ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G1 - Mavs @ Thunder (Tuesd., 9:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,047

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G1 - Mavs @ Thunder (Tuesd., 9:30PMEST) 

Post#61 » by tleikheen » Tue May 7, 2024 5:48 am

Stand around offenses are getting chewed up by the defenses in the West. OKC likes to overplay and that kind of defense works against teams that stand around at the 3pt line with no player movement and no ball movement.
If Dallas loses tomorrow ....I'll look to see if Luka has 6/7 TO's ,most picked off by a OKC smothering ,gambling defense and Luka pounding the air out of the basketball.
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 106

Post#62 » by MassimoPayne » Tue May 7, 2024 7:53 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:No way Prosper plays over Morris.
My biggest fear is Powell taking over Maxi's spot in the rotation though.

I'm thinking/hoping it was situations like this is the reason for resigning Morris.
He can spread the floor, provide some D and Rebounding, has PO experience, and has a thug mentality that could be useful in this series.

I dont want to see Morris on the main rotation. But hey if he plays 1 or 2 games where he plays 12 mpg and make some shots, it would be beneficial. His brother had one semi decent game with Cavs in their Magic series.

his brother also looks 20 pounds lighter
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 106

Post#63 » by MassimoPayne » Tue May 7, 2024 7:59 am

And can we please stop talking about Omax? He is injuired and didn't really play in the regular season. We are not that deseprate that we play a injured g-league player (yet)
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 868

Post#64 » by Teffer10 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:14 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Read on Twitter

I always feel sad when I hear its talked about Lively. Like in the ESPN broadcast, they praised him as a rookie and playing good. I couldn't stop thinking he's also suffering from losing his mother. Anyway, very nice guy, mother raised him well for sure.

And Tyson Chandler was also a stand-up professional. That is a great coach-mentor-big brother for Lively. Hope Mavs are paying Chandler because he deserves it.

I wish they would pay Matrix to mentor Prosper.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,303

Post#65 » by Archx » Tue May 7, 2024 9:43 am

BeiBeau wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Yes. Point is, OMax could have easily played way more minutes. So now it's kinda too late to experiment. Kidd already mentioned Kieff and Powell could see minutes to replace Maxi. How Green played 3 years ago is irrelevant right now. OMax has a potential to be a better wing defender but he has to slow down, he's too erratic sometimes. But that comes with experience playing in real NBA games.

No, I am not saying Omax could've 'easily' player way more minutes. This was not up to Jason Kidd. This is not a rebuilding team. The team finished 11th last year, so the priority was getting the new main rotation players adjusted first.

I am giving an example for you to comprehend. Green did not play much minutes in his first two years because he was not even good enough to play in regular season. It takes time for some of those 3&D players to adjust to the league tempo, officiating, scouting reports, even grow up in strength, adjusting NBA schedule.

Kidd giving Omax an extra 600 minutes would not magically make him like a player year 4. He needs to improve himself and deserve it step by step.

OMax has shown really solid defensive skill with high level NBA size and athleticism. But he just doesn’t know how to fit in the system or have a reliable offensive skill. As he gets more comfortable and with a offseason of work he could be ready to take Maxi’s role if he develops.

Exactly. He showed some flashes that he can be a good defender but needs to learn to properly position himself on offense and become a reliable 3pt shooter. No GLeague games or any that type of BS will further prepare you for that. It's a totally different game. I saw during the season that a ton of fans wanted to see OMax at least get couple of minutes, specially in blowout games but he wasn't even available for that. And we know from the past couple of years that Mavs are not doing that good of a job developing players.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,123

Post#66 » by Mavrelous » Tue May 7, 2024 11:01 am

OKC perimeter defenders are merciless, this isn't the series for OMax, his time will come, he also was in crutches.
No one should handle the ball except Luka, Kai and Dante, anyone else will be stripped clean and given a wedgie midcourt, then pointed and laughed at, just watch the massacre at the end of the season.
It's the guards throwing lobs and kickouts، role players should be attacking close outs, dunking and shooting, nothing else.
This is a Luka series, he needs to bend OKC defense and find the right mismatch, he did it really well in the 2 games in RS, and he's theonly player in the whole league I trust against this type of defense.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,123

Post#67 » by Mavrelous » Tue May 7, 2024 11:08 am

In addition to Luka, PJ and DJJ should shoot and not hesitate, Gafford and Lively should attqck the offensive glass.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Darren
RealGM
And1: 836

Post#68 » by Darren » Tue May 7, 2024 1:05 pm

I expect OKC to adopt similar strategy Minny proved successful handling Jokic and Murray. How Luka and young supporting cast perform affect the outcome mightily. It's a difficult series for Luka in particular. I think the injury will not be gone. OKC has the athleticism edge. Denying the ball, cutting into passing lanes, exhausting Luka...are all highly likely scenario.

As OKC has more 2-way contributors, OKC team will face less pressure compared to the Mavs. Most of the Mavs supporting cast are inconsistent in first round. Even Lively will face real challenges in upcoming series. In short, the Mavs has way more question marks than the OKC team.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 836

Post#69 » by Darren » Tue May 7, 2024 1:10 pm

To put it short, every game is an elimination game for the Mavs. The same is not true for the OKC team. The pressure is on the Mavs. The Mavs has to elevate their game to make the case. If the conditions remain unchanged, the chances of Mavs winning is as good as the Clippers without Leonard in the first round.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,000

Post#70 » by Dirk » Tue May 7, 2024 1:23 pm

I need a W here.

This re-sign Jason Kidd stuff*, added up to the Maxi loss... has really depressed me. Not because Maxi has been great or anything but because he has shown the ability to be very useful in the playoffs and there's no one else like him on the roster. *(and not because I'd care that much if Kidd stayed around, but just makes no sense to do it while in the playoffs just for beating the Clips)...

Gotta trust coach to find solutions, should we need some exotic ones vs the Thunder.

Did you know that Josh Giddey hit 50% from 3 in rd1? Leaving wide open possibly won't be a cheat code this time.
60/21/10
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,303

Post#71 » by Archx » Tue May 7, 2024 1:41 pm

Dirk wrote:I need a W here.

This re-sign Jason Kidd stuff*, added up to the Maxi loss... has really depressed me. Not because Maxi has been great or anything but because he has shown the ability to be very useful in the playoffs and there's no one else like him on the roster. *(and not because I'd care that much if Kidd stayed around, but just makes no sense to do it while in the playoffs just for beating the Clips)...

Gotta trust coach to find solutions, should we need some exotic ones vs the Thunder.

Did you know that Josh Giddey hit 50% from 3 in rd1? Leaving wide open possibly won't be a cheat code this time.

Don't worry, THJ masterclass incoming.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,718

Post#72 » by Bob8 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:44 pm

Mavrelous wrote:OKC perimeter defenders are merciless, this isn't the series for OMax, his time will come, he also was in crutches.
No one should handle the ball except Luka, Kai and Dante, anyone else will be stripped clean and given a wedgie midcourt, then pointed and laughed at, just watch the massacre at the end of the season.
It's the guards throwing lobs and kickouts، role players should be attacking close outs, dunking and shooting, nothing else.
This is a Luka series, he needs to bend OKC defense and find the right mismatch, he did it really well in the 2 games in RS, and he's theonly player in the whole league I trust against this type of defense.

Luka is 32/11/10 against Dort. I doubt very much Dort&co. can stop him, if his step back works. If he shoots like he was shooting against Clippers, then Mavs have minimal chance. Luka and Kyrie isolation will be crucial in this series. When/if Thunder change D on them, others will have to hit open shots.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#73 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 7, 2024 4:00 pm

Mavrelous wrote:In addition to Luka, PJ and DJJ should shoot and not hesitate, Gafford and Lively should attqck the offensive glass.

Its going to be ball-stopping, momentum killing Tim Hardaway with the ultimate green light, unfortunately. Better hope and pray the time off did the trick.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Swish77
Junior
And1: 86

Post#74 » by Swish77 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:07 pm

How many days has it been since OKC played?
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 967

Post#75 » by kacey ring » Tue May 7, 2024 4:12 pm

Swish77 wrote:How many days has it been since OKC played?

I counted 8 days.

If they are rusty then maybe we steal Game 1.
Swish77
Junior

Post#76 » by Swish77 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:26 pm

kacey ring wrote:

I counted 8 days.

Same thing I'm thinking. We have had what? 3 days off? But I'm sure Luka wishes he had 8 days off lol
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,718

Post#77 » by Bob8 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:45 pm

Swish77 wrote:
kacey ring wrote:

I counted 8 days.

Same thing I'm thinking. We have had what? 3 days off? But I'm sure Luka wishes he had 8 days off lol

4 days off. Problem is that Mavs play every second day from now on. First home game is early, so it's basically 1.5 days, travelling included.
Swish77
Junior

Post#78 » by Swish77 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:40 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
kacey ring wrote:
I counted 8 days.

4 days off. Problem is that Mavs play every second day from now on. First home game is early, so it's basically 1.5 days, travelling included.

Travelling is nothing from Dallas to OKC its like a 30ish min plane flight. Iv take it many times. the mavs will be sleeping in there beds at home after every game.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,121

Post#79 » by ChipotleWest » Tue May 7, 2024 11:01 pm

SGA 20+ free throws tonight.

Read on Twitter
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 131

Post#80 » by joesha1698 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:01 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:In addition to Luka, PJ and DJJ should shoot and not hesitate, Gafford and Lively should attqck the offensive glass.

Its going to be ball-stopping, momentum killing Tim Hardaway with the ultimate green light, unfortunately. Better hope and pray the time off did the trick.

Our 3 point shooting is already lacking. Maxi was probably our best role player 3 pt shooter in the 1st matchup. We need THJ shooting and I hope he's on.

Return to Dallas Mavericks