ImageImageImage

Dante Exum ,healthy and just turned 28 on full display at FIBA WC

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,047

Dante Exum ,healthy and just turned 28 on full display at FIBA WC 

Post#1 » by tleikheen » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:44 pm

Injuries always betrayed him ,he was jinxed . Teams couldn't trust he could stay healthy and wondered if he could shoot the 3 ball. He went to Europe to get his body right and get back to playing meaning full basketball. He led his team Partizan to the best record while being one of the top stars in the Euro leagues .
He didnt sign with Dallas to sit at the end of the bench,he can play top quality ball as he has shown every game so far . In Exums case being healthy has been what he's always needed.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 210

Re: Dante Exum ,healthy and just turned 28 on full display at FIBA WC 

Post#2 » by ConstableChaos » Fri Sep 1, 2023 4:27 am

unfortunately still has no left hand
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,731

Post#3 » by Bob8 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 5:02 am

tleikheen wrote:Injuries always betrayed him ,he was jinxed . Teams couldn't trust he could stay healthy and wondered if he could shoot the 3 ball. He went to Europe to get his body right and get back to playing meaning full basketball. He led his team Partizan to the best record while being one of the top stars in the Euro leagues .
He didnt sign with Dallas to sit at the end of the bench,he can play top quality ball as he has shown every game so far . In Exums case being healthy has been what he's always needed.

This narrative how he led Partizan has to stop. Clear leader and the best player was Punter, which was especially evident, when Punter was banned for 2 games in playoffs and Partizan has lost both home games in Belgrade.

I agree that Exum is far better player than Frank, but my question is, how will he get playing time, if both Luka and Kyrie will play 35 minutes and then you have Hardy, Seth, Josh and THJ? Yes, I know there will be injuries, but everyone needs constant playing time to show his potential.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by tleikheen » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:49 am

This was the only post on Exum after he signed with the Mavs.
Now he's started 2 games in a row and is on the verge of being a starter with Kyrie and Luka . Exum is 198 CM tall translating to 77.95 inches , a hair under 6'6".
After Playing in the Euroleagues for the last 2 yrs it took him 20 games back in the NBA to start again.
His 2nd game started he drops a cool 23points/7 assists / 6 rebounds in a Win.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by tleikheen » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:47 pm

Over /Under for todays game with Memphis ....Does Exum get 30 minutes and surpass or not 16 points ,5 assists, 5 rebounds
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,306

Post#6 » by Archx » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:56 pm

Lets pump the brakes a bit. Exum scored over 10 pts only twice this season and that was vs mediocre teams. He hasn't been really that good vs top teams. I will be more than happy if he proves me wrong but he has to consistently show it. He does have much more confidence at this point which is awesome and is getting comfortable but his shooting still worries me, top teams will know how to counter that.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by tleikheen » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:17 pm

Exum wasnt out of the NBA because he wasnt good ,he couldnt avoid the injuries. Injuries derailed him early but now we see what a healthy Exum can do. i expect to see more of it as obviously he has risen fast on this Mavs team . He keeps showing at a sliver under 6'6 without shoes he can play with Luka and Kyrie and they will change the offense to a more run and gun team than the catch and shoot team of the past.
it will show in how good DJJ plays as he is getting more alley oops and his own going to the basket .
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,161

Post#8 » by Mavrelous » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:39 pm

Archx wrote:Lets pump the brakes a bit. Exum scored over 10 pts only twice this season and that was vs mediocre teams. He hasn't been really that good vs top teams. I will be more than happy if he proves me wrong but he has to consistently show it. He does have much more confidence at this point which is awesome and is getting comfortablen but his shooting still worries me, top teams will know how to counter that.

He's not a good scorer, and will take.bad rim protecting team for him to score on, but he's good on everything else.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM

Post#9 » by Archx » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:00 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:Lets pump the brakes a bit. Exum scored over 10 pts only twice this season and that was vs mediocre teams. He hasn't been really that good vs top teams. I will be more than happy if he proves me wrong but he has to consistently show it. He does have much more confidence at this point which is awesome and is getting comfortablen but his shooting still worries me, top teams will know how to counter that.

He's not a good scorer, and will take.bad rim protecting team for him to score on, but he's good on everything else.

He'll have to be a good offensive player if he wants minutes in the playoffs, unfortunately that's just a fact. Look at what teams were doing to Rondo but he somehow found a way even though he was always on stacked teams so he had a ton of help. Mavs don't want to play 4v5 specially if you have a guard not being able to score, i don't think Mavs can afford that, their team is far from being stacked.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,161

Post#10 » by Mavrelous » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:04 pm

Frank Ntilikina played minutes in the WCF run :)
He's not a PO player, he's innings eater in RS, like this stretch we are in right now.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM

Post#11 » by Archx » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:56 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Frank Ntilikina played minutes in the WCF run :)
He's not a PO player, he's innings eater in RS, like this stretch we are in right now.

Ah Frank, forgot he was on the team already :lol:

Well i actually hope Exum is good enough to play in the playoffs, he has the talent. Just has to connect the dots.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Post#12 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:41 am

It wasn't just injuries that stalled Exum's career - it was Quinn Snyder.

He was a skinny kid straight out of highschool. He was lightning quick and great in the open court, a good passer, and high basketball IQ. But he had never played against men, wasn't a NBA-level shooter yet, and needed to learn the NBA game.

What does Snyder do? Make him stand in the corner as a spot-up shooter, or sit him on the bench.

If he was drafted by the Spurs, or anyone with a brain, he would have spent a year in the G-League building his body and skill, and would have had a very good NBA career.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,893

Post#13 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:02 am

Like i said weeks ago if he can't shoot he is still just a good role player... Frank isn't an NBA player.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by tleikheen » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:47 am

LOL , nobody says here or anywhere Exums going to be a star... but if you think after the last 2 games of avging 34 mpg and going 15/26 ,3/6 (3s),6/8 and 13 assists/4 TO's and 10 rebounds while scoring 39 pts is gonna go back to the bench when everyone is healthy is not a Mavs fan.
Exum is balling now and looks good and smart about everything he does on the court. I can't wait to see Kyrie ,Luka and Exum in the same lineup for the majority of the game. '
Liveley will be the luckiest rookie in the league with 3 PG's who will spoonfeed him alley oops all year long.
Also ..... just maybe ..... we might see the glimpse of Hardy cutting into Curry"s minutes.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Post#15 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:53 am

Exum also has no ego, he want have a problem not getting any shots once Kyrie is back. He'll play D hard and do his role. Hate that the Mav's have him, I wanted the Sixers to pick him up, would have been perfect alongside Maxey and Embiid.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,619

Post#16 » by Maverick41 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:19 am

Interesting posts in this thread. Personally I'm just happy to have him. He's a good role player on a vet min contract. His shooting is suspect but he's good in almost everything else on the court. Every team needs a guy like him. A connector piece. No ego, high IQ, plays team ball and plays his tail off.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,893

Post#17 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:06 am

Maverick41 wrote:Interesting posts in this thread. Personally I'm just happy to have him. He's a good role player on a vet min contract. His shooting is suspect but he's good in almost everything else on the court. Every team needs a guy like him. A connector piece. No ego, high IQ, plays team ball and plays his tail off.

Me too...
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by tleikheen » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:02 am

Exum shooting 52.7 (fg) / 40.5 (3 pt) for the season so far
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by tleikheen » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:02 pm

DECEMBER 32.5 6.3-11.3 55.6 2.8-5.0 55.0 2.3-3.0 75.0 5.0 5.8 0.5 1.3 2.3 1.3 17.5

4 starts /4 wins 32.5 mpg , 17.5 ppg /5 rpg / 5.8 apg ........ shooting 6.3/11.3 FG 55.6 percent .....2.8/5 3pt 55 percent

I know most here think he's going to drop off and go back to backup status BUT he should easily keep up the good stats playing in the starting lineup with Kyrie and Luka. You can see on the court the building chemistry between these guys. Knock him if you like but Exum has been balling since the last Olympics, Euro league and the World Cup .You probably just never saw it.
Archx
RealGM

Post#20 » by Archx » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:45 pm

Consistency is the key. Many players had breakout weeks or months or even a year then they dissapeared. As long as Exum keeps shooting with confidence or even stay around 35% from deep, he'll have a bright future in the league. His defense is already impressing enough.

Return to Dallas Mavericks