ImageImage

Fuentes back on Cards Radar

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Fuentes back on Cards Radar 

Post#1 » by boogiesdad » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:57 am

LAS VEGAS -- Things change quickly at baseball's Winter Meetings.

On Monday night, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak shot down any serious likelihood of his team signing free-agent left-hander Brian Fuentes. On Tuesday, two apparently imminent signings may have increased the chances again somewhat.

"I doubt it will change," Mozeliak said when asked about an earlier assertion that the Cardinals were out of the bidding on Fuentes. "But I don't know where that market is going yet."

It's that caveat that makes things a little more interesting. Because on Tuesday, the market appeared to move in a direction friendly to teams seeking closers.

According to multiple reports, Francisco Rodriguez has agreed to a three-year deal with the Mets that includes a vesting fourth-year option, worth a guaranteed $37 million. Meanwhile, MLB.com is reporting that the Indians are close to a two-year pact with Kerry Wood.

Both deals would seem to indicate a somewhat depressed market for closers, and that's a circumstance that could conceivably get the Cardinals back in on Fuentes. ESPN.com reported on Tuesday that Fuentes, formerly of the Rockies, "may end up with the Cardinals or Angels."

The Cardinals attempted to trade for Fuentes at the non-waiver Trade Deadline in 2008, but were unwilling to meet the Rockies' asking price. Fuentes is just one of a large number of ninth-inning prospects on the free-agent and trade markets.

All-time saves leader Trevor Hoffman is a free agent, though Mozeliak said Monday that St. Louis is not a player for Hoffman's services. Chad Cordero, who formerly closed for Washington, is also a free agent, but the Cardinals have concerns about Cordero's health. The right-hander made only six appearances in 2008 due to a shoulder injury for which he had surgery in July.

Seattle, meanwhile, is reportedly shopping J.J. Putz, the 2007 American League Rolaids Relief Award winner.

A FOXSports.com report on Tuesday morning linked St. Louis to Atlanta on a possible deal for Mike Gonzalez, but the Braves are unlikely to deal the left-hander. And Mozeliak downplayed the possibility of a swap for Philadelphia's Ryan Madson, saying he found it difficult to envision trading for a pitcher from another team and making that pitcher a closer for the first time.

From MLB.com
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Re: Fuentes back on Cards Radar 

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm not crazy about the thought of paying big bucks AND losing a first-round draft pick in order to get Fuentes. Regardless of the problems the Cardinals had closing games last season, very few guys who pitch only 70 innings a year are worth an eight-figure annual salary. I don't think Fuentes would be worth it.

If you're willing to lose the first-rounder and give $10 million a year to Fuentes...what the hell, go all out and give $14 million a year to Ben Sheets instead. Big money for a top-of-the-rotation starter makes a lot more sense to me.

Mayyybe if we got Fuentes, then turned around and packaged either Perez or Motte with one of our outfielders in a trade for a very good, cost-controlled starting pitcher, it would all make sense. Or maybe not.

Return to St. Louis Cardinals