ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Wolves (Sund., 730PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 708

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Wolves (Sund., 730PMEST) 

Post#61 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:00 am

Archx wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
Archx wrote:
Another problem for Mavs is perimeter defense. They are weak without Exum, so there is a lot of drives happening to the rim where AGAIN, there is no one to stop/help. This is where Lively has been good at, doing stuff that don't even show up in stats. Moving his feet, showing those long hands, etc... I won't even dive into how important are his box outs and rebounds.

So, it's easier to argue for Kyrie when Exum is out but when both are playing, it's more than evident how extremely different Mavs look with or without Lively.

Exum has been great but he can't replace Kyrie,come on now...And Lively has been good but let's not pretend like he wouldn't have problems against Minny,like he did against Cavs(Allen)

I never said he could and i didn't say he's better than Kyrie but Exum has great impact numbers and has incredible On/Off numbers for the year aswell. My point is, team is totally different with Lively playing and based on impact he's been Mavs 3rd best player so far.

Lively being this important to the Mavs Just shows how terrible their big men lineup is...like I said, he's good,well above expectations,but still a rookie which shows against the best teams
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,165

Post#62 » by Archx » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:05 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
Archx wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
Exum has been great but he can't replace Kyrie,come on now...And Lively has been good but let's not pretend like he wouldn't have problems against Minny,like he did against Cavs(Allen)

I never said he could and i didn't say he's better than Kyrie but Exum has great impact numbers and has incredible On/Off numbers for the year aswell. My point is, team is totally different with Lively playing and based on impact he's been Mavs 3rd best player so far.

Lively being this important to the Mavs Just shows how terrible their big men lineup is...like I said, he's good,well above expectations,but still a rookie which shows against the best teams

That is true. Kidd was forced to basically play DJJ at the center at the end. Though to be fair, Lively did have some great games even against some very good teams.
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 125

Post#63 » by joesha1698 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:07 am

Props to Powell, he played a good game and made the right passes. He understands the offense and makes the right plays despite his limitations with rebounding and finishing at times. Gotta give credit where its due.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 708

Post#64 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:10 am

Archx wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
Archx wrote:

That is true. Kidd was forced to basically play DJJ at the center at the end. Though to be fair, Lively did have some great games even against some very good teams.

I'm not criticizing him...he did have good games against good teams but there were also games where he looked completely out of his depth(looked like a rookie ,which he is) and it's not fair to put this much pressure on his shoulders...he'll learn, he's smart,but we can't expect him to carry this team in the paint every game
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,165

Post#65 » by Archx » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:14 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
Archx wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

I'm not criticizing him...he did have good games against good teams but there were also games where he looked completely out of his depth(looked like a rookie ,which he is) and it's not fair to put this much pressure on his shoulders...he'll learn, he's smart,but we can't expect him to carry this team in the paint every game

Like you said yourself, until Mavs get some much needed upgrades, we'll just have to hope for the best from Lively. There is no one else. Powell had a decent showing tonight but that's one game out of many.
joesha1698
Senior

Post#66 » by joesha1698 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:16 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
Archx wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

Which is why if you want to complete for a championship this season - you need a backup center that is a veteran, IMO. I can't think of one nba team that has ever won a championship with a starting center 19 or even 21 years old. I like Powell (grit) but he's just doesnt have enough size. When Lively goes up against bigger and more physical front lines - he's going to struggle with foul trouble and rookie mistakes. if you do not have a veteran (that can play) and back him up - we will regret it. That's my opinion, I hope I'm wrong. With that being said, I do not expect the Mavs to win it all this year anyway if they dont upgrade the starting 4 and get a backup center that they actually play.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,929

Post#67 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:08 am

They played almost perfect game defensively, gambled on the right player to play off of, collapsed offesively mid fourth, but closed perfectly like they used to at the start of the season.
Kyrie was great, DJJ was great, Powell played his best games of the season against strongest frontcourt in the league, Green was great on defense, Luka was solid, they survived off shooting night by THJ, Seth and Hardy.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,026

Post#68 » by tleikheen » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:27 am

Ive posted multiple times the Mavs need to after 6'10" Kyle Kuzma .

The Mavs can beat teams just with dominating offense. No team in basketball has closers like Luka/Kyrie. Exum can play with both Kyrie and Luka and thats fu*king rare. Add in Kuzma and you better be able to score to beat the Mavs. Defense isnt going to win Championships this year or any other year in the forseeable future.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,913

Post#69 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:42 am

tleikheen wrote:Ive posted multiple times the Mavs need to after 6'10" Kyle Kuzma .

The Mavs can beat teams just with dominating offense. No team in basketball has closers like Luka/Kyrie. Exum can play with both Kyrie and Luka and thats fu*king rare. Add in Kuzma and you better be able to score to beat the Mavs. Defense isnt going to win Championships this year or any other year in the forseeable future.

Who is 6'10 Kyle Kuzma? The only Kyle Kuzma in the NBA is 6'9.

And can't rebound or play defense to save his life. We have much bigger holes than adding another scorer.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,913

Post#70 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:50 am

Surprising win really given how undermanned we were at the big positions, great to see!
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,026

Post#71 » by tleikheen » Mon Jan 8, 2024 10:00 am

And can't rebound or play defense to save his life. We have much bigger holes than adding another scorer.

Oh how pathetic ,you're one of those guys who thinks the Mavs will trade for a guy who will magically pull them out of the bottom 3rd worst team defenses into a team altering better defense. You play to your strengths if you want to win. Luka and Kyrie make the Mavs an offense 1st team and thats not going to change . Locked on Wizard guys have said Kuz is a legit 6'10 player on the court and whether you like it or not he was a rotation player on a Championship team with a ring to prove it.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,862

Post#72 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 10:29 am

Mr Kyrie Irving.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,929

Post#73 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jan 8, 2024 10:37 am

Mavs couldn't protect the defensive glass, so they attacked the offensive glass to even the possession battle, smart strategy, DP, DJJ and Kyrie of all people each got 5 and created points off of it.
I worry about Kyrie chasing offensive boards, that's how he got injured vs the Bucks in 2021, but he's a competitor, I don't think you can reign him in.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,810

Post#74 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:07 pm

Is this where we apologise to Kyrie?

60/21/10
joesha1698
Senior

Post#75 » by joesha1698 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:14 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
tleikheen wrote:Ive posted multiple times the Mavs need to after 6'10" Kyle Kuzma .

I'm starting to think Isiah Stewart would really help this team more than a pickup like Kuzma. He plays the 4/5 and can shoot the 3. I posted about him in the trading thread. I really hope the Mavs can get him. He's due 5 mill this year and 15 million over the next 4. I think in today's NBA you have to really keep your young guns (like Green) and try to obtain young guys with good contracts for the long term. Stewart checked many boxes for us. He is also toughness and this team needs more of that!
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 858

Post#76 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:48 pm

Dirk wrote:Is this where we apologise to Kyrie?

I don't recall anyone on this board questioning Kyrie's talent or heart on the court.
It's always been about his availability.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,208

Post#77 » by BeiBeau » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:59 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

I don't recall anyone on this board questioning Kyrie's talent or heart on the court.

You’ve never met Ozwizard. He said cam Thomas was better earlier this season
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,003

Post#78 » by Apz » Tue Jan 9, 2024 12:34 am

Only guy on wizards i really want is avdija. And mavs isnt really bottom 3 defense, think they are like 16 when lively plays. People complain about perimeter defense, but that is less of an issue when players dont dare to drive because of a rimprotector. I doubt it but still wonder if bulls tearing it down, if they would take holmes hardy +something for drummond and patrick williams. Not even checked the money on that one tho
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,147

Post#79 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:14 pm

Maybe after 20 legit regular season performances and also playoff-round wins.
Both Conley and Gobert to abuse.

Props to Mavs coaching team!
Turning Gobert into Mcgee since the Jazz playoff series :lol: :lol:
Either take him out of the paint with p&r action or simply having a small ball lineup to get 3pt shots from Maxi-Grant type of small ball C.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,147

Post#80 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:16 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

You’ve never met Ozwizard. He said cam Thomas was better earlier this season

Is one good game enough? I am sure Cam Thomas had one or two similar games this season as well :lol: He plays for vet.min too. Where was Kyrie against Grizzlies when Luka and Morant were out?

Kyrie is supposed to play good/great most of the season. Not 1 game. At least 20-30 games like this per season and 5-6 in playoffs for MAX CONTRACT.

Return to Dallas Mavericks