ImageImageImage

Mavericks Offseason Trade/Free Agent/Draft Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 941

Post#21 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:40 am

George (S&T 1 year 6M deal)
You think Cuban breaks the bank again? And besides, of all players George gets overpayed? :lol:

But i see your point, giving up on Josh for Vince/Redd is overpaying. Is having a starting five of five max players wishful thinking? I would be afraid to become the next Knicks.

If we get a No.2 option at SG im all for trading for Marion, but Marion is not a No.2 option. He is gifted and all, but he cant create for himself and that is a K.O. criteria right there.

I will do my first trade all day, Nocioni will add toughness this team is missing. Now what we do with Josh and Terry, idk. Maybe Houston blows up and we can swing Josh for TMac. Id love that.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 858

Post#22 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:You guys make it seem like Terry has value. He has not, hes overpayed, declining and on a multi-year contract to make it worse.
An expiring and/or 1st rounder for Terry is absolutely unrealistic.

I'm glad to see that someone else understands this.

Terry included in any package deal will decrease the value of any other Mavs player or trade pieces included the trade.

Avery goes crazy every game because of all the jump shots (especially when we have leads). Yet he relies on Dirk, Terry, Stack, and Howard to carry this team down the stretch.

Does anyone else see this horrifying picture besides me?

One of the reasons why I didn't want us to make the playoffs is because of the lack of trade pieces we will have in the off-season. Howard's value is dropping like real estate in Detroit with this PO exposure and Terry's negative value continues to head south.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant

Post#23 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:51 am

Rand10 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Terry + our late 1st for Maggette nearly went through last offseason. The Clippers didn't do it because they still would've sucked had the trade gone through.

Terry does have value, he just needs to go to a contending team where taking on his contract would be worth it.

Thats the problem. All other owners in the nba are cheap. Noone is willing to take on a 4-5 year deal for a inconsistent 6th man. The Clippers dont even know if Brand opts out in a couple of weeks, its like committing suicide to take on a 4-5 year contract in this business.

He does have value to us, but when no one is willing to take him on for literally nothing - im sorry, the Jet has negative value right now.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:52 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:George (S&T 1 year 6M deal)
You think Cuban breaks the bank again? And besides, of all players George gets overpayed? :lol:

But i see your point, giving up on Josh for Vince/Redd is overpaying. Is having a starting five of five max players wishful thinking? I would be afraid to become the next Knicks.

If we get a No.2 option at SG im all for trading for Marion, but Marion is not a No.2 option. He is gifted and all, but he cant create for himself and that is a K.O. criteria right there.

I will do my first trade all day, Nocioni will add toughness this team is missing. Now what we do with Josh and Terry, idk. Maybe Houston blows up and we can swing Josh for TMac. Id love that.

The problem is that with having no real valuable trade pieces in the off season, Cuban will have to resort to overpaying if he wants to improve this team.
Cuban's only chance is to go after guys that nobody else would touch because of their contracts. Trading Bass and/or Howard will only get us so much and it will be tough to get anyone who will actually improve.

I agree with your statement about Marion. I wouldn't want to trade Howard for Marion unless we have a guy like VC or Redd at SG. However, if we do get a solid SG with size who can score, Howard would be virtually worthless to us at SF...at least on offense.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#25 » by Pointguard01 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:59 am

Basically, we need that one guy that can consistently be a 1b scoring option for us, and get a shot for himself and others whenever he wants. If we dont, we are not going to go anywhere. Most of us have already known this problem for a while yet out mgmt still thinks Terry/Stack/Howard could do it. Honestly, I am so close to wanting to rebuild, its not funny.

I dont know if Redd can be that guy. Can he? Is the risk worth trading for him and then he cannot? I dont know. But every other contending team has a player that can always score when need be. Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Paul Pierce, Rasheed Wallace, Tim Duncan. Dirk is great and I love him, but when he gets pressure, he takes tough shots. When he makes them, great, but when he can't, we are so screwed. And his passing out of pressure absolutely sucks.
Rand10
Starter
And1: 39

Post#26 » by Rand10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:07 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:Thats the problem. All other owners in the nba are cheap. Noone is willing to take on a 4-5 year deal for a inconsistent 6th man. The Clippers dont even know if Brand opts out in a couple of weeks, its like committing suicide to take on a 4-5 year contract in this business.

Terry is still a starter in the right situation. He needs to be put next to a playmaker that can attack the basket. That's Lebron in a nutshell. Like I said, it would be dumb for a bad team to take on Terry's deal, but send him to a contender that could really use him and he definitely has value imo.
He does have value to us, but when no one is willing to take him on for literally nothing - im sorry, the Jet has negative value right now.

Right, because we've tried to dump him for nothing and failed :crazy:

Our management might be in love with our players, but at least they don't undervalue them and trade them off for junk.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:08 am

Pointguard01 wrote:Basically, we need that one guy that can consistently be a 1b scoring option for us, and get a shot for himself and others whenever he wants. If we dont, we are not going to go anywhere. Most of us have already known this problem for a while yet out mgmt still thinks Terry/Stack/Howard could do it. Honestly, I am so close to wanting to rebuild, its not funny.

I dont know if Redd can be that guy. Can he? Is the risk worth trading for him and then he cannot? I dont know. But every other contending team has a player that can always score when need be. Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Paul Pierce, Rasheed Wallace, Tim Duncan. Dirk is great and I love him, but when he gets pressure, he takes tough shots. When he makes them, great, but when he can't, we are so screwed. And his passing out of pressure absolutely sucks.

If we could get a player like that, we wouldn't need Kidd imo.
I think we really need to seriously consider the chemistry with Kidd before signing him to any extension. His expiring could be of great value to land us a player that can be a second scoring option.
The only problem is that the KGs, Kobes, Ray Allens, Iversons, and Gasols are not available now. About all that we have to choose from this season is JO and Brand.

Any other decent disgruntled NBA players out there that might have an impact as a second scoring option? Maybe Mike Miller???
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am

Rand10 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Right, because we've tried to dump him for nothing and failed :crazy:

Our management might be in love with our players, but at least they don't undervalue them and trade them off for junk.

That "love" is what will kill us in the off season.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:26 pm

Another idea:

Dallas
Out: Josh Howard, Stackhouse, Eddie Jones, S/T George (with Bass's salary works in tradechecker)
In: Vince Carter, Travis Outlaw, Rudy Fernandez

Portland
Out: Travis Outlaw, Rudy Fernandez, Raef LaFrentz
In: Josh Howard, Stackhouse

New Jersey
Out: Vince Carter
In: Eddie Jones, George, Raef LaFrentz

New Lineup:
Dampier / Diop
Dirk / Bass
Carter / Outlaw
Fernandez / Jet
Kidd / Lue
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Post#30 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:40 pm

C_O, I like it a lot. Especially with Diop-Diop back.
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,932

Post#31 » by arkuo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:14 pm

all dallas needs to prioritize as of now is to bring diop back....

kidd and terry can start together ala kidd and kerry kittles before in NJ....

kidd just needs to run more and have good running mates who play above the rim.... any "no name" high flyer would do this team good... kidd has made a lot of his team mates a lot of money in his career... we just need to bring the right pieces...

somebody like jamario moon would suffice, i guess...
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:12 pm

What about Gerald Green lol
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter

Post#33 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Gerald Green = major head case
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Q 

Post#34 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:What about Gerald Green lol

Low basketball IQ and poor attitude. I personally like the game, but he has issues, however I would like to see him get things together and end up having a productive career.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#35 » by JES12 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:02 pm

Diop's not coming back.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter

Post#36 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 pm

and how do you know that for sure, JES? Diop lived here for 4 years. He loved it in Dallas. The man won't like living in cold again like he did in Cleveland. He's coming back, especially if Avery's gone.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#37 » by JES12 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:12 pm

Because Avery, thus his doghouse, is still here in Dallas.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:16 pm

your_dallas_mavericks wrote:and how do you know that for sure, JES? Diop lived here for 4 years. He loved it in Dallas. The man won't like living in cold again like he did in Cleveland. He's coming back, especially if Avery's gone.

Don't hold your breath. Diop can buy a fine coat and scarf with the amount of money New Jersey will sign him to.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter

Post#39 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Dallas will make a play for him. They know he's worth it. Avery may not, but the rest of the Mavs brass does.
SportsBoy
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#40 » by SportsBoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:54 am

Rand10 wrote:
Trade 1: http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4567783
Dallas: Terry, Bass for Artest
Cleveland: Eric Snow (exp.), 19th pick for Terry
Sacramento: Artest for Eric Snow, Bass, 19th pick

1. Cavs will not take on Terry's contract.
2. our 1st will be used to get a young PF or Center.

Return to Dallas Mavericks