ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G6 - Mavs vs Clippers (Frid., 9:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,026

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G6 - Mavs vs Clippers (Frid., 9:30PMEST) 

Post#81 » by tleikheen » Sat May 4, 2024 4:37 am

I’m sure he’ll end up on him off some rotations, but I’m thinking this:

Shai -> DJJ
Jdub -> PJ
Giddey -> Luka
Dort -> Kai
Holmgren-> Gafford

This is spot on but Dort is going to have alot tougher time bottling up Kyrie then he did with Brandon Ingram who's taller but slower.
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 125

Post#82 » by joesha1698 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:37 am

kacey ring wrote:Would be nice if Maxi is healthy. Dude was really turning a corner and getting confident.

It didnt look that bad but by Maxi standards...better pray. :nonono:
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,147

Post#83 » by ozwizard8 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:37 am

joesha1698 wrote:Would anyone trade for a 34 year old P.George and give him 3 year contract averaging around 35 million a year? (green, maxi, thj, draft pick?) for George? I gotta ask. There was the rumor about Klay but I rather have Paul. They are the same age. Is it just me or does Paul not look happy with the clippers? Just asking because I know we're looking for an upgrade at SF or is that too much of a price?

Paul George would make this team a top contender.
Can we sign&trade him though? Cap space? Assets to send over?
joesha1698
Senior

Post#84 » by joesha1698 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:42 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Would anyone trade for a 34 year old P.George and give him 3 year contract averaging around 35 million a year? (green, maxi, thj, draft pick?) for George? I gotta ask. There was the rumor about Klay but I rather have Paul. They are the same age. Is it just me or does Paul not look happy with the clippers? Just asking because I know we're looking for an upgrade at SF or is that too much of a price?

He has a player's option for 48 million next year. If he wants out, possibly a sign and trade for 3 years? THJ 16 million, Green - 12.6 million, and Maxi at 11 million. Right at 40 million a year. If Paul wants out, Dallas should probably make that call - the only thing I worry about is age. But would I rather have Geroge at 34 years old over those 3 guys, yes. I would take my chances but I'm not 100% sure but probably would.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas_mavericks/
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#85 » by ozwizard8 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:43 am

kacey ring wrote:Would be nice if Maxi is healthy. Dude was really turning a corner and getting confident.

Maxi does that in every playoffs. He had pretty solid games. I would love to have him in bench for every series.

More importantly though, Luka is visibly looking injured.
He made a fast break reverse layup and landed on his leg felt the pain. After that he wasn't alright. Still he had like 14 assists or sth but then again he couldn't make baby hookup shots etc is concerning.

We need healthy Luka for that OKC series.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,887

Post#86 » by dirkules_41 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:43 am

Mavrelous wrote:Kidd is such a horrible in game coach, this should've been 40 point blowout, Mavs were the much better team, but Kidd TO and play calling played right into Lue's hands...
There is more to coaching than defensive planning...

Yup, should've stopped their run in H1 with a TO and done the same when they cut the 26 point lead to 13 in the closing minutes. Which to be fair he did but he should've done that much sooner and re-established a sense of urgency.

Either way, we did it! The upside of this team is tremendous. Hopefully Maxi doesn't have anything significant but just a contusion.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,412

Post#87 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 4:46 am

Any update on Maxi? I swear his head banged hard off the floor.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#88 » by ozwizard8 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:46 am

joesha1698 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

He has a player's option for 48 million next year. If he wants out, possibly a sign and trade for 3 years? THJ 16 million, Green - 12.6 million, and Maxi at 11 million. Right at 40 million a year. If Paul wants out, Dallas should probably make that call - the only thing I worry about is age. But would I rather have Geroge at 34 years old over those 3 guys, yes. I would take my chances but I'm not 100% sure but probably would.

What would we offer to Clippers, though? Green and Maxi should be neutral assets. $10m is not that big of money anymore.
Do we have any picks left? They may want Lively or Gafford for that trade.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by ozwizard8 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:46 am

ChipotleWest wrote:Any update on Maxi? I swear his head banged hard off the floor.

Worried about the elbow-shoulder.
joesha1698
Senior

Post#90 » by joesha1698 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:49 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Paul George would make this team a top contender.

What would we offer to Clippers, though? Green and Maxi should be neutral assets. $10m is not that big of money anymore.
Do we have any picks left? They may want Lively or Gafford for that trade.

Expiring contract form THJ. Young player in Green. Maxi would be a throw with 2 years left. Would need a 1st round pick, which I'm not sure if Mavs have.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by ozwizard8 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:56 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Kidd is such a horrible in game coach, this should've been 40 point blowout, Mavs were the much better team, but Kidd TO and play calling played right into Lue's hands...

Yup, should've stopped their run in H1 with a TO and done the same when they cut the 26 point lead to 13 in the closing minutes. Which to be fair he did but he should've done that much sooner and re-established a sense of urgency.

Either way, we did it! The upside of this team is tremendous. Hopefully Maxi doesn't have anything significant but just a contusion.

There are so few franchises that are content with their coaches. Almost 90% teams that missed playoffs wants their coach gone.
Teams eliminated in play-ins, 1st round playoffs all want their coaches too.
Lakers, Suns, Pelicans fans in West. Bucks, Bulls, Hawks in East may be fired soon. Cavs coach is probably gone they cannot pass this round. Even Celtics fans would ask their coached to be fired if they fail to win the title. Kidd is on a thin rope for Mavs fans. But then again who do we hire next? Frank Vogel?

Like Barkley said on TV the other night; some stuff are on players and GMs. You cannot expect coach to be a magician. Timeouts and challenges are limited. I think Kidd used a good challenge in first half but REFS **** up. For the stretches Clippers make a run, our team didn't look panicked or sth. Mavs still found the good shots, the offensive plan worked.

Late 4th quarter Luka missed 3 shots during that stretch, where the lead gets down in the 4th. Same with the second quarter, Kyrie and Luka missed shots after shots. 5/15 and 1/6 in first half.

In the first half Luka scored 15 and Kyrie scored 2 and Mavs were tied with Clippers. That is really no fireable offense.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by dirkules_41 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:14 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Any update on Maxi? I swear his head banged hard off the floor.

Worried about the elbow-shoulder.

My gut feel says rib contusion but yeah could be anything shoulder/ribs related.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,841

Post#93 » by Mavrelous » Sat May 4, 2024 5:15 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:

There are so few franchises that are content with their coaches. Almost 90% teams that missed playoffs wants their coach gone.
Lakers, Suns, Pelicans fans in West. Bucks, Bulls, Hawks in East may be fired soon. Cavs coach is probably gone they cannot pass this round. Even Celtics fans would ask their coached to be fired if they fail to win the title. Kidd is on a thin rope for Mavs fans. But then again who do we hire next? Frank Vogel?

Like Barkley said on TV the other night; some stuff are on players and GMs. You cannot expect coach to be a magician. Timeouts and challenges are limited. I think Kidd used a good challenge in first half but REFS **** up. For the stretches Clippers make a run, our team didn't look panicked or sth. Mavs still found the good shots, the offensive plan worked.

Late 4th quarter Luka missed 3 shots during that stretch, where the lead gets down in the 4th. Same with the second quarter, Kyrie and Luka missed shots after shots. 5/15 and 1/6 in first half.

In the first half Luka scored 15 and Kyrie scored 2 and Mavs were tied with Clippers. That is really no fireable offense.

Yes some stuff on players and GM but some on coach.
Close out game, you're outplaying the opposing team (great game plan BTW, credit to Kidd), up 13, they throw different look at Luka, BAM, down 2, out of the blue, 0 time outs.
You regain massive lead, and ahain allow them back while playing right into their traps, this time he managed to get TO and stop the bleeding.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 5:16 am

Am I wrong that he banged his head? Check it out I think he did and hard. Not that I'm not worried about elbow-shoulder-rib.

Read on Twitter

dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by dirkules_41 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:17 am

Mavrelous wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Yup, should've stopped their run in H1 with a TO and done the same when they cut the 26 point lead to 13 in the closing minutes. Which to be fair he did but he should've done that much sooner and re-established a sense of urgency.

Close out game, you're outplaying the opposing team (great game plan BTW, credit to Kidd), up 13, they throw different look at Luka, BAM, down 2, out of the blue, 0 time outs.
You regain massive lead, and ahain allow them back while playing right into their traps, this time he managed to get TO and stop the bleeding.

Yeah but he stopped it after they shaved 13 points off the lead. And Luka was **** around with cute turnaround hooks in traffic on every possession or turning it over, there was no sense of urgency in the team anymore and he should've just gotten them back on track sooner.
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 862

Post#96 » by kacey ring » Sat May 4, 2024 5:34 am

tleikheen wrote:

Shai -> DJJ
Jdub -> PJ
Giddey -> Luka
Dort -> Kai
Holmgren-> Gafford

This is spot on but Dort is going to have alot tougher time bottling up Kyrie then he did with Brandon Ingram who's taller but slower.

While I think Dort will be guarded by Kai, Dort likely guards Luka when flipping sides.

OKC likely matches up like so:
Luka -> Dort
Kai -> SGA
Washington->jDub
Gafford->Holmgren
DJJ->Giddey
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#97 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 5:45 am

If Maxi is out and THJ is out vs. OKC, do we consider giving minutes to Hardy, O-Max or Morris? Although O-Max has an ankle injury at the moment not sure how serious.

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#98 » by ozwizard8 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:51 am

Mavrelous wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Yup, should've stopped their run in H1 with a TO and done the same when they cut the 26 point lead to 13 in the closing minutes. Which to be fair he did but he should've done that much sooner and re-established a sense of urgency.

Clippers take PG out, no timeouts left. Its just our players also relaxed naturally. Luka missed bunnies, turnover from PJ and they made some shots. I am also watching Mavs game with a lot of adrenaline but lets cut some slack for coach and players as we advanced to 2nd round.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by ozwizard8 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:53 am

kacey ring wrote:
tleikheen wrote:

Shai -> DJJ
Jdub -> PJ
Giddey -> Luka
Dort -> Kai
Holmgren-> Gafford

While I think Dort will be guarded by Kai, Dort likely guards Luka when flipping sides.

OKC likely matches up like so:
Luka -> Dort
Kai -> SGA
Washington->jDub
Gafford->Holmgren
DJJ->Giddey

Are they really going to start with Giddey? I am not watching them closely but did he start shooting decently or sth?

Luka is already injured. Now we'll watch Lou Dort to foul the **** out of Luka but not getting called for. Checking the 1st game against Pelicans, it was crazy that REFS allowed Dort to put both hand on Ingram and pushing him around, hip-checking and all the ****.

Meanwhile SGA might have the best whistle in the league. He is almost like Trae. You cannot be 3-ft close to him because if he leans into you then its automatic FTs.

Couple good wishes for the series:
* DJJ defense to PG was pretty good. He was careful to not the foul. His length, athleticism kinda messes up with opposing players who are not too big. SGA is not a Lebron-Luka-Kawhi type of player IMO. So DJJ may be successful against him if REFS allow him to defend.
* Today Lively finished couple plays in 3rd and 4th quarter of the Luka assists. He got the ball and finished with a low post move few times. Some against Paul George, Zubac. I wonder if he can do that against Chet.
* Luka on Giddey? This would be amazing for Luka to rest on D, help rebounding. He can easily switch on Chet and box him out as well. Ofcourse we need a healthy Luka for all this.
* Maxi playing would help a lot. That way we can take Chet out of the paint.
* Luka-Kyrie switching on to Chet. That would also open things up inside.

Most of our meaningful previous matchups were before the trades. Lively+'Gafford+PJ should really help with the interior defense and hopefully we wouldn't need to give up too much open 3s. If Luka was healthy I'd say it'd be easy but now it'll be tough.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by ozwizard8 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:06 am

ChipotleWest wrote:If Maxi is out and THJ is out vs. OKC, do we consider giving minutes to Hardy, O-Max or Morris? Although O-Max has an ankle injury at the moment not sure how serious.

In playoffs, most coaches would prefer small rotation. I mean this is not a preference but sometimes a necessity. Some players just get abused too much.

THJ was already out in this series and Hardy only got some 2-3 minutes per game if it wasn't a blowout. Exum didn't play good so that was the reason he didn't play.

Playing Morris would show desperation. So hopefully not. I guess you'd rotate Exum-Green-DJJ-PJ on the wing and that should be enough if Maxi is out. O-Max is kinda like Green from 2-3 years ago. He really needs to learn in the NBA regular season first.

If Maxi is not available for G1, I wonder if we would see any PJ Washington at 5. Can PJ box out Chet? 5 out lineups are sometimes needed to open spacing for offense.

Return to Dallas Mavericks