ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G2 - Mavs @ Clippers (Tuesd 100PM)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,512

Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G2 - Mavs @ Clippers (Tuesd 100PM) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:14 pm

Hearing rumours that Luka is fat again. Need to win this game so he sheds a few pounds.

Read on Twitter

Let's hope for a much better start to the game to avoid massive overreactions - we've seen all season that the Mavs looked the best with Gafford etc... and Zubac backing him down a couple of times probably shouldn't have have lead to throwing him in the bin. Zubac later missed twice on Gafford. Scored another time on Maxi.

Hopefully Luka starts out aggressive and puts Zubac on skates. That probably was the bigger issue (I see Zubac averaged 15 minutes per game in 2021 and 24 in 2020).
60/21/10
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,853

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G2 - Mavs @ Clippers (Tuesd 100PM) 

Post#2 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:27 pm

If the Kidd plan is playing THJ and Kleber again the it's better come back to Dallas and quit the PO.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,589

Post#3 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:08 pm

Go Mavs!!
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#4 » by MassimoPayne » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:21 pm

Luka really looked fat but I think he just has shaved
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,068

Post#5 » by Archx » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:22 pm

I'm looking forward to see on how many open layups will Luka decide to pass the ball to a 3pt shooter this time. He had like 5 or 6 of those in the 1st half alone. It's just a ridiculous way of trying to get his teammates going. Just take the shot you dummy.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:19 pm

In game 1 Mavs embarassed themself and even worse they embarassed the fanbase.
It's a shame for players and coaching stuff.

Probably i will skip the game (i think my first PO game skipped from 2000/2001), i'm really disgusted right now.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#7 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:54 pm

Dirk wrote:Hearing rumours that Luka is fat again. Need to win this game so he sheds a few pounds.

Read on Twitter

Let's hope for a much better start to the game to avoid massive overreactions - we've seen all season that the Mavs looked the best with Gafford etc... and Zubac backing him down a couple of times probably shouldn't have have lead to throwing him in the bin. Zubac later missed twice on Gafford. Scored another time on Maxi.

Hopefully Luka starts out aggressive and puts Zubac on skates. That probably was the bigger issue (I see Zubac averaged 15 minutes per game in 2021 and 24 in 2020).

The difference between Zubac and our 3 Cs, was 20/15 in 33 minutes vs. 9/7 in 60 minutes. I kinda doubt that Lue will take Zubac out no matter what Luka does, if he will be that dominant against our Cs. Our front court will need to be a lot better at least in D, I can't see Mavs winning without that, especially with Kleber being useless in offensive side in small ball.
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 816

Post#8 » by kacey ring » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:27 pm

G2 items I’m watching for:
1. Gafford coming out strong and avoiding early foul trouble.
2. Improved ball movement to start the game and/or attacking Zubac in PnR until he is subbed out.
3. DJJ maintaining defensive stance and not trying to flop/sale fouls.

We can steal one here, but Clippers won’t just roll over. We need this Finals/playoffs experience on this coaching staff to get these guys laser focused.
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 2,749

Post#9 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:24 am

If you think about it THJ is still the Mavs 3rd best scorer. It just doesn't compare to some other teams 3rd best guy with how inconsistent he is. We need a better 3rd scorer in the summer, maybe even more than a defender. Of course a 2 way wing would be ideal.

3rd best scorers on other playoff teams: Bradley Beal, James Harden, Michael Porter Jr., Austin Reeves (or D-Lo), Khris Middleton, Chet Holmgren, CJ McCollum, Jarret Allen, Tobias Harris, Myles Turner are examples of better 3rd scorers than THJ. Almost every team in the playoffs has a better 3rd best scorer by scoring average and that doesn't even take into consideration efficiency.

Some of these teams are 6 or 7 deep in consistent double digit scorers. Washington and Gafford average 11 but still.

We know Luka and Kyrie will give us 55-60, we only need around that from the entire rest of the team and only got 29 from the rest of the team in game 1.

I'm watching Knicks right now have bench players come in and just ripping every shot they take. Can only be envious.

It's why Maxi shouldn't be getting minutes. 0 or 3 points is not going to help this team. We have no choice but to play THJ.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,132

Post#10 » by GermanFan120 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:26 am

No series has been tied 1-1.

Prediction:

Mavs will join the loser club of 0-2 if Pacers and Suns don't tie the series before them.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#11 » by Mavrelous » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 am

- Full court pressure by Terrance Mann, technique that Kidd refuses to use despite having Josh Green who is great at it.
- 4 on 3 offense with Maxi as the hub, and Lively and DJJ on the floor doesn't work, no spacing or passing, Clippers were allowed to play deep drop, a very bad defensive plan against the Mavs in previous years, and it worked.
- Kyrie and Luka having an off quarter, means tough shot making to compensate for the lack of offense isn't there.
- Despite Luka not being good, the lack of shooting in the non-Luka minutes made go from bad to horrible.

I'm not sure what Kidd practiced in the week rest, but this is not unexpected at all, Mavs and Luka never played with bad spacing in the PO, that is their main weakness, Mavs can't give up the center position, it's their whole defensive gameplan, but DJJ is a killer in this lineup, I hope Kidd practiced an alternative plan.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager

Post#12 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:56 am

Mavrelous wrote:

- Full court pressure by Terrance Mann, technique that Kidd refuses to use despite having Josh Green who is great at it.
- 4 on 3 offense with Maxi as the hub, and Lively and DJJ on the floor doesn't work, no spacing or passing, Clippers were allowed to play deep drop, a very bad defensive plan against the Mavs in previous years, and it worked.
- Kyrie and Luka having an off quarter, means tough shot making to compensate for the lack of offense isn't there.
- Despite Luka not being good, the lack of shooting in the non-Luka minutes made go from bad to horrible.

I'm not sure what Kidd practiced in the week rest, but this is not unexpected at all, Mavs and Luka never played with bad spacing in the PO, that is their main weakness, Mavs can't give up the center position, it's their whole defensive gameplan, but DJJ is a killer in this lineup, I hope Kidd practiced an alternative plan.

To be honest Kidd has very difficult task.

- majority of players are more or less without playoff experience.
- very little shooting on 4 and 5 and even on 3 is shooting very limited.
- wrong personal for playing small ball.

My guess is that we will see even more Iso ball from Luka and Kyrie, hoping that Mavs can stop Clippers defensively. Kyrie needs to be aggressive from the start. Other solution is playing Kleber on 5 and THJ on 3, which I really don't believe can work for extended period of time.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#13 » by Mavrelous » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:14 am

Bob8 wrote:To be honest Kidd has very difficult task.

My guess is that we will see even more Iso ball from Luka and Kyrie, hoping that Mavs can stop Clippers defensively. Kyrie needs to be aggressive from the start. Other solution is playing Kleber on 5 and THJ on 3, which I really don't believe can work for extended period of time.

This has been known for a long time, that's what you prepare for...
DJJ and Exum received the ball multiple times when 3 Clippers under the basket and decided to drive, this is unacceptable, a 33% 3pt shot is better.
Josh Green is a better player than this version of THJ, he is also very good corner shooter, he should've played and he should've hounded Harden and PG to get them out of rhythm like Lue did to Luka and Kyrie, Mann, Westbrook and Coffey were let loose to wreak havoc on Luka and Kyrie, while Harden strolled up the court uninterrupted.
You almost never have roster of great defense and shooting, Celtics are an anomaly, you work with what you have, you don't act like you have things you don't, you become an easy prey to opposing coaches.
Timeouts are a tool to reset gameplans, the game plan never changed despite it clearly not working, Mavs played right into Clippers hands.
It was a failure of preparation and execution, Kidd carries major part of the blame.
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 2,749

Post#14 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:17 am

So going into day 4 of games not one road team has won yet.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#15 » by Mavrelous » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:22 am

ChipotleWest wrote:So going into day 4 of games not one road team has won yet.

You can include all play in games except the 1st one (Lakers Pelicans) since that game, it's been all home teams.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#16 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:To be honest Kidd has very difficult task.

This has been known for a long time, that's what you prepare for...
DJJ and Exum received the ball multiple times when 3 Clippers under the basket and decided to drive, this is unacceptable, a 33% 3pt shot is better.
Josh Green is a better player than this version of THJ, he is also very good corner shooter, he should've played and he should've hounded Harden and PG to get them out of rhythm like Lue did to Luka and Kyrie, Mann, Westbrook and Coffey were let loose to wreak havoc on Luka and Kyrie, while Harden strolled up the court uninterrupted.
You almost never have roster of great defense and shooting, Celtics are an anomaly, you work with what you have, you don't act like you have things you don't, you become an easy prey to opposing coaches.
Timeouts are a tool to reset gameplans, the game plan never changed despite it clearly not working, Mavs played right into Clippers hands.
It was a failure of preparation and execution, Kidd carries major part of the blame.

I agree that Kidd is partly to blame for sure, but you could see how Gafford, Lively, DJJ and Exum looked afraid. They were totally useless, making wrong decisions because they were clearly uncomfortable out there. Something is preparation and something totally else is playing first playoffs game as important player.

Sure you can play Josh, but he won't win you game like it was game 1. Mavs needed someone to score 20 points not 6. Player like Josh is useful only, when Luka goes off and opponents have to bring doubles or blitz him, if they defended Luka as they were in game 1, Josh won't bring you much.

If Luka and Kyrie score like in Q2 and Zubac has 20/15, while our front court is nonexistent, Mavs are not winning any games. We can debate about Kidd, small ball, Josh, THJ, but in reality...

Sometimes losing big can be beneficial for next games. Maybe Kidd is a genius and he deliberately lost big. :D
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:35 am

Start Lively instead Gafford and Exum or Josh instead DJJ. Make our 3s and hope Luka is in good shape.
If someone is scared to play can stay on the bench alongside Powell and Lawson.

it is unacceptable to be physically and athletically dominated by 3 35 year old guys.

That's lacking of effort is just disrespectful, Carlisle would have someone hanging on the wall during halftime.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#18 » by Mavrelous » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:00 am

Bob8 wrote:I agree that Kidd is partly to blame for sure, but you could see how Gafford, Lively, DJJ and Exum looked afraid. They were totally useless, making wrong decisions because they were clearly uncomfortable out there. Something is preparation and something totally else is playing first playoffs game as important player.

Sure you can play Josh, but he won't win you game like it was game 1. Mavs needed someone to score 20 points not 6. Player like Josh is useful only, when Luka goes off and opponents have to bring doubles or blitz him, if they defended Luka as they were in game 1, Josh won't bring you much.

If Luka and Kyrie score like in Q2 and Zubac has 20/15, while our front court is nonexistent, Mavs are not winning any games. We can debate about Kidd, small ball, Josh, THJ, but in reality...

Sometimes losing big can be beneficial for next games. Maybe Kidd is a genius and he deliberately lost big. :D

I thought Lively looked fine? He's there for defense, and his defense was fine, he covered for a lot of times Luka was hunted, I think Lively is a better fit for this matchup, because he covers more space on defense, and until Clippers stop ignoring the corners, neither he nor Gafford can do much, he's a basic roll man on offense, and Clippers packed the paint and swarmed the DHO to kill his scoring and playmaking options.
Exum and DJJ did look scared, and that's a preparation issue, they should have been told:
There's a high probability the Clippers will help off of you, which was exactly what happened.
In such case don't be tempted to drive, look to shoot or pass around the perimeter as last resort.
The gamble on THJ was a disaster, but at least he tried.
I'm not worried about role players scoring, Luka and Kyrie can score 90 together, it wasn't them not scoring that was the problem, it was them being left open and not taking advantage of it, if Green was at the corner and hit 2 3s, Coffey and Mann wouldn't be sagging off like they did.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#19 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:I agree that Kidd is partly to blame for sure, but you could see how Gafford, Lively, DJJ and Exum looked afraid. They were totally useless, making wrong decisions because they were clearly uncomfortable out there. Something is preparation and something totally else is playing first playoffs game as important player.

I thought Lively looked fine? He's there for defense, and his defense was fine, he covered for a lot of times Luka was hunted, I think Lively is a better fit for this matchup, because he covers more space on defense, and until Clippers stop ignoring the corners, neither he nor Gafford can do much, he's a basic roll man on offense, and Clippers packed the paint and swarmed the DHO to kill his scoring and playmaking options.
Exum and DJJ did look scared, and that's a preparation issue, they should have been told:
There's a high probability the Clippers will help off of you, which was exactly what happened.
In such case don't be tempted to drive, look to shoot or pass around the perimeter as last resort.
The gamble on THJ was a disaster, but at least he tried.

Lively looked pretty scared to me, he missed everything from few feet once. Nobody expects much from them in offense, but Zubac had 15 rebounds, Lively/Gafford 4. Zubac 4 offensive rebounds, Lively/Gafford 1. Mavs desperately need to get at least something from them. Zubac has 11 mio salary, he can't look as max player. I'm 100% sure we're not winning series, if Zubac's domination over Lively/Gafford continues.

Yes, Exum and DJJ should shoot 3s a lot more, but for some reason Exum hesitates taking 3s even in RS and DJJ clearly doesn't trust his shooting at all and I'm very sceptical he can hit them in those more difficult circumstances. I believe Kidd will need to find solution for playing him less, unfortunately he's pretty crucial in D.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 985

Post#20 » by tleikheen » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 am

Gafford is there to PNR and he rolled to no passes .Luka did too much dribbling and the Mavs looked like they were slowing the ball down instead.
And Dante doesnt push the pace anymore ,its like he's got orders to slow down and just get the ball to Luka.
To me the Mavs are in trouble if the games are low scoring .This is not their game.It starts withnpicking up the pace a lot more .

Return to Dallas Mavericks