The Official Brandon Bass to Orlando thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,064

The Official Brandon Bass to Orlando thread 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:24 am

Free agent forward Brandon Bass is interested in signing with the Hornets, whom he played for from 2005-2007.
Bass averaged 8.5 points and 4.5 rebounds as a reserve with the Mavericks last season, a role he's apparently willing to reprise behind David West in New Orleans. The Mavs, Nets, Thunder and Pistons are all potential suitors for Bass. Link
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Re: Official Brandon Bass Free Agency Thread 

Post#2 » by JES12 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:08 am

Brandon Bass is drawing a lot of attention on the free agent market, according to his agent.

"Brandon likes Dallas and appreciates the Mavericks," agent Tony Dutt said. "He will certainly look at that, but he will look at other options, too. I'm pretty comfortable in saying he's going to get a ton of interest."

Bass is believed to be seeking the mid-level exception, which is expected to be worth between $5 million and $5.5 million.

Dutt added that Bass isn't necessarily looking to sign with a team where he can start. But it could be a consideration, given that quality teams such as Orlando and San Antonio could be in the market for a starting power forward.

DMN

We need to secure Bass so we do not have to use the BAE on Singleton or part of them MLE on Gooden, Joe Smith type guy.
jlp0807
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by jlp0807 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:39 am

I like Bass as much as the next guy, but do you think we over-value Bass like other Mav roll players? How much are we willing to pay Dirk's backup? Id almost rather get someone that is big enough to back up Dirk and the C position... Bass plays bigger than he is, but he is still pretty small.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:43 am

It won't hurt my feelings if Brandon Bass signs with another team. I only want him if the price is right because the last thing we need to do is jeopardize our future. Donnie desperately needs to find us a shot blocker to come off our bench.
jlp0807
Junior

Post#5 » by jlp0807 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:53 am

That's what Im saying. Id much rather spend the money on someone like Chris "Birdman" Andersen that can at least get a few BLKS. We cannot compete with the Denvers of the world b/c they are bigger, faster, stronger than we are. We need shot blockers and bigger guys in general.
JES12
RealGM

Post#6 » by JES12 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:01 am

I definately want Anderson with the MLE, but Bass uses none of our MLE dollars. We need to sign him to his fair market value and if need be, use him in a trade later (i.e., next year with Dampier after the BYC expires)

If Bass leaves, we are losing a very valuble player and asset and taking a very huge step back in the western conference.

I think a Jason Maxiell like 4 year $20 mil or a Turiaf like 4 year $17 mil would be great.
jlp0807
Junior

Post#7 » by jlp0807 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:19 am

You honestly think losing Bass would be taking a "huge step back in the western conference"?!? Really, a huge step back for a guy that barely saw the floor and is the backup for our best player?

This is a guy that isnt agile enough to play the 3 and too small to play the 5. His only true value would be in a trade. Other than that, he is just a nice piece for a few minutes per game.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,834

Post#8 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:24 am

Bass is way overrated. He is a great rebounder, but nothing too exciting out of that. If he resigns, great. If he leaves, there are plenty of other PFs just as good.
FIRE JASON KIDD
TheLSUMaverick
Senior

Post#9 » by TheLSUMaverick » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:38 am

I most definitely want Bass back no doubt about it he is AMAZING and we need his energy and strength.That said if we could get better for cheaper then by all means. If you leave Brandon...Please don't go to the Hornets i beg you i beg you i beg you! I HATE THE HORNETS!!!!!!!
JES12
RealGM

Post#10 » by JES12 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:54 am

It's amazing how soon people forget. We had no one who can score in the paint befoe Bass came over. We all bitched about it and now that has been reduced to not someone who can score in the paint that is taller than 6'8"

Add in the fact that bigs who can hit a free throw are hard to come by, Bass is a gem!
JES12
RealGM

Post#11 » by JES12 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:55 am

dirkforpres wrote:Bass is way overrated. He is a great rebounder, but nothing too exciting out of that. If he resigns, great. If he leaves, there are plenty of other PFs just as good.

You no nothing about him.

He is not a great rebounder. Decent, yes, but great, no. But he can score inside, can hit the jumpshot, can hit the free throw, can play defense and can rebound.

We need all of that and there are not many PFs out there who can do all of that.

And at the playing time comment, he gets 19 MPG. That is a huge chunk of playing time. At the SF comment, why don't you go back an watch the Dallas/Denver series and see who the only player in a Maverick uniform Melo had huge difficulty scoring on was. Hint: he is the topic of this thread.
sweet daddy
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#12 » by sweet daddy » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:09 am

JES' point is that Bass is an asset. He obviously has value on the market, and we can't afford to just lose assets without getting anything in return. We don't have enough assets to improve this team if young players like Bass are allowed to walk.
'daddy knows best'
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#13 » by studcrackers » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:11 am

how bout go after lamar odom? i think he'd be ideal, plus i think he can play 3 positions, im not sure if the lakers can afford both he and ariza
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:11 am

My biggest knock on Bass is the amount of money he may receive. His actual height is 6' 7.25" with shoes and 6' 6.25" without. The good things about him everyone needs to remember is his age, how athletic he is, his long arms, and the amount of potiential he still has.

I see no reason for him to stay with us if we're unable to offer him between 25-30 mpg. Signing with us will hurt his career and keep him from making more money during the future.
JES12
RealGM

Post#15 » by JES12 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:15 am

studcrackers wrote:how bout go after lamar odom? i think he'd be ideal, plus i think he can play 3 positions, im not sure if the lakers can afford both he and ariza

What part of Bass does not cost the MLE do people not understand?

If we sign Bass to a $5 mil deal, we still have our MLE
If we sign Odumb to the MLE, we lose the MLE.

We should not waste the MLE on a PF....and if we do, it is because we lost Bass.
jlp0807
Junior

Post#16 » by jlp0807 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:18 am

I never said he didnt have value or that he sucked. I just wondered how much $$ we really wanted to throw his way. So he can score down low... True we do need that. But we need that from a starter at the C playing 30-40 mins per game, not a reserve playing against scrubs. Bass is talented, but he isnt worth more than a couple mil per year on ANY roster that hopes to make a splash in the playoffs. Yes, a 6'8" PF is a problem. So Melo had an issue with him, thats b/c by the time Bass got in there he was a little winded from bending us over (along with every other tall, athletic player on their roster.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#17 » by studcrackers » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:20 am

JES12 wrote:
studcrackers wrote:how bout go after lamar odom? i think he'd be ideal, plus i think he can play 3 positions, im not sure if the lakers can afford both he and ariza

What part of Bass does not cost the MLE do people not understand?

If we sign Bass to a $5 mil deal, we still have our MLE
If we sign Odumb to the MLE, we lose the MLE.

We should not waste the MLE on a PF....and if we do, it is because we lost Bass.

i think odom is a good back up for the 3, 4 and 5 positions though
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
JES12
RealGM

Post#18 » by JES12 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:23 am

I don't see Odumb as a center at all. And he is not great at the SF. He is definately a PF, but can be called a SF/PF tweener like Outaw, Marion and Smith.
jlp0807
Junior

Post#19 » by jlp0807 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:28 am

I have no desire to sign Odom or Marion. Im also hoping we dont make a HUGE mistake and go after Anderson Varejao... but I wouldnt put it past Donnie.

I agree with JES that we should make Bass a priority, so that we can concentrate on other needs, I just think he will get a larger offer elsewhere and be gone. I could see him backing up David Lee at PF for OKC if they could sign them both. OKC may be one of the best teams in the West in 5 years.
sweet daddy
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#20 » by sweet daddy » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:37 am

jlp0807 wrote:I have no desire to sign Odom or Marion. Im also hoping we dont make a HUGE mistake and go after Anderson Varejao... but I wouldnt put it past Donnie.

I agree with JES that we should make Bass a priority, so that we can concentrate on other needs, I just think he will get a larger offer elsewhere and be gone. I could see him backing up David Lee at PF for OKC if they could sign them both. OKC may be one of the best teams in the West in 5 years.

Which is why we need to retain him. He can keep us where we are and make improving easier, or he can go elsewhere, make a competitor better, and make it harder for us to keep pace. This is a business, folks, that can employ 15 players. The team that can put together the best 15 player roster is the winner! You give up your rights to a usable, marketable asset, and you do this on a recurring basis, and you lose!

We need to retain Bass, just like we need to retain Kidd. This ain't rocket science.
'daddy knows best'

Return to Dallas Mavericks