ImageImage

Scott Rolen

StlFan21
Ballboy
And1: 0

Scott Rolen 

Post#1 » by StlFan21 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:13 pm

There has been talk lately about Scott Rolen being traded....Looking for thoughts on this and what you think we could get for him
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:24 pm

I really don't see it happening.

But if it did, in order to get a good player back we would have to pay some of Rolens contract. If a team takes on his contract fully, I doubt we get a mlb caliber player back. But hey then again there are some GMs out there who don't always do the conventional wisdom thing and like to overpay, so anything could happen.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#3 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:15 pm

I hope we keep Rolen.

People forget sometimes just how good he was before he got hurt in 2005. And he's not that old, either...he'll turn 33 at the beginning of next season, meaning he could have several good seasons left in his career if only this latest surgery can get him healthy again.

I know that when you combine the injury history with the La Russa feud and the big-ass contract, there's plenty of reason to think that it's just not going to work out from here on out between Rolen and the Cardinals. But I guess I'd rather stick with it and hope to see a productive Rolen again than trade him for some mediocrity. I can't see anyone else we are likely to bring in who is likely to be anywhere near as good at third as Rolen still could get back to being.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:58 pm

Well it looks like Mozeliak came out and said Rolen is available now, which to me has to mean that he's getting traded.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:04 pm

Yeah, you're probably right.

Things must really be bad between Rolen and La Russa.

Rolen will probably bounce back and hit 40 HRs next season for the Red Sox. :cry: With the Cardinals paying three-fourths of his salary. :cry:
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#6 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Peter Gammons said that Rolen will probably end up a Brewer. Not sure what the Brewers would be sending the Cardinals way
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:48 pm

willeatfire4playoffsinmil wrote:Peter Gammons said that Rolen will probably end up a Brewer. Not sure what the Brewers would be sending the Cardinals way

Prince, Gallardo, Braun, and Weeks for Rolen? Hell we'll even pick up his contract. :P

Really not sure, I would much rather trade Rolen to an AL like Reyes, because both have the talent to comeback and bite the Cards in the ass. Also I believe Melvin said the Cards were asking a lot for Rolen so whatever that means.
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#8 » by WEFFPIM » Sat Dec 1, 2007 7:00 am

bigboy1234 wrote:Prince, Gallardo, Braun, and Weeks for Rolen? Hell we'll even pick up his contract. :P

Really not sure, I would much rather trade Rolen to an AL like Reyes, because both have the talent to comeback and bite the Cards in the ass. Also I believe Melvin said the Cards were asking a lot for Rolen so whatever that means.

According to Ken Rosenthal, this is the deal being discussed:

Scott Rolen
Either Wayne Franklin or Randy Flores

for

Chris Capuano
Kevin Mench
Tony Gwynn Jr.

I would imagine the Cardinals would be eating salary as well.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by bigboy1234 » Sat Dec 1, 2007 10:01 am

^That would be a bad deal for the Cards, so Rosenthal better be wrong. Plus I don't see how that rumor is true if Rosenthal said Gwynn was in it, the Cards have absolutely no need for him, and plus he sucks and Ludwick is better than Mench.

I'm doubting that the asking price that Melvin said was a lot, was for that package. But hell I've been wrong before.
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#10 » by WEFFPIM » Sat Dec 1, 2007 5:44 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:^That would be a bad deal for the Cards, so Rosenthal better be wrong. Plus I don't see how that rumor is true if Rosenthal said Gwynn was in it, the Cards have absolutely no need for him, and plus he sucks and Ludwick is better than Mench.

I'm doubting that the asking price that Melvin said was a lot, was for that package. But hell I've been wrong before.

Yeah, this is definitely a better deal on the Brewers end of things, but if the Cardinals are that adamant about getting Rolen out of St. Louis, they may accept anything.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#11 » by BuckFan25226 » Mon Dec 3, 2007 1:09 am

willeatfire4playoffsinmil wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

According to Ken Rosenthal, this is the deal being discussed:

Scott Rolen
Either Wayne Franklin or Randy Flores

for

Chris Capuano
Kevin Mench
Tony Gwynn Jr.

I would imagine the Cardinals would be eating salary as well.

blehhhhh, might as well just give Rolen away. I don't want any part of Cappy or Mench. Tony Gwynn I would like, but not packaged with Mench and Cappy.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
StlFan21
Ballboy

Post#12 » by StlFan21 » Mon Dec 3, 2007 10:44 pm

Just read on mlbtraderumors.com that the Cards are talking about a rolen and duncan for blalock swap. Not really something that I would do if I was gm, but I guess there is a reason I'm not...What do you guys think?
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Dec 4, 2007 3:45 am

I think that'd be horrible.

Edit-I don't even think the Cards would do Duncan for Blalock straight up.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Dec 4, 2007 10:01 pm

Talks between the St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers about third baseman Scott Rolen have cooled because, according to one source who spoke with the two teams, the Cardinals are hesitant to trade Rolen within the division.

The teams were talking about a deal that would have sent Rolen to Milwaukee for pitcher Chris Capuano and a top prospect. The Brewers also would have paid all of the $33 million in salary Rolen is owed over the next three years, while the Cardinals would have assumed the $14 million in deferred salary and what remained of Rolen's $5 million signing bonus.

When the two teams arrived at the winter meetings, a trade seemed imminent. However, one source familiar with the discussions said he now believes it's more unlikely than likely that that trade will get finalized.

In the meantime, the Cardinals are talking with the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers about Rolen. And it's possible, though not probable, that they could complete a deal with one of those teams before the meetings end Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3141330

Thats more of a deal that I thought Melvin would think "a lot" from.

This "top prospect" would likely be one of Jeremy Jeffress who has a huge upside with being able to touch triple digits, but he is a pothead. Or Alcides Escobar, a SS who I like but I'm not sure how much better he is than Jose Martinez, but scouts like Escobar more as he's mostly all tools right now. And my last thought is it could be Manny Parra who is ML ready.

This deal is so much different than the other one it's not even funny. And yet the Cards still won't do it, come on Melvin give us a little more. But really I would love if the Cards could get LaRoche from the Dodgers instead of this deal, and that would mean getting Rolen out of the division, so if LA would include LaRoche I would love to say goodbye to Rolen.
StlFan21
Ballboy

Post#15 » by StlFan21 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 12:00 am

I agree, to me the deal with the Brewers seemed like one that you at least have to put some serious thought into. But on the other hand I would much rather trade rolen to the dodgers. I just hope the Cards know what there doing, with Miguel Cabrera off the market maybe the Cards will get some better offers.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Dec 5, 2007 3:53 am

It can only help the Cardinals that Cabrera went off the market this quickly. Let the Rolen Auction begin! :D

You also have to figure that Brandon Inge is now available. Assuming Rolen is on the way out, is Inge someone the Cardinals would be interested in? Do you think the Tigers would deal with us?
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:14 am

^Well they have to trade with us because we still have to get Bonderman from them, come on Mo. As far as Inge, I would rather just sign Pedro Feliz, but this is even better:
The Dodgers are now the team in hottest pursuit of Cardinals third baseman Scott Rolen, according to major-league sources.

The Brewers had been the front-runner, but their talks with the Cardinals cooled early Tuesday and appear unlikely to revive.

The Cardinals' preference is to trade Rolen out of the division. The Dodgers are seeking an upgrade at third base, but likely would want the Cardinals to assume a portion of the $33 million remaining on Rolen's contract.

Several other teams also are interested in Rolen, including the Angels, who failed in their efforts to acquire Miguel Cabrera from the Marlins.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7526 ... 162&ATT=49

LaRoche :pray:

Return to St. Louis Cardinals