Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,480

Re: Dallas Mavericks 2023/24 Trade thread 

Post#1941 » by dygaction » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:47 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:Lively is awesome for us but I highly doubt his value is at least worthy of 3 FRPs. That kind of value is reserved for star guys. I would do the deal proposed because the value is too good for us but would honestly be pretty sad to let go of Lively.

Tough decision... I hate to lose Lively but Mikal is the perfect 2way wing and Gafford-Claxton-Maxi is a good C rotation.

Honestly i don't know...

I clamored for drafting Lively more than anyone on this board, but there is no way in hell Mavs turn down that deal if offered.
Clax/Gaff would still be a lethal duo at center and we'd add the perfect final piece at wing.

Sentimental wise, Lively II is drafted by the Mavs and fits perfectly. The trade is enticing because Bridges is a much known commodity , has a clearer market value, and matches Mavs need/timeline. It takes the other organization's vision to realize the potential value of Lively for this to happen.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,924

Post#1942 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:49 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:Which free agent you would rather sign this summer?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

One of GTJ or Grayson Allen in a S&T for THJ as a replacement.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,955

Post#1943 » by Oscar9992 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:53 pm

Mavrelous wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

One of GTJ or Grayson Allen in a S&T for THJ as a replacement.

Wish Mavs got rid of THJ, Kleber & Powell and sign a good 3'd option like Siakam, PG, OG, Bridges. Is it realistic? Or I am just a dreaming? :lol:
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,026

Post#1944 » by tleikheen » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:58 pm

Mavs Film Room
@MavsFilmRoom
·
Feb 15
"They look scary and they look like a team that nobody in the Western Conference should even think about wanting to play in a seven game series. I mean that."

Tim Legler talking to Adam Mares of the Locked on Nuggets.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#1945 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:02 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:Wish Mavs got rid of THJ, Kleber & Powell and sign a good 3'd option like Siakam, PG, OG, Bridges. Is it realistic? Or I am just a dreaming? :lol:

The cupboard is almost bare, I think Mavs will operate more around the edges.
THJ needs replacement next year (unless they trust Hardy)
Maxi will also need replacement, which will be VERY hard, very switxhable, defensive 4/5 who can stretch the floor aren't easy to find.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#1946 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:02 pm

tleikheen wrote:
Mavs Film Room
@MavsFilmRoom
·
Feb 15
"They look scary and they look like a team that nobody in the Western Conference should even think about wanting to play in a seven game series. I mean that."

Tim Legler talking to Adam Mares of the Locked on Nuggets.

Legler is good, he knows ball.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#1947 » by dygaction » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:14 pm

tleikheen wrote:I watched the Rising Stars and saw Lively standing with Chet Holmgren and Walter Kesseler and saw 3 foundational pieces to their teams long term success ,without a doubt and I bet Utah and OKC would not trade for Claxton with their guys either.

That's a twist. Why you call it trade for Claxton when Claxton is only a poorman's replacement but Bridges is the main target? You don't think Jazz will entertain Kesseler + Jordan Clarkson for Bridges + Nic?
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#1948 » by dygaction » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Not sure Tobias Harris can be had for MLE or Haywood for Biannual Exception. Harris is playing well for his next contract but might be in retire mode after that.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,862

Post#1949 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:38 pm

I would like to see this roster in the PO before make any decision...
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,206

Post#1950 » by BeiBeau » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:47 pm

tleikheen wrote:Right now Lively is in a great spot .I think Gafford will start because comments here suggest there getting the Washington Wizards version (11pts/8r rpg) of Gafford BUT we're going to see the Luka Doncic version of Gafford. In his 1st 3 games playing w/Luka , Gafford is avg 15 ppg and 12 rpg in 20.3 mpg . Thats more than Lively's 9 ppg /8rpg in 26 mpg .

Gafford is the best rebounder on the team, but Lively is the best defender. Just look at the spurs game, Gafford was getting cooked by Wemby but Lively shut him down and then Kidd made a good defensive adjustment to put PJ on him. They have a lot of overlap in skill set and should share the time fairly equally so it doesn’t truly matter who starts. I would also say Lively’s offense is better as well. When Lively is off the minutes restriction I think he should start. Gafford has been a backup, Lively has earned his starting spot, I think for the sake of ego’s and confidence it might be best to not shake up the status quo.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#1951 » by dygaction » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:25 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:Wish Mavs got rid of THJ, Kleber & Powell and sign a good 3'd option like Siakam, PG, OG, Bridges. Is it realistic? Or I am just a dreaming? :lol:

Maxi will also need replacement, which will be VERY hard, very switxhable, defensive 4/5 who can stretch the floor aren't easy to find.

Yes, Maxi if healthy and can play at current level should stay. No easy target to replace him
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 858

Post#1952 » by Teffer10 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:45 am

dygaction wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

Yes, Maxi if healthy and can play at current level should stay. No easy target to replace him

I see Prosper as a very likely Maxi replacement.
Hopefully Maxi has one good year left because Prosper has another year or two to be a rotation player if he develops well.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#1953 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:52 am

Teffer10 wrote:I see Prosper as a very likely Maxi replacement.
Hopefully Maxi has one good year left because Prosper has another year or two to be a rotation player if he develops well.

He is so wild right now, I'm really not familiar with wings development trajectory, I hope he settles down.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#1954 » by Teffer10 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:54 am

dygaction wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Tough decision... I hate to lose Lively but Mikal is the perfect 2way wing and Gafford-Claxton-Maxi is a good C rotation.

Honestly i don't know...

I clamored for drafting Lively more than anyone on this board, but there is no way in hell Mavs turn down that deal if offered.
Clax/Gaff would still be a lethal duo at center and we'd add the perfect final piece at wing.

Sentimental wise, Lively II is drafted by the Mavs and fits perfectly. The trade is enticing because Bridges is a much known commodity , has a clearer market value, and matches Mavs need/timeline. It takes the other organization's vision to realize the potential value of Lively for this to happen.

Nets would obviously never go for that deal so the point is pretty moot.

Mavs would be crazy not to compromise Lively for Bridges/Claxton.
That is an absolute no-brainer and every GM in the league would agree.
That's why Nets would never even consider it.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#1955 » by Teffer10 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:59 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I see Prosper as a very likely Maxi replacement.

He is so wild right now, I'm really not familiar with wings development trajectory, I hope he settles down.

Prosper reminds me of Green and Devin Harris at this point of his career.
They didn't know when to go and when to slow as Harp would say.
I remember Devin at full throttle and playing recklessly and out of control to a point where is was virtually unplayable at first.
Green was similar.

Prosper seems to be similar, but I have to admit that he seems to have better handles than I thought so once he puts it all together he could become something special.
At first I thought he was an Aminu clone, but there might be a little Stephen Jaxson in him as well if he ever develops a shot.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#1956 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:04 am

He is massive, tall, long arms and wide shoulders, the size if perfect for modern 4/small ball 5, good athleticism, but really doesn't know how to use it on offense, his finishing at the rim is very low (like Hardy) hopefully he'll learn to utilize these attributes.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#1957 » by Teffer10 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:15 am

BeiBeau wrote:
tleikheen wrote:Right now Lively is in a great spot .I think Gafford will start because comments here suggest there getting the Washington Wizards version (11pts/8r rpg) of Gafford BUT we're going to see the Luka Doncic version of Gafford. In his 1st 3 games playing w/Luka , Gafford is avg 15 ppg and 12 rpg in 20.3 mpg . Thats more than Lively's 9 ppg /8rpg in 26 mpg .

Gafford is the best rebounder on the team, but Lively is the best defender. Just look at the spurs game, Gafford was getting cooked by Wemby but Lively shut him down and then Kidd made a good defensive adjustment to put PJ on him. They have a lot of overlap in skill set and should share the time fairly equally so it doesn’t truly matter who starts. I would also say Lively’s offense is better as well. When Lively is off the minutes restriction I think he should start. Gafford has been a backup, Lively has earned his starting spot, I think for the sake of ego’s and confidence it might be best to not shake up the status quo.

That's why I think the Mavs might have to consider trading Gafford in the offseason.

Lively is a 30+ min guy and although I've been screaming for this team to add size and depth in the frontcourt, Gafford might be more of an asset as a trade piece than a backup to Lively.
We can pick up a more suitable backup for Lively while hopefully trading Gafford for a solid wing who fills a greater need.

I'm a huge Green fan but I'm not sure there is much more upside for him and DJJ is who he is.
The jury is still out on PJ, but I'm not sure he is enough of a difference maker to take us to the next tier.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#1958 » by Teffer10 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:21 am

Mavrelous wrote:He is massive, tall, long arms and wide shoulders, the size if perfect for modern 4/small ball 5, good athleticism, but really doesn't know how to use it on offense, his finishing at the rim is very low (like Hardy) hopefully he'll learn to utilize these attributes.

I think he will.

Green was able to add that to his game the past two seasons. I never thought he would ever be anything more than a 3-D guy, but Josh has gotten much better at getting to the rim and finishing.
But the fact Prosper has decent handles gives me a little more hope than earlier this season.

Like Green, Prosper checks just about every box to be a perfect fit with Luka and this team.
I'm not convinced Green will ever fully get there, but hopefully Prosper will.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,093

Post#1959 » by daoneandonly » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:07 pm

Rebounding has always been a gaping hole here, if we're able to finally shore that up, what a win. If chemistry can be built, we could potentially have a solid run God willing. I think offseason if we can find a backup PG who is healthier and a starting caliber defensive ace at the 3, this would be a super exciting team
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#1960 » by Teffer10 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:15 am

daoneandonly wrote:Rebounding has always been a gaping hole here, if we're able to finally shore that up, what a win. If chemistry can be built, we could potentially have a solid run God willing. I think offseason if we can find a backup PG who is healthier and a starting caliber defensive ace at the 3, this would be a super exciting team

I wish Kidd would have given Prosper more of an opportunity when Maxi was out and Williams was struggling. Prosper has the physical attributes to be that defensive ace when he has a better feel and understanding of the game at the NBA level.

Missed opportunity imo.

Return to Dallas Mavericks