soon enough with the Mavs and start the season rollercoaster again.

Mavs must sign a backup PG, it's simply a must, Brunson carried the team in November/December last year, and someone will need to do it this year from the looks of it.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,225

Post#88 » by Archx » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:22 pm

I wonder if he'll be even ready for training camp. I sense he'll take some time off again and won't even practice. Even fatter Luka incoming for yet another slow season start.

Read on Twitter

This is going to anger a lot of people probably :-?

Read on Twitter
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#89 » by Mavrelous » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:00 pm

Archx wrote:This is going to anger a lot of people probably :-?

Read on Twitter

I don't think it will, at least it shouldn't, great men understand their duty to nation and homeland, I'd be angry if it was the other way around.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#90 » by Mavrelous » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=oMR5fm2wNRVXvBVKxU2KVQ
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 5 

Post#91 » by Mavrelous » Tue Oct 4, 2022 5:42 pm

Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,970

Post#92 » by Oscar9992 » Sat Oct 8, 2022 8:45 am

Luka was incredible last night. Looked slimmer, fitter & faster than his usual self.

Can't wait to watch him in upcoming season.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 834

Post#93 » by Darren » Sun Oct 9, 2022 4:20 pm

It seems like Hawks is legitimate contender with Murray. But Luka hits wall everywhere with an incompetent frontcourt giving next to no help.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#94 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Oct 9, 2022 5:42 pm

Darren wrote:It seems like Hawks is legitimate contender with Murray. But Luka hits wall everywhere with an incompetent frontcourt giving next to no help.

Put Luka on the Hawks and he had at least 1 ring... And Young supporting cast is still better than Luka's.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#95 » by ejs78 » Sun Oct 9, 2022 8:25 pm

Darren wrote:It seems like Hawks is legitimate contender with Murray. But Luka hits wall everywhere with an incompetent frontcourt giving next to no help.
Hard to say since Vegas has the Mavs win total 3 games higher.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Oct 9, 2022 10:00 pm

ejs78 wrote:
Hard to say since Vegas has the Mavs win total 3 games higher.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Yes... Luka >>>>>>>> Young.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,150

Post#97 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:08 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=D3cvnboHFSjNGJjGPqI08g
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#98 » by Mavrelous » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:20 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,970

Post#99 » by Oscar9992 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:47 pm

Hot start from Luka so far. Improved his FT shooting but struggling at 3Pt shooting

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:49 pm

And not so bad on defense... Unreal start of the season.

Return to Dallas Mavericks