And1: 1,862

Welcome Grant Williams 

Post#1 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 10:24 am

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,093

Re: Welcome Grant Williams 

Post#2 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jul 6, 2023 11:57 am

He wa son the top of my wish list when it came to realistic targets. Just hate that we had to give up an unprotected pick swap and not unload one of THJ/McGee in doing so.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:25 pm

He's the VP of the NBA PLayers Association, so seems well regarded and has a great head on his shoulders. Really enjoy watching him on the court too, he seems to care. Like I said I'm happy we got him, just think the price was too steep and Dallas could have negotiated better.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,168

Post#4 » by GermanFan120 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 2:48 pm

If he can keep his mouth shut, he is a very good player. :lol:
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,911

Post#5 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:09 pm

daoneandonly wrote:He wa son the top of my wish list when it came to realistic targets. Just hate that we had to give up an unprotected pick swap and not unload one of THJ/McGee in doing so.

Bullock, next best thing. I'd actually rather have him gone than THJ.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#6 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:12 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:He wa son the top of my wish list when it came to realistic targets. Just hate that we had to give up an unprotected pick swap and not unload one of THJ/McGee in doing so.

Bullock is cheaper annually, expires sooner, accepts his role more, and is 10x better defensively than THJ. I dont see why anyone would want THJ over Bullock all things considering. SA clearly didnt.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,489

Post#7 » by fuller4379 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:17 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:

Bullock is cheaper annually, expires sooner, accepts his role more, and is 10x better defensively than THJ. I dont see why anyone would want THJ over Bullock all things considering. SA clearly didnt.

Bullock is a tradable asset for them. They might get something for him around the trade deadline. He is also in the final year of his contract. The Spurs are basically buying a potential windfall in 2030 if the Mavericks stumble in 2029-30.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:18 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:

How would you know if the Mavs were even willing to include THJ?
And of course SAS wouldn't go and absorb more salary than necessary to get the deal done. THJ is a solid contributor, Bullock was borderline useless last season if you don't recall. The main was a shadow of himself on D and produced more bricks than a brick factory.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by fuller4379 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:37 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Bullock, next best thing. I'd actually rather have him gone than THJ.

And of course SAS wouldn't go and absorb more salary than necessary to get the deal done. THJ is a solid contributor, Bullock was borderline useless last season if you don't recall. The main was a shadow of himself on D and produced more bricks than a brick factory.

Bullock was a bricklayer in November. He shot over 40% from three the rest of the season. He actually ended out with a better shooting percentage in 2022-23 than 2021-22. He is a decent rotation player.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:42 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Bullock was a bricklayer in November. He shot over 40% from three the rest of the season. He actually ended out with a better shooting percentage in 2022-23 than 2021-22. He is a decent rotation player.

He was in years before, last year he was awful for most of the season, shot 40.9% for the year and 38% from 3 with 70% from the line. And those stats were far worse for most of the year and got skewed upwards by a couple of hot stretches. Defensively he also struggled significantly and averaged 0.7stls and 0.2 blocks. I'm not sure what you watched but 2023 Bullock was NOT a rotation piece on a .500+ team.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#11 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:46 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Bullock, next best thing. I'd actually rather have him gone than THJ.

I also recall Bullock was key in our WCF run and played 40 minutes a game. THJ was out and the team excelled as a result, not a coincidence whatsoever
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,676

Post#12 » by bisme37 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:54 pm

I love Grant, you guys! Take good care of him.

He's a top tier role player and one of my favorite guys in the league.

He's a very versatile defender who can legit guard all 5 positions. Moves his feet well enough to switch onto small guards and he's smart and strong as an ox when guarding bigs. It's weird but he's actually really good covering Jokic. And he's had some game-saving defensive possession shutting down smaller guards like Trae and FVV.

Offensively he's a lights out 3 point shooter. An improved driver to the rim. Good at backing guys down and posting up. And he's not an incredible playmaker or anything but he's a willing passer and will keep the ball moving and find the open man.

Off the court he's a really fun interesting guy and a great locker room presence. His mom is an engineer at NASA and his dad was a bodyguard for Prince haha. Grant himself went to school at Tennessee but he also had offers at Harvard and Yale, so he's a smartypants. He's a VP for the Players Association. Big personality and always joking around and being endearingly goofy.

We were kinda confused because he suddenly stopped getting regular minutes late in the RS and only played off and on in the postseason, and his shot wasn't falling when he did play and it seemed like he regressed. But then after the season ended he had surgery and we found out he'd torn a ligament in his hand in March and it got extra-injured at some point in the first round and he was struggling to play through it. So that's why his shot wasn't falling and why he wasn't getting minutes. Seems like he'll be all healed up and good to go by training camp.

On the downside he's a terrific role player but doesn't have star potential or anything. Could cut down on complaining to refs. And sometimes he gets caught up in the moment and will do something boneheaded.

But there aren't a lot of players who can do this to a guy like Jokic:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

AND this to forwards like KD:

Read on Twitter

AND this to small guards like FVV:

Read on Twitter

Enjoy!
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:59 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I also recall Bullock was key in our WCF run and played 40 minutes a game. THJ was out and the team excelled as a result, not a coincidence whatsoever

Yup, that was 2021/22 Bullock, not 2022/23 Bullock. They were quite different unfortunately.
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,421

Post#14 » by gottamakeit » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:02 pm

bisme37 wrote:I love Grant you guys! Take good care of him.

Oh we will. And thanks for the post.
bisme37 wrote:He's a top tier role player and one of my favorite guys in the league.

I think he'll be a fan favorite over here from day one. I love his goofball personality.

BTW, its seems like Jamaal Williams & Grant Williams were cut from the same cloth. coincidence that they share a last name? i think not!
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by fuller4379 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:38 pm

He's a very versatile defender who can legit guard all 5 positions. Moves his feet well enough to switch onto small guards and he's smart and strong as an ox when guarding bigs. It's weird but he's actually really good covering Jokic. And he's had some game-saving defensive possession shutting down smaller guards like Trae and FVV.

Offensively he's a lights out 3 point shooter. An improved driver to the rim. And good at backing guys down and posting up.

Off the court he's a really fun interesting guy and a great locker room presence. His mom is an engineer at NASA and his dad was a bodyguard for Prince haha. Grant himself went to school at Tennessee but he also had offers at Harvard and Yale, so he's a smartypants. He's a VP for the Players Association. Big personality and always joking around and being endearingly goofy.

We were kinda confused because he suddenly stopped getting regular minutes late in the RS and only played off and on in the postseason, and his shot wasn't falling when he did play and it seemed like he regressed. But then after the season ended he had surgery and we found out he'd torn a ligament in his hand in March and it got extra-injured at some point in the first round and he was struggling to play through it. So that's why his shot wasn't falling and why he wasn't getting minutes. Seems like he'll be all healed up and good to go by training camp.

On the downside he's a terrific role player but doesn't have star potential or anything. Could cut down on complaining to refs. And sometimes he gets caught up in the moment and will do something boneheaded.

Enjoy!

Thanks. Not getting why y’all would let Williams and Smart go to pick up someone as soft as Porzingis. We hated KP here in Dallas.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#16 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:49 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:How would you know if the Mavs were even willing to include THJ?

Yup, that was 2021/22 Bullock, not 2022/23 Bullock. They were quite different unfortunately.

And what's changed about THJ? He hurt our team then and he hurts it now. If he had a contract like Seth or Bullock its one thing, but he's overpaid for what he contributes
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,862

Post#17 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:57 pm

I think san Antonio didn't have any interest in Bullock or THJ, they wanted the first because he is an expires.

We have to find a suitor for THJ absolutely but probably Nico has yet a trade in his pocket.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,676

Post#18 » by bisme37 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 8:11 pm

fuller4379 wrote:

Spoiler:

Offensively he's a lights out 3 point shooter. An improved driver to the rim. And good at backing guys down and posting up.

Enjoy!

Thanks. Not getting why y’all would let Williams and Smart go to pick up someone as soft as Porzingis. We hated KP here in Dallas.

I dunno man I just work here haha.

I didn't want to lose Grant but the C's are basically capped out and it would have been that way with the KP deal or not. We offered Grant a deal that was only like $1.5M per year less than what he got from you guys, but between the pay difference and the state taxes etc, Grant chose making more money. Can't blame him.

Smart I have mixed feelings about. I'm a big fan of his and it was a shock to see him get traded, but at the same time I think it was good to make a change. The Celtics biggest issue has been inconsistency and Smart was a part of that as the lead guard on the court and a vocal leader off the court. His highs are high and his lows are low and he's sometimes erratic and just dominates things too much for how good he really is. We need the guy with the ball in his hands to settle the team down at the end of close games and Smart would often be the one freaking about the most. So I think it might actually pay dividends that our emotional leader is not so emotional and the team's "heartbeat" is not so irregular so to speak. White and Brogdon were both terrific last year and we have Pritchard as well. But we'll see how it goes.

As far as KP, we're obviously hoping it goes better in Boston than it did for your guys. He had a really good and mostly-healthy year for the Wiz last season. He's a great rim protector and offensively he gives Tatum etc a guy to play a 2 man game with. KP can set picks and either roll to the basket or pop out for a 3. We didn't really have that before. So I'm excited to see how he fits in.
AJace
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#19 » by AJace » Thu Jul 6, 2023 9:43 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#20 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 6, 2023 10:54 pm

Career Highs:
25 points
10 Rebounds

I expect him to set new highs in the upcoming season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Dallas Mavericks