JES12 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

His defense was inconcistant at best.

Fine. You were right. Davis sucks.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#42 » by DDansby123 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:53 am

ppp000 wrote:I don't understand Avery's lineup late in the 4th, why didn't we have Diop in there?

Because he didn't think we should play 4-on-5 offensively. That's my guess, anyway.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#43 » by JES12 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:53 am

DDansby123 wrote:Watching this game, I realized how much we miss Damp.

Really?

Don't get me wrong, I like Damp and want him healthy come playoff time, but this was more of our team being over-confident (or lackadaisical) during the first 3 quarters causing NO DEFENSE combined with a very poor shooting first 3 quarters.
JES12
RealGM

Post#44 » by JES12 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:56 am

DDansby123 wrote:Because he didn't think we should play 4-on-5 offensively. That's my guess, anyway.
As much as I hate to admit this, I think Dirk got some super-star calls defensivley tonight. I think Dirk could have fouled and get a no call better than Diop could and I think Avery knew that. When you add that do Bass playing more offense (& FT%), I think Avery was wise doing the Dirk/Bass combo at the end.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by DDansby123 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:57 am

Really?

The entire team was lax in its effort, as you said, but the Mavs got outrebounded by one of the worst rebounding teams in the league. And we didn't have a second-chance point until the second half (as I recall). Anyway, relative to the rebounding of Diop and Bass, yeah, I'd say we missed Damp quite a bit.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by DDansby123 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:04 am

As much as I hate to admit this, I think Dirk got some super-star calls defensivley tonight. I think Dirk could have fouled and get a no call better than Diop could and I think Avery knew that. When you add that do Bass playing more offense (& FT%), I think Avery was wise doing the Dirk/Bass combo at the end.

Here's what I see with Bass v. Diop: Bass gives you a better offensive player, including one who can shoot FTs well, and a guy who can defend multiple positions, while Diop gives you a better basket-defender. As much as I like guys who defend the basket, I think the guy who gives you better performance in more situations is the best choice down the stretch. Couple that with my opinion that Diop really hasn't defended the basket as well this year as he did last, and I'd rather have Bass on the floor down the stretch than Diop.
JES12
RealGM

Post#47 » by JES12 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:08 am

DDansby123 wrote:I'd much rather trade Diop than Damp.

Talent wise, I agree with you 100%. But do you think Cuban would pay 30.5 mil (61 mil due to lux tax) for the two of them this year? Even more with Damp's raises the next 2 years?

If Shaq is coming to Dallas, Dampier is on his way out. That is the only way I see it. Damp may not end up in Miami, but Damp is definatly on his way out.
JES12
RealGM

Post#48 » by JES12 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:14 am

DDansby123 wrote:Here's what I see with Bass v. Diop: Bass gives you a better offensive player, including one who can shoot FTs well, and a guy who can defend multiple positions, while Diop gives you a better basket-defender. As much as I like guys who defend the basket, I think the guy who gives you better performance in more situations is the best choice down the stretch. Couple that with my opinion that Diop really hasn't defended the basket as well this year as he did last, and I'd rather have Bass on the floor down the stretch than Diop.

I'm starting to agree with this line of reasoning. Diop was handed the starting position tonight. They were his minutes to lose...and he did. 6 pts, 7 reb & 2 blks would be great for a 20 min game, but he had 34. Anytime Diop gets 30+ min, I expect 10+ reb, especially against a team with Blount as the starting center (6 pts & 2 blks were fine).

Diop has his minutes taken away and did not look hungry to earn them back.
Flash is the Future
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#49 » by Flash is the Future » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:22 am

JES12 wrote:My thoughts of tonight's game:

1) That had to be our worst 3 quarters this entire year, but I still give the Heat players a thumbs up for playing with emotion.

2) Who is the "4th starter" that Riley claimed to be without? Williams/Wade/Davis/Haslem/Shaq. I don't claim to be an expert on knowing the Miami team, but unless they have a scrub starting, I only count 3 starters out. Wright and Morning are part of the bench last I heard.
3) If Rip Hamilton is the best off-the-ball offensive 2 guard, Hassell has to be the best off-the-ball defensive 2 guard. He was great at denying his man an oppertunity to get the ball and when they did, they ended up "having to" pass back out or throw up a wild shot. Sad thing is Avery took him out after 7 minutes because of his poor shooting (1/1, 100%) and his foul trouble (0 fouls). :sigh:

4) I was going to give Avery some credit for only playing Stackhouse 13 min and Terry 26....til I heard Stack "suffered a hyperextended finger." BTW, I though only Wade is privledged enough to sit with a finger injury.

5) Howard had a terrible shooting night (7-17). Dirk not to far behind that (8-20). Harris was bad tonight also (5-13). However, Dirk and Harris also combined for 10 ast, 6 stls and 3 blks.

6) Bass was a no-show.

Dorell starts, Ricky comes off the bench in a role he's much more comfortable with.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by DDansby123 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:39 am

Talent wise, I agree with you 100%. But do you think Cuban would pay 30.5 mil (61 mil due to lux tax) for the two of them this year? Even more with Damp's raises the next 2 years?

If Shaq is coming to Dallas, Dampier is on his way out. That is the only way I see it. Damp may not end up in Miami, but Damp is definatly on his way out.

It depends. If we're going to lose Diop for nothing, Cuban might go for it. If he re-signs Diop, it could be $6M+ per year. Obviously, that's not Shaq's $20M per, but it would be a longer salary than Shaq's and it wouldn't provide us with the huge expiring salary that Shaq would. Plus, Shaq's an upgrade at C over Diop with championship experience.

I'm not 100% sure I'd do a deal with Shaq, Diop, and KVH as the centerpieces, but I'd strongly consider it.
JES12
RealGM

Post#51 » by JES12 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:56 am

Flash is the Future wrote:Dorell starts, Ricky comes off the bench in a role he's much more comfortable with.
Oh, okay. Thanks. It looks like he does have 39 starts in his 4 year career (most all those when Wade is injured), thus classifying him as a starter.

Looks like Riley is still great at skewing what he says to motivate his players.
Flash is the Future
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#52 » by Flash is the Future » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:10 am

Wait, what? Dorell's started basically all of December with Ricky on the bench. Penny started a little bit too before he go cut. Dorell's struggled greatly for PT with Riles, but he's finally getting it, so he hasn't started much in the past (except for November of last year).
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#53 » by catalyst » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:36 pm

I think Ddan and mavs2007 need a porch and beers.
oldeagle
Senior
And1: 0

Post#54 » by oldeagle » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:00 pm

ok, the mavs did not play with the intensity that would have been needed if Wade and Shaq were playing. But they did win. Just going through the motions for the win.
who's next?
Zoli
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#55 » by Zoli » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:52 am

Not a good game, even though they scored just 89 points, our defense was not good, i can't blame our guys after a very emotional game against the W's, it was just the lack of mental awereness against the Heat, if Shaq and Wade were playing, our guys would have been lot more focused, but maybe i'm wrong. What about Jones? Those treys were great, i did not know he is 7th all-time in three points made, that is something. Next game against Minnesota, i hope Josh and Devin can turn up a little, Dirk is really good lately, his defense is improving, at least the intensity of it.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,848

Post#56 » by dirkforpres » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:50 am

Terrible win... But ill take it.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#57 » by Flash3 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:16 pm

Who is the "4th starter" that Riley claimed to be without?

Wright.

Starting Line-Up: Williams/Wade/Wright/Haslem/Shaq.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.

Return to Dallas Mavericks