ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Wolves (Frid., 8 PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dali
Sophomore
And1: 40

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Wolves (Frid., 8 PMEST) 

Post#41 » by Dali » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:24 am

Mavrelous wrote:It's been grea effort by Tim, Powell, Curry and Hardy, but Williams killed every comeback attempt, his worst game this season.

Oof I just saw, he's -30.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,929

Post#42 » by Mavrelous » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:32 am

So close toa steal, but unlucky bounce.
Well, at least they made respectable after the horrible start, on to the next one...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dali
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#43 » by Dali » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:33 am

Ex has missed a few layups today, I'm not happy with him. He's better than that.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#44 » by Mavrelous » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:45 am

Dali wrote:Ex has missed a few layups today, I'm not happy with him. He's better than that.

Gobert...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 858

Post#45 » by Teffer10 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:16 am

Great game by Powell!
However, Mavs are not doing Lively any favors by not having a serious backup.
I think Lively could play more comfortable and aggressive if we had a suitable backup with similar skills.
Right now he is playing timid and losing confidence. His role is simply too critical and is putting too much pressure on him.

I'll give Powell credit when credit is due, but he isn't the answer to our backup center situation.
LappelDuVide
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#46 » by LappelDuVide » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:41 am

Whenever Luka doesn't play, I hope people appreciate just how bad this roster is, and what an insane carry job he's doing. This team has lost every game Luka has sat (including getting blown out by a Ja-Less Grizz, at Dallas, with Irving). This roster without Luka and Kai doesn't win 20 games. Even with Kai, they don't top 30. There's just too many bad players. Williams, Green, Hardy, Powell (tonight not withstanding), Morris...they're just not good. None of them are getting more than 15 MPG on a contender. This team w/o Kai is basically Luka, a rookie center, a streaky shooter (THJ) who shoots below league average from three, and two vet minimum guys playing solid ball (DJJ and Exum). They just lack talent...how can they compete with rosters like Minny, Denver, Boston, etc.? They can't. They need a serious talent infusion and I don't know where it comes from because there is no real market for Green or Hardy anymore...
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#47 » by Teffer10 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:20 am

LappelDuVide wrote:Whenever Luka doesn't play, I hope people appreciate just how bad this roster is, and what an insane carry job he's doing. This team has lost every game Luka has sat (including getting blown out by a Ja-Less Grizz, at Dallas, with Irving). This roster without Luka and Kai doesn't win 20 games. Even with Kai, they don't top 30. There's just too many bad players. Williams, Green, Hardy, Powell (tonight not withstanding), Morris...they're just not good. None of them are getting more than 15 MPG on a contender. This team w/o Kai is basically Luka, a rookie center, a streaky shooter (THJ) who shoots below league average from three, and two vet minimum guys playing solid ball (DJJ and Exum). They just lack talent...how can they compete with rosters like Minny, Denver, Boston, etc.? They can't. They need a serious talent infusion and I don't know where it comes from because there is no real market for Green or Hardy anymore...

First of all, welcome to the board!!!

I think the problem is the Mavs are too hell bent on keeping players they know are not talented enough to take this team to the next level. They should have moved on from guys like Powell, Hardaway, Maxi, Morris, Kyrie and Green but instead they re-sign all of them.

I'm still not seeing a good fit with Luka and Kyrie and think they should trade Kyrie for whatever they can get to address some areas of need. Exum is almost the perfect fit with Luka and if we can get some solid wings to go with those two and Lively, this could become an awesome team. I'm perfectly fine with DJJ as a 5th starter but we vastly need to upgrade the PF position with more of a 2-way player with decent size. We also need a legit backup center who brings most of the things Lively brings.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,862

Post#48 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am

I expected a blowout L so it's a surprise, the first quarter was terrible but after that we played a decent game after all.

As we know Exum like primary ballhandler was bad, he needs Luka or Kyrie around him. Btw he played well in other aspect of the games, he is the perfect PG/SG from the bench.

DJJ solid again. Nothing special but he can rebound and score.l

Lively is a 19yo rookie. He can't be effective everygame, for that we needed a real backup C or a 20minutes starting C for the first 2years.

G-Will awful again, at this point we need a starting SF/PF and he can come off the bench.

THJ in one of those games, when he is hot he looks like prime Klay Thompson. I think he can be useful but we need a coach who can let play him properly and not rely too much on him everygame.

Powell with the history game so... We are done. Now Kidd and FO think that they were right and we don't need a backup C. It took 25 games but they did it. very good.

Hardy is too erratic. I don't know if he is good or just a volume scorer with low BBIQ.

Green... I don't know. He is become a mistery box.

Holmes and Omax never tried, with the new PG we can play with 4guards and Exum at the C.
Come on Kidd. Make the history.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,646

Post#49 » by Bob8 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:44 am

Archx wrote:Watching Grant and Powell play 2 man ball few possessions in a row. Yeah f** this, going to bed.

Josh again with 2 points, until he figures out how to play basketball, his +/- is just random stuff.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#50 » by Apz » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:23 am

They fought. Closer then expected, cant complain about the effort
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,166

Post#51 » by Archx » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:08 am

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:Watching Grant and Powell play 2 man ball few possessions in a row. Yeah f** this, going to bed.

Josh again with 2 points, until he figures out how to play basketball, his +/- is just random stuff.

Didn't watch the game after that happened what i wrote so i can't comment. But he did play well last game. But i am kinda convinced Boston are laughing at the Mavs, that's a huge issue aswell.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,646

Post#52 » by Bob8 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:42 am

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Didn't watch the game after that happened what i wrote so i can't comment. But he did play well last game. But i am kinda convinced Boston are laughing at the Mavs, that's a huge issue aswell.

A huge issue is having so many bench players starting or playing big minutes. Even Lively should be coming from the bench in serious playoff team.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:04 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

A huge issue is having so many bench players starting or playing big minutes. Even Lively should be coming from the bench in serious playoff team.

Exum-THJ- Green- G-Will-Lively should be a huge bench for a contender...
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,094

Post#54 » by daoneandonly » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:12 pm

Bob8 wrote:

Josh doesnt belong in the NBA. I cant fathom how anyone can still support him. He got his bag, and now he stopped caring
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,913

Post#55 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:17 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Green is useless on both ends, what a terrible mistake it eas to extend him.

If we hadn't extended him, we would've dumped him for 2 bags of peanuts and he'd be averaging 15 a game on some losing team right now and you'd be posting daily how we should've extended him. 2nd game back from injury, take your meds.

He was bad before the injury, and you don't have to trade him, you could just let him earn his extention, instead of mailing it in like he's doing

He was great last year, no reason to throw in the towel and keep flogging the same dead horse. He's obviously way behind hopes and expectations this year but let's see how it pans out rather than repeating the same nonsense that we can't change anyway over and over again.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#56 » by Mavrelous » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:59 pm

I'm not worried at all about Lively, he's exceeded expectation to the level where 2 bad games are suddenly a disappointment, and we shouldn't expect much in games Luka/Kyrie don't play.
Yesterday game was close because the Wolves sucked, KAT has even worse body language than frustrated Luka, really unpleasant to watch, he cost his coach a challenge and got away with flagrant 1 shoving DJJ head after he was called for a hooking foul.
Main problem yesterday is that the Mavs couldn't capitalize on Wolves dysfunction because they lack quality shot creation, not unexpected but still disappointing.
Hardy is just a sad situation, he needs reps, and he'll cost the team games if he gets them, Mavs can't afford it.
Green is just astonishigly worse each game, yesterday he had some head scratching turnover on a fast break, late in the game, he decided to sag off ANT, weirdly, red hot ANT decided not to pull up, Green still allowed an easy blow by and his help fouled ANT.
Williams was the worse player by far, undersized on defense against big Wolves team and can't hit simple shots.
Vets did vet things, whether it was Timmy, Curry or Powell.
Exum got a taste of facing starting defenses with no one to attract defensive attention, he's still a great find and very good 2nd guard to keep on the floor.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,094

Post#57 » by daoneandonly » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:02 pm

Mavrelous wrote:I'm not worried at all about Lively, he's exceeded expectation to the level where 2 bad games are suddenly a disappointment, and we shouldn't expect much in games Luka/Kyrie don't play.
Yesterday game was close because the Wolves sucked, KAT has even worse body language than frustrated Luka, really unpleasant to watch, he cost his coach a challenge and got away with flagrant 1 shoving DJJ head after he was called for a hooking foul.
Main problem yesterday is that the Mavs couldn't capitalize on Wolves dysfunction because they lack quality shot creation, not unexpected but still disappointing.
Hardy is just a sad situation, he needs reps, and he'll cost the team games if he gets them, Mavs can't afford it.
Green is just astonishigly worse each game, yesterday he had some head scratching turnover on a fast break, late in the game, he decided to sag off ANT, weirdly, red hot ANT decided not to pull up, Green still allowed an easy blow by and his help fouled ANT.
Williams was the worse player by far, undersized on defense against big Wolves team and can't hit simple shots.
Vets did vet things, whether it was Timmy, Curry or Powell.
Exum got a taste of facing starting defenses with no one to attract defensive attention, he's still a great find and very good 2nd guard to keep on the floor.

Interesting, do u think he's unhappy in Minny? I thought all was well in Minnesota given their scorching hot start.

If he is unhappy, Nico should blow up their GM's phone with a Kyrie/Hardy for KAT proposal

I remember I suggested that in the offseason and there were posters mocking it saying KAT is more unavailable due to injury that Kyrie? Where are those guys now.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#58 » by Mavrelous » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:20 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Interesting, do u think he's unhappy in Minny? I thought all was well in Minnesota given their scorching hot start.

If he is unhappy, Nico should blow up their GM's phone with a Kyrie/Hardy for KAT proposal

I remember I suggested that in the offseason and there were posters mocking it saying KAT is more unavailable due to injury that Kyrie? Where are those guys now.

Nah, it's just his demeanor in general, he's always like that but this game he took it up because the refs were trigger happy (both ways).
I don't think Minny trades anyone right now, they are playing their best case scenario and are the only team in the west that can matchup with Denver
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:49 pm

We are 3-6 in last 9games, in those 3 Ws Luka posted 40+points triple doubles ( btw spurs and Portland are trash).

Is Kidd in a hot spot? If Cuban decides... probably not...
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#60 » by Teffer10 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:02 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I think Lively is fine as a starter but he needs a solid backup.
Everyone seems to be in his ear about fouls and now he is playing timid.
The fact this team struggled during his absence sort of highlighted his importance and now there is pressure on the young kid.
He looks better when he plays aggressive and if we had a decent backup, the team wouldn't look like complete crap when he isn't in the game.
Powell did look much better than him last night, but we know that is an exception and not the rule and it certainly won't continue.
If it does, this team is toast.

We need to be going after Capela right now imo so that Lively can go all out and not worry about committing a foul and letting the team down.

Return to Dallas Mavericks