ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G4 - Mavs vs Clippers (Sund., 3:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G4 - Mavs vs Clippers (Sund., 3:30PMEST) 

Post#281 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:57 pm

I didn´t read any of this thread just to preface the rant.
But how Kidd left Lively out down the stretch and let fat beard man kill us every time down the floor with the same ridiculous basic floater play is beyond me.
Yes, they're not gonna shoot 60% from 3 - and what kind of ridiculous 3s many of them were - again but you can't come out looking like in game 1 again.
Credit for the comeback.
WTF was that coaching down the stretch when the game was tied.
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 125

Post#282 » by joesha1698 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:50 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Dirk wrote:The +/- thing is spooky. Luka +8; Kyrie +0.8. It really hasn't looked like Luka has been himself. And yesterday, because of foul trouble or some other reason... he really offered little resistance on defense. Up to this point... Luka's best moments was defense G3 and a 3pointer G2?

They havent updated with last game stats, but t has been very grim all series and the numbers are very telling. Luka should be better now than when he played better Clippers defenders back then.

Seeing every kind of guy glued to him... even when he had zubac, plumlee... Add this to the body language/"complaining"/"frustration"/"bad shots"/a few bad turnovers.

Maybe it's very unreasonable to expect "perfection" or something... but Luka has definitely not felt like he has had a single good game yet and hasn't looked like himself offensively.

Surely it can't be that the Clippers are suddenly amazing on defense... or the refs allowing more contact... etc? "This" can't be the new playoff Luka for sure... but time is running out to start seeing the real version.

Next game Wednesday, so there's a couple of days to rest. A real Luka game is due.

It's really easy. D that referees alow and Clippers play can be break only, if Luka starts hitting his step backs. Unfortunately Luka is not making them. In the moment he starts making them, game will change, they will have to double and blitz him and other Mavs will get open shots. On the other hand, if Luka won't start hitting 3s and Kyrie doesn't continue to dominate in ISO Mavs are toasted.

This is where I put the blame on Kidd for not adjusting the strategy with Luka. Some of this has to go on Luka as well. The defense on Luka is very physical and strong. This is why you develop the ability to catch and shoot and score off the ball. Luka is a little beat up and it would serve him greatly to come off the ball and find spots in the defense where he can catch and shoot and become the finisher on plays.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,628

Post#283 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:54 pm

joesha1698 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Dirk wrote:The +/- thing is spooky. Luka +8; Kyrie +0.8. It really hasn't looked like Luka has been himself. And yesterday, because of foul trouble or some other reason... he really offered little resistance on defense. Up to this point... Luka's best moments was defense G3 and a 3pointer G2?

They havent updated with last game stats, but t has been very grim all series and the numbers are very telling. Luka should be better now than when he played better Clippers defenders back then.

Seeing every kind of guy glued to him... even when he had zubac, plumlee... Add this to the body language/"complaining"/"frustration"/"bad shots"/a few bad turnovers.

Maybe it's very unreasonable to expect "perfection" or something... but Luka has definitely not felt like he has had a single good game yet and hasn't looked like himself offensively.

Surely it can't be that the Clippers are suddenly amazing on defense... or the refs allowing more contact... etc? "This" can't be the new playoff Luka for sure... but time is running out to start seeing the real version.

Next game Wednesday, so there's a couple of days to rest. A real Luka game is due.

It's really easy. D that referees alow and Clippers play can be break only, if Luka starts hitting his step backs. Unfortunately Luka is not making them. In the moment he starts making them, game will change, they will have to double and blitz him and other Mavs will get open shots. On the other hand, if Luka won't start hitting 3s and Kyrie doesn't continue to dominate in ISO Mavs are toasted.

This is where I put the blame on Kidd for not adjusting the strategy with Luka. Some of this has to go on Luka as well. The defense on Luka is very physical and strong. This is why you develop the ability to catch and shoot and score off the ball. Luka is a little beat up and it would serve him greatly to come off the ball and find spots in the defense where he can catch and shoot and become the finisher on plays.

Who is Pg, if Luka plays off ball? Kyrie for sure isn't and others even less.
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 125

Post#284 » by joesha1698 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 pm

Bob8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Who plays point guard for the Clippers? No one really. Great guards take what the defense gives them. I wouldn't even say Luka plays point guard for the Mavs. I think Luka runs the pick and roll (like every play) and takes what the defense gives him and happens to be a great passer. The problem is the Clippers want Luka to become that scorer. They want him to take 1 shot and they want to keep him out of the paint. 38% from 2 and 26.5% from the 3pt. They have been winning that bet so far. Luka is hobbled and the Clips are playing extreme physical defense at the point of contact -this is affecting Luka's shooting percentages and his overall efficiency. So logically, shouldn't we find creative ways to free him up from this physical defense? We should use their aggression against them.

I want to see Luka get going offensively and I want to keep the Clips defense on their toes. Once we get Luka going, it makes Luka pick and roll that much more dangerous. I would start game 5 with Luka not handling the ball but coming off screens, double screens, etc. I would defuse a lot of the pressure their putting on Luka by putting him in positions to shoot quick jump shots or establish low post position and go right up. In other words, I rather see Luka score quick and often against this team. Get going offensively and then settle into point guard play and those step back 3s.

Will this happen? Probably not. Why not?

Well, that's been my criticism of Luka ball (aka ball dominant players) from the very beginning. This offensive style renders their off-the-ball ability and limits the team to a 3 point shot making, 1on1 shot making, and lobs. We're very similar to those Harden/Capella teams and less like those Sac Kings 2000 teams, who, imo, were a more sophisticated offensive team that could beat you multiple ways.

When a team like the Clippers are playing you so aggressive(if we had an offense with more movement, passing, cutting, misdirection) we would be able to use that against them and pick them apart. However, what we're doing instead is just depending on Luka's shot making and the occasional corner 3 point shot that we have struggled with all year. In other words, we're playing right into their hands and we do not have a backup plan because we live and die by this style of play.

As for Jason Kidd, why is it so hard to guard James Harden? Just do the same thing the Clippers are doing. Luka and Harden play similar styles. Go watch James Harden in the playoffs when he has struggled. You know what it amounts to? Playing physical / suffocating defense and forcing him to take tough 3's...even if you give up the occasional 3 point foul. Every time Harden has struggled in the playoffs it was due to him jacking up a lot of 3s with tough defense on him - and eventually fatigue would catch up to Harden and those shots wouldn't fall late in the game. Jason Kidd is the only coach I have seen not take that approach towards Harden even though it has been very effective. We have done the opposite. We have essentially invited Harden into the lane for easy layups and have played soft defense at best on him. I would always have one of my best defenders on Harden throughout the game and I would say hound him non-stop and give him very little space. As the game goes along, when you employ this style - Harden has consistently became fatigued and those long 3 point shots come up short. Why change this if every other team has effectively beaten Harden this way? Why is Harden not being equally beat up as much as Luka has in terms of how the Clips are playing Luka versus how we are playing Harden? As a Mavs fan that is a failure on Jason Kidd's part. At this point in their respective careers - Paul George is a harder guard than Harden. We have to bring the physicality to Harden and really give him zero space. We cannot be afraid of the occasional 3 point foul. He needs to be hounded. I would personally use a combination of DJ Jr, Green, and PJ Washington to do it! It's time to return the favor.
Dmavs12
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#285 » by Dmavs12 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 pm

Timmy’s hurt. Someone needed to take over the missed 3s. Everyone give Luka a pat on the back for taking over yet another roll on this team.
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 3,197

Post#286 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 pm

I think that smart people can rarely if ever get exploited, Kidd got exploited yesterday for an entire quarter and did nothing about it. It's scary how braindead that made him look. It's like there's no chess match being played in his head it's just make a decision and stick with it even if it's clearly not working. I also think he's incapable of admitting he's wrong.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,680

Post#287 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:11 pm

JJ is going after Kidd prettt bluntly, he rarely does that, he's angling for his job
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Swish77
Junior
And1: 84

Post#288 » by Swish77 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:44 pm

I find it odd that both L's were afternoon games. Kinda makes me think we just don't just show in afternoon games.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,112

Post#289 » by Archx » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:57 pm

joesha1698 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

Who plays point guard for the Clippers? No one really. Great guards take what the defense gives them. I wouldn't even say Luka plays point guard for the Mavs. I think Luka runs the pick and roll (like every play) and takes what the defense gives him and happens to be a great passer. The problem is the Clippers want Luka to become that scorer. They want him to take 1 shot and they want to keep him out of the paint. 38% from 2 and 26.5% from the 3pt. They have been winning that bet so far. Luka is hobbled and the Clips are playing extreme physical defense at the point of contact -this is affecting Luka's shooting percentages and his overall efficiency. So logically, shouldn't we find creative ways to free him up from this physical defense? We should use their aggression against them.

I want to see Luka get going offensively and I want to keep the Clips defense on their toes. Once we get Luka going, it makes Luka pick and roll that much more dangerous. I would start game 5 with Luka not handling the ball but coming off screens, double screens, etc. I would defuse a lot of the pressure their putting on Luka by putting him in positions to shoot quick jump shots or establish low post position and go right up. In other words, I rather see Luka score quick and often against this team. Get going offensively and then settle into point guard play and those step back 3s.

Well, that's been my criticism of Luka ball (aka ball dominant players) from the very beginning. This offensive style renders their off-the-ball ability and limits the team to a 3 point shot making, 1on1 shot making, and lobs. We're very similar to those Harden/Capella teams and less like those Sac Kings 2000 teams, who, imo, were a more sophisticated offensive team that could beat you multiple ways.

When a team like the Clippers are playing you so aggressive(if we had an offense with more movement, passing, cutting, misdirection) we would be able to use that against them and pick them apart. However, what we're doing instead is just depending on Luka's shot making and the occasional corner 3 point shot that we have struggled with all year. In other words, we're playing right into their hands and we do not have a backup plan because we live and die by this style of play.

As for Jason Kidd, why is it so hard to guard James Harden? Just do the same thing the Clippers are doing. Luka and Harden play similar styles. Go watch James Harden in the playoffs when he has struggled. You know what it amounts to? Playing physical / suffocating defense and forcing him to take tough 3's...even if you give up the occasional 3 point foul. Every time Harden has struggled in the playoffs it was due to him jacking up a lot of 3s with tough defense on him - and eventually fatigue would catch up to Harden and those shots wouldn't fall late in the game. Jason Kidd is the only coach I have seen not take that approach towards Harden even though it has been very effective. We have done the opposite. We have essentially invited Harden into the lane for easy layups and have played soft defense at best on him. I would always have one of my best defenders on Harden throughout the game and I would say hound him non-stop and give him very little space. As the game goes along, when you employ this style - Harden has consistently became fatigued and those long 3 point shots come up short. Why change this if every other team has effectively beaten Harden this way? Why is Harden not being equally beat up as much as Luka has in terms of how the Clips are playing Luka versus how we are playing Harden? As a Mavs fan that is a failure on Jason Kidd's part. At this point in their respective careers - Paul George is a harder guard than Harden. We have to bring the physicality to Harden and really give him zero space. We cannot be afraid of the occasional 3 point foul. He needs to be hounded. I would personally use a combination of DJ Jr, Green, and PJ Washington to do it! It's time to return the favor.

That wall of text and i still don't know who you're blaming. You're contradicting yourself in every other paragraph.

Also, LAC are not doing anything special vs Doncic, he's averaging crazy numbers vs them for his career. Problem is his conditioning which is starting to affect him more and more. An aging Dirk was less fatigued than a young Luka. And that's embarrassing.

Kidd is not a HC material, i think that's more or less clear to everyone by now. How many games has he trown just this season with his stubborn lineups that do not work at all?
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,628

Post#290 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:19 pm

Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

That wall of text and i still don't know who you're blaming. You're contradicting yourself in every other paragraph.

Also, LAC are not doing anything special vs Doncic, he's averaging crazy numbers vs them for his career. Problem is his conditioning which is starting to affect him more and more. An aging Dirk was less fatigued than a young Luka. And that's embarrassing.

Kidd is not a HC material, i think that's more or less clear to everyone by now. How many games has he trown just this season with his stubborn lineups that do not work at all?

I don't agree there. D on Luka is because different refereeing criteria a lot more physical than previous years. Having to play 45+ minutes doesn't help too.
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#291 » by Marko_MFFL » Wed May 1, 2024 4:35 pm

What a comeback this would be...
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#292 » by dirkules_41 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:47 pm

Marko_MFFL wrote:What a comeback this would be...

And all of that to sub out rim protection when it mattered and get killed by 4x the play in sequence.
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#293 » by Marko_MFFL » Wed May 1, 2024 5:57 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
Marko_MFFL wrote:What a comeback this would be...

And all of that to sub out rim protection when it mattered and get killed by 4x the play in sequence.

Fire Kidd!

Return to Dallas Mavericks