ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Raptors (Nov 8)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,245

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Raptors (Nov 8) 

Post#81 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 9, 2023 3:53 am

BliscoSantos wrote:The argument that the Mavs lack size isn't true...6'10" is big enough to get you some rebounds, paint protection...there are plenty of guys 6'10" that can rebound,Mavs have two who are both terrible rebounders(Powell, Kleber)...they get outrebounded by 6'8" , 6'9" guys on a regular basis

Nobody is saying that 6’10 is 2 small to grab a rebound. But if you’re relying on relatively unatheletic, not particularly strong, undersized centers to defend your paint you’re going to get dominated on size when the starting lineup for the opposing team is 7’1”, 6’9”, 6’9”, and 6’7” while being a bunch of freak athletes.

All 3 of our center options tonight would be the smallest starting center in the league if they started.
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#82 » by kacey ring » Thu Nov 9, 2023 3:57 am

Not sure why Grant fouled right there. 1 more sec and would’ve forced an 8 sec violation
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 719

Post#83 » by BliscoSantos » Thu Nov 9, 2023 4:01 am

BeiBeau wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:The argument that the Mavs lack size isn't true...6'10" is big enough to get you some rebounds, paint protection...there are plenty of guys 6'10" that can rebound,Mavs have two who are both terrible rebounders(Powell, Kleber)...they get outrebounded by 6'8" , 6'9" guys on a regular basis

Nobody is saying that 6’10 is 2 small to grab a rebound. But if you’re relying on relatively unatheletic, not particularly strong, undersized centers to defend your paint you’re going to get dominated on size when the starting lineup for the opposing team is 7’1”, 6’9”, 6’9”, and 6’7” while being a bunch of freak athletes.

All 3 of our center options tonight would be the smallest starting center in the league if they started.

Isn't Capella 6'10,same as Wendell Carter jr., Jalen Duren.....Kevon Looney is 6'9" and he can grab a rebound,same for Isaiah Stewart who's 6'8"...but in order to get a rebound you need to put yourself in the right place,close out the opposing Player...Mavs big men are Just waiting for the ball to fall in their lap
JWillTheFreak
Pro Prospect
And1: 211

Post#84 » by JWillTheFreak » Thu Nov 9, 2023 4:03 am

Horrible third quarter for the mavs especially Luka, he needs to move the ball more like he did first half. He needs to stop settling and attack the rim strong... Also the paint was open for the taking the whole game, Siakam feasting for 28 points in the paint alone.
///////////////////////////////////////BAKAJ///////////////////////////////////////////////
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#85 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 9, 2023 4:04 am

Dallas just has to get bigger. Can be really on 1 guy to hold it together. Especially not a 19 year old.

So like Josh Green + for Vanderbilt? (Added benefit is Daoneandonly would finally stfu about him)

Something for Hartenstein’s expiring?

THJ for John Collins packages?

We need either a starting forward/backup forward or a backup center.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#86 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 9, 2023 4:11 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Isn't Capella 6'10,same as Wendell Carter jr., Jalen Duren.....Kevon Looney is 6'9" and he can grab a rebound,same for Isaiah Stewart who's 6'8"...but in order to get a rebound you need to put yourself in the right place,close out the opposing Player...Mavs big men are Just waiting for the ball to fall in their lap

Sure Kevin Looney is the same size as our centers. But Capella and Carter Jr. have 7’5” wingspans. And WCJ has 20 pounds on our guys. Duren is 6’11” 250 with an 7’5” wingspan and is a better athlete than Powell, Holmes, and Kleber combined. Stewart plays the 4.

They were boxing out in the game. But the extra strength, vertical, wingspan, and bodies the raptors had was just winning it more often then not.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 719

Post#87 » by BliscoSantos » Thu Nov 9, 2023 4:12 am

When it comes to rebounding ,yes size matters,but you also need positional awareness...Powell and Kleber are clueless,they Just jump up,not knowing where their Man or any other opposing player is...Chandler should start working on rebounding,boxing out with all the Mavs big men...Rodman,one of the greatest(if not the greatest) rebounder would study where to positions himself
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,613

Post#88 » by Maverick41 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 6:36 am

BeiBeau wrote:Dallas just has to get bigger. Can be really on 1 guy to hold it together. Especially not a 19 year old.

So like Josh Green + for Vanderbilt? (Added benefit is Daoneandonly would finally stfu about him)

Something for Hartenstein’s expiring?

THJ for John Collins packages?

We need either a starting forward/backup forward or a backup center.

Vando can't be traded this year because of his extension but he'd be great here. Hartenstein, I doubt is on the trading block since he has a big role off the bench for NY. There's times where he even closes games.

I do think something for John Collins is possible and I'd be on board with that. The starting lineup gets confusing but playing him as a small ball 5 to close games is certainly intriguing.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,000

Post#89 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 9, 2023 7:20 am

The moment I saw Lively is questionable, I went to sleep, just the wrong team to be small against.
The defense from 2 years ago isn't coming back, Maxi isn't the same Maxi, DFS is no longer here (and even he wasn't great last season, he's been good with the Nets though), you may pull 6-7 minutes stretch with it, especially against bad shooting teams, but you can't rely on it for full game.
Clippers lost again, and will have a day of practice, Mavs will be huge game for them.

I don't like crying over spilled milk, but spending the BAE on Prince or Craig would've been much better option.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#90 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 7:22 am

So here we are... Powell starting C days are coming this year too.

I hope all the ironic posters who wrote bull in those weeks are happy this time too.

It is completely superfluous to talk about tonight's match. We are in a no way out situation.
It would be very easy to say "I told you" but I honestly believe that your silence is a sufficient response. Good job, everyone.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#91 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 9, 2023 7:29 am

The soft schedule is over BTW, it gets much tougher now...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#92 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:28 am

72 points in the paint for Raptors. :o You can't win against solid team playing like that. The thing I can't understand, you're getting the whole game killed in the paint and no reaction by the coach. Double Siakam, crowd the paint and risk 3 pointers, play more zone...You can't just watch and do nothing.

Now we are 28th in DREB% and 29th in opponent pts in the paint. And we had the second most easy schedule.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:33 am

Bob8 wrote:72 points in the paint for Raptors. :o You can't win against solid team playing like that. The thing I can't understand, you're getting the whole game killed in the paint and no reaction by the coach. Double Siakam, crowd the paint and risk 3 pointers, play more zone...You can't just watch and do nothing.

He played 39 minutes with Powell and Kleber at C, are you telling me it didn't work?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#94 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:39 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:72 points in the paint for Raptors. :o You can't win against solid team playing like that. The thing I can't understand, you're getting the whole game killed in the paint and no reaction by the coach. Double Siakam, crowd the paint and risk 3 pointers, play more zone...You can't just watch and do nothing.

He played 39 minutes with Powell and Kleber at C, are you telling me it didn't work?

Powell and Kleber might not be the best defensive players, but nobody will convince me that you can't play better team D with this personal. Mavs are surely on the way to play even worse D than last year.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:49 am

Bob8 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Powell and Kleber might not be the best defensive players, but nobody will convince me that you can't play better team D with this personal. Mavs are surely on the way to play even worse D than last year.

That's for sure. The numbers are pretty clear.

Unfortunately Kidd will win enough games for not be fired thanks Luka and Kyrie.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#96 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:51 am

Mavrelous wrote:The soft schedule is over BTW, it gets much tougher now...

It was really soft.

http://powerrankingsguru.com/nba/strength-of-schedule.php
Bob8
General Manager

Post#97 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:04 am

THJ is prime example how without control Kidd is, he was never handling the ball as much as this year, any half decent coach would simply forbid him to do anything else than shooting.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:27 am

Btw the defense tonight was bad but not worse than other games, the big problem was that Toronto taken 100 shoots.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#99 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 9, 2023 10:33 am

Holmes had a bad pass (really bad TBH), and bad boxout that led to Peoltl offensive board, and was yanked for the rest of the game, sucks, he was active on the offensive glass, and is more intimidating size wise than Powell/Maxi.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,227

Post#100 » by Archx » Thu Nov 9, 2023 11:21 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Btw the defense tonight was bad but not worse than other games, the big problem was that Toronto taken 100 shoots.

If you have 50 REBs which 15 of those are ORebs then yea it is possible :D

Lively basically changed the game vs ORL almost by himself in the 3rd Q. Magic couldn't score around the rim so they went to shooting long shots and failed. Watching Powell, Holmes and Maxi trying to defend the paint has almost became a stand up comedy.
Also, DJJ deserves to start and play big minutes each game. Kidd should freaking figure this out. 3blks tonight, 15 pts and the only starter with big +/- plus 11. I don't know what they did with Green but he's lost out there this year, it's like they reprogrammed him and some errors occurred in the process.

Return to Dallas Mavericks