ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Sixers (Mond., 730PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,094

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Sixers (Mond., 730PMEST) 

Post#41 » by daoneandonly » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:22 am

Usually not a big deal to beat a team without theirbest player, but for these Mavs, it's huge.

Hopefully Green playing this way recently means he could be traded for an upgrade at the 4. Then trade Williams for a backup center
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,936

Post#42 » by Mavrelous » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:00 am

blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,148

Post#43 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:10 am

Not a nice win but we'll take it.

Lucky break for Mavs. Embiid being injured changed the outcome. Its also good that Nets is on back-to-back so we wouldn't be the only ones with tired legs.
Personnaly, I would rather have Luka or Kyrie to be rested this game. Kyrie seems to like to return from injury breaks with some easy games. Maybe its good for rehab and getting adjusted. Lets see if he marked the Nets game and put up a statement against Tsai-Marks tomorrow.
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 125

Post#44 » by joesha1698 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:34 pm

Honest reflections on the game.

There was little to no luka ball. And thus more people were involved in the game. Maxi and Green most noticably.

Luka clearly had bad body language most of the game. This is the unprofessionalism I was speaking about. I clearly saw Jones Jr try to give him a hand clap as Luka walked to the bench but Luka just totally ignored him and walked to the end of the bench. Was it because Jones didn't hit any wide open shots? Was it because Luka didn't like that the game plan wasnt Luka ball? Or was he just sulking as usual?

Harden was known to sulk the same way when coaches asked him not to dominate the ball and reduce his teammates into spectators. Luka numbers will be reduced but it will keep him healthy and reduce his work load -- while allowing others to get use to stepping up..which is better in the long term.

I know philly was without Emiid and some other guys but we have lost to teams with less talent. What I liked was the non Luka ball offense made the game easier ( Luka was trapped) and made the easy pass and other guys stepped up and became more than 1 dimensional basketball players for once. This is due to 1 guy not dominating the ball and spoon feeding them all game.

Keeping everyone involved on the offensive end - also helps our defense. Once that ball was moving and everyone was touching it and making decisions - we easily pulled away. We can get better shots than just step back 3s from Luka all game.

Once again, I'm not sure why Luka had poor body language all game....however if it's cause we didnt play Luka ball all game he needs to get over it. As this team adds talent - it's gonna become even more necessary to allow other guys to use all their talents. Because it's clear - even Josh Green plays a lot better when he's allowed some decision making and not just reduced to a corner 3 point shooter all game. Were a more dangerous team when every player on the floor has the confidence that they can step up and make a play when the ball moves. But they have to touch the ball and be given a chance.
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#45 » by Marko_MFFL » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:39 pm

joesha1698 wrote:Honest reflections on the game.

There was little to no luka ball. And thus more people were involved in the game. Maxi and Green most noticably.

Luka clearly had bad body language most of the game. This is the unprofessionalism I was speaking about. I clearly saw Jones Jr try to give him a hand clap as Luka walked to the bench but Luka just totally ignored him and walked to the end of the bench. Was it because Jones didn't hit any wide open shots? Was it because Luka didn't like that the game plan wasnt Luka ball? Or was he just sulking as usual?

Harden was known to sulk the same way when coaches asked him not to dominate the ball and reduce his teammates into spectators. Luka numbers will be reduced but it will keep him healthy and reduce his work load -- while allowing others to get use to stepping up..which is better in the long term.

I know philly was without Emiid and some other guys but we have lost to teams with less talent. What I liked was the non Luka ball offense made the game easier ( Luka was trapped) and made the easy pass and other guys stepped up and became more than 1 dimensional basketball players for once. This is due to 1 guy not dominating the ball and spoon feeding them all game.

Keeping everyone involved on the offensive end - also helps our defense. Once that ball was moving and everyone was touching it and making decisions - we easily pulled away. We can get better shots than just step back 3s from Luka all game.

Once again, I'm not sure why Luka had poor body language all game....however if it's cause we didnt play Luka ball all game he needs to get over it. As this team adds talent - it's gonna become even more necessary to allow other guys to use all their talents. Because it's clear - even Josh Green plays a lot better when he's allowed some decision making and not just reduced to a corner 3 point shooter all game. Were a more dangerous team when every player on the floor has the confidence that they can step up and make a play when the ball moves. But they have to touch the ball and be given a chance.

I think he is just injured, he was questionable for this game. He probably should have rested, and come back for the b2b game against the Nets.
joesha1698
Senior

Post#46 » by joesha1698 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:43 pm

Another positive from last night's game was Luka actually got some wide open looks assisted by his teammates. This is what happens when you give the ball up from time to time - it will come back to you. You do not always have to use so much energy to get a good shot. I hope going forward we see more of the Mavs...especially if we add more talent at the deadline. Lastly, Im still pro Luka ball when it's needed because the hes one of the best pick and role players in the league, if not the best. However, a more ball movement / player movement approach will keep more players involve and as others score the ball - they will also pick up their defense. I'm a believer in that.
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#47 » by Marko_MFFL » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:44 pm

And finally a good coaching decision, THJ and DJJ barely played in the 2nd half, and Hardy got THJ minutes in 2nd half. Kleber-Williams-Green played very good defense.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 709

Post#48 » by BliscoSantos » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:54 pm

I agree that he had bad body language but I think you're wrong on the reason for it...I don't think he's sulking cause he didn't dominate the ball, I think it has more to do with the failure of the FO to improve the team and I also think he's fed up with Kidd
Yes,the players looked ok this game but let's face it,it was against a PHI team without Embild ...We've seen plenty of examples where teams trapped Luka and he gave up the ball,usually other players crumbled, didn't know what to do with it ,but yesrerday they did...the problem is that they have this good games which are followed by terrible displays of basketball... let's not get fooled ,like we did with the WCF run,and think this team will turn things around without any upgrades...a starting SF, a starting PF and a backup C are still what this team needs and Holmes,Kleber,Grant are still overpayed for what they give you...Green turned things around but if someone offers value for him you take it...Kleber might revuild has value and you can trade him in the offseason...Grant ,I don't have much faith in him... he's a backup,they expected too much of him,he was benched in Boston for a reason
Just don't fall inlove with the Players even if they do turn things around,nobody outside Luka,Kai and Lively should be off limits... there's no point trading Kyrie cause you'll get nothing,kind of like you Got for KP ,and you need him cause when the D puta pressure on Luka everybody else usualy crumbles
joesha1698
Senior

Post#49 » by joesha1698 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:07 pm

Btw, I know there are many schools of thought that say Luka ball should be prioritized over the likes of Josh Green and the others being given opporunties to score. I'm not in that camp. Micheal Jordan had to go through the same evolution that Luka is going to have to go through. Trusting your teammates. Phil Jackson had to convince him to give up the ball and allow his teammate to step up. I realize Josh Green decision making isn't that great and there are those who would prefer Luka spoon feed him - however, in order to reach our potential as a team - guys around Luka must feel confident they can make decisions and play with a degree of autonomy that also builds their confidence. With that being said, the front office has to surround Luka with high bball IQ players who are confident.

I think Josh Green hasnt shown a consistent confidence mentality and I wouldnt mind him taking over THJ role ( if he's not traded) but I would move him for a more confident player like a PJ Washington.

Grant Williams is limited as an offensive player but is versatile on defense. I would move him for Portis because we need size and toughness. And I would give Portis the edge on offensive skill set.

Maxi showed me that he's smart and can be versatile. Obviously he's injury prone and for the right trade I would move him.

THJ - hes a confident shooter but this team needs more balance and defense. Not sure how I feel about keeping him on the roster. I guess it depends on what happens on the trade front. If we get more 2 way players - I'm fine with him being traded.
joesha1698
Senior

Post#50 » by joesha1698 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:10 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:

I agree that he had bad body language but I think you're wrong on the reason for it...I don't think he's sulking cause he didn't dominate the ball, I think it has more to do with the failure of the FO to improve the team and I also think he's fed up with Kidd
Yes,the players looked ok this game but let's face it,it was against a PHI team without Embild ...We've seen plenty of examples where teams trapped Luka and he gave up the ball,usually other players crumbled, didn't know what to do with it ,but yesrerday they did...the problem is that they have this good games which are followed by terrible displays of basketball... let's not get fooled ,like we did with the WCF run,and think this team will turn things around without any upgrades...a starting SF, a starting PF and a backup C are still what this team needs and Holmes,Kleber,Grant are still overpayed for what they give you...Green turned things around but if someone offers value for him you take it...Kleber might revuild has value and you can trade him in the offseason...Grant ,I don't have much faith in him... he's a backup,they expected too much of him,he was benched in Boston for a reason
Just don't fall inlove with the Players even if they do turn things around,nobody outside Luka,Kai and Lively should be off limits... there's no point trading Kyrie cause you'll get nothing,kind of like you Got for KP ,and you need him cause when the D puta pressure on Luka everybody else usualy crumbles

Fair perspective. I hope you're right. And I hope the front offense makes trades.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by BliscoSantos » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:17 pm

joesha1698 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

Fair perspective. I hope you're right. And I hope the front offense makes trades.

Well time is running out,we'll see...I don't like Kidd as a coach,his style(Just watching), but he's been begging the FO to make trades...he was a good Player,he understands the game and for him to publicly beg the FO for trades is weird...he sees the Players everyday,knows what they can do and sees how limited they are...FO values them but it seems like Kidd realizes they aren't that good
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#52 » by Mavrelous » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:22 pm

This narrative of Luka sulking because he doesn't dominate the ball is new to me.
Luka sulked a lot, and I mean a lot, in games where he did dominate the ball, it's one of his main flaws, and he didn't sulk in games where he was denied the ball, much worse than this game.
We can't read minds, but watching him for 5 years, I highly doubt he really cares how much he dominates the ball compared to winning.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by BliscoSantos » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:37 pm

Mavrelous wrote:

This narrative of Luka sulking because he doesn't dominate the ball is new to me.
Luka sulked a lot, and I mean a lot, in games where he did dominate the ball, it's one of his main flaws, and he didn't sulk in games where he was denied the ball, much worse than this game.
We can't read minds, but watching him for 5 years, I highly doubt he really cares how much he dominates the ball compared to winning.

I agree with that...winning makes Players happy,losing Will make them frustrated...I actually think the complaining,body language has gotten worse in the last year and a half,right about when they started to struggle... didn't he also,last season,say he doesn't enjoy it as much..losing Will do that to you along with the failure to upgrade the roster,your weaknesses(size,D,Two way players, rebounding).. let's take a look at the rosters of teams with Players he's being compared to...yes they have holes,but none of them has so many as this Mavs team...there was bo need for this team to sign Curry when you already had a bunch of guards...there was bo need to resign Powell, Morris...they Just choose to bring in the guys they know(know their characacter) instead of signing someone new...McDaniels instead of Curry would be a good choice,he has the size...a gamble on Drummond as a backup would definetely help...even someone like KJ Martin could help with his size...I actually think Kidd's four guard lineups are deliberate to forced the FO to make a trade for some size
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#54 » by Mavrelous » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:40 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

I agree with that...winning makes Players happy,losing Will make them frustrated...I actually think the complaining,body language has gotten worse in the last year and a half,right about when they started to struggle... didn't he also,last season,say he doesn't enjoy it as much..losing Will do that to you along with the failure to upgrade the roster,your weaknesses(size,D,Two way players, rebounding).. let's take a look at the rosters of teams with Players he's being compared to...yes they have holes,but none of them has so many as this Mavs team...there was bo need for this team to sign Curry when you already had a bunch of guards...there was bo need to resign Powell, Morris...they Just choose to bring in the guys they know(know their characacter) instead of signing someone new...McDaniels instead of Curry would be a good choice,he has the size...a gamble on Drummond as a backup would definetely help...even someone like KJ Martin could help with his size...I actually think Kidd's four guard lineups are deliberate to forced the FO to make a trade for some size

He had games he was unwatchable because of sulking even in the good seasons, see Magic game when the bad Wagner brother got into his head, he certainly dominated the ball enough then, there was a game where Luka could barely get a shot off, in Miami, and the rest of the team was playing 4 on 3, he didn't look bothered by it at all.

Return to Dallas Mavericks