ImageImageImage

Mavericks Offseason Trade/Free Agent/Draft Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 941

Re: Mavericks Offseason Trade/Free Agent/Draft Thread 

Post#301 » by Captain_Obvious » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:02 am

I dont know what this FO is waiting for....

Trade Josh for Vince, its that obvious!

Vince is a much more improved three point shooter and a much much much better passer than Howard. Just think of a PP like player on our roster... It just makes sense!

And Josh on the NJ roster just makes as much sense...

And the sad part is, i so believe that Josh will get much better here or with Devin in NJ, but i dont trust him in clutch situations anymore, when you show what youre made off. Josh is made of paper and he will fail everytime in a Mavs uniform...

Damp / Diop
Dirk / Bass / Singleton
Vince / George / Terry(R)
Foster / Terry (j) / Green
Kidd / Terry(j) / Scrub on min contract

I think we should keep Bass. Everyone knows if they trade for Bass's real tradevalue he's worth MLE money and that means he will choose his next team. I say lets keep him and use our MLE on him as he wants to stay here hopefully.
I also think you need promising players like Foster, guys that try their hardest, that play with their hearts out. This guy will rejuvenate the roster with his passion! Its not always about talent, is there really more talent somewhere than Dirk, Vince and Kidd? Foster is the real deal! I dont give a crap about Green, if he breaks out he will leave us anyway.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#302 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 pm

I think we should keep Bass. Everyone knows if they trade for Bass's real tradevalue he's worth MLE money and that means he will choose his next team. I say lets keep him and use our MLE on him as he wants to stay here hopefully.

The problem is we are paying Diop & Dampier 16 million a year. They are gonna basically take up all the minutes at center. Dirk's obviously going to get 36+ minutes at PF. That means Bass might get 15 minutes between the PF/C positions a night. He could get away with playing SF in some situations, but honestly, it wouldnt be something he can consistently do. Playing him less than 20 minutes/night isnt using him to the Max. I love the guy, but I think with the signing of Diop, he's the odd man out.

I also think you need promising players like Foster, guys that try their hardest, that play with their hearts out. This guy will rejuvenate the roster with his passion! Its not always about talent, is there really more talent somewhere than Dirk, Vince and Kidd? Foster is the real deal! I dont give a crap about Green, if he breaks out he will leave us anyway.

Mark Madsen goes harder than anyone, but Im not sure he should even be in the NBA.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 941

Post#303 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:56 am

Pointguard01 wrote:

The problem is we are paying Diop & Dampier 16 million a year. They are gonna basically take up all the minutes at center. Dirk's obviously going to get 36+ minutes at PF. That means Bass might get 15 minutes between the PF/C positions a night. He could get away with playing SF in some situations, but honestly, it wouldnt be something he can consistently do. Playing him less than 20 minutes/night isnt using him to the Max. I love the guy, but I think with the signing of Diop, he's the odd man out.

I'm sure we can give Bass a few more minutes at SF with Dirk on the perimeter. I dont think anyone was really happy with Bass guarding the opposing center. Bass guarding Shaq vs Phx was one of the more embarrassing moments last season IMO.
And there's still the possibility of Dirk needing more rest or other injury concerns.

I really agree that we should trade Bass in our current situation but his value is deflated by his contract situation. Possible trading partners need more money than the MLE next season to make a trade reasonable for them and at the same time that puts them out of a big FA offseason. Of course its not too appealing for us to know right now our MLE money next season will probably go to Bass.
Pointguard01 wrote:

Mark Madsen goes harder than anyone, but Im not sure he should even be in the NBA.

Mark Madsen? :lol: Thats a low blow.

But seriously, if i recall a player that succeeded at SG for us in recent years, i have to go with Adrian Griffin. I know the JET was in his prime at that time. I think we both can agree that Griffin wasnt the most talented player at his position even on this team but his dedication and his solid skillset made him so valueable to us.
In a possible Vince - Howard swap i think Foster would be a great fit on this team.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Where we stand 

Post#304 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Where we currently stand:

Players Under Contract before FA began:
Kidd
Terry
Stack
Jo. Howard
Dirk
Bass
Damp

Mavs who were FA:
UNSIGNED:
Ju. Howard

LOST:
Lue (Bucks)
Allen (Bucks)
Magloire (Heat)

RE-SIGNED:
Jones (Player Option)
Wright
Barea
George

Players signed by the Mavs:
Diop (NJ)
Green (Hou)
Singleton (LAC)

Summer League Stars for the Mavs:
Rhodes
Miles

Mavs 2nd Rounders:
R. Terry (2007)
Sebuitis (2007)
Foster (2008 off to Europe)
mavsfoty
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#305 » by mavsfoty » Fri Aug 8, 2008 8:22 pm

With Josh Smith no longer an option I have no clue where the Mavs go from here. I don't think they have any chance at Iguodala so what now?
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#306 » by DDansby123 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:09 pm

My prediction: we make some kind of stupid move to get Ben Gordon.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#307 » by HMFFL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:58 pm

DDansby123 wrote:My prediction: we make some kind of stupid move to get Ben Gordon.

Ew! I like him, but I continue to remind myself of the amount of money he wants, and that's what turns me off. I just don't like what he completely brings and we already have players like him that can score.

But...knowing our management we pursue him!
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,601

Post#308 » by Bernman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:22 pm

Bucks fan here who has always had an affinity for Bass since he was an NBA prospect (had him ranked around the 8th best player in that draft beforehand). I'd love for my team to acquire him because we need a rugged power forward who plays some defense, but I don't think that Milwaukee and Dallas are good trading partners. We'd have to arrange a 3 or 4-way (bowchickabowow).

What are your specific needs/wants? I can't really tell for sure looking at your depth chart. Maybe an upgrade at center and a sixth man, for that Bass/Stackhouse combo. Does Nazr Mohammed do anything for you at all? I realize quite a bit of money is tied into 2 centers but arguably he's an upgrade there. Charlotte needs a power forward who can shoot to compliment Okafor and that doesn't describe Mohammed, we could send them Villanueva, that's why I bring him up. I'm not sure who the 4th team would be for certain who could supply a 6th man, maybe Chicago with Sefolosha (could end up much better to a little worse than a 6th man).

Unless Bass will be a restricted free agent next offseason I would think anybody who makes more of an impact this season/beyond than he is allowed backing up the best player on your team would make sense. Who you think that would be you tell me.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,601

Post#309 » by Bernman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:09 pm

I came up with this idea:

Dallas gets- John Salmons
Bucks get- Brandon Bass, Dallas' choice of filler (would have to be Wright OR Barea OR 2 of Singleton, Mcloed, or Green)
Sacramento gets: Charlie Villanueva (expiring), Eddie Jones (expiring), Bucks 2009 2nd; Sacto should have no delusions that they can even sniff the playoffs in the west for a couple years with their current roster

It would take a couple months to be approved because all of the filler players from the Mavs have been recently signed.

And then if you're insistent on trading Stack it can occur in a separate trade. I don't a point in fixating on the idea they'd have to be packaged together.

What do you guys think of the trade from your perspective?
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#310 » by jwa1107 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:55 pm

yuck

Bass>>>>>>>Salmons
Sken
Junior

Post#311 » by Sken » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:23 am

Bernman wrote:I came up with this idea:

Dallas gets- John Salmons
Bucks get- Brandon Bass, Dallas' choice of filler (would have to be Wright OR Barea OR 2 of Singleton, Mcloed, or Green)
Sacramento gets: Charlie Villanueva (expiring), Eddie Jones (expiring), Bucks 2009 2nd; Sacto should have no delusions that they can even sniff the playoffs in the west for a couple years with their current roster

It would take a couple months to be approved because all of the filler players from the Mavs have been recently signed.

And then if you're insistent on trading Stack it can occur in a separate trade. I don't a point in fixating on the idea they'd have to be packaged together.

What do you guys think of the trade from your perspective?

That trade would have to wait until the middle of December as you mention due to the filler, but IF Milwaukee is willing to move Villanueva, for that type of package I'd rather have CV than Salmons.
10:20 (pm, 6/29/06) The Mavs take Maurice Ager at No. 28... Ager walks up to the stage in a triple-breasted, oversized beige suit, goes to shake hands with Stern and immediately gets whistled for a foul on Dwyane Wade.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#312 » by catalyst » Fri Sep 5, 2008 7:51 pm

Time to let this go until something actually happens.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#313 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:18 am

Trade ID #4767131

I want to hear from a wide range of DAL fans about this deal. Please be as thorough as possible with your answers, and I will make an effort to check this thread periodically to see the results.

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players: Nene Hilario, Allen Iverson, Martell Webster
Outgoing Players: Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Erick Dampier, future 1st to DEN
The Mavericks double-down on their bet with Kidd, and bring in another elite vet to go for it all now.
Kidd, Iverson, Webster, Nowtizki, Diop
Barea, Foster, Green, Bass, Nene

Denver Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players: Erick Dampier, Steve Blake, Raef LaFrentz, future 1sts from POR and DAL
Outgoing Players: Steven Hunter, Nene Hilario, Allen Iverson
Teh Nuggets clear some post-2010 capspace, and bring in players more suited to complement their franchise wing duo.
Blake, Smith, Anthony, Martin, Dampier
Carter, Jones, Kleiza, Balkman, Andersen

Portland Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players: Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Steven Hunter
Outgoing Players: Martell Webster, Steve Blake, Raef LaFrentz, future 1st to DEN
POR bring in a PG who has the shooting, defense and off-the-ball abilities to be great alongside Roy. Howard is a stud SF who is willing to take the tough defensive assignments. Hunter is an insurance big (hey, he's better than Raef).
Terry, Roy, Howard, Aldridge, Oden
Bayless, Fernandez, Outlaw, Frye, Pryzbilla
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Re: Where we stand 

Post#314 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:24 pm

your_dallas_mavericks wrote:Where we currently stand:

Players Under Contract before FA began:
Kidd
Terry
Stack
Jo. Howard
Dirk
Bass
Damp

Mavs who were FA:
UNSIGNED:
Ju. Howard

LOST:
Lue (Bucks)
Allen (Bucks)
Magloire (Heat)

RE-SIGNED:
Jones (Player Option)
Wright
Barea
George

Players signed by the Mavs:
Diop (NJ)
Green (Hou)
Singleton (LAC)

Summer League Stars for the Mavs:
Rhodes
Miles

Mavs 2nd Rounders:
R. Terry (2007)
Sebuitis (2007)
Foster (2008 off to Europe)

And that is it?!?!?!?
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#315 » by call.me.dude » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:44 pm

jwa1107 wrote:yuck

Bass>>>>>>>Salmons

:o
????????

Bass: I really like this kid. but he's your typical undersized, but strong and high-energy PF. not that good as a SF. Clearly will never be anything more than a back-up guy, although a pretty good one (maybe a starter on bad teams). Jason Maxiell light...

Salmons: can play everywhere from PG to SF. Good shooter, defender, passer/playmaker and decent rebounder for his position. Can be a 16/5/4 guy on that Sacramento team - which means legit second or third option on most teams. Jason Terry plus size, defense, similar clutch performance but with less leadership and experience of course.

IMO it's the other way around but mabye with less ">".
Salmons >>> Bass
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...

Return to Dallas Mavericks