ImageImage

Will We Catch Milwaukee?

pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Will We Catch Milwaukee? 

Post#1 » by pacerfan » Mon Jun 4, 2007 1:46 pm

Good grief, our lowly Birds are only 6 and 1/2 out. Albert looks like he might be ready to go on a tear. Our fellow division teams are not playing well either. Will we catch Milwaukee?
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Jun 4, 2007 3:01 pm

I honestly think there's a chance. The Brewers are awfully reliant on young guys who haven't done this before, the Cubs are falling apart, and everyone else stinks. I wouldn't be surprised if 83-85 wins is all it takes to win the division this year. We could get there on one sustained hot streak, just like last year.

We need Pujols to get hot and stay hot, and for the rest of the lineup to be somewhere north of abysmal, and for the starting rotation to hang in there for the next couple of months, and for Carpenter and/or Mulder to come to the rescue in August.

Probably all of those things are not going to happen, and I'd be pissed if we started throwing away good farm prospects on trades to augment this year's mediocre team. But even so I'm not ready to give up on 2007 just yet.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#3 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Jun 4, 2007 7:52 pm

I think it's very doubtful.

The Brewers should only get better throughout the season.

They have an ace in AAA right now in Yovani Gallardo that is actually ready for the big leagues but there taking it slow with him. Once Gallardo gets called up I expect him to be the best pitcher in the NL Central. (BTW the Reds future ace, Homer Bailey, is pitching Saturday verse the Indians I'm not expecting him to do well but if you wanna see the future of the NL Central you should watch him.) They just called up an all-star caliber 3rd baseman in Ryan Braun who should perform fairly well this season.

Also Prince Fielder is one of the best hitters in the game, I'm not sure that JJ Hardy can keep up what he's doing, but if he does thats not good for us.

I think our pitching staff has been pretty unlucky this year (other than Looper and Thompson). so I expect Wainwright and Wells to get better, and Anthony if he ever makes it back. I think our hitting could get better, but that mostly has to do with Rolen and Edmonds. I still predict us to finish in 3rd this season, like I did at the beginning of the season.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#4 » by boogiesdad » Tue Jun 5, 2007 1:17 am

its a slow start we will be fine by the break
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#5 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Jun 6, 2007 9:03 am

God you guys are so optimistic, I gotta get some of those happy pills you guys take.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#6 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Jun 6, 2007 3:21 pm

We're going to need to keep taking them all summer. :wink:
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by pacerfan » Thu Jun 7, 2007 2:30 am

mizzoupacers wrote:(picture)

We're going to need to keep taking them all summer. :wink:

Doubly so for joint Cardinals and Pacers fans. Just what I needed; I might use that for my avatar sometime.
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by pacerfan » Thu Jun 7, 2007 4:24 am

Only four games under .500 after tonight and five game behind Milwaukee. Much better picture than 10 days ago. :)

Return to St. Louis Cardinals